PDA

View Full Version : Jules Bianchi

cameraman
10-05-14, 06:31 AM
The race ended with Jules Bianchi spinning off into and almost fully under the rear end of the JCB recovering Adrian Sutil's car. No news a couple hours after the incident beyond severe head injuries. It has been too long a wait for information...

cameraman
10-05-14, 06:53 AM
Bianchi's dad has confirmed to French TV that Jules is undergoing surgery for a severe head trauma and is in a critical state

DagoFast
10-05-14, 07:00 AM
Hoping for the best possible outcome for him. Thoughts are with him, his family and friends.

opinionated ow
10-05-14, 07:34 AM
It's an update and it's slightly positive. Fortunately he is still with us. Apparently they did have double waved yellows out

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116180

Pilgrims Drop
10-05-14, 07:52 AM
Some rather disturbing images of the Marussia in the twitterverse... and on some british newsoutlets...

This can be very very bad...

cameraman
10-05-14, 11:31 AM
The entire top of the car was removed, the roll hoop and air scoop are gone. It is something of a miracle that he wasn't killed instantly. Now that he is out of surgery we get to wait as the doctors try to manage the swelling.

Mary
10-05-14, 12:41 PM
I went back to bed after the race last night, or rather really early this morning, knowing that he was unconscious and being taken to the hospital. I feared the worst. When I got up today I was relieved to hear that he was still alive and was to undergo surgery. Then I saw some of the pictures. Sending my best thoughts his way.

Mary

Pilgrims Drop
10-05-14, 12:43 PM
Apparently in ICU but off life support.... encouraging news!!

cameraman
10-05-14, 01:04 PM
If he is truly breathing on his own then that is fantastic.

gjc2
10-05-14, 05:06 PM
While searching the web for any additional information about Bianchi’s condition I’ve learned that Andrea de Cesaris has died, apparently in a motorcycle accident. He was 55.

Mary
10-05-14, 06:44 PM
While searching the web for any additional information about Bianchi’s condition I’ve learned that Andrea de Cesaris has died, apparently in a motorcycle accident. He was 55.

Sad news, RIP Andrea.

Mary

cameraman
10-06-14, 04:00 AM
"No latest news yet on Jules Bianchi but he is not breathing unassisted as previous reports had it."

"It has also been confirmed Bianchi hasn't undergone a second operation despite speculative reports to the contrary."

gjc2
10-06-14, 06:30 AM
Something that should never happen has happened twice to Marussia drivers.

Maria De Villota hit a truck that was on the track while testing for Marussia causing her horrible injuries.

WickerBill
10-06-14, 07:20 AM
I realize I'm armchair race-stewarding right now, but:

1. It was too wet to be circulating
2. It was too dark - the race should have been called for darkness when the rain intensified simply because of the dark cloud cover
3. All that being said, it was incredibly unfortunate and unlucky. I hope this turns out more like Massa and less like Schumacher.

Elmo T
10-06-14, 07:36 AM
2. It was too dark - the race should have been called for darkness when the rain intensified simply because of the dark cloud cover

I forgot how the TV broadcast brightens everything up. There were a couple shots after the race was completed that gave an indicator of how dark it really was there.

Didn't CART/Champcar have a similar race that went into the dark. I am thinking a Surfer's race, but I don't recall.

Tifosi24
10-06-14, 09:24 AM
I can't remember if it was Fontana '01 or '02, but I remember it was cut short because of darkness. I was watching it on TV and was a bit confused because the light still looked fine. As luck would have it, I saw one of my former professors, who worked pit-in for CART at the time, a couple days later. He said it might have looked fine on TV, but he told me it ran longer than it should have because he could barely see anything at the end of the race, and he wasn't even driving.

Getting back to Bianchi's incident, hindsight is always 20/20, but I am having a hard time understanding why the race wasn't put under the safety car before the incident. I watched the rebroadcast, so I knew what was coming, but when you consider the fact that a lap before Sutil goes off Buxton chimes in and says that the rain doubled intensity in less than a minute and then Sutil aquaplanes off in a very dangerous part of the track, that should have been the point when the safety car was deployed, and this doesn't even factor in light conditions. God-willing Bianchi will pull through, but they are lucky that Sutil or track marshals weren't killed.

