PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Fire Extinguishers

TravelGal
09-13-14, 06:40 PM
Message for Elmo, paging Mr. ElmoT:

Now that we've got a new vehicle, we are reexamining everything in both cars. We've always carried small "car" fire extinguishers. Are they really useful/a good idea? I'm particularly fond of the idea that my new Accord stay red in color only and not because it's glowing. Any thoughts on what to buy, what to look for, whether it's a good investment? Amazon is offering space age technology, never before seen the in US for only $49.95. :gomer:

cameraman
09-14-14, 02:25 PM
I've used car fire extinguishers twice but thankfully neither time was I using it on my car. It doesn't hurt to have one around even if it only gets used in response to idiots tailgating. Having dealt with fires out in the sticks a long way from any firehouse I've taken to carrying around a 10lb ABC which is far larger than most people would want to carry. It was able to knock down a tall grass/catalytic converter fire in one canyon and an up ended charcoal grill mini disaster in another. And yes anyone who hooks their retriever's leash to the handle of the grill is a class AAA idiot:irked: I was gifted the original fire extinguisher, ones that size run about $90.

Andrew Longman
09-14-14, 06:33 PM
I am interested in Elmo's opinion on extinguishers but I also took the advise of the Red Cross and keep a go kit in each car. Includes first aid kit, jumpers, blanket, water, energy bars, small snow shovel , tampons (lots of uses beyond the obvious ) and the cell phone numbers of close and extended family members.

9/11 showed the local phone system gets overwhelmed before text and cell service and sometime the best way to call loved ones is to call someone way out of your local area to relay messages. And you might get separated from your cell (and not remember all those numbers stored in your phone) but you and family members are likely to always be near their car.

KLang
09-14-14, 08:18 PM
I too wonder what Elmo thinks. Personally, if the car is on fire I'm getting away as quick as I can.

Elmo T
09-15-14, 08:41 AM
Sorry - things have been a bit hectic but looking better now.

The biggest issue with vehicle extinguishers is you want something small. And small doesn't put out a lot of fire.

A 5lb ABC type would be the minimum I think and they are bulkier than you might like. I take a 5lb on the long Disney run. Otherwise, one of those smaller 2.5 units OR an aerosol unit is in the truck on a normal basis. They won't put out much, but most big fires start small.

And please, make sure someone is calling 911 if you are busting out the extinguishers. Not controlling the fire and THEN calling 911? Not good.

And Mr. Longman's advice is :thumbup: