PDA

View Full Version : RIP TravelMom

TravelGal
03-30-15, 09:27 PM
About 30 minutes ago, my beautiful, wonderful, caring, funny, creative Mom finally met her Lord for all eternity. They had met before, when she was so terribly ill when I was a child, so she knew with certainly those things the rest of us believe but do not know. She literally passed away, calmly and in no pain. I will be flying to Florida tomorrow. There will be a memorial service in a few weeks.

I was not with her when she died because I had been here in California for 10 days, nursing TravelGuy back to health from a bout of pneumonia. Just before I left Florida, I wrote the piece below for her. It was obvious what was happening and it gave me solace to understand why it was taking so long. The part I will always remember is that just yesterday TravelGuy was strong enough to get out of bed. Somehow, in the cosmos, she knew that--that it was okay that I leave him now for a while

On the Shore

We rest here by the water’s edge, my mother and I. It has been a long journey of 101 years for her. There have been many incredible mountain tops and, literally, the valley of death. All experienced and overcome with joy and love and, above all, a knowledge that God is with us in our Savior Jesus Christ.

We rest here now, watching the water lap at the shore. Wondering, waiting. For what, I muse. As the days pass, I see others making their way along the shore. They are coming. Coming to her. Coming to pay her homage. In groups or ones and twos, they come daily. She greets them and smiles slightly. It is all she can manage now. They pour out their love and affection, returning the love she has spread so generously for so many years. They tell me how honored they are just be in her presence. “She is different,” they say, “She is special.” I know that, having been her daughter for all these years.

She is not dying. Not now. Not yet. Yet the people come. They know her days must of necessity be numbered. They want to see her. To be with her for a few minutes. To pray for her and with her. We are the luckiest people on earth.

dando
03-30-15, 09:39 PM
Thoughts and prayers, TG. She's in a better place now. :)

gerhard911
03-30-15, 09:46 PM
My most heartfelt condolences TravelGal. From your posts and frequent trips it was obvious that you loved and cared about your mother very much. Loss of a dear loved one is never easy. Lean on those closest to you, they can help. Godspeed...

pfc_m_drake
03-30-15, 11:04 PM
Heartfelt condolences for your loss.

SteveH
03-30-15, 11:18 PM
Peace, my friend.

G.
03-31-15, 12:54 AM
I am sorry for your loss. She raised a caring daughter.

chop456
03-31-15, 01:59 AM
Sorry to hear that, M.

nrc
03-31-15, 02:40 AM
Thank you for sharing those beautiful sentiments. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Gnam
03-31-15, 02:44 AM
:( Sad news. You have my sympathies, TravelGal.
Sounds like TravelMom was looking out for you until the end. :)

Kiwifan
03-31-15, 02:47 AM
Oh Gal, so sorry to hear that tonight. Our thoughts are with you and your Family.

As already stated she raised a wonderful caring daughter.

Make sure you take care of yourself and TravelGuy.

Russell and Lesley.

WickerBill
03-31-15, 06:38 AM
Wishing you all the peace there is, TravelGal. Travel safely, and let those (no doubt countless) memories wash over you in your moments of quiet and alone time.

KLang
03-31-15, 07:25 AM
Condolences TravelGal.

RaceGrrl
03-31-15, 09:18 AM
What a beautiful tribute you've written to her. I think you're right- she knew that it was ok to go. That's the thing about mothers: they know... they always know. Just as you felt blessed that she was your mom, I'm sure she felt just as blessed to have raised such a loving daughter. My heart hurts for you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers in the weeks and months ahead.

Insomniac
03-31-15, 09:24 AM
So sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you. It does make me smile to think about how much time you spent with your Mom despite literally being across the country. You will have so many great memories.

Elmo T
03-31-15, 10:29 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.

Jim

Don Quixote
03-31-15, 10:31 AM
So sorry. Beautiful words. :(

datachicane
03-31-15, 10:48 AM
Peace and condolences, TravelGal.

Napoleon
03-31-15, 12:58 PM
Condolences TravelGal. It sounds like you should have plenty of cherished memories to look back on with her.

cameraman
03-31-15, 02:44 PM
So sorry to hear this. I am so sorry for your loss.
:(

trauma1
03-31-15, 04:03 PM
Saying a prayer for your mother and you and your family. God be with her and you. Great tribute.

TKGAngel
03-31-15, 07:20 PM
Beautiful words about your Mom, TravelGal. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

TravelGal
04-03-15, 02:45 PM
Many thanks to everyone who posted. It really helps a lot. Reality, or should I say, finality, is setting in now that all the arrangements have been made and there is time to think about the enormity of what has happened. It's a hard time for me but even more so for her friends who mourn so intensely. I've realized I feel sad but I don't feel bad because she was always an angel here on earth. Now she is where she belongs. I'm happy for her. It was always about what was best for her.

dando
04-03-15, 03:51 PM
Many thanks to everyone who posted. It really helps a lot. Reality, or should I say, finality, is setting in now that all the arrangements have been made and there is time to think about the enormity of what has happened. It's a hard time for me but even more so for her friends who mourn so intensely. I've realized I feel sad but I don't feel bad because she was always an angel here on earth. Now she is where she belongs. I'm happy for her. It was always about what was best for her.

Peace and love. :)

-Kevin

trish
04-09-15, 08:18 PM
I'm sorry for your loss TravelGal.

TravelGal
04-10-15, 04:25 PM
Thanks, Trish. I remember meeting in Las Vegas so I appreciate your stopping by in this thread. We're get into the deeper waters now. The death certificate just arrived by Priority Mail about 10 minutes ago. Not too sure when I'll be able to look at it. Reading the sympathy cards (do them to your friends, even if you don't know what to say), planning the memorial service. It all brings out the tears but I am confident that they are for us, not for her. I can't write any more because, you know, :(

SteveH
04-10-15, 05:51 PM
hugs

dando
04-10-15, 08:28 PM
TG, PM your snail mail address. I'd like to have girls make cards as a project.

TravelGal
04-11-15, 01:06 PM
dando, I think that is a wonderful idea. Not for me so much, although I very much appreciate it, but for them. My cousins did this sort of thing with their children (now in high school). It helped them develop a sense of self and how they relate to the larger world.

I'm better today. I just read the death certificate in full. TravelMom contributed to society even in her peaceful passing. They list "Alzheimer's disease" as the cause. Although she did not have Alzheimer's (her short term memory was gone but she knew everyone and was completely rational, cognitively appropriate, sweet, and caring until the end), and Alzheimer's can only truly be known after death, listing it as a cause of death will lead to grant money for research. We all know that the causes listed as the number X killer of Americans are the ones that get funded.