I also read that Bianchi was driven to the hospital because the medical helicopter was grounded. I would assume that it was cleared for flight at the time of the accident because the race would have been halted, but someone should have been monitoring radar and said, hey in 10 minutes conditions will be questionable to fly the medivac, in which case the race should have been suspended. I know many WRC stages have been canceled in the past because the medical helicopter was grounded, which I believe is an FIA rule. Hopefully everything will turn out as best as it can, but my feeling is that this all could have been avoided if the race organizers and Bernie would have moved the race up earlier in the day or to Saturday.

Insomniac
10-06-14, 09:44 AM
I get the darkness likely had something to do with this, but 20 other cars got through there after Sutil. This is how they handle accidents in F1. I know this sounds like I'm blaming Bianchi, but I'm really just wondering was the track too bad for a local caution?

They should've had a plan to end the race with consideration of darkness in addition to weather. The promoters, the FIA and Bernie did everyone a disservice by holding firm on the start time. That's not 20/20.

WickerBill
10-06-14, 09:53 AM
Buxton stated that the FIA offered the race organizers the opportunity - twice - to move the start time to 11am or noon local time, and both offers were rebuffed.

datachicane
10-06-14, 10:51 AM
Back in the day there was plenty of griping over CART's hair-trigger use of the pace car. Insert some pithy observation here, I don't have the heart for it.

:(

Tifosi24
10-06-14, 10:52 AM
I get the darkness likely had something to do with this, but 20 other cars got through there after Sutil. This is how they handle accidents in F1. I know this sounds like I'm blaming Bianchi, but I'm really just wondering was the track too bad for a local caution?

They should've had a plan to end the race with consideration of darkness in addition to weather. The promoters, the FIA and Bernie did everyone a disservice by holding firm on the start time. That's not 20/20.

Sutil said that the amount of light was part of the reason he went off. I don't have a problem with local yellows in general, but when a car has already aquaplaned off in a fast part of the track, with relatively small runoff by current F1 standards, and the rain had magnified in intensity, it just seemed like an unnecessary risk.

Insomniac
10-06-14, 11:38 AM
Buxton stated that the FIA offered the race organizers the opportunity - twice - to move the start time to 11am or noon local time, and both offers were rebuffed.

I saw in other places they didn't want to move it for TV windows, which I would think wasn't as important to promoters but Bernie. The reason Buxton gave made little sense. They risked a non-race or an entire race under the safety car to ensure all the fans could be at the track? They got lucky the rain let up. If they were looking out for the fans at the track, they would've moved it up to ensure the fans who could get their earlier got a proper race.

WickerBill
10-06-14, 11:48 AM
If they were looking out for the fans at the track, they would've moved it up to ensure the fans who could get their earlier got a proper race.

....and to get those fans out of the facility and back toward home before the worst of the storm hit. I hear ya.

gjc2
10-06-14, 12:52 PM
Jalopnik has video of the impact.
It's awful.

Tifosi24
10-06-14, 01:03 PM
It's awful.

I went against my better judgment and watched it, think Francois Cevert. He goes off the road straight on, no control. If he doesn't hit the tractor it still would have been a very heavy incident. There were also marshals guiding Sutil's car on the crane. If he goes off about 15-20 feet further down the track he kills a marshal and plows into the bottom of Sutil's car on the hoist.

Insomniac
10-06-14, 01:05 PM
:eek: Looks like a matter of inches.

Gnam
10-06-14, 01:27 PM
Saw Rush last night. Ron Howard made Lauda look like a hero for NOT risking his life at Fuji. Seems like some lessons have been forgotten.

Insomniac
10-06-14, 02:07 PM
Saw Rush last night. Ron Howard made Lauda look like a hero for NOT risking his life at Fuji. Seems like some lessons have been forgotten.

That type of action by a single driver just seems uncharacteristic of the type of person who becomes an elite driver. It's akin to a football player not wanting to keep playing after getting a concussion. Not saying it's wrong, just that most would put the competition above the risk.

Mary
10-06-14, 08:40 PM
It's awful.

I can't believe he is alive after that. Incredible.

Mary

Mary
10-06-14, 08:45 PM
Back in the day there was plenty of griping over CART's hair-trigger use of the pace car. Insert some pithy observation here, I don't have the heart for it.

Jacques Villeneuve's comments: http://racer.com/f1/item/109449-villeneuve-calls-for-safety-car-changes

"The rules have to be changed concerning the safety car," said the 1997 world champion. "When I was racing, and afterwards, I was always saying that any time there is an accident there should be a safety car.

