PDA

View Full Version : New Year Traditions?

RaceGrrl
12-31-14, 11:24 AM
What are your New Year traditions?

Growing up, my family never did the the sauerkraut and pork dinner tradition for New Year's Day. Good thing since I hate sauerkraut. Richard's grandma always told us we had to eat a little of the sauerkraut for good luck. 35 years later and sauerkraut free the whole time I think we're doing ok without it. :)

We're pretty much homebodies on New Year's Eve- stay in, watch a movie, set off some fireworks, burn last year's Christmas tree and on New Year's Day, Santa comes back to fill our stockings. Then pork roast for dinner and football later in the day.

What are you doing this year to celebrate the new year?

tllips
12-31-14, 11:29 AM
My Mother and MIL both say that you have to eat Pickled Herring on New Years Day for good luck. never heard the Sauerkraut, but we aren't German.

I love sushi and seafood in general, but can't eat the pickled herring.

stroker
12-31-14, 11:42 AM
Fortunately I gave up my annual alcohol poisoning tradition years ago.

dando
12-31-14, 01:51 PM
My Mother and MIL both say that you have to eat Pickled Herring on New Years Day for good luck. never heard the Sauerkraut, but we aren't German.

I love sushi and seafood in general, but can't eat the pickled herring.

It's not just German. It's also a Slavic and Russian tradition. Cabbage is a staple in those diets because it's so cheap. The tradition goes that if you don't have cabbage, you won't have any $$$ in the new year. Koreans also have pickled cabbage called kimchi that is traditionally fermented in pots buried in the ground. The old school family tradition was to make a dish called halupke. It's made with kraut (heavily rinsed to remove the sauer taste) meatballs or cabbage rolls. It's seasoned with a roux that takes hours to make. Shortening and flour browned until the color is like stained walnut. Quite tasty, but it takes all day to make.

I haven't gone out for amateur night for years. This year I'll begin the football bowl game marathon...Peach, Fiesta, Orange Bowls today....Cotton, Rose and Sugar Bowls tomorrow. I heard there is some local interest in the Sugar Bowl tomorrow night. ;) If I'm still up, I'll watch the ball drop on Dick Clark (now Seacrest after Mr. Clark passed away a few years ago).

EDIT: bowl games are all on E$PN this year (and next). Sucks if you want to be a cord cutter and catch Rose and Sugar Bowls traditionally on ABC OTA. :saywhat:

TKGAngel
12-31-14, 01:54 PM
New Years Eve is usually a hockey watching day followed by watching the ball drop. I have snacks and a good bottle of wine for an all day nosh.

New Years Day involves staying in and watching the Rose Parade. And tomorrow, maybe dealing with 12-18" of lake effect snow. :)

Napoleon
12-31-14, 02:25 PM
When I was a kid it was beating up my brother.

pfc_m_drake
12-31-14, 02:42 PM
We don't do anything super special. We'll typically goto dinner around 8pm and be home safe and sound well before 10pm.
Tonight we actually have a fiend who's taking a new job in CA, so she's throwing sort of a combined New Year's/Going Away party. So we're going to swing over there for that.

WickerBill
12-31-14, 03:46 PM
You have a fiend, eh? :)

We used to go to someone's house every year with a few families, but they disowned us. So we get a pizza from a local place that is so incredibly bad for you we only eat it once per year, laugh and watch some TV.

Brutal year for us; can't wait for the future. Bring on 2015.

pfc_m_drake
12-31-14, 04:06 PM
You have a fiend, eh? :) It's kind of funny because when I read your post I was thinking to myself, "Yes - it is kind of funny that I actually have a friend, but I didn't expect WB to bust on me for it."

It was only then that I caught the typo...

KLang
12-31-14, 05:30 PM
Prime Rib was my usual New Years day meal but since I'm flying solo again it isn't very practical. I'm thinking a small pan of Lasagna instead.

Tonight I'll tip a few and watch a couple more episodes of Fringe on Blu-ray. Probably be asleep before midnight although that has been the case for years anyway.

gjc2
12-31-14, 06:01 PM
Chinese food & Champagne

TravelGal
12-31-14, 11:10 PM
Tradition is to go to a local small theater in Hollywood, watch their show, and celebrate with the cast and audience at midnight. This year TravelGuy is home and I am with TravelMom, hoping I can nurse her through the consequences of a very bad rehab stay. Somber times.

RaceGrrl
01-01-15, 11:14 AM
Tradition is to go to a local small theater in Hollywood, watch their show, and celebrate with the cast and audience at midnight. This year TravelGuy is home and I am with TravelMom, hoping I can nurse her through the consequences of a very bad rehab stay. Somber times.

I'm sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well. I'm sure having you care for her will help with healing.

dando
01-01-15, 02:25 PM

Thoughts and prayers, TG.

Anteater
01-03-15, 10:40 PM
Sorry to read about your mom, TG; I pray that your loving care will help her to fully recover!

Mr. Anteater and I go to Pasadena for NYE. No, we don't camping out at the Rose Parade--we go to my aunt's house for her NYE party. Since it's a long way from our home, we stay overnight at my aunt's place, then we drink mimosas and watch the parade on TV in the morning. The parade route is 2 miles away from my aunt's, but we can see it better on the tube. :D The B2 bomber flew right over her house; that was exciting!