PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Fry to replace Jeremy Clarkson?

datachicane
03-19-15, 05:45 PM
Sign me up for that ride.

:thumbup:

Gnam
03-19-15, 06:02 PM
Fry, 57, has appeared on Top Gear twice and has been obsessed by classic cars ever since leaving university.

However, his driving skills leave a lot to be desired.
He has been repeatedly prosecuted for speeding and became one of the few Top Gear guests not only to crash the Reasonably Priced Car, but to write it off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3001616/Fry-revs-replace-Clarkson.html
How about No. Maybe to replace James May, but Clarkson? Pffft. Not even. :rolleyes:

cameraman
03-19-15, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure about that.

WBZXGxCXhFI

nrc
03-19-15, 06:18 PM
I suppose he's one of the few people I can see as potentially fitting but I think he lacks in pure Luddite offensiveness.

gjc2
03-19-15, 06:44 PM
I’m surprised this thing with Clarkson is getting so much ink. I generally like Top Gear, although it does sometimes get a bit tedious. But whether Jeremy Clarkson stays, or goes, or even if Top Gear goes off the air I’m not going to lose any sleep.

cameraman
03-19-15, 06:56 PM
I’m surprised this thing with Clarkson is getting so much ink. I generally like Top Gear, although it does sometimes get a bit tedious. But whether Jeremy Clarkson stays, or goes, or even if Top Gear goes off the air I’m not going to lose any sleep.

The show nets the BBC on the order of 50 million pounds a year in worldwide distribution. It is their biggest money maker by far.

gjc2
03-19-15, 07:13 PM
The show nets the BBC on the order of 50 million pounds a year in worldwide distribution. It is their biggest money maker by far.

That's the biggest show? Wow.

By the way is a "quid" slang for a British pound?

opinionated ow
03-20-15, 06:42 AM
That's the biggest show? Wow.

By the way is a "quid" slang for a British pound?

Yes.

Stephen Fry...no way. No way Stephen Fry could replace Clarkson. Clarkson's appeal is his alpha male, red blooded heterosexuality.

dando
03-24-15, 08:37 PM
Decision coming soon...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/24/jeremy-clarkson-decision-about-24-hours-away-says-senior-bbc-executive

opinionated ow
03-25-15, 10:30 AM
Gone. Lord Hall reckons Top Gear will continue in 2016. I highly doubt it will be with Hammond or May. Chris Evans ruled himself out on radio this morning. There are suggestions that people like Jodie Kidd would do it. I call bs on that one because the lovely leggy Jodie is one of Clarkson's besties.

Gnam
03-25-15, 11:58 AM
:laugh:

http://s11.postimg.org/oqkgiqhqr/stig_tank_bbc2.jpg

It was fun while it lasted. Great show.

WickerBill
03-25-15, 12:49 PM
PetrolHeads on HBO in 2016 with Clarkson, May, Hammond... I'll watch.

cameraman
03-25-15, 01:30 PM
Sigh. My son will NOT be impressed.

datachicane
03-25-15, 05:48 PM
Well, if punching out your producer and sending him to the hospital isn't enough to end your employment, what WOULD it take? I honestly don't think the BBC had any choice on this one. He certainly never showed much inclination to learn from any of his previous second chances. I'm sorry to see him go, but there's no one to blame other than Clarkson himself.

cameraman
03-25-15, 05:51 PM
Well, if punching out your producer and sending him to the hospital isn't enough to end your employment, what WOULD it take? I honestly don't think the BBC had any choice on this one. He certainly never showed much inclination to learn from any of his previous second chances. I'm sorry to see him go, but there's no one to blame other than Clarkson himself.

There is no room for logic in any of this:flaming:

Gnam
03-25-15, 06:43 PM
No mention from anybody on what led to the incident. How can there not be a cell phone video?

mapguy
03-25-15, 07:01 PM
Both May and Hammond have said they come as a package. Without that trio Top Gear is done. For an example of what Top Gear will be like without them just watch Fifth Gear.

G.
03-25-15, 07:04 PM
Send those 3 guys from the US version over. Maybe we could try again on this side.

datachicane
03-25-15, 07:21 PM
There's no shortage of accounts of the incident, and they're all in close alignment. Clarkson, May, and Hammond had finished the day's shoot. Clarkson wanted to visit the pub, and left the helicopter that was to take them to their hotel waiting for two hours. By the time they made it to the hotel the kitchen had closed and the chef had gone home for the night. Clarkson went into a rage when the producer (Tymon) brought him a tray of cold cuts rather than the steak he wanted, swearing loudly enough to bring other guests out from their rooms. Clarkson then punched Tymon in the mouth. While Tymon went to the hospital, the hotel manager cooked Clarkson his steak. The next day Clarkson called his BBC superiors and Tymon to apologize.

From the final BBC findings:

It was not disputed by Jeremy Clarkson or any witness that Oisin Tymon was the victim of an unprovoked physical and verbal attack. It is also clear to me that Oisin Tymon is an important creative member of the Top Gear team who is well-valued and respected. He has suffered significant personal distress as a result of this incident, through no fault of his own.

Gnam
03-25-15, 09:00 PM
There's no shortage of accounts of the incident, and they're all in close alignment.
With all the travelling he does for the show, I would have thought Clarkson would be used to "roughing it". Sounds like he went full diva.

What a dumbass.

G.
03-25-15, 11:49 PM
If it was a full out, punch in the mouth, bye-bye, *******.

I was afraid it was going to be a diva-rant, with an ill-tossed water bottle, or a shove as he stormed past the guy. That would be a bit murky.

A swing and a hit, he's gone.

nrc
03-29-15, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLRna0RRvxo

gjc2
03-29-15, 03:05 PM
I haven’t been following this situation. What did he actually do to get suspended?

nrc
03-30-15, 04:55 AM
I haven’t been following this situation. What did he actually do to get suspended?

Clarkson had a fit when he was served cold cuts when he expected steak and struck one of the producers. He's been sacked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/business/media/jeremy-clarkson-loses-contract-as-host-of-bbcs-top-gear.html

chop456
03-30-15, 05:09 AM
Clarkson had a fit when he was served cold cuts when he expected steak

http://p-fst1.pixstatic.com/52b9d3a9697ab0422c016062._w.540_s.fit_.jpg

KaBoom21
03-30-15, 01:44 PM
:rofl: @ Nigel.

Elmo T
06-16-15, 02:42 PM
Chris Evans to be new Top Gear presenter (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33158464)

Meh?

Gnam
06-16-15, 08:14 PM
He'll have to change his name to British Chris Evans, so as not to be confused with Captain America.

Looking over his resume, he seems to be a cross between Howard Stern and Charlie Sheen. He has replaced popular TV and radio hosts on other shows, and most of them are still on the air. Maybe they are hoping his current fans will follow him to Top Gear and replace the Clarkson fans.

opinionated ow
06-17-15, 03:37 AM
Chris Evans is alright but it's not going to be even close to the same.