PDA

View Full Version : Today in History

TravelGal
09-01-14, 06:50 PM
This thread title can go all sorts of crazy ways but I'm starting with a FB post from one of my friends. It touched my heart.

Today is the 75th anniversary of the Nazi invasion of Poland in 1939, which marked the official beginning of WWII. On this day, I wish to recognize and humbly thank my father-in-law Franciszek J,,,,,,, who fought with the Underground, my father Paul N,,,,,, who fought with the RAF, and all the men and women of The Greatest Generation. It is they who are chiefly responsible for the freedoms we have today. Rest in peace.

gjc2
09-02-14, 06:25 AM
Today is the 69th anniversary of V-J Day.

On September 2nd 1945 representatives of the Empire of Japan signed the Articles of Surrender aboard the USS Missouri officially ending World War II.

TravelGal
09-02-14, 11:39 AM
I can remember standing on THE spot on the Missouri when it was mothballed in Bremerton in about 1983. I can still see the plaque in my mind's eye. Standing nearly on top of it, gazing at it, was beyond words. A small picture of the ceremony hung behind it. That was it because the ship was laid up. It must be quite something to see it now in Pearl Harbor.

Thanks to gjc2, I read the history of the ship. I really had no idea of all the things she did.