"There should not be room for judgment. If someone has to go out to pick up a car stranded on the track, it's simple. Accident – safety car, and that's it. It should have been like that for years. America has had that forever."

Villeneuve believes that critics who feel races are neutralised too often are wrong, and that the risk of another car colliding with a stationary vehicle is too high to cover such situations off with yellow flags.

Mary

devilmaster
10-06-14, 11:25 PM
Didn't CART/Champcar have a similar race that went into the dark. I am thinking a Surfer's race, but I don't recall.

Mikey returning from F1. Surfers was the first race iirc, and he ran for chip's team. Chip was running down pit lane pleading to end the race early as the street lights in pit lane went on.

Something like that anyways.

But the bianchi incident almost happened to schumacher in brazil in 2003. he lost in the wet and slid to where a crane was in the runoff removing cars. Schu missed though.

JoeBob
10-07-14, 12:06 AM
If there's large equipment on the track, I don't see how you don't have a safety car out there. Especially when a car hydroplaned off track. How can you not assume another car will do the same thing in the same location?

Mind boggling.

opinionated ow
10-07-14, 04:30 AM
If there's large equipment on the track, I don't see how you don't have a safety car out there. Especially when a car hydroplaned off track. How can you not assume another car will do the same thing in the same location?

Mind boggling.

I hate to say it but Bianchi clearly ignored the double waved yellow. The International Sporting Code says a double waved yellow means drivers must slow immediately and be prepared to stop. If he aquaplaned off at that sort of speed he clearly hadn't slowed. I don't want to blame a bloke who's very lucky to not be dead but this accident happened on the next lap. His team has to have said something to him and the flags were out too.

Signals used at marshal posts
Marshal flag signals
a)Red flag
This should be shown waved only on instruction from the Clerk of the Course when it becomes necessary to stop a practice session or the race in conformity with Article 2.4.4.1 b) above.

b)Yellow flag
This is a signal of danger and should be shown to drivers in two ways with the following meanings:

-Single waved: Reduce your speed, do not overtake, and be prepared to change direction. There is a hazard beside or partly on the track.

-Double waved: Reduce your speed significantly, do not overtake, and be prepared to change direction or stop. There is a hazard wholly or partly blocking the track and/or marshals working on or beside the track.

Yellow flags should normally be shown only at the marshal post immediately preceding the hazard. In some cases, however, the Clerk of the Course may order them to be shown at more than one marshal post preceding an incident. Overtaking is not permitted between the first yellow flag and the green flag displayed after the incident. Yellow flags should not be shown in the pit lane unless there is an incident of which the driver should be made aware

Tifosi24
10-07-14, 09:24 AM
I hate to say it but Bianchi clearly ignored the double waved yellow. The International Sporting Code says a double waved yellow means drivers must slow immediately and be prepared to stop. If he aquaplaned off at that sort of speed he clearly hadn't slowed. I don't want to blame a bloke who's very lucky to not be dead but this accident happened on the next lap. His team has to have said something to him and the flags were out too.

Without the telemetry from his car, and an idea of where he left the track and the angle he hit the tractor (I don't know exactly where the impact video was shot from), it is unclear if he ignored the yellow flags. I think it is likely that he didn't given them as much respect as he should have, but based on one of the graphics I have seen it is possible that he began aquaplaning before the yellow sector. Again, it is all speculation because we have no telemetry, and we don't know what lines Bianchi had been taking through that area of the track in previous laps.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/yes-a-green-flag-was-waving-but-know-the-whole-story

cameraman
10-07-14, 11:53 AM
So Bianchi's diagnosis is a diffuse axonal injury. There is a wide range of outcomes to that diagnosis but generally speaking it is not a diagnosis you ever want to see.:shakehead:

Gary Hartman explains it better than most:

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/diffuse-axonal-injury/

Easy
10-07-14, 06:32 PM

Besides not being able to know how hard Bianchi was driving without seeing the telemetry, the infamous fan video reportedly shows greens flags waving ahead of the Sutil incident when Bianchi went off. I haven't watched that video and won't but multiple news outlets have reported this.

Hard Driver
10-07-14, 10:59 PM
As far as "too wet"... most of the cars were on intermediate tires, and had not changed over to full wets... They may have needed to, but I can't say that the race should have been stopped when the cars were running on the intermediate tires. As far as too dark... it was regular race time, the race had not been delayed. Seems like a heavy dark clouds still should leave enough light.

