PDA

View Full Version : McLaren statement on Alonso's shunt

cameraman
02-23-15, 12:09 PM
We are pleased to confirm that, having been involved in an on-track incident at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya (Spain) on February 22nd, Fernando Alonso is making a solid recovery in hospital, and is chatting to family, friends and hospital staff.

From the scene of the incident he was driven to the circuit’s medical centre, where he was given first aid and, as per normal procedures, was sedated in preparation for an air-lift to hospital.

In hospital a thorough and complete analysis of his condition was performed, involving CT scans and MRI scans, all of which were completely normal.

In order to provide the privacy and tranquillity required to facilitate a peaceful recuperation, he is being kept in hospital for further observation, and to recover from the effects of the medication that successfully managed his routine sedation yesterday.

We intend to give him every opportunity to make a rapid and complete recovery, and will evaluate in due course whether or not he will participate in the next Barcelona test.

Over the past 24 hours, we have been carrying out a detailed analysis of the damage to Fernando’s car, and its associated telemetry data, in order fully to understand the cause, or causes, of his accident. Even at this early stage, we have been able to reach some firm conclusions.

His car ran wide at the entry to Turn Three – which is a fast uphill right-hander – allowing it to run onto the Astroturf that lines the outside of the track. A consequent loss of traction caused a degree of instability, spitting it back towards the inside of the circuit, where it regained traction and struck the wall side-on.

Our findings indicate that the accident was caused by the unpredictably gusty winds at that part of the circuit at that time, and which had affected other drivers similarly (eg, Carlos Sainz Jnr).

We can categorically state that there is no evidence that indicates that Fernando’s car suffered mechanical failure of any kind. We can also confirm that absolutely no loss of aerodynamic pressure was recorded, which fact indicates that the car did not suffer any aerodynamic loss, despite the fact that it was subjected to a significant level of g-force. Finally, we can also disclose that no electrical discharge or irregularity of any kind occurred in the car’s ERS system, either before, during or after the incident.

That last point refutes the erroneous rumours that have spread recently to the effect that Fernando was rendered unconscious by an electrical fault. That is simply not true. Our data clearly shows that he was downshifting while applying full brake pressure right up to the moment of the first impact – something that clearly would not have been possible had he been unconscious at the time.

Our data also confirms that Fernando’s car struck the inside concrete wall, first with its front-right wheel and then with its rear-right. It was a significant lateral impact, resulting in damage to the front upright and axle.

After the initial impact, the car slid down the wall for about 15 seconds before coming to a halt. All four wheels remained attached to the car, but no damage was sustained by the bodywork or crash structure between the front and rear wheels.

We wish Fernando a very speedy recovery. As and when we have further updates to share, we will of course do so.

WickerBill
02-23-15, 12:37 PM
I'm telling you, he's just there for subterfuge. :)

cameraman
02-23-15, 12:55 PM
No one will actually say what the hell happened to Alonso. Was he knocked out when he hit the wall? Why the hell would they sedate him prior to transport unless he was thrashing about in a semi-conscious state. I really hate this institutional aversion to clear and accurate medical coverage.:flaming:

NismoZ
02-23-15, 06:54 PM
I don't know...kinda wish I had been sedated before I was stuck in a few helicopters!

Elmo T
02-24-15, 12:04 AM
Sedation before chopper flight is not uncommon. Not my forte, but it is typically for agitated patients.

WickerBill
02-25-15, 03:34 PM
Getting weirder. Three days in hospital for a concussion, including two in ICU, does not sound like it equates to a somewhat mild side impact that only damaged the suspension.

cameraman
02-25-15, 03:39 PM
He was released today but yeah we are not being told the entire story.

Tifosi24
02-25-15, 03:55 PM
It almost feels like he had a medical condition in the car. When I first heard that he went to the hospital, I was expecting a big accident, but the pictures from the side track show a car, like WB said, with almost no damage. Either that or this chassis has some sort of safety deficiency from lateral impacts.

Then again, I can't remember the year, but I am pretty sure Hamilton was concussed in an accident at Spa (hit the wall and then appear "asleep" in the cockpit for a couple seconds after the car stopped and then woke up) while with Mclaren and nothing ever came of it. Ron Dennis is not from the Paul Harvey school of information.

Elmo T
02-25-15, 04:14 PM
Seizure? Might account for some of the odder details.

But if he DID have a seizure behind the wheel, what happens to his racing license? Assuming someone admits to that.

SteveH
02-25-15, 04:38 PM
Could be benign. Who was it last year that was fainting from trying to lose weight?

WickerBill
02-26-15, 09:41 AM
Now McLaren say no concussion, but Alonso was knocked out. Technicalities and vagueness ahoy:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/02/dennis-confirms-alonso-knocked-unconscious-in-testing-accident/

Elmo T
02-26-15, 11:17 AM
Technicalities and vagueness ahoy:

Sounds like this kind of answer...

"It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If 'is' means 'is and never has been' that's one thing - if it means 'there is none', that was a completely true statement," he said.

:saywhat:

Tifosi24
02-26-15, 11:29 AM
Now McLaren say no concussion, but Alonso was knocked out. Technicalities and vagueness ahoy:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/02/dennis-confirms-alonso-knocked-unconscious-in-testing-accident/

Why would he have been in the hospital for three days? I know Ron isn't a doctor, but I am not sure how you could "go to sleep" for a few seconds and not be concussed. Perhaps those more in tune with medical and emergency response can fill me in. Something smells fishy in the Kingdom of McLaren.

cameraman
02-26-15, 11:47 AM
You don't need to get hit in the head to pass out, a lack of blood flow to the brain, for any reason, will put you out. There's about a million variables involved with syncope. They could have easily spent three days running all manner of tests to try and determine why he blacked out.

Insomniac
02-26-15, 11:47 AM
Even by U.S. malpractice concern standards, that long a stay for observation is crazy. Something happened, and just guessing, they don't have an answer.

TravelGal
02-26-15, 04:26 PM
Even by U.S. malpractice concern standards, that long a stay for observation is crazy. Something happened, and just guessing, they don't have an answer.

It's blowin' in the wind. ;)

NismoZ
02-28-15, 10:45 AM
Here's a WILD guess...maybe, just MAYbe (I mean, this guy IS one of the WORLD'S best drivers) he was going to FAST!?

WickerBill
03-03-15, 09:08 AM
And now, he will miss Australia. http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/03/alonso-to-miss-australian-grand-prix/

Elmo T
03-03-15, 10:19 AM
Seems like there is more to this than just being concussed OR they really don't know what happened and are being overly cautious.

datachicane
03-03-15, 12:57 PM
Ron Dennis, Feb 26:

“He’s not even concussed... I’m not trying to conceal anything. I’m just telling you the facts: he is physically perfect. There is no concussion.”

McLaren press statement, Mar 3:

“However, Fernando’s doctors have recommended to him that, following the concussion he sustained in a testing accident at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya on February 22nd, for the time being he should seek to limit as far as is possible any environmental risk factors that could potentially result in his sustaining another concussion so soon after his previous one, so as to minimise the chances of second impact syndrome, as is normal medical procedure when treating athletes after concussions."

:saywhat:

Tifosi24
03-03-15, 01:58 PM
Someone should tell Ron that is why you tell the truth, then you don't have to keep your lies straight. All of this smokescreen and misinformation makes everything sound worse than it might otherwise be, not saying that a concussion is not a serious thing.

Insomniac
03-03-15, 02:54 PM
The recommended recovery period following a concussion is 3 weeks (minimum)?

datachicane
03-03-15, 05:59 PM
All of this really makes me wonder if he didn't have a loss of consciousness from a medical event prior to impact.
The danger to his superlicense would certainly justify all sorts of obfuscation.

TravelGal
03-03-15, 07:58 PM
All of this really makes me wonder if he didn't have a loss of consciousness from a medical event prior to impact.
The danger to his superlicense would certainly justify all sorts of obfuscation.

It makes sense. I've said from the beginning that they were holding information back. They are not normally THIS confused. :rolleyes:

G.
03-03-15, 09:24 PM
He's pregnant.

Stays here.

TedN
03-04-15, 07:26 AM
Sky Italia, the F1 broadcaster, claims the Spanish driver has confided to close friends and family that he suffered a "major shock in his spine" before losing control of his McLaren-Honda and striking the Barcelona wall.

The broadcaster made clear that Alonso did not say specifically that he was electrocuted, but the report adds weight to the theory that there is more than meets the eye to the controversial crash saga.

Fabrizio Barbazza, an Italian who had a brief F1 career in the early 90s, is quoted by La Repubblica newspaper: "Fernando took a 600 watt hit with serious consequences.

Source (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns30104.html)

Ted

gjc2
03-04-15, 07:49 AM
Don't like that hybrid system, and never will.

Elmo T
03-04-15, 09:04 AM
What would he have to contact to be electrocuted? What becomes energized?

