PDA

View Full Version : Japanese GP - Typhoon Coming?

TedN
10-03-14, 06:17 AM
If you're planning to record the race, keep this in mind.

"The typhoon (Phanfone) is not far away, and if you believe the current forecast, I think a race at 3pm will be difficult,"

Indeed, given the late-afternoon race start time and the fact that F1 needs to be set up in Russia within mere days, a delayed race on Monday is not an option.

So in the team managers' meeting at Suzuka, the FIA's Charlie Whiting - reportedly coordinating with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone - discussed the possibility of the race being held on Sunday morning.

A combined qualifying-race Saturday is believed also to have been discussed.

Link (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-eyes-earlier-japan-gp-to-dodge-typhoon)

Ted

indyfan31
10-06-14, 12:22 AM
With continued thoughts about Bianchi's health....

I have a question about the race finish.
At the time of the second safety car (lap 44) Vettel was ahead of Ricciardo, Vettel pitted and Ricciardo passed him.
When the race was red flagged (lap 47) Ricciardo was still shown ahead.
The final results were based on lap 44 and Vettel was given the position. Why?

cameraman
10-06-14, 03:14 AM
They count back to the time of the safety car deployment if the race gets red flagged after the SC has been out for a while. Rules are rules.

indyfan31
10-06-14, 09:48 AM
According to Formula1.com (http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8690/) . . .

If for whatever reason it is impossible to resume the race, the rules state that “the results will be taken at the end of the penultimate lap before the lap during which the signal to suspend the race was given”.

Since it was red flagged on lap 47, the results should have been based on 46, when Ricciardo was in 3rd. I don't have a horse in this race, just confused.

cameraman
10-06-14, 03:23 PM
Penultimate so second to last lap before the signal. I believe they mean completed lap so the last completed lap was 46 and the penultimate lap prior would have been 44.

indyfan31
10-06-14, 07:15 PM
I realize this is beating a dead horse but penultimate is next to last, that would still be lap 45.
No one else thought "what the hell is Vettel doing in there" at the end?

WickerBill
10-07-14, 06:52 AM
I realize this is beating a dead horse but penultimate is next to last, that would still be lap 45.
No one else thought "what the hell is Vettel doing in there" at the end?

My understanding was that safety car situations are considered a "suspension of the race" -- so the order in which the cars are running when the SC leaves the pits is the final order in case of a stoppage. Otherwise, there's *no way* cars dive into the pits under safety car conditions; they would stay out to make sure the race would resume before giving up 28 seconds.

Elmo T
10-07-14, 07:59 AM
If anyone is so inclined, video is out of the crash. I won't post the link, but shouldn't be hard to find. It was at a much higher speed than I envisioned. :eek::(

gjc2
10-07-14, 08:10 AM
If anyone is so inclined, video is out of the crash. I won't post the link, but shouldn't be hard to find. It was at a much higher speed than I envisioned. :eek::(

I saw it on TV news

indyfan31
10-07-14, 10:23 AM
My understanding was that safety car situations are considered a "suspension of the race" -- so the order in which the cars are running when the SC leaves the pits is the final order in case of a stoppage. Otherwise, there's *no way* cars dive into the pits under safety car conditions; they would stay out to make sure the race would resume before giving up 28 seconds.

thanks.