PDA

View Full Version : Sons of Liberty

Lizzerd
01-28-15, 12:20 AM
Watching Sons of Liberty on History Channel. Very good. I AM a proud American.

cameraman
01-28-15, 04:57 AM
Watching Sons of Liberty on History Channel. Very good. I AM a proud American.

By the History Channel's own admission that series “is a dramatic interpretation of events that sparked a revolution. It is historical fiction, not a documentary.” It is very fictional, you can read the grocery list of things that never occurred here:

http://allthingsliberty.com/2015/01/discover-the-truth-behind-history-channels-sons-of-liberty-series/

It isn't quite as bad as Shark Week but it is close.

chop456
01-28-15, 06:14 AM
So there, Bruce. Hope you're unable to enjoy it from now on. :D

datachicane
01-28-15, 01:32 PM
Heh, sort of an American Braveheart, only not quite so far off the rails. Then again, Peabody and His Boy Sherman was closer to the mark than Gibson managed, so that's not exactly setting the bar.

cameraman
01-28-15, 02:50 PM
Yeah well they barely teach history anymore in the schools so the last thing we need is a fictionalized miniseries on a tv channel misnamed The History Channel. It wasn't like they were making innocent errors, they were just flat out inventing things to meet an adventure format. It is like the ridiculous Megalodon, Mermaid and Anaconda crap they are running on Discovery. First they sell scifi as hard science and now we get an action adventure sold as history. I'm sick of the garbage.

What's also highly annoying is the truth would have made a good miniseries.

Lizzerd
01-28-15, 09:33 PM
Ok, fine. I will still be a proud American despite what you all say about it.

nrc
01-29-15, 01:50 AM
I didn't watch it but they billed it as historical fiction. If it piques a few people's interest in learning about history I think it's a good thing. As long as they're not killing vampires.

SONS OF LIBERTY is a dramatic interpretation of events that sparked a revolution. It is historical fiction, not a documentary. The goal of our miniseries is to capture the spirit of the time, convey the personalities of the main characters, and focus on real events that have shaped our past. For historical information about the Sons of Liberty and the dawning of the American Revolution, please read the Historian’s View section on history.com/sons.

If you want to see a good mini-series about our founding fathers I recommend HBO's "John Adams". It's an excellent series and Paul Giamatti is outstanding as Adams but even that was nitpicked for historical inaccuracies.

http://www.amazon.com/Part-1-Join-or-Die/dp/B00687PWQG

Napoleon
01-29-15, 07:32 AM
Yeah well they barely teach history anymore in the schools so the last thing we need is a fictionalized miniseries on a tv channel misnamed The History Channel. It wasn't like they were making innocent errors, they were just flat out inventing things to meet an adventure format. It is like the ridiculous Megalodon, Mermaid and Anaconda crap they are running on Discovery. First they sell scifi as hard science and now we get an action adventure sold as history. I'm sick of the garbage.

What's also highly annoying is the truth would have made a good miniseries.

Sing it brother. My undergraduate degree is in history (with an emphasis in modern US history) and stuff like that just drives me nuts. And don't even get me started on Oliver Stone.

NismoZ
01-30-15, 05:26 PM
Singing it here...same as Nappy...beyond disappointing...but as noted, NOT as bad as what has been done to US History in the k-16 curricula. Think I'll go rent Disney's Johnny Tremain. :D