I spent a few minutes looking at whether carbon fiber conducts electricity. Some interesting items out there. But in short it does.

chop456
03-04-15, 10:51 AM
I wonder if they're trying to keep it on the DL while a stopgap solution is found rather than being told to redesign the system/placement during the season.

Easy
03-05-15, 08:23 PM
I can't remember where I read it, and it wasn't Autosport or the BBC or the like so take it with a grain of salt, but... the story suggested that Merc, Renault and Ferrari all have 5 fail safes protecting the driver from possible electrocution from the ERS systems while Honda only has 3.

The only thing that is clear in this story is that there is more to it. Has Alonso missed a GP since his "red shirt" season after Minardi?

Napoleon
03-06-15, 08:50 AM
Fernando Alonso forgets last 20 years from crash (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/06/fernando-alonso-crash-forgot-20-years_n_6814418.html)

Elmo T
03-06-15, 08:54 AM
Fernando Alonso forgets last 20 years from crash (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/06/fernando-alonso-crash-forgot-20-years_n_6814418.html)

I was thinking that was a link to The Onion or something like that. :eek::(

TravelGal
03-06-15, 12:15 PM
I was thinking that was a link to The Onion or something like that. :eek::(

HuffPost is not a WHOLE lot better but I have seen this other places so I'm afraid it seems to be true.

cameraman
03-06-15, 12:43 PM
Well now the rumor mill has jumped into overdrive and such bastions of journalism as the Mirror are floating the idea that he will be forced to retire as the claim is he blacked out prior to crashing. YMMV....

cameraman
03-09-15, 03:19 AM
The Mirror is quite the source for F1 ********. The latest headline is
Jenson Button almost quit F1 to compete at 2016 Rio Olympics
Silly enough that Jenson Button felt the need to tweet
Just so you know not even the tiniest bit of truth in this headline!

opinionated ow
03-09-15, 05:51 AM
The Mirror is quite the source for F1 ********. The latest headline is
Silly enough that Jenson Button felt the need to tweet

I know it's BS but he wouldn't have stood a chance of qualifying. The maximum number of starts Team GB can expect to earn is three. Given that Jonny & Alistair Brownlee will probably have two of those sewn up that leaves on position that there are more than 30 British professionals chasing.

NismoZ
03-09-15, 08:54 AM
Yep, Jonny and Alistair, two of MY favorites!:)

WickerBill
03-26-15, 09:13 AM
I can see things are back to normal (the not good normal) between Alonso and Ron Dennis.

Alonso refutes McLaren position on crash, says it was a steering problem (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/03/alonso-we-definitely-had-a-steering-problem/)

Elmo T
03-26-15, 12:30 PM
Hearing the handling of all this by McLaren... perhaps brings back into question some of the Senna issues and how F1 teams "manage" their PR.

chop456
03-27-15, 01:25 AM
I can see things are back to normal (the not good normal) between Alonso and Ron Dennis.

Alonso refutes McLaren position on crash, says it was a steering problem (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/03/alonso-we-definitely-had-a-steering-problem/)

His insubordination should be punished by being provided a car that's dog slow and doesn't have a chance of winning a race for perhaps years.

Oh, wait...

trauma1
03-30-15, 03:58 PM
Fred being sedated at the track is highly unusual. Why they did is what I want to know. Usually with with concussions u don't give meds that sedate someone??????

Elmo T
03-30-15, 04:59 PM
Fred being sedated at the track is highly unusual. Why they did is what I want to know. Usually with with concussions u don't give meds that sedate someone??????

It is a sedative they give patients before the medevac flight. They don't want patients flipping out in the chopper.

OR they intubated him.

Prior to flight, sedate the patient to obtain a steady-state of somnolence for flight. The goal of sedation of the ventilated patient is complete somnolence with a Riker Sedation-Agitation Scale Score of 1-2

trauma1
03-31-15, 04:14 PM
Yeah they would have probably given him Versad if the tubed him. I also heard some where he had seizures when then extracated him from the car. 1+1 doesn't add up.????

cameraman
03-31-15, 04:54 PM
There seems to be little desire on anyone's part to tell the complete truth of the matter.

chop456
04-01-15, 06:03 AM
There seems to be little desire on anyone's part to tell the complete truth of the matter.

I hadn't seen this until this morning:

Lewis Hamilton used a drivers’ briefing ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix to demand more information from Formula One’s authorities about Fernando Alonso’s testing accident (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/lewishamilton/11501856/Malaysian-GP-2015-Lewis-Hamilton-calls-for-clarity-over-Fernando-Alonso-crash.html)

trauma1
04-01-15, 11:02 AM
At least someone grew a pair