PDA

View Full Version : We have a winnah!

TravelGal
09-02-14, 12:03 PM
I watched Fontana on my DVR on Sunday morning and, I'll admit it with my flame protectors at hand, I was on the edge of seat for the last 40 laps. Local paper said they had 25,000 people, down from 40,000 last year and 30,000 the year before. It was Labor Day and bake your cookies hot so they could explain that away. I also read that the sponsor signed on for another two years. Glutton for punishment, I guess.

Back to the race. I think someone must have slipped some prozac in Power's water bottle. That was not the Will P we all know and love. Working methodically through the field. Self control. Except there near the end when he went for the lead and before the pits blew his set up. In fact, Helio's move was so Power-esque, I couldn't help but appreciate the irony of it all.

Kudos to TK. He took the lack of attention in stride; he was just so glad to have won. I thought it was one of the best races all year. Perhaps because it was and perhaps because I actually cared who won this time. I don't know--but I was exhausted when it was finally over.

Chief
09-02-14, 01:43 PM
Seems it was quite popular across America...too:

IndyCar 0.18 rating NBCSN 9:00 pm Saturday Fontana CA (-18% from 0.22 last year)

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-august-30-31-2014.html

TravelGal
09-02-14, 04:03 PM
Seems it was quite popular across America...too:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-ratings-august-30-31-2014.html

IndyCar
0.18 rating NBCSN 9:00 pm Saturday Fontana CA (-18% from 0.22 last year)

:laugh: That 10-something PM start on the East Coast really helped. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
09-02-14, 04:13 PM
A 9:20 pm EST green flag, though necessary to eliminate the sun glare on the back stretch, did not help. I was motivated to watch it but fell asleep with about 40 to go.

Happy for TK. He's had a rough season and he deserved it.

Not so happy for Power. I don't dislike him but it seems the champion should not have nearly as many unforced truly stupid errors -- especially in a series where everyone is running pretty much the same stuff.

Easy
09-02-14, 04:46 PM
It seems that they did everything they possibly could to make the on-site and TV audiences as small as they could be.

TedN
09-02-14, 06:43 PM
I thought Tracy and Bell did another solid job in the booth. PT continues to amuse. His comment about how Liz Power's water bottle looked like a jaihouse shiv broke me up.

Ted

TKGAngel
09-02-14, 07:13 PM
I made it to Lap 175 before I fell asleep.

I did like PT's interview of Penske during the pre-race. From what PT said on the Tweeter, that was his and RP's first real conversation in 17 years. I can't believe it was that long ago that he left Penske for Team Kool Green.