PDA

View Full Version : Desktop won't boot

TravelGal
03-24-15, 01:55 AM
OK friends, I think I broke my computer. I had a web email and gmail open. Left them open for a few hours and when I returned and when to move down the page, it went pale. From then on nothing would respond to command. I waited several minutes. I couldn't get it close or turn off either. No response. Windows 7 home edition. Sooooooo, I turned it off manually. I've done this before, waited, and turned it back on. This time, I get to black screens with white letters. PXE-E53: No boot filename received PXI-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key. No blue screen of death but no booting either.

I can get into the BIOS. I saw that Quick Boot was disabled so I enabled that. No effect.

Anything you can suggest before I haul it into the Geek Squad?

Thanks.

cameraman
03-24-15, 03:10 AM
The PXE stuff means the computer is trying to boot off of a network and isn't finding one. I'm going to guess that it is trying to boot off a network because it can't find a hard drive. A second guess being that it can't find the hard drive cuz it died. Either that or your bios is suddenly quite unhappy. Either way I'd say load it up and take it to your favorite repair shop.

Kiwifan
03-24-15, 05:21 AM
Oh Gal, sorry to hear that. Hope you have a backup if indeed the hard drive fried.

I had a similar fault a few months back after a Windows update, the dreaded Black Screen of death, nothing would boot. Luckily my geeky dealer managed to claw it back but it wasn't a nice feeling waiting for it to be repaired. I did have two backups so wasn't overly worried but could have done without the hassle.

Hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

WickerBill
03-24-15, 06:54 AM
Cameraman is right on with PXE boot diagnosis. Computer isn't seeing the hard drive anymore. This could be because the hard drive died (can you hear it spinning?), the hard drive controller died, or the hard drive has been corrupted.

Hope you were backing up any personal stuff! If not, say so, and we can maybe help you with recovery ideas.

pfc_m_drake
03-24-15, 07:57 AM
Just to add a minor point to what Cameraman and WB said: I agree that it sounds like the computer can no longer 'see' the hard drive through the BIOS. What may have happened (if you're lucky) is that the BIOS battery died - particularly if the computer is ~3 or more years old. The battery allows the computer to retain all of the hardware setup settings when it is powered off. If that battery dies, the computer will often revert back to a 'default' state - in your case trying to boot from the network.

Here's an idea: If you *can* hear the hard drive spin-up when you power on the computer, then on the very first screen that comes up when you turn on the computer, is there anything that says something to the effect of 'Hit F1 for boot menu'? (Or anything similar)?

If there *is*, then hit the key it says (usually delete or F1) and see if you can select the hard drive as the boot device. If that *works* then it is likely a matter of replacing the BIOS battery and reconfiguring all of your settings. If not, then hopefully you have some backups, because it sounds more serious.

TravelGal
03-24-15, 12:12 PM
Just to add a minor point to what Cameraman and WB said: I agree that it sounds like the computer can no longer 'see' the hard drive through the BIOS. What may have happened (if you're lucky) is that the BIOS battery died - particularly if the computer is ~3 or more years old. The battery allows the computer to retain all of the hardware setup settings when it is powered off. If that battery dies, the computer will often revert back to a 'default' state - in your case trying to boot from the network.

Here's an idea: If you *can* hear the hard drive spin-up when you power on the computer, then on the very first screen that comes up when you turn on the computer, is there anything that says something to the effect of 'Hit F1 for boot menu'? (Or anything similar)?

If there *is*, then hit the key it says (usually delete or F1) and see if you can select the hard drive as the boot device. If that *works* then it is likely a matter of replacing the BIOS battery and reconfiguring all of your settings. If not, then hopefully you have some backups, because it sounds more serious.

(Lack of) progress report. I loved this idea so tried it. The hard drive is happily humming and it makes all the normal start up sounds. The Lenvovo screen comes on and I press "Enter" to stop the normal start up process. Then I hit Esc S and from there nothing like the choice above. Network Boot Protocol is PXE [only]. Boot Order is Use BIOS Setup Boot Order [only].

If I choose F1, I get into the BIOS Setup Utility. Main, Device, Advanced, Power, Security, StartUp, Exit. StartUp choices are Boot Settings Setup , Primary Boot Sequence, Error Boot Sequence, Automatic Boot Sequence.

I tried Error Book Sequence and see 1st Boot Device as Removable Dev. but 2nd Boot Device Hard Drive. When I hit enter, a blue box appears with Removable Dev., Hard Drive HIGHLIGHTED, CD/DVD, Network, Disabled. Problem is that hitting enter just makes that blue box appear and disappear. I'm thinking that since the hard drive is listed in the boot sequence, it's looking there but, as you all say, not seeing it. The only thing I don't get is that under the right side "Help Message Options" it lists those same 5 choices. That is, the last thing it says is Disabled. Hmmm. Just for giggles, I changed the order to put Hard Drive first but it had no effect.

Everything is saved except the entire April newsletter I wrote for my travel agent group yesterday morning because I save at night not on the fly. TravelGuy has an automatic outside hard drive but I don't. Siiiiigh. I've known this (that) thing was dying. I bought it when Circuit City was going out of business and have it on all day every day when I'm home because I have a home office. A few months ago I sought advice about whether the video card or the hard drive was going. I guess it was the later. I've been dithering about notebooks but basically avoiding a decision until today. I'll haul it to Best Buy but if they say two weeks (which is what they say in Florida), I'll just junk it. Advice on how to get that one Word file would be appreciated because once I wrote the newsletter, I delete the source material so it's all gone if I can't get that one file back. Bugger.

cameraman
03-24-15, 12:47 PM
I don't suppose you have an external recovery USB stick that you use to boot the machine? That might just be an OSX thing.

One thing about those recovery USB sticks that people don't realize is they work much better with a wired keyboard. A bluetooth keyboard can be a real PITA to get the command typed in the milliseconds or so between the chime and when the OS moves on to the next step.

TravelGal
03-24-15, 01:03 PM
I don't suppose you have an external recovery USB stick that you use to boot the machine? That might just be an OSX thing.

One thing about those recovery USB sticks that people don't realize is they work much better with a wired keyboard. A bluetooth keyboard can be a real PITA to get the command typed in the milliseconds or so between the chime and when the OS moves on to the next step.

That would be too sensible. No, I don't have a USB recovery stick. Something I should investigate when I get my NEW computer. Guess I'll go graze the Best Buy/Office Depot/Staples ads.

pfc_m_drake
03-24-15, 02:29 PM
(Lack of) progress report. I loved this idea so tried it. The hard drive is happily humming and it makes all the normal start up sounds. The Lenvovo screen comes on and I press "Enter" to stop the normal start up process. Then I hit Esc S and from there nothing like the choice above. Network Boot Protocol is PXE [only]. Boot Order is Use BIOS Setup Boot Order [only].

If I choose F1, I get into the BIOS Setup Utility. Main, Device, Advanced, Power, Security, StartUp, Exit. StartUp choices are Boot Settings Setup , Primary Boot Sequence, Error Boot Sequence, Automatic Boot Sequence.

I tried Error Book Sequence and see 1st Boot Device as Removable Dev. but 2nd Boot Device Hard Drive. When I hit enter, a blue box appears with Removable Dev., Hard Drive HIGHLIGHTED, CD/DVD, Network, Disabled. Problem is that hitting enter just makes that blue box appear and disappear. I'm thinking that since the hard drive is listed in the boot sequence, it's looking there but, as you all say, not seeing it. The only thing I don't get is that under the right side "Help Message Options" it lists those same 5 choices. That is, the last thing it says is Disabled. Hmmm. Just for giggles, I changed the order to put Hard Drive first but it had no effect.

Everything is saved except the entire April newsletter I wrote for my travel agent group yesterday morning because I save at night not on the fly. TravelGuy has an automatic outside hard drive but I don't. Siiiiigh. I've known this (that) thing was dying. I bought it when Circuit City was going out of business and have it on all day every day when I'm home because I have a home office. A few months ago I sought advice about whether the video card or the hard drive was going. I guess it was the later. I've been dithering about notebooks but basically avoiding a decision until today. I'll haul it to Best Buy but if they say two weeks (which is what they say in Florida), I'll just junk it. Advice on how to get that one Word file would be appreciated because once I wrote the newsletter, I delete the source material so it's all gone if I can't get that one file back. Bugger.It *sounds* like all your settings in the BIOS were ok - which (at first glance) points to either loose cables or hard drive failure, likely the latter.

Regarding how to get the one file back, it seems like you have two good options at this point (assuming the HD isn't hurt too bad):
1) As cameraman suggests - some flavor of bootable USB key might allow you to boot the system and copy the file off
2) Alternatively (this is my personal favorite), if you have a friend with a working computer you can pop your HD out of your computer and connect it to the working computer as an auxiliary (non-booting) drive. You then boot the working computer and copy the file off of the bad hard drive onto the good one. The process is even easier if you have a friend who has a HD docking station, but the idea is that *your* hard drive might have corruption/damage to the bootable portion, but hopefully still works well enough to recover your file.

TravelGal
03-24-15, 04:02 PM
It *sounds* like all your settings in the BIOS were ok - which (at first glance) points to either loose cables or hard drive failure, likely the latter.

