PDA

View Full Version : Penske 1-2-3-4...

NismoZ
03-29-15, 08:53 AM
...in qualifying at St. Pete. GOSH, this ought to be exciting!?:rolleyes:

Hard Driver
03-29-15, 11:40 AM
New Track record too, beat the Champcar track record by Bourdais in 2003. Seems like the aero kits really generate downforce and cornering speed.

Still ugly, but actually I think they look a bit better than last year. The weird whale bulges in front of the rear tires are gone on both aero kits.

NismoZ
03-29-15, 02:41 PM
Faster, 12 years to break an old record, ugly but functional...I'm OK with all that. My point was about the possibility of total domination by one team this weekend...and/or all season! Better racing is more important to me than better looks or breaking ancient records. I'm not even anti-Penske...you know, just one of those "true race fans!":laugh: Kinda waiting to see how many of those keen new aero parts get strewn all over the track, too.

NismoZ
03-29-15, 05:02 PM
And, there we have it..."debris, debris, debris!"...they even have a graphic on screen, titled "Lost Wings"...Honda-3...Chevy-0. SOMEbody has a sense of humor over this.:)

Hard Driver
03-29-15, 07:48 PM
You called that debris... Chevy kits can take a light hit and only lose the little winglet and keep going.... Honda kits seem like they hand grenade on the slightest tap.

Not the best race, but the Power / Montoya battle was entertaining enough.

TravelGal
03-30-15, 01:05 AM
You called that debris... Chevy kits can take a light hit and only lose the little winglet and keep going.... Honda kits seem like they hand grenade on the slightest tap.

Not the best race, but the Power / Montoya battle was entertaining enough.

The cars look wider, sound weirder, drop their pieces/parts everywhere and the announcers were, oh nevermind. Thank heavens for fast forward which turns off the sound. Agree about the last 20 laps or so, however. That part wasn't as bad but. The overhead shots were good also. They gave you some idea of more than a single file.

I really do find it hard to watch these days. The more time passes, the more I miss the good old days.

NismoZ
03-30-15, 09:25 AM
I have nothing against the drivers...the best guys are the best guys...but NINE of 'em on the top two teams (eventually)...Kanaan must be the biggest story of the weekend, having penetrated the Penske armor! Seems England is on the way to dominating the field someday as some of their best drivers in Indy Lights are finding success there. (Those 450 hp "SuperAtlantics";) look and sound good and it's too bad they can only muster a 13 car field!) Team Carlin, Ed Jones, Max Chilton (yep, "Marussia Max!") Jack Harvey...all look very good. "Americans" include Scott Hargrove from Canada and Matt Brabham (yeah, he just "grew up in Australia", he's a Floridian!)...and Spencer Pigot. (Certain title threat!) ANYway...the top rung of the Mazda ladder is pretty narrow. They need 10 more starters!

trauma1
03-30-15, 03:53 PM
Half the dribblers are pay drivers the other half ready to go on the AARP plan. WGAF

Chief
03-30-15, 04:31 PM
Great bodykits...apparently someone got bonked in the brain with a bumper or something AFTER it flew over a grandstand. Fine work Indycar, fine work. :thumbdown:

There is a picture of someone with EMS personnel receiving aid on a bodyboard but it would not attach here...sorry. This is from Facebook postings with Robin Miller via TF:

I said these aero kits would potentially kill someone with hundreds of pieces subject to fly off. Chavez's RR deflector flew above my top row seat while I ducked, spinning in mid air and then embedded itself into a woman BEHIND the grandstand. Stop these aero kits before they kill someone. I have video too and may send this to IndyCar.

I agree with the aero kit theory, but not the practicality and implementation. Sadly, this accident shows the shortcomings in not being 100% diligent.

The video I have is the aftermath showing that my seat being the top row wasn't outside the damage path. It literally looked like a carbon fiber helicopter spinning above me while I could read the number 8. (from his 98 winglet). Nobody knew this happened and I stayed after the race in the paddock to talk to Cotman/Barfield/anyone that would be interested in the name of fan safety. If you want more photos and this video, let me know.

NismoZ
03-30-15, 07:12 PM
Wings FLY...who'd a thunk!? :tony:

Chief
03-30-15, 07:35 PM
Wings FLY...who'd a thunk!? :tony:

ANYTHING IMS does is botched. And that doesn't count the Indy Lights because Dan Anderson has done a fine job so far. Why it has to be saddled as the undercard of the IRL Indycarz series is a damn shame...one that in all likelihood will kill it.

NismoZ
03-31-15, 08:58 AM
EXACTLY right!...a stand-alone SuperAtlantic series is something I envisioned LONG ago. MAZDA gets it. Young and hopeful drivers get it...and not just those in Indyland. The only thing more Cotman could push for would be to unleash a 600hp turbo MZR-R and convince Mazda to leave the nest...and pull the rest of the ladder UP with him! SuperAtlantic ROAD racing! Team up with Tudor, Trans Am, PWC...whoever! Sports cars and open wheelers on the same weekend! I'd pitch a tent ANYwhere that could put on a show like that!

Chief
03-31-15, 12:08 PM
EXACTLY right!...a stand-alone SuperAtlantic series ....Sports cars and open wheelers on the same weekend! I'd pitch a tent ANYwhere that could put on a show like that!

Me too EXCEPT if the Indycars are on the schedule, that's a deal killer for me.

NismoZ
03-31-15, 01:20 PM
Oh, I just thought that would be a given!:D

Elmo T
03-31-15, 02:08 PM
IndyCar: Fan injured by debris at St. Petersburg (http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/115036-indycar-fan-injured-by-debris-at-st-petersburg)

This was not "just a flesh wound". :saywhat:

A fan walking behind the grandstands of Sunday's IndyCar opener at St. Petersburg was struck by a flying piece of debris from a car and suffered a fractured skull.

And remind me not to read the comments on those articles.

trauma1
03-31-15, 04:22 PM
Come on. I'm sure hirl crash tested the car and areo kits.Opps forgot we're talking about hirl death sleds. They didn't crash test crap.

NismoZ
04-01-15, 09:00 AM
Crash testing will be done during the regular season...on track...a money saving move.:thumbup::tony:

trauma1
04-01-15, 10:59 AM
Crash testing will be done during the regular season...on track...a money saving move.:thumbup::tony:

I forgot about that program:rofl: