PDA

View Full Version : NFL Pool '14

Pages : [1] 2

Dvdb
08-27-14, 12:54 PM
The benevolent commissioner (BC) was doing some tentative work on this year's pool.

The question is, do we want to include Thursday games this year? I was against it in previous years but I think it makes sense now that there is a weekly Thursday night game. I would probably set the deadline for 6pm Eastern, and do a weekly "bump" as a reminder.

Thought?

dando
08-27-14, 02:16 PM
The benevolent commissioner (BC) was doing some tentative work on this year's pool.

The question is, do we want to include Thursday games this year? I was against it in previous years but I think it makes sense now that there is a weekly Thursday night game. I would probably set the deadline for 6pm Eastern, and do a weekly "bump" as a reminder.

Thought?

I vote for Thursday games.

-Josh Gordon :gomer:

cameraman
08-27-14, 02:25 PM
yes to Thursday games

nrc
08-27-14, 11:48 PM
The ideal would be to include Thursday but allow people who miss the Thursday deadline to submit picks for the rest of the games.

TravelGal
08-28-14, 01:12 PM
The ideal would be to include Thursday but allow people who miss the Thursday deadline to submit picks for the rest of the games.

I agree. I definitely vote yes for the Thursday games even though I have been known to miss one or two. (With my percentage, I hardly noticed the difference.) :gomer:

Dvdb
08-28-14, 02:26 PM
We seem to have a consencus for Thursday games.

I'll look into the Boss's suggestion but I think once you set a hard deadline, it's set.

Insomniac
08-29-14, 06:22 PM
I won't play, but you should set the deadline for the start of the Monday game. It will automatically prevent people from picking games in progress. It let's you stay hands off in terms of administering.

Dvdb
08-29-14, 09:21 PM
????

I don't follow you, Insomniac. If I set the deadline for Monday night game start, people would have to remember to lock their picks in two or three times a week. Which wouldn't make it any easier on me or the contestants.

The chief reasons I didn't do Thursday night games was they were minimal, and people could account for late injury reports.

I should probably add, that I really don't have too many administrative duties, just a stray "I forgot, please add....."

It's on my to-do list tomorrow, so I'll play around with it.

Insomniac
08-30-14, 09:02 AM
????

I don't follow you, Insomniac. If I set the deadline for Monday night game start, people would have to remember to lock their picks in two or three times a week. Which wouldn't make it any easier on me or the contestants.

The chief reasons I didn't do Thursday night games was they were minimal, and people could account for late injury reports.

I should probably add, that I really don't have too many administrative duties, just a stray "I forgot, please add....."

It's on my to-do list tomorrow, so I'll play around with it.

This might clarify it better than I can: http://www.poolhost.com/blog/page/Rolling-Deadline-is-Here!.aspx

In summary, say (if I was playing) forgot to make my picks. If you put the deadline far enough out anyone can make/change a pick as long as the game has not started yet.

Dvdb
08-30-14, 11:10 PM
I lied.

There was college football and beer involved today.

It will be set up tomorrow.

We are Notre Dame.

Dvdb
09-01-14, 07:41 PM
Pool is live. Going to try using Insomniac's suggestion.

As I understand it, when you make your Thursday pick, you will be asked to pick for all games for the week, but will be able to change your other picks until 1:00 pm Eastern on Sundays.

"Now, you'll be able to set a custom deadline to any time up to Sunday at 1PM ET regardless of if there is a game earlier in the week. That custom deadline will be the master deadline by which ALL picks must be in. Users can make picks for games that are earlier than your master deadline but before their scheduled kick-offs. Once a game kicks off, it is locked and can no longer be picked (unless you're the admin)."

1. Setting a custom deadline after the kick-off of earlier games means that those earlier games can be picked up until their scheduled kick-off time.

2. The "Make Picks" page still requires users to make picks for all of the required games that your pool rules are set to. If your pool picks from all games each week, then picks must still be chosen for ALL GAMES. This is for insurance... if a player made it to the Make Picks page, they'll enter picks for all games. If they forget to come back and change their picks, at least they'll have picks for all games entered.

3. After the early games kick off, meaning the games that are ealier than your custom deadline, users can still go back and change picks for the remaining unplayed games up until your custom deadline passes.

4. If a player forgets to make picks for an early game, like the Thursday game, the can no longer pick it. If your pool requires picking ALL games each week, then that player will be picking from fewer games than others who got their picks in before the early game kick-offs.

WickerBill
09-01-14, 08:12 PM
Am I missing a link to this fun?

stroker
09-01-14, 09:20 PM
This has nothing to do with the OC pool but I'm posting it for the sake of humor. We set up a completely random pool at work for eight participants-four for the AFC and four for the NFC (drawn at random). Each participant got one team from each of the Divisions in their respective Conference. Here are the average NFL power rankings for each of the eight participant teams from best to worst: 11.25, 13, 13.25, 14.75, 16, 16.75, 19, 29. I'll give you one guess which one I drew.