And as far as the start time.... a lot of that race was held on a drying track. The wettest part was the first laps, then it dried... can't say that shows the race should have been moved forward either. It was a pretty good race until the end.

I think the reality is that if a double yellow had been shown or not needs to figured out, but it was quite a bit of time since the accident, you would think the double yellow would be out. If they were, then maybe Bianchi made a mistake and went too fast through the double yellow.

Or you could take Jacques view and say that F1 needs to stop local yellows and go full course if there is ever an incident. Or maybe full course if there is ever an incident in the rain.

Personally, I don't see the race organizer at fault here.

SteveH
10-07-14, 11:59 PM
Top Gear TV presenter Richard Hammond is a good example of a patient who made a recovery from a diffuse axonal injury and he woke up after around one week.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/10/bianchi-family-issues-a-statement-on-jules-condition/

let us hope

opinionated ow
10-08-14, 04:39 AM
As far as "too wet"... most of the cars were on intermediate tires, and had not changed over to full wets... They may have needed to, but I can't say that the race should have been stopped when the cars were running on the intermediate tires. As far as too dark... it was regular race time, the race had not been delayed. Seems like a heavy dark clouds still should leave enough light.

And as far as the start time.... a lot of that race was held on a drying track. The wettest part was the first laps, then it dried... can't say that shows the race should have been moved forward either. It was a pretty good race until the end.

I think the reality is that if a double yellow had been shown or not needs to figured out, but it was quite a bit of time since the accident, you would think the double yellow would be out. If they were, then maybe Bianchi made a mistake and went too fast through the double yellow.

Or you could take Jacques view and say that F1 needs to stop local yellows and go full course if there is ever an incident. Or maybe full course if there is ever an incident in the rain.

I completely agree. I still think Bianchi didn't back off. The video that everyone talks about showing a green flag is shot after the incident which means the marshal should have been showing a green flag. The FIA would not have confirmed the double waved yellow in their media release if it wasn't true.

The only thing I could add is that this race used to start at either 1 or 2PM local time and it was moved (as was the Australian GP) under pressure from Bernie for better European television ratings.

gjc2
10-08-14, 05:54 AM
So Bianchi's diagnosis is a diffuse axonal injury. There is a wide range of outcomes to that diagnosis but generally speaking it is not a diagnosis you ever want to see.:shakehead:

Gary Hartman explains it better than most:

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/diffuse-axonal-injury/

The doctor’s assessment was grim, but he ended it with “C’mon Jules. Go for it.” Maybe there's hope.

Insomniac
10-08-14, 09:11 AM

It wasn't regular race time. There was a long red flag at the beginning AND the race didn't go full distance. I, like others recognized the TV cameras brighten the available light, but the footage of the crash doesn't make it seem that dark. With that said, drivers are on record saying they couldn't tell where water was collecting because they couldn't see it reflecting.

Someone broke down the flag situation already:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/yes-a-green-flag-was-waving-but-know-the-whole-story

Jacques said full course if there is equipment/people on track. The above author is right, they're playing with fire every time someone.

JoeBob
10-08-14, 11:02 AM
I agree that speed under double yellows being a big issue. Dr. Hartstein wrote a great piece on that. Read it: http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/2271/

That said, the only real way to ensure safety and fairness is a safety car. Otherwise, while you're slowing down for safety, you're also trying to make sure you don't slow down more than your competitors.

Napoleon
10-08-14, 03:29 PM
That said, the only real way to ensure safety and fairness is a safety car. Otherwise, while you're slowing down for safety, you're also trying to make sure you don't slow down more than your competitors.

I raced amateur in the SCCA for years and sometime early on, it may have even been at Mid-Ohio, I end up in a full course yellow situation but there was no safety car on track for whatever reason. I naturally slow and immediately lost ground to the pack ahead and people behind, which in my effort to make up I ended up setting my fasted lap at that track up to that time under a full course yellow. The result was I was maintaining my intervals to the cars ahead and behind. That was an eye opener.

It is naïve to think that F1 drivers are going to do anything other then drive as fast as they can under a yellow if they can do it. Otherwise they are going to be that much farther behind the guy in front of them when the green comes back out.

Mary
10-08-14, 08:04 PM
It is naïve to think that F1 drivers are going to do anything other then drive as fast as they can under a yellow if they can do it. Otherwise they are going to be that much farther behind the guy in front of them when the green comes back out.

