PDA

View Full Version : Bowl games / playoff

WickerBill
01-01-15, 11:27 PM
No more crab legs. Good.

But OSU keeps giving Alabama the ball. Without that, they might be ahead.

Also, I really wanted to post this:

https://vine.co/v/OwVVed7ZHtp

dando
01-02-15, 02:49 AM
No more crab legs. Good.

But OSU keeps giving Alabama the ball. Without that, they might be ahead.

Also, I really wanted to post this:

https://vine.co/v/OwVVed7ZHtp

Sorry, back to breathing again.... :saywhat: Tide rolled. :D

Helluva game. Helluva game. Both teams left it all on the field. :thumbup: I recommend that the Browns draft the 'bama punter with their first round pick. They could use him. :gomer: ;)

For all the B1G bashing this season, and talk about how great the $EC is (was), the top 5 teams in the $EC West all lost. Next man up. :)

dando
01-02-15, 03:10 AM
Also, not sure what this means for the Championship Game...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls14/story/_/id/12110366/rose-bowl-oregon-ducks-players-face-discipline-no-means-no-chant

Apparently the asshats from F$U, which just quit in the second half, didn't shake hands post-game. I despise F$U, but this kind of taunting is uncalled for...especially when your own U kicked players off the boys hoops team for sexual assault allegations/charges. :shakehead: Sportsmanship is not just a word.

Insomniac
01-02-15, 12:44 PM
Also, not sure what this means for the Championship Game...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls14/story/_/id/12110366/rose-bowl-oregon-ducks-players-face-discipline-no-means-no-chant

Apparently the asshats from F$U, which just quit in the second half, didn't shake hands post-game. I despise F$U, but this kind of taunting is uncalled for...especially when your own U kicked players off the boys hoops team for sexual assault allegations/charges. :shakehead: Sportsmanship is not just a word.

I think we all know what it means. The punishment will be based on how much they contribute.

Insomniac
01-02-15, 12:47 PM
Sorry, back to breathing again.... :saywhat: Tide rolled. :D

Helluva game. Helluva game. Both teams left it all on the field. :thumbup: I recommend that the Browns draft the 'bama punter with their first round pick. They could use him. :gomer: ;)

For all the B1G bashing this season, and talk about how great the $EC is (was), the top 5 teams in the $EC West all lost. Next man up. :)

Great game by OSU. I still think TCU was shafted. It's stupid that they were downgraded the last week. But this is what the playoffs are about. Just getting in and making things happen. Go Ducks. :)

Gnam
01-02-15, 01:37 PM
I hope the Buckeyes stomp the Ducks. Nike University needs its wings clipped.

Don Quixote
01-02-15, 04:18 PM
My house last night:

dando
01-02-15, 04:42 PM
Great game by OSU. I still think TCU was shafted. It's stupid that they were downgraded the last week. But this is what the playoffs are about. Just getting in and making things happen. Go Bucks. :)

Fixerated. :gomer:

nrc
01-02-15, 08:40 PM
Great game by OSU. I still think TCU was shafted. It's stupid that they were downgraded the last week. But this is what the playoffs are about. Just getting in and making things happen. Go Ducks. :)

Seems like the final four have been pretty much validated TCU < Baylor < Michigan St < OSU

For all the talk of the Big 10 not providing quality opponents, it's the Big 12 and SEC West have been exposed in the Bowl Games. A lot of TCU's quality opponents have sunk like a stone. TCU beating up on the third place team in the SEC West division doesn't really prove anything.

The great thing about Ohio State's run is that they've already accomplished so much more than anyone could have expected. If they can pull off an upset win against Oregon with a third string quarterback it will be one for the ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbQTXFJL8lo

dando
01-02-15, 09:45 PM
nrc, you forgot that Jerry Kill was voted Coach of the Year for the B1G. :saywhat: :irked: :mad: :flaming: Respect for what he did in Minnie, but Jeebus, with the hand that was dealt to Urban & Co. :thumbup: :thumbup: #WonNotDone Next man up. :)

Dvdb
01-02-15, 10:51 PM
My nephew (TCU senior) and I were discussing whether the four semifinal teams will be locked in to those positions in the Finals polls. Or will another school, i.e. TCU finish with a 3 or 4 ranking?

