PDA

View Full Version : Food questions

TravelGal
11-08-14, 12:55 PM
I miss the extended is discussions on smoking meat, bacon, etc. but they made me realize YOU GUYS CAN COOK. Therefore, I'm starting a thread for advice, recommendations, etc.

MY question is: short of making it myself, how can I get or where can I find the strawberry topping often used for pancakes and waffles? It's not jam or jelly or pie filling. It's much less dense. Any ideas? Surely IHOP doesn't have someone in the back slicing strawberries but their version is pretty good.

TravelGuy gave me a Belgian Waffle maker for my birthday (just like them boooteek hotels :gomer: ) and my favorite topping is strawberry.

Thanks!

Mr. Vengeance
11-08-14, 01:32 PM
My guess is the frozen can of sliced strawberries with some sugar added if it's needed. Come to think of it I haven't seen those in a long time, but they were in a rectangular container, kinda like a Spam can. Failing that, bagged frozen strawberries are easy to find and when they thaw out they'll (probably?) let out a lot of liquid. Add some sugar and you should be good to go. Fresh would be better but that's a pipe dream where I live.

Or you could do this: http://www.supergluemom.com/ihops-strawberry-syrup-recipe/ :)

Dvdb
11-08-14, 03:53 PM
I bet you could find a more precise recipe somewhere online, but if I was just playing around, I would probably start with the frozen strawberrys, and maybe add some cornstarch to tighten up the juice.

Maybe look at cheesecake recipes and see what they use for a strawberry topping?

Andrew Longman
11-08-14, 04:18 PM
You want to make a syrup by heating sugar over low heat and whisking constantly. Don't let brown. You just want melt it.

Yes, use the frozen strawberries (or any frozen fruit). Mix with the syrup and stir constantly until everything is up to temp.

As for for proportion it is really up to you. I use 1-1.5 cups of sugar and then just add fruit a bit at a time until it is the sweetness and consistency I like.

You can also play around with adding a bit of spice like ginger, allspice, nutmeg, etc. To your taste.

TravelGal
11-08-14, 08:37 PM
Thank you! A corollary: after making the syrup, if I should somehow not consume all the strawberry sauce, may I freeze the leftovers (thereby refreezing the strawberries) or should I just power through and eat it all? :D

devilmaster
11-10-14, 10:11 AM
You should, But always remember the wonderful word botulism. Look online for recipes known as freezer jam. (Which is basically making homemade jam without the canning process)

cameraman
11-10-14, 12:37 PM
The non-cooking version is:

Smucker's Fruit Syrups (http://www.smuckers.com/products/syrup)

http://static.jmslinks.com/WebService/ProdAdminImage.ashx?id=115

They make blackberry, blueberry, boysenberry, raspberry, strawberry and triple berry syrups

Andrew Longman
11-10-14, 10:04 PM
Thank you! A corollary: after making the syrup, if I should somehow not consume all the strawberry sauce, may I freeze the leftovers (thereby refreezing the strawberries) or should I just power through and eat it all? :DThe batches I describe are small enough that they won't last long. And it is quick to make more if I need it. Remember it has a lot of sugar in it so it won't really go bad, especially in the fridge.

TravelGal
11-11-14, 11:54 AM
The batches I describe are small enough that they won't last long. And it is quick to make more if I need it. Remember it has a lot of sugar in it so it won't really go bad, especially in the fridge.

That a good point. All of them. I keep the cranberry sauce in the fridge all year and no problems. Only once have I had to reboil it.

NB, Cameraman, I've made a list of those Smuckers syrups for TravelGuy to search out. Blueberry. Mmmmmmm. :)

Elmo T
11-12-14, 08:39 AM
That a good point. All of them. I keep the cranberry sauce in the fridge all year and no problems.

If you are doing the cranberry sauce thing - Alton Brown's is the best going IMHO:

Tart Cranberry Dipping Sauce (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tart-cranberry-dipping-sauce-recipe0.html)

chop456
11-12-14, 08:53 AM
The non-cooking version is:

They make blackberry, blueberry, boysenberry, raspberry, strawberry and triple berry syrups

Also called "red goo". Available at GFS in a #10 can. :yuck:

cameraman
11-12-14, 12:11 PM

The Smucker's is a higher grade of red goo than you will find at IHOP for what that's worth. On the expensive food aisle of some of the grocery stores around here you can find Maple Grove Farms syrups in apricot, blueberry, boysenberry, raspberry and strawberry. Far better than Smucker's but not inexpensive.

http://www.maplegrove.com/images_products/ff_strawberry.jpg

TravelGal
11-12-14, 12:22 PM

LOL. Still, I'll try the blueberry.

As for cranberry sauce, I'd be curious about the recipes you all use. I've already made mine for the season.
2 bags ocean spray cranberries (I've found other brands to be inferior), discard too soft and too dark, 3/4 bottle Karo light syrup, 1 teaspoon lemon peel, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cloves, 1/4 diced apple (McIntosh are best but Rome also good. They are sometimes hard to find so use any but Delicious). Boil 'er til she's done, stirring intermittently.

I usually make 4 batches and it lasts all year on the bottom drawer of the fridge.

BTW, I can highly recommend my new Waring Pro four-square professional Belgian waffle maker. Very quick and easy to adjust to the setting you like. Where to put the thing is another question. We must have a garage sale, SOON!

TravelGal
11-12-14, 12:25 PM
Further: I like that cranberry recipe. Innovative. I'll print it out and attach it to my recipe card for next year.

I'll also write down the Maple Grove brand. It may be available around here in some of the higher end stores. Would make a nice Christmas present. We like to wrap everything so there are lots of things to open, even if it's socks (got them for my birthday) or fruit syrup. :)