IIRC, Montoya talked about having to catch up to the pack when he ran into the jet dryer at Daytona.

Mary

TedN
10-09-14, 06:33 AM
Drivers will wear this sticker on their helmets this weekend ....

Photo (http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/image/178659.html?page=1)

Ted

cameraman
10-10-14, 11:10 AM
It seems that race control had no idea that Bianchi had gone off until one of the corner workers ran to the marshal's stand to call it in. It happened so fast that no one but the couple guys in the crew working on the corner had any idea of what had happened.

It was agreed before the race that ambulances could be used, if no heli, as hospital was close enough. 25 mins is the FIA's mandated time.

FIA doctor says Bianchi's condition not affected by transfer to hospital by ambulance rather than helicopter. FIA said decision to use ambulances was taken 10am, well before race. Ambulance transfer took 32 minutes with police escort. Heli could take off, but not land at hospital.

FIA looking at automatic speed limits implemented past a crash site but only after drivers have been warned over the radio.

Suzuka track video showed that Bianchi got sideways, over corrected, and went straight off

Probably better to take the decision on how much to slow down away from the drivers. Bianchi did slow down, it's a matter of degree.

Also the device on the Marussia that automatically sends warning of high g impact to race control was damaged and did not send signal.

cameraman
11-19-14, 12:23 PM
It seems he is stable, breathing on his own and no longer in an induced coma. He has just been transferred back to France. He is still unconscious and only time will tell to what extent he ever wakes up, if he wakes up. :(

Insomniac
01-01-15, 04:57 PM
Latest News:

Jules Bianchi is still unconscious after Japan crash but Formula One star is breathing unaided, his parents reveal

Bianchi was left in a coma after horror crash in October
Driver moved to France last month, but has not regained consciousness
Parents insists 'Jules continues to fight' during rehabilitation therapy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2891522/Jules-Bianchi-unconscious-Japan-crash-Formula-One-star-breathing-unaided-parents-reveal.html

Elmo T
06-17-15, 08:30 AM
Lest we forget:

Jules Bianchi Health Updates: Jules' Health Condition Still Stagnant (http://www.crossmap.com/news/jules-bianchi-health-updates-jules-health-condition-still-stagnant-but-his-family-and-fans-are-still-hoping-for-a-full-recovery-18973)

Eight months after the crash, Jules Bianchi is still in coma with no signs of waking up. It has been months since his drug induced coma was halted, and still the F1 racer's is not awake. Jules' father describes the ordeal as a 'daily torture' for the family.

pfc_m_drake
07-17-15, 10:03 PM
Sad Update: Jules passed away today.
https://www.facebook.com/JBianchi.Of...06786372683524
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/17/jules-bianchi-dies-at-age-25-his-family-confirms/

RIP :( We'll miss you.

TravelGal
07-18-15, 01:06 AM
Ohhh. Sad. I had been reading that his family said they did not expect him to recover. Tough times for them. :(

dando
07-18-15, 09:20 AM

cameraman
07-18-15, 11:20 AM
He was far better than the car he was driving. He had a bright future in F1.

Mary
07-19-15, 11:23 AM
RIP Jules, RIP. Condolences to your family.

Mary

TravelGal
07-21-15, 01:20 AM
So they have retired his number. I'm cynical enough to think that they think it will stop the fingers pointing directly as them as the cause of the death.

TedN
07-23-15, 05:57 AM
New crash data from Jules Bianchi's accident at the Japanese Grand Prix has revealed that the Frenchman suffered a peak deceleration nearly three times greater than initially thought.

The FIA now believes, however, that his ear plugs slipped at the key moment to underestimated the actual force. It reckons he actually suffered a peak impact of 254G.

Source (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-bianchi-crash-data-revealed)

Ted :eek:

ilferrari
07-23-15, 01:13 PM
So they have retired his number. I'm cynical enough to think that they think it will stop the fingers pointing directly as them as the cause of the death.

The FIA write the reports, and they are never going to blame themselves. Still, it was obvious to alot of people that they should have put the safety car out. They had cars aquaplaning off a fast corner, a recovery team on the outside, and an identical incident in 1994 (Brundle).

Insomniac
07-26-15, 02:22 PM
I didn't realize people blamed F1 for his accident. Seemed like so many factors came together to cause it.