Also made for lively bar discussion last night/

TKGAngel
01-03-15, 10:15 AM
Jim Rome insults marching bands during Thursday's games and the bands fight back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/01/02/jim-rome-tweets-his-take-on-marching-bands-then-tweets-apology-for-his-take-on-marching-bands/

Tifosi24
01-03-15, 11:16 AM
nrc, you forgot that Jerry Kill was voted Coach of the Year for the B1G. :saywhat: :irked: :mad: :flaming: Respect for what he did in Minnie, but Jeebus, with the hand that was dealt to Urban & Co. :thumbup: :thumbup: #WonNotDone Next man up. :)

Kill has nothing outside of Maxx Williams and nearly won 11 games, so I don't think they got it wrong. This is coming from a neutral party.

TravelGal
01-03-15, 11:24 AM
Jim Rome insults marching bands during Thursday's games and the bands fight back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/01/02/jim-rome-tweets-his-take-on-marching-bands-then-tweets-apology-for-his-take-on-marching-bands/

Jim Rome is so full of ........himself sometimes. Go dorks!

Insomniac
01-03-15, 05:31 PM
Seems like the final four have been pretty much validated TCU < Baylor < Michigan St < OSU

I don't know how anyone can say it's validated. I was calling the process into question. If OSU wins the championship, that still doesn't mean they should've made it in to begin with. I prefer the computers.

dando
01-03-15, 06:34 PM

Rome is an asshat. He's a sports talk radio shock jock. Period. I used to listen to him years ago before E$PN took over the air waves here (Rome and Tony Bruno were on the air here before then). I chuckled when he called out Jim Everett calling him 'Chrissy' (justified, IMO), but so many of his takes became just plain mean. I haven't heard/watched him for a couple of years, mind you, but he's the Howard Stern of sports talk, IMHO. :saywhat: The Turd isn't much better. :irked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjgpo3_SF7M

dando
01-03-15, 06:43 PM
Kill has nothing outside of Maxx Williams and nearly won 11 games, so I don't think they got it wrong. This is coming from a neutral party.

Cobb? Like I stated, I respect what he did with Minnie (and his health issues). Meyer & co. replaced an entire OL, went through 3 QBs, lost Hyde, new DBs/LBs... The proof is in the pudding. Just sayin'. Not trying to be a homer, but damn that choice was just wrong.

dando
01-03-15, 07:23 PM

Damn. I saw the lead on FB, but didn't click the linky. Just shrugged it off as Rome is Rome (noise). So I clicked on the linky and wow. I'm surprised he didn't broked the Internets. (sic) ;)

On a side note, I've seen the Wisky band entrance, obviously TBDITL dozens of times, Army/Navy, tOSU and Navy bands this season. College (and HS) bands are the second best thing about football. I also wish more NFL teams other than the Ravens had bands. It's always a treat when the BenGals have TBDBITL at halftime. I know many former and current TBDITL members...it is difficult work. TBDBITL now use iPads for their formations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=302WdGBLBwo

WickerBill
01-03-15, 07:34 PM
Meyer would not be the right choice. Team is one game better than last year - and they underachieved last year. They have done exactly what they were expected to do.

Meyer is a tremendous coach. Kill's year with the talent he has was exceptional.

dando
01-07-15, 09:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBzMJnCh_Wk

:D

NismoZ
01-10-15, 11:10 AM
It's on the INTRAWEB so it HAS to be true...That Ducks guy that just got bounced from the big game for pot use is a former NFL star who played in Superbowl 29 and is 48 years old!! Good ol' Bing...they just punched in Carrington's name on Wiki and came up with THAT?!:rofl: Picture and EVERTHING. Well, he DID play football, so it MUST be him!!:rofl:

NismoZ
01-10-15, 04:45 PM
Gee...they changed it to the right pic and person! Nice catch!:D

nrc
01-12-15, 03:47 PM
Before the Buckeyes trashed Wisconsin I was dreading any chance that they might end up in the Championship playoff. They just weren't ready. Now I'm excited to see if they can put a real Hollywood ending on this story. They're the underdog so hopefully they can just go out and play their game.

WickerBill
01-12-15, 09:45 PM
Has OSU had black TV numbers all year?

They look awful.

dando
01-12-15, 10:51 PM
Has OSU had black TV numbers all year?

They look awful.

Nike uni pr0n. :saywhat: There was scuttlebutt that they we going to wear all blacks for the B1G Championship, but I think Meyer said no.

Gnam
01-13-15, 01:26 AM
The congratulations to The Ohio State University on the beating the Ducks. :thumbup:

dando
01-13-15, 01:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5vaufiVDiM

:)

Dvdb
01-13-15, 03:32 PM
And my question is answered. TCU gets #3 in one final poll.

Napoleon
01-13-15, 05:56 PM

And something like that is why I hate the ranking system. There is no reason why it shouldn't be Ala. They were ranked number one and were booted in the playoffs by the team that ended up the champion. So how do they end up below TCU?

dando
01-13-15, 06:14 PM

Surprising. I would have thought #2 after the beat down they put on Ole Miss.

Andrew Longman
01-13-15, 07:21 PM
And something like that is why I hate the ranking system.On the one hand if you don't wind up ranked #1 who really cares. On the other hand this is why I have been whining for a playoff for years. Glad to see this years playoff was everything people hoped it would be and nothing of what they feared it would be. Now they just need to go to 8 teams to settle issues like the TCU gripes.

dando
01-13-15, 08:43 PM
TCU and Baylor were hurt by bad SOS, no Big 12 Championship, and fact that Texas and Okie were a mess didn't help. The requirement for the minimum number of teams to hold championship game is silly. They have ten. Split into two divisions and have at it. The problem with SOS is the schedules are made years in advance. The schedules for this season were likely made in 2010 when their was no playoff in sight. tOSU already has a series scheduled with ND in like 2020 and 2021.

TCU > Bammy because TCU hammered Ole Miss, which beat Bammy. tOSU and TCU will likely be ranked 1, 2 when the preseason polls come out (which I hate). Vegas already has installed tOSU as the favorite for next season.

Insomniac
01-14-15, 11:49 AM
They also have to play 9 games in conference. Not much room for out of conference rivalry games, FCS cupcakes and an actual opponent. The best idea I saw was to hold a championship game if necessary. They could've had a Baylor-TCU rematch this year. But then what? OSU gets left out and they won the championship (congratulations to all the OSU fans here).

All of this is for money and fans. They should just make the regular season smaller and expand to 8 teams. Focus on conference champs, no polls. You want in, join one of the 8 conferences.

dando
01-14-15, 12:30 PM
Regular season will never shorten. Taking $$$ away...that ship sailed. I've always thought that adding the 12th game was a HUGE mistake. I was a proponent of 8 teams, but now not so much. If you expand to 8 teams, start chopping would and get rid of these secondary bowls. The attendance at several I watched was a complete joke. :shakehead: No idea why some of these corporations put their names on them and pay jack to do so. :saywhat:

nrc
01-14-15, 02:03 PM
TCU > Bammy because TCU hammered Ole Miss, which beat Bammy. tOSU and TCU will likely be ranked 1, 2 when the preseason polls come out (which I hate). Vegas already has installed tOSU as the favorite for next season.

Both the SEC West and the Big 12 were exposed as weaker than anyone thought in the bowl season. So hammering Ole Miss doesn't prove as much as some would like to think. Old Miss finished their season 2-3 including a 30-0 thrashing by Arkansas.

I don't see the playoff getting any larger. They're really at risk of turning it into a last team standing competition since they're not going to cut back on regular season games.

Andrew Longman
01-14-15, 04:50 PM
Biggest obstacle to 8 team format IMO are the bowls. Right now they work well to serve as semi finals and their traditional interest grabbing still works. Eight team format screws that up.

dando
01-14-15, 05:08 PM
Both the SEC West and the Big 12 were exposed as weaker than anyone thought in the bowl season. So hammering Ole Miss doesn't prove as much as some would like to think. Old Miss finished their season 2-3 including a 30-0 thrashing by Arkansas.

I don't see the playoff getting any larger. They're really at risk of turning it into a last team standing competition since they're not going to cut back on regular season games.

Correct. Top 5 SEC West teams went 0-5. Ole Miss lost their top RB to the goal line play towards the end of the game. They also lost their top QB in the Arky game. Not sure if he returned after that game.

The greedy bastards will get an 8-team playof, and E$PN will be there to enable them. :saywhat:

Insomniac
01-15-15, 10:30 AM
I feel like eventually this is heading toward Division II NFL. I don't know how much longer they will be able to not pay students. And when that happens, it may turn into some weird tiered system where some schools/conferences will be composed of STUDENT-athletes, others ATHLETE-students and the top tier ATHLETES whose sole desire is the NFL.