PDA

View Full Version : Call blocker for Mobile Phones

TravelGal
08-30-14, 01:19 PM
Apologies if this has been asked and answered in another thread. I use my phone almost exclusively for calls about TravelMom who lives on the East Coast. Therefore, when it rings before 8 AM on the West Coast, my heart pounds, thinking there is some emergency. One guy called me 8 times yesterday. Six before 7 AM and two late in the day. Yes, I even answered and told him to stop calling. It got me looking at call blockers. Truecaller gets good reviews but the latest upgrade seems to block WANTED calls. Maybe those people didn't understand a white list function?

Anyway, what do you recommend? At the moment I have an Android Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE. Perhaps to be changed to an iPhone but with the recent automobile purchase, smaller things are on indefinite hold.

SteveH
08-30-14, 01:32 PM
I don't know if this will help but call your carrier and ask what they suggest. Especially if you know the number placing the call. Most times though if it's a telemarketer that number is blocked. Or is this an old beau?;)

TravelGal
08-30-14, 01:36 PM
I don't know if this will help but call your carrier and ask what they suggest. Especially if you know the number placing the call. Most times though if it's a telemarketer that number is blocked. Or is this an old beau?;)

Teehee. I shall have to tell TravelGuy that one.

"My carrier" is Virgin Mobile and they don't do anything. Hey, for $35 a month (including taxes and fees), I get what I pay for. 300 minutes (I never use them all), unlimited text and data, and zero service. :D

G.
08-30-14, 06:11 PM
It's easy to block TEXTS with Virgin, but I haven't found out how to block calls yet...

For texts, go to your account, click on message history, and edit details.

If you click the box in the bottom section, you will get NO TEXTS from anyone. Probably don't want that...

edit: Go to your phone icon, select "logs", choose your ex's number ;) , press the bottom-right "list" button, choose "Add to reject list".

I think that will do it.

(the "list" button is at the bottom of the glass, to the left of the "home" button. The "back" or "undo" is on the other side of the home.)

mapguy
08-30-14, 06:15 PM
I have an Android phone and I use Call Control. It's free. I installed it a month ago and haven't had any telemarketer calls since. :thumbup:

Kiwifan
08-30-14, 08:44 PM
We have iPhones so unless you are splashing out... I guess not much use but you can set them to restrict calls to family and friends between set hours. We LOVE it!

Doesn't stop the landline tho. ;-) good luck.

TravelGal
08-30-14, 09:16 PM
It's easy to block TEXTS with Virgin, but I haven't found out how to block calls yet...

For texts, go to your account, click on message history, and edit details.

If you click the box in the bottom section, you will get NO TEXTS from anyone. Probably don't want that...

edit: Go to your phone icon, select "logs", choose your ex's number ;) , press the bottom-right "list" button, choose "Add to reject list".

I think that will do it.

(the "list" button is at the bottom of the glass, to the left of the "home" button. The "back" or "undo" is on the other side of the home.)

When I called Virgin Mobil, they said there was no way to block calls. Maybe it's my cheap-o plan. The only choices I see on the "list" button are "Copy to dialing screen" "Delete" and "Send number" I'll look into Call Control. Thanks, Mapguy. NB, it's not telemarketers--yet. It's some drunk in a hotel room (no, not my ex ;) ) or some sweet little Indian lady (I get her every few months).

Insomniac
08-30-14, 10:59 PM
I don't have Android, but they don't have an equivalent to Apple's "do not disturb"?

SteveH
08-30-14, 11:04 PM
When I called Virgin Mobil, they said there was no way to block calls. Maybe it's my cheap-o plan. The only choices I see on the "list" button are "Copy to dialing screen" "Delete" and "Send number" I'll look into Call Control. Thanks, Mapguy. NB, it's not telemarketers--yet. It's some drunk in a hotel room (no, not my ex ;) ) or some sweet little Indian lady (I get her every few months).

Not your plan according to this

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/help-support/

Block a phone number
Virgin Mobile does not currently support phone number blocking. You can check to see if a suitable app is available for download, or refer to your device User Guide for further specifications.

G.
08-30-14, 11:31 PM

Must be a Sammy Victory vs. III thing.

I've got 2 phones on Virgin, and the Galaxy 3 has a "Reject" list built-in. The LG whateveritis does not.

I'll try to stop calling you, but no promises.

;):p

http://www.mobicpc.com/how-to-block-a-phone-number-on-samsung-galaxy-victory-4g-lte.html

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-victory-4g-lte/725252-blocking-calls-send-directly-voice-mail.html

2 differing opinions. The first one seems to block everything, but you can create a whitelist.

It's bugging me that yours doesn't have it built-in. I've got issues.