PDA

View Full Version : Arby's social media person deserves a raise

cameraman
02-11-15, 06:45 AM
because this is freakin' brilliant.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/Arbys.jpg

That said I'm not sure what I'm going to do after losing both Stewart and Colbert:cry:

Insomniac
02-11-15, 05:11 PM
CC looks even dumber now not having John Oliver locked up. I thought he'd stick around through the 2016 elections, but I guess he's just not up for it.

dando
02-11-15, 08:43 PM
That said I'm not sure what I'm going to do after losing both Stewart and Colbert:cry:

Reruns of Seinfeld? ;)

Napoleon
02-12-15, 09:40 AM

Far and away my favorite 2 TV shows.

CC looks even dumber now not having John Oliver locked up.

In CCs defense, unless they were able to offer Oliver a show, and they sure were not going to offer him one that pretty much competed with TDS, there really is not much they could do when HBO offered Oliver a show. That really isn't their fault that Oliver got a better offer. I doubt Oliver really wasn't under contract with them in any meaningful way (it doesn't appear any of the other on-air people at TDS really are).

So who is a logical replacement for Jon? I don't know if there is anyone on the show that is obviously a replacement (though sometimes guest Lewis Black would be great, but there is the whole age issue with him as a long term replacement).

Napoleon
02-12-15, 09:44 AM
PS, apparently Jon discussed the Arby's job offer last night.

Insomniac
02-12-15, 10:09 AM
In CCs defense, unless they were able to offer Oliver a show, and they sure were not going to offer him one that pretty much competed with TDS, there really is not much they could do when HBO offered Oliver a show. That really isn't their fault that Oliver got a better offer. I doubt Oliver really wasn't under contract with them in any meaningful way (it doesn't appear any of the other on-air people at TDS really are).

So who is a logical replacement for Jon? I don't know if there is anyone on the show that is obviously a replacement (though sometimes guest Lewis Black would be great, but there is the whole age issue with him as a long term replacement).

I think that's the dumb part. They gave him a giant platform for 3 months and he could walk away. They should've had him locked up for a bit at least even with no opening/plan. I agree that there isn't a correspondent who stands out, but I'd say Oliver didn't stand out as the one to fill-in before hand either. I didn't think Larry Wilmore would get his own show either. HitFix had a few ideas: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/who-should-succeed-jon-stewart-as-the-daily-show-host

Napoleon
02-12-15, 11:38 AM
I agree that there isn't a correspondent who stands out, but I'd say Oliver didn't stand out as the one to fill-in before hand either. I didn't think Larry Wilmore would get his own show either.

Funny thing is that when they went outside TDS staff to replace Kilborn with Stewart they already had Colbert on the staff (Stewart didn't hire Colbert, he inherited him)(note though I think that at that time Stewart was a far smarter choice then if they had picked Colbert).

I hadn't thought of Aasif Mandvi until reading your link and of people from the show he would be great. I think of those on it as correspondents Jones/Bee would be the best. Williams is still too young and unseasoned, but I can see her as having a great future.

Insomniac
02-12-15, 03:54 PM
Funny thing is that when they went outside TDS staff to replace Kilborn with Stewart they already had Colbert on the staff (Stewart didn't hire Colbert, he inherited him)(note though I think that at that time Stewart was a far smarter choice then if they had picked Colbert).

I hadn't thought of Aasif Mandvi until reading your link and of people from the show he would be great. I think of those on it as correspondents Jones/Bee would be the best. Williams is still too young and unseasoned, but I can see her as having a great future.

Aasif is probably unlikely. He has an HBO show coming (writing, producing and acting) this year (The Brink). I think Colbert is too smart for TDS. I think Colbert could do TDS, but Stewart couldn't do The Colbert Report. CC was very smart to not try and do that again.

cameraman
02-12-15, 06:25 PM
Colbert is a good actor, Stewart will be the first to tell you that he can't act.

Insomniac
02-13-15, 02:59 PM
Colbert is a good actor, Stewart will be the first to tell you that he can't act.

He is, but I also think he is crazy smart and very quick on his feet.

Napoleon
02-17-15, 10:24 AM
On SNL's 40th anniversary show they had audition tapes for people on the show and notables that they didn't hire, like Jim Carry, Andy Kaufman and Colbert.

PS, as cast members, Colbert was a writer for a year and also is a voice in The Ambiguously Gay Duo, along with Steve Carrel.