PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Are On Their Own

Insomniac
09-13-14, 11:05 AM
Governing body the FIA says it will now enforce a rule dictating drivers must "drive the car alone and unaided".

This will prevent teams telling drivers how to alter how they approach corners, as Mercedes do with title rivals Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.

The letter forbids teams communicating "any information related to the performance of the car or driver".

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29161931

I think the intention is good. They should be allowed to warn on mechanical failures though.

TedN
09-13-14, 11:17 AM
Examples of what is allowed and what is not. Link (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115824)

Ted

Rus'L
09-13-14, 12:09 PM
This is going to be impossible to police...

cameraman
09-13-14, 12:16 PM
It will be interesting to see if anyone runs out of fuel. That will be very hard to manage without input from the pit wall.

Tifosi24
09-13-14, 01:14 PM
Does this rule relate strictly to radio communication? If so, they the pit signs will become very important again.

Gnam
09-13-14, 01:42 PM
Impossible to enforce. Prisoners can always sneak a message past the guards.

Are the F1 stewards going to hire code breakers? :shakehead:

Gopeddle
09-13-14, 02:32 PM
Kimi's dream come true. :)

chop456
09-13-14, 03:16 PM
+1.

Window dressing.

indyfan31
09-13-14, 03:53 PM
Allowed
- Team orders in terms of overtaking or letting a team-mate past

I thought team orders were against the rules. :confused:

gjc2
09-13-14, 03:54 PM
Pit to driver: It’s beautiful day.
Driver to pit: Understood, it’s a beautiful day.

cameraman
09-13-14, 04:26 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxUWk-PCIAEEwL-.jpg

Gnam
09-13-14, 04:33 PM
:laugh:

Insomniac
09-13-14, 05:50 PM
What's not really on the list is if something is wrong on the car. We've seen an ERS issue at nearly every race. It'll be interesting.

Andrew Longman
09-13-14, 06:26 PM
The fact that they can't use the radio for anything useful EVEN in practice even though there is effectively no testing, is plainly stupid.

Take the radios out the cars completely and go back to pit boards.

I can't believe that some smart engineer won't find a way to squirrel away a radio in the car that communicates on an encrypted channel that teams plausibly could claim they have nothing to do with.

More to the point has anyone's viewing pleasure been spoiled by having a driver told to change his braking point? Didn't think so.

pfc_m_drake
09-13-14, 07:42 PM
Very stupid.

I'm sure that teams will find a way around it. Also, I very much enjoy the communication that goes on between engineer and driver, so in that sense it will actually detract from my enjoyment of the race.

Hopefully they change their minds.

JoeBob
09-14-14, 11:11 PM
Easiest way around it is a display on the steering wheel/on the dash.

Read "The Beast" - a fantastic telling of the Penske-Mercedes Pushrod project. Even in the mid-1990s, the team could display messages for the driver on the steering wheel.

Elmo T
09-15-14, 08:48 AM
Pit to driver: It’s beautiful day.
Driver to pit: Understood, it’s a beautiful day.

:rofl::thumbup::thumbup:

pfc_m_drake
09-15-14, 10:02 PM
Easiest way around it is a display on the steering wheel/on the dash.

Read "The Beast" - a fantastic telling of the Penske-Mercedes Pushrod project. Even in the mid-1990s, the team could display messages for the driver on the steering wheel.I actually have read "The Beast" and it is indeed an excellent book. Highly recommended for anybody who hasn't read it yet.

Regarding messages transmitted and displayed via the steering wheel - that's apparently banned as well under 8.5.2 of the technical regulations (covered under data transmission from pit to car).

As I see it, I'm sure that the teams will attempt to circumvent these regulations somehow. As such, I guess we'll all learn what "rigorously enforce this regulation with immediate effect" actually means.

Andrew Longman
09-16-14, 11:41 AM
I don't see why a driver can't just carry a cell phone with an ear bud in his drivers suit. The team could just ring him up. The call would be on a secure line. They are not communicating "with the car" and the phone goes with the driver when the car is being inspected. And who's to say the driver can't talk to his mother while driving or order a pizza for after the race?

G.
09-17-14, 05:13 PM
This is so stupid on so many levels, I'm not sure where to begin.

Oh well. It will mean jobs for an ARMY of F1 employees, so that's nice.

TravelGal
09-17-14, 08:09 PM
Thank you, G. I've been reading this thread and articles before it. I just think the whole thing is completely idiotic. :shakehead:

gjc2
09-18-14, 07:22 AM
The part of this I can’t grasp is how in a series that is supposed to represent the leading edge of technology would limit the transfer of information from to and from the car/driver.

Even modern road cars transfer information between the vehicle and the “cloud”.

indyfan31
09-18-14, 10:25 AM
Ok, Ill be a dissenting vote. I think it's about time.

Yes modern cars have telemetry that allows them to talk to back to the manufacturer, but their drivers aren't in competition with each other (unless they're in California).

The purpose of the race team is to give the driver the best car possible using whatever knowledge, research, and technology is available to them. The driver then should take that car and use his/her knowledge, skill, and experience to get the best possible result during a race. The idea that a driver should benefit from a bunch of engineers sitting in front of monitors telling him where to shift, when to brake, and how to manage his tires is absurd. That's the DRIVER's job, let them do it on their own. Kimi's "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" is the perfect example of this.

And for the record, yes, I think offensive coordinators calling in plays to the Quarterback is stupid. :)

G.
09-19-14, 07:26 PM
Ok, Ill be a dissenting vote. I think it's about time.

Yes modern cars have telemetry that allows them to talk to back to the manufacturer, but their drivers aren't in competition with each other (unless they're in California).

The purpose of the race team is to give the driver the best car possible using whatever knowledge, research, and technology is available to them. The driver then should take that car and use his/her knowledge, skill, and experience to get the best possible result during a race. The idea that a driver should benefit from a bunch of engineers sitting in front of monitors telling him where to shift, when to brake, and how to manage his tires is absurd. That's the DRIVER's job, let them do it on their own. Kimi's "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" is the perfect example of this.

And for the record, yes, I think offensive coordinators calling in plays to the Quarterback is stupid. :)

sglyFwTjfDU

;)

I'd love to hear how you can enforce this one. If you outlaw ALL comms, then you have a chance. A poor one, probably, but a chance.