Regarding how to get the one file back, it seems like you have two good options at this point (assuming the HD isn't hurt too bad):
1) As cameraman suggests - some flavor of bootable USB key might allow you to boot the system and copy the file off
2) Alternatively (this is my personal favorite), if you have a friend with a working computer you can pop your HD out of your computer and connect it to the working computer as an auxiliary (non-booting) drive. You then boot the working computer and copy the file off of the bad hard drive onto the good one. The process is even easier if you have a friend who has a HD docking station, but the idea is that *your* hard drive might have corruption/damage to the bootable portion, but hopefully still works well enough to recover your file.

Me likey!!! Does it matter if it's the same operating system? TravelGuy's desktop is the same as mine. This laptop is rarely used, therefore expendable if I do something stoooopid, but it has [prepare yourself] VISTA on it.

cameraman
03-24-15, 04:20 PM
To use a laptop you would have to have an external drive enclosure for the hard drive. If your other desktop has a free drive slot you could plug the drive in and see if it spins up.

TravelGal
03-24-15, 04:59 PM
To use a laptop you would have to have an external drive enclosure for the hard drive. If your other desktop has a free drive slot you could plug the drive in and see if it spins up.

Oh duh, thanks for that. I should have known that. Obviously, I hadn't given it any real thought. I'm trying to juggle a few too many things. today.

pfc_m_drake
03-24-15, 08:31 PM
Me likey!!! Does it matter if it's the same operating system? TravelGuy's desktop is the same as mine. This laptop is rarely used, therefore expendable if I do something stoooopid, but it has [prepare yourself] VISTA on it.Using Vista is ok, but as cameraman said, you'll need one of these. (http://www.freecom.com/files/Productinformation/ExternalHardDrives/HardDriveDockingStations/HardDriveDockPro/Pictures/Web/Large/Hard-Drive-Dock-Pro_photo1.jpg)

If you're in South Florida on the East Side, I have one that you're welcome to borrow.

dando
03-24-15, 11:26 PM
Just Guessin' ;) but it may be a File Allocation Table (FAT) that is corrupt...although the error messages usually indicate as such. The FAT is the boot sector on the HD, and if it's gone...no boot. Data should be recoverable, but will require more tools than you will likely have or want to use. I *hate* hard drive failures and recovery. :\

TravelGal
03-25-15, 01:49 AM
Using Vista is ok, but as cameraman said, you'll need one of these. (http://www.freecom.com/files/Productinformation/ExternalHardDrives/HardDriveDockingStations/HardDriveDockPro/Pictures/Web/Large/Hard-Drive-Dock-Pro_photo1.jpg)

If you're in South Florida on the East Side, I have one that you're welcome to borrow.

thanks PFC. I'm actually in CA for the first time in 12 weeks. When I'm in FL I'm on the West side anyway. Too bad. Would have been fun to meet up.

Just Guessin' ;) but it may be a File Allocation Table (FAT) that is corrupt...:\

:D Good one, Kev.

The Travel household will have a look at this in the morning. I had a dinner seminar on Tahiti tonight (great value this year because the dollar is so strong against the Euro) and you KNOW I would prefer that to dorking around making a mess of my computer. ;)

Kiwifan
03-25-15, 05:06 AM
Tahiti eh? You would nearly be in our backyard and I have a PC you could borrow. :D

Good luck Gal.

Insomniac
03-25-15, 08:11 PM
I'd mention if the hard drive is still spinning, it may be worth having someone take a look at it.

TravelGal
03-26-15, 01:36 AM
I'd mention if the hard drive is still spinning, it may be worth having someone take a look at it.

We caved and took the unit to the Geek Squad. They say the hard disk is spinning but it's clicking. It was not clicking here in the house until it's not audible to the normal ear. They say they cannot read it so they can't recover the one measly two-page Word document I'd like them to get. I am not amused.

WickerBill
03-26-15, 09:08 AM
That's kind of a sketchy answer. Hopefully they didn't "make it click" in order to avoid the work.

If it is worth it to you, get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Docking-Station-DS-UBLK/dp/B00IKAQ538/

Get your clicky hard drive out of your PC, put it in this dock (no tools, literally plug and go), and plug the unit in to another computer's USB port to see if you can see the drive.

Of course, for $23 plus waiting for it to arrive, you may be able to just re-create the document.

Next computer, get CrashPlan. You can use the free version and have yours and TravelGuy's back up to each other, or you can pay $5/mo and back them up to a cloud (which is safest, because the data is offsite, protecting you from losing data in a flood or fire or theft).

