PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Hello

TravelGal
03-18-15, 09:43 AM
Anyone using this? It appeared with my update this morning. Video chat just by sending a link. AOL has had it for years. Looks like Skype might be a thing of the past.

dando
03-21-15, 04:40 PM
Anyone using this? It appeared with my update this morning. Video chat just by sending a link. AOL has had it for years. Looks like Skype might be a thing of the past.

I've been using Chrome exclusively for several years now. However, it's having issues with memory and Flash crashing constantly. I may need to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

G.
03-22-15, 03:23 PM
Are ANY Android browsers immune to the latest round of lockups, freezes, reboots??

Seems I need to rotate through browsers until I find one that isn't awful. For a while, at least. Then it turns bad.

dando
03-22-15, 03:46 PM
Are ANY Android browsers immune to the latest round of lockups, freezes, reboots??

Seems I need to rotate through browsers until I find one that isn't awful. For a while, at least. Then it turns bad.

Not sure about others, but Chrome is fast becoming a PITA. My laptop is on 27/7 and I have 10-12 tabs open most of the time. I usually have to crash it every day or so to release the memory it gobbles up. :irked: :saywhat: And the Flash plug-in crashes are really, really annoying.

It will be interesting whatever browser M$FT is working on for Windoze 10 to replace IE. Project Spartan:

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/microsoft-spartan-browser/

pfc_m_drake
03-22-15, 04:41 PM

Seems I need to rotate through browsers until I find one that isn't awful. For a while, at least. Then it turns bad.On the PC side I sued to swear by Opera, but they gave up their own development and use the Chrome engine now, so you might as well just use Chrome native.

On the Android device side, I have the best luck with Dolphin and Dolphin Mini (Dolphin Mini using server-side rendering for reduced bandwidth a la Opera Mini).

As always, YMMV.

G.
03-23-15, 03:20 PM
On the PC side I sued to swear by Opera, but they gave up their own development and use the Chrome engine now, so you might as well just use Chrome native.

On the Android device side, I have the best luck with Dolphin and Dolphin Mini (Dolphin Mini using server-side rendering for reduced bandwidth a la Opera Mini).

As always, YMMV.

Dolphin is my main headache right now (on Android at least). I've actually started back with FF on android again.

None of which has much to do with the OP. :)

I have seen the smiley face, and it scares me.

pfc_m_drake
03-23-15, 08:45 PM
Dolphin is my main headache right now (on Android at least). I've actually started back with FF on android again.

None of which has much to do with the OP. :)

I have seen the smiley face, and it scares me. I haven't used it in *ages*, but you might give Skyfire a spin. That being said, I'd do a tad bit of research and make sure they're not using the Chrome engine as well these days.

I have also seen the Firefox Hello. I've been trying to ignore it in the hope that it will go away. So far that strategy hasn't worked, unfortunately.

Edit: Never mind on the Skyfire thing. They were bought out by Opera and discontinued the browser business in 2014.