PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Question...

Dave99
02-01-15, 03:04 AM
It seems that Facebook is now requiring all accounts to be verified with mobile phone numbers. You know... for "security" purposes. :rolleyes:

So is everyone here playing nice and providing them with your cellphone number to remain active, or are you giving FB the heave ho and opting out?

Are there any workarounds for this or no?

God I hate Zuckerberg.

opinionated ow
02-01-15, 03:08 AM
There should be a hyperlink at the bottom in plain small text that says skip.

Dave99
02-02-15, 12:28 AM
Yes, I was able to "skip" that part of the sign-up process when I first created my account but now when I try to sign IN I'm asked to "authenticate" my account with a mobile phone number. Well I don't want to "authenticate" my account with a mobile phone number. Why don't they just ask me my security question instead? Actually I know why. Maybe I'll just create another new account and see how long that one lasts. [sigh]

TravelGal
02-02-15, 10:19 AM
I haven't been asked for a cellphone number. Something's fishy I would not give mine either. I use it almost exclusively for calls about TravelMom so I certainly don't want Facebook to have it. An email address should be enough.

dando
02-02-15, 03:17 PM
GMail started doing something similar. The only way I could reset the passwords for my daughters' accounts was to enter my cell # to get an activation code for a password reset. :saywhat:

cameraman
02-02-15, 03:36 PM
That's essentially Apple's two factor ID, you try to do something on a new machine and you have to use the secret decoder ring that they text you in order to modify your account or buy something. You have to set up your account with a phone number that can receive texts for it to happen. It will become more and more common.

KLang
02-02-15, 03:39 PM
It will become more and more common.

Already has, Bank of America and Chase both use it for certain things.

I'm starting to think I may be the only one left without a Facebook account. :cool:

cameraman
02-02-15, 04:24 PM
Well I have a Facebook account but I will never, ever use it for any purpose beyond looking at Facebook. I will never use it to log into any other web site or company. I have email addresses through a local, vehemently pro-privacy ISP that I use for such logins. If some company has a requirement for a Facebook account, and I have yet to find one that does, there is no way that they will get my business.

KLang
02-02-15, 05:19 PM
My new HOA is planning to use a Facebook page for community communication. :rolleyes: Send me an email.

dando
02-02-15, 05:51 PM
My new HOA is planning to use a Facebook page for community communication. :rolleyes: Send me an email.

You won't catch any FB cooties if you just sign up an account, only subscribe to the HOA group, don't add any friends, and don't post. Just check FB periodically for HOA updates.

datachicane
02-03-15, 01:44 PM
That's why I always keep a couple of burner phones handy.
:cool:

Meh, Facebook ain't the devil. Just don't do anything on there you wouldn't have a problem with your mother and employer seeing and you'll be fine.

It's a tool like any other, and whether it's a colossally unproductive, mentally unhealthy timesuck or a useful tool says more about how you choose to use it than about Facebook itself.

TravelGal
02-03-15, 10:49 PM
That's why I always keep a couple of burner phones handy.
:cool:

Geez, why didn't I think of that? Good idea. I have "burner email addresses" but I never thought of having a burner phone for the times you're forced to divulge information you'd rather not have anyone else have.