PDA

View Full Version : F-1 Return To V-8s.

NismoZ
11-11-14, 05:01 PM
Maybe. At least they are talking about it. OF COURSE Mercedes says they'll QUIT if that decision is made. Bernie OF COURSE says "...we need to get rid of those V-6 engines." Caterham isn't imploding...F-1 is! At Motorsport.com.

Easy
11-11-14, 06:49 PM
Horner floated the idea of returning the 2.4L V-8s but admitted it was far fetched. I think his point is that something needs to be done and Mercedes is (in his view) being obstinate. He is also marrying a Spice Girl, which really seems odd to me for some reason.

Insomniac
11-12-14, 03:49 PM
What about both? I like more options, but would they need some equivalency and limits? Is it practical with the current chassis? Seems in some places the current car was faster, others slower.

Tifosi24
11-12-14, 06:58 PM
What about both? I like more options, but would they need some equivalency and limits? Is it practical with the current chassis? Seems in some places the current car was faster, others slower.

I was thinking the same thing, so I looked at the lap difference last night. There were some onboard comparisons from Barcelona and there was a 4-5 second difference in pole time (2013 faster). Maybe if they took some of the restrictions off the V6 and restricted the V8s you could get somewhere, but I don't think that will happen, the time difference seems too great. The only positive out of this research is that my 3 year old and I watched lots of classic onboards. The little guy thinks the old Lamborghini V12 is the best engine, it elicited the most uncontrollable dancing.

Truthfully, the engine recommendation is better than the proposal floated to create a two-tier system where teams could field Super GP2 equipment. Things are starting to look like the emperor has no clothes.

stroker
11-12-14, 11:39 PM
The word you're all grasping for is "FUBAR"...

Mary
11-15-14, 10:26 AM
The word you're all grasping for is "FUBAR"...

Yep, and the person who made it this way, Bernie Ecclestone, has lost his mind. First he thought that he was the one who created the problems in F1, specifically regarding the small teams (true). Then he professed that he doesn't care if all the "little" teams disappeared. Now he doesn't care about getting young fans! Really?

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/110881-ecclestone-f1-doesn-t-need-young-fans

Do the math, Bernie. If you can still count, that is. Do a Ted Baxter and put a dollar sign in front of the number, then try. How many years does your rich 70-year-old have to be a fan and buy stuff vs. your tweeting 15-year-old? Remember the dollar sign. BTW, Disney isn't broke.

I'm no engine-geek, I don't really care what they are. V8s were fine with me, but if I were a manufacturer, I'd probably want to work with something more contemporary and relevant in today's world. Whatever, they need to pick something and stick with it.

F1 is dashing headlong into Hades. Sad.

Mary

pfc_m_drake
11-16-14, 05:36 PM
The V-8 suggestion is better than the two-tier system, but I just don't see them going to V-8's after the ship's already sailed.
I can't help but think that Honda would be pissed as well, being that they've already sunk who knows how much $ into the V-6 plan for next year.

That said, I do wonder how competitive the V-6 package would be if you removed the 100 kg/hr fuel flow restriction? Something to think about.

cameraman
11-16-14, 06:06 PM
The V-8 suggestion is better than the two-tier system, but I just don't see them going to V-8's after the ship's already sailed.
I can't help but think that Honda would be pissed as well, being that they've already sunk who knows how much $ into the V-6 plan for next year.

That said, I do wonder how competitive the V-6 package would be if you removed the 100 kg/hr fuel flow restriction? Something to think about.

They were near record pace at Brazil, probably due to the turbo at elevation (although 2500' doesn't exactly strike me as high elevation) Take the fuel limit off and I would bet that they would be on par with any other year.

Tifosi24
11-16-14, 09:37 PM
They were near record pace at Brazil, probably due to the turbo at elevation (although 2500' doesn't exactly strike me as high elevation) Take the fuel limit off and I would bet that they would be on par with any other year.

I think I heard them say the record pace in Brazil had a lot to do with resurfacing as well. I have thought the same about performance if the fuel limit is removed but still require all the powerplants to make it to the end without refueling.

Easy
11-17-14, 12:48 AM

They could be absolutely phenomenal without that stupid fuel flow restriction. They can't even use all the available revs (mandated RPM limit 15,000) because of the fuel flow restriction and the Mercedes is still rumored to be at around the equivalent of 900 bhp between the ERS systems and the ICE. With the reduced downforce, especially at the rear and all that potential power this could be among the most exciting tech eras ever. Hopefully, they lift the engine freeze and we see a nice bump in power. Hell, with a boatload of power and relatively low downforce they could even ditch the decreasingly effective DRS gimmick.