PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of quitters around here

G.
03-25-15, 12:55 PM
Looking back at some old threads. Truebrit, klang, RacinM3 (!), dando, etc. all kicked the smoking habit, and hopefully stayed off.

A few other kicked the habit, but in different ways. :(

So I finally got off my ass and stopped smoking this past Saturday. Failure is not an option, relapse is not a possibility.

Cold turkey. I have some E-cigs, but I will only use those in a dire emergency - when I am feeling completely homicidal - and even then, only as a weapon. ;)

So, it turns out that a younger relative of mine also quit on Saturday. He was convinced of this decision while surrounded by 10-15 medical personnel in the ER. He got off lucky.

I hope that I remain luckier.

WickerBill
03-25-15, 01:00 PM
It's Wednesday - how is it going? You didn't mention how the first few days were, which are undoubtedly amongst the hardest.

Great work!!

G.
03-25-15, 01:19 PM
It's Wednesday - how is it going? You didn't mention how the first few days were, which are undoubtedly amongst the hardest.

Great work!!

I met the challenge Head-On, with great Fortitude, Stamina, and Strength.
I slept. Screw that, who wants to be awake through that pain?:)

Curious, I'm wondering if I am going to be able to teach myself narcolepsy - things get stressful, I nod right off. :\

Still rough right now. I REALLY need my concentration to return.

It's a PITA to realize that you just went out to the workshop for the sole purpose of having a smoke. Also, my hour-ish commute, that I never really minded before, now seems more silly.

cameraman
03-25-15, 01:25 PM
I quit before I ever started due to some intensive aversion therapy as a child. Every Sunday after the service they had coffee hour at our church. I'm old so we are talking about ceramic cups and saucers for the coffee and more than half the folks smoking up a storm indoors. I was tasked with helping out and spent my time collecting the used cups & saucers and there was always sodden cigarette butts and ashes on the saucers and in the cups, portable ash trays essentially. It was seriously gross. I did that for about 6 years and we were at church every Sunday. I so grew to loathe cigarettes that I never once was even slightly interested in smoking. That was the one wonderful thing about moving to Utah from New York, the number of smokers around me plummeted to near zero, I only know four people in town who smoke. Four.

dando
03-25-15, 01:35 PM
Hang in there. I tried the Nicorette route gum and patch, but it didn't last. So 11 years ago I stopped. Cold. Flipping. Turkey. I hit myself with a clue stick just before our oldest DD's first birthday. I had my last just after the tOSU vs. Texas game at The Shoe (Ank Bowl). I've had a couple since in social situations since, but I don't miss it at all. The first week is rough, but looking back, it was easy peezy lemon squeezy.

TravelGal
03-25-15, 01:58 PM
Good for you G. Major props. It's a life change that's for sure. As you're finding, there is the physical aspect and then realizing, hey, you've got all this additional time. No more shed trips for smokes. A long commute that could be used doing something else like bluetooth phone, books on tape, music, whatever. I'm only half joking when I say, "Think of the little ones." The little g's will reap the benefits as much as you do. I'm proud of you.

Gnam
03-25-15, 02:50 PM
Motivational material:

http://s9.postimg.org/ne385vnhb/4921.jpg

http://s14.postimg.org/nrl4ljrpd/Bruce_Lee_Picture_Quote.png

Always remember, as a smoker, you stink. Bad.

KLang
03-25-15, 03:24 PM
Good luck to you G. :thumbup:

My last smoke was on January 21 2007 thanks to Chantix.