PDA

View Full Version : AlBaghdadi/AlAssad Iraq

NismoZ
02-15-15, 05:28 PM
The city just REtaken by ISIS, the airbase just a few miles to the SW, (5-7 mi. or so?) 320 US Marines training Iraq troops there. A recent attempt by the IS "fighters" to penetrate the base defenses failed. All 24 killed. OK...so I flew there on Google Maps to check out the base...HOLY CR**! It's HUGE...SPRAWLING! No 320 Marines are going to be able to protect a perimeter that is MILES around.! Ok, so the Iraqi Army is in charge of actual security but how SECURE does that make YOU feel? Was wondering if some of you with more practical military interest or experience than I have would take a look at that place and tell me what you think? I counted at least 19 fighter jets lined up at the south end of the base, they look to be US, not sure if F-16s or 18s? Near them, on taxi-ways angled right toward the main runway I count 5 C-130s...ready to move on SHORT notice? All kinds of Helicopters, scattered around... Apaches and Shi*hooks. Looks like many of those huge "Bombproof" concrete hangers (that turned out to be NOT so bombproof) are now serving as maintainence sheds and to the NW corner of the base there is what COULD be a dump filled with hundreds of fuel bladders...I see NO oil or fuel storage tanks. Must be a thousand vehicles of all descriptions, most notably semi trailer trucks. Barracks by the dozens and other buildings many of which look quite new. On the other hand there is a gigantic trash dump to the east side that looks to filled with lots of shiny airplane parts. Iraqi post war remains? EASY to identify Russian-made jet fighters, with their small triangle shaped wings still intact and in revetments along the highway to the north, from Al Baghdadi. All I know is NOBODY is going to sneak up on that place and of course the "attackers" were appropriately wearing suicide vests...but it must be a PRIME target for the IS? I DO know, however, that ONE good size artillery piece back in Al Baghdadi could EASILY hit that base...Oh, and look carefully...I think I see at least 2 drones on runways, too. Eyes in the sky 24/7, I hope!

SteveH
02-15-15, 07:58 PM
I heard the base is the size of Boulder CO. Having been in Boulder last year, that's just boggles my mind.

Gnam
02-16-15, 03:18 AM
Early in the war, the United States constructed a large airfield and military headquarters just outside Bien Hoa, and on November 1, 1964, the Vietcong attacked the installation, destroying five aircraft and killing four American soldiers. Although the administration did not respond at once to the attack, it was becoming more and more clear that if the United States was going to conduct an air war over North and South Vietnam, with aircraft and personnel stationed in the south, regular ground troops would be required to defend those installations.

March 8, 1965: The first ground troops arrive in Vietnam when 3,500 US Marines stage an amphibious landing and deploy to protect Da Nang air base.

By the end of 1965, US troop levels top 200,000.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.