KLang
03-26-15, 09:54 AM
Another option going forward is a free Dropbox account to store your documents in the cloud.

dando
03-26-15, 10:42 AM
Another option going forward is a free Dropbox account to store your documents in the cloud.

I'll second Dropbox. Docs, etc. available across devices (PCs, tablet, cell, etc.).

EDIT: a cheapo flash drive is also a good back up option if you don't need to access files across devices. I keep one on my key chain.

EDIT 2: A quickie update to Dropbox will allow 50GB+ for free. Simply complete a few quick steps...share a folder, etc. and you'll be upgraded to 50GB+ from the default 2GB (free).

WickerBill
03-26-15, 11:34 AM

Yeah, that's a very good option as well. Just be aware the file size and total size limits to the free version; if you want to save video it may be a problem.

TravelGal
03-26-15, 12:57 PM
That's kind of a sketchy answer. Hopefully they didn't "make it click" in order to avoid the work.

If it is worth it to you, get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Docking-Station-DS-UBLK/dp/B00IKAQ538/

Get your clicky hard drive out of your PC, put it in this dock (no tools, literally plug and go), and plug the unit in to another computer's USB port to see if you can see the drive.

Of course, for $23 plus waiting for it to arrive, you may be able to just re-create the document.

Next computer, get CrashPlan. You can use the free version and have yours and TravelGuy's back up to each other, or you can pay $5/mo and back them up to a cloud (which is safest, because the data is offsite, protecting you from losing data in a flood or fire or theft).

Thanks everyone. I agree about the sketchy answer. They are also saying we have to order the Windows 7 install from Lenovo even though we have the key because they have to install it with all the cr@p Lenovo installs. They didn't use those words of course. We made the disks when we bought the computer so that's not an issue. It's the reason they are using to avoid the work that frosts me. Can't say I'm looking forward to the hours of upgrades from the basic install either plus the programs.

I'll look into CrashPlan. I looked at the Sabrent and put it in my "cart." Good to have one for future use. TravelGuy uses a "Click It" for his and my computer and I use a USB. That's why I'm only missing what I had done that day. WB's correct that for the immediate problem, I'll just rewrite the newsletter. I finally realized that I do still have the source material. I thought it was deleted but that was on the hard drive, not from the USB back up from the day before.

Earlier this month, I asked the friend I stay with in Florida to show me how to put my documents into my Dropbox account. I have been using it for pictures for a couple of years, downloading directly from the camera. She never showed me so I never did it. Fact is, I struggle learning what I need to know because of the lack of instruction with all these programs. It's hour after hour of trial and error with the terror that I'll irrevocably screw something up. It's time-consuming and nerve wracking so I admit it usually finds its way to the bottom of my to-do list.

dando
03-26-15, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I agree about the sketchy answer. They are also saying we have to order the Windows 7 install from Lenovo even though we have the key because they have to install it with all the cr@p Lenovo installs. They didn't use those words of course. We made the disks when we bought the computer so that's not an issue. It's the reason they are using to avoid the work that frosts me. Can't say I'm looking forward to the hours of upgrades from the basic install either plus the programs.

I'll look into CrashPlan. I looked at the Sabrent and put it in my "cart." Good to have one for future use. TravelGuy uses a "Click It" for his and my computer and I use a USB. That's why I'm only missing what I had done that day. WB's correct that for the immediate problem, I'll just rewrite the newsletter. I finally realized that I do still have the source material. I thought it was deleted but that was on the hard drive, not from the USB back up from the day before.

Earlier this month, I asked the friend I stay with in Florida to show me how to put my documents into my Dropbox account. I have been using it for pictures for a couple of years, downloading directly from the camera. She never showed me so I never did it. Fact is, I struggle learning what I need to know because of the lack of instruction with all these programs. It's hour after hour of trial and error with the terror that I'll irrevocably screw something up. It's time-consuming and nerve wracking so I admit it usually finds its way to the bottom of my to-do list.

Dropbox is bloody simple. Create a folder, select upload, bingo. Heck, if Elmo can figure it out...like my dad used to say, "even a blind squirrel...". :gomer: ;)

Elmo T
03-26-15, 02:40 PM
Amazon has their own cloud thing going now too. Liking that over Dropbox.

Google Drive is easy to use as well.

dando
03-26-15, 02:58 PM
Amazon has their own cloud thing going now too. Liking that over Dropbox.

Google Drive is easy to use as well.

Drive is for GOOG one-stop shopping. The UI is a bit more user friendly. Unlike other Amazon crack, like Prime, etc., I haven't ventured that way...yet. Of course, I always worry about GOOG retiring products. :saywhat: