PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Busch

Tifosi24
02-21-15, 10:42 PM
Clearly not my favorite driver after he tried to kill Ron Hornaday a few years ago, but he definitely broke his leg earlier today, and I hope for a full recovery. They already have him out for tomorrow's race, but the impact and him getting out of the car were very reminiscent of Schumacher at Silverstone in 1999. I already see a lot of folks are upset that there were no SAFER barriers there, and it is a bit of a surprise, but I would think some FIA regulation wrapped tire barriers would do the trick.

opinionated ow
02-22-15, 12:10 AM
Yeah I'd have to agree. Tyre bundles would do the job sufficiently.

Andrew Longman
02-22-15, 12:37 AM
No safer barrier there and grass in front of wall in a spot where car lose it all the time? Of course. That would cost money.

Kyle is only slightly less of an A hole than his brother. IMO it used to be the other way around. But he is a racer and an enormous talent. Running a loose crabbing car at 10/10th on an oval lap after lap is great fun to watch. And I know first hand that Mars is very pleased with him.

cameraman
02-22-15, 04:01 AM
Considering the angle that a car would hit that wall an FIA wrapped tire barrier would be far better than a safer barrier.

dando
02-22-15, 06:21 AM
Bad week for the Busch Bros. One bat **** crazy, the other breaks his leg. Not that Kyle isn't bat **** crazy as well. Twitter blew up yesterday about the wreck, good thoughts and well wishes for Kyle, and about the lack of a SAFER Barrier in the turn wall.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/xfinity/story/_/id/12360665/kyle-busch-taken-hospital-following-wreck-xfinity-series-race-daytona

dando
02-22-15, 09:18 AM
BTW, having seen the video replays several times this AM, this incident just reminds me of Greg Moore. :cry: :cry: :cry:

TKGAngel
02-22-15, 10:13 AM
No safer barrier there and grass in front of wall in a spot where car lose it all the time? Of course. That would cost money.

According to USA Today, the SAFER barrier costs $500 per foot to install. Daytona would need to lay out some serious $$$ in order to install SAFER every single wall of the track. OTOH, they're spending a ton of money to practically re-do the entire seating area, so finances clearly aren't an issue. The track was putting the tire stacks in front of that wall last night, so that wall will be protected somewhat today.

Tifosi24
02-22-15, 01:23 PM
Considering the angle that a car would hit that wall an FIA wrapped tire barrier would be far better than a safer barrier.

I agree, plus hitting the SAFER head on at 90mph would have broke it, likely resulting in a lengthy red flag. Webber probably hit the tires head on at Valencia a few years back at a similar speed and they worked well. Plus, that far from the track there is no rebound risk. Busch is lucky they paved the area between entrance and exit to the road course or he would have hit at 130ish IMO. I don't think Nascar has mandated SAFER on all walls because the financial strength of most tracks is much less secure than many think. $500 a lineal foot is insane.

opinionated ow
02-23-15, 09:25 AM
Or they could do like Oswego Speedway does for the supermodified and just put hunks of foam. When one of them is broken they throw it over the fence and stick another piece in.

manic mechanic
02-25-15, 12:46 AM
David Ragan signed to replace him as of this afternoon. :thumbup:

dando
03-11-15, 01:38 PM
Got Busch? The other one is free.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/12460871/kurt-busch-nascar-suspension-lifted