PDA

View Full Version : Auto band-aid fix : oil seals

G.
12-29-14, 08:17 PM
So, does this type of crap work?
Will it stop or slow down a rear oil seal leak?
Is it equivalent to stuffing $2.99 into your oil reservoir?
Is it liquid spackle for all the little openings in your lubrication system? Including your filter?

Anyone use this with good results, or horrible calamity?

Thanks.

http://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4UYE6_AS01?$mdmain$

Car needs to be replaced soon anyway. Would like to slow down the drip regardless. Dropping the engine is not an option. At least, not on purpose. :\ :)

Gnam
12-29-14, 09:32 PM
I have not used this product. It's supposed to stop the leaks by swelling the rubber seals.
It's not harmful to metal and won't grenade the engine, but the Internet scoffs at its use, calling it snake oil.

Use it with modest expectations. It will either stop the leak for a while, or it won't. ;)

dando
12-29-14, 11:42 PM
Reminds me of the '85 Crown Vic (aka: land craft carrier) I inherited from the 'rents. That sucker peed from the radiator like a grumpy old man... :saywhat: I tried seal products x11 to no effect. Finally traded that beast in for a Neon (Hi.) ;) Of course before I traded it in it took one final dump at the local west Cbus mall. I used to carry water/antifreeze mix with me at all times. No idea how I didn't crack the block on that sucker. :D BTW, if you contact ElmoT, he can get you a deal on a used Honda Odyssey with a slightly used tranny.... ;)