Buffalo, Tennessee, Oakland and Cleveland.

'gon be a long, long season...

:cry:

Dvdb
09-01-14, 10:34 PM
Poolhost.com

OffCamber NFL 14

Password Zanardi

Direct link??

http://www8.poolhost.com//index.asp?page=poolmain.asp

cameraman
09-01-14, 11:42 PM
Anyone who was in the pool in previous years is still signed up. Same user name and password. You do not have to add the pool just go to mypools and click on OffCamber NFL14.

To jog any memories...

1. nrc
2. Cameraman
3. dando
4. Insomniac
5. knight_of_dulcinea
6. Dvdb
7. Jessguessin
8. NapoleonOfManorFarm
9. WickerBill
10. BGWTF

nrc
09-02-14, 01:24 AM
First!

WickerBill
09-02-14, 07:11 AM
No dice. OC not listed under My Pools, and it wants a Pool ID (not name of pool) to join...

dando
09-02-14, 10:11 AM
No dice. OC not listed under My Pools, and it wants a Pool ID (not name of pool) to join...

I was able to get into the pool by clicking on the pool name under My Pools, not the Join button, which resulted in the same login page you referenced.

TravelGal
09-02-14, 11:49 AM
First!

Don't get used to it. :laugh:

I got in immediately. That's a first. Hope it augers well for the season. Since TravelMom has taken 100% of my time for the preseason, I'm just in it to help keep the game going.

Had to use my pool name and remember my password but then the OffCamber NFL 14 was right there under Pro Football Pick'em. I clicked on it and was in. No need to reference Zanardi. Methinks WB has cleared his cookies more assiduously than I have.

Dvdb
09-02-14, 12:13 PM
NRC,

Pool ID: OC13
Pool Password: Zanardi

WickerBill
09-02-14, 12:34 PM
I am blind. I'm in now.

Dvdb
09-03-14, 04:19 PM
Bump......28 hours to get your pick(s) in

Dvdb
09-04-14, 10:44 PM
Sometime before Sunday, can someone try to change their pick(s) and let me know the result?

I tried to, but I get the administrator page where I can change everyone's picks.

Thanks.

cameraman
09-04-14, 11:17 PM
This week's deadline is 8:30 PM ET, 9/4/2014
The Pick Deadline has passed!

You are TOO late to make/change your picks for this week!

TravelGal
09-07-14, 11:54 PM
Good heavens. What carnage today. I haven't seen so much red (on the pool display) since TravelGuy pulled 2 inches of skin off his shin and bled all over the place. :yuck:

nrc
09-08-14, 09:22 AM
I don't know what I was thinking with my Washington pick. I like Jay Gruden as an offensive coordinator but I don't think he was ready to be a head coach.

cameraman
09-08-14, 11:35 AM
34-6. Really? The whole state of Missouri just needs to be nuked from orbit.:irked:

Dvdb
09-09-14, 09:00 PM
Week 2 picks due Thursday...................

bump

stroker
09-09-14, 09:13 PM
34-6. Really? The whole state of Missouri just needs to be nuked from orbit.:irked:

I'll take that in the spirit intended. :)

Dvdb
09-10-14, 10:19 AM
Yea, but the Cardinals and Royals area combined 30 games over .500. So there's that.....

TravelGal
09-12-14, 03:05 AM
BossEmeritus, I hope you're playing the lottery because you sure have picked some beauts so far this young season! :thumbup:

nrc
09-12-14, 03:14 PM
Yeah, seems like the rest of us may have given the Steelers more credit than they deserved for their offensive performance against the Browns who had a pretty good defense last year.

cameraman
09-12-14, 04:02 PM
I went back and forth I don't know how many times and in the end picked wrong....

WickerBill
09-12-14, 04:14 PM
BossEmeritus, I hope you're playing the lottery because you sure have picked some beauts so far this young season! :thumbup:

Early season toss-up? Home team. This indelible rule has gotten me solidly mid-pack in every league I've ever played in.

WickerBill
09-16-14, 07:18 AM
Not so smart now, am I?

nrc
09-16-14, 09:41 AM
Not so smart now, am I?

You're looking pretty bright from down here. :saywhat:

TravelGal
09-16-14, 01:55 PM
You're looking pretty bright from down here. :saywhat:

Think of how GManFan feels. :(

cameraman
09-16-14, 04:56 PM
Not so smart now, am I?

You're still in the overall lead...

Dvdb
09-17-14, 11:03 AM
B
u
m
p

r
e
m
i
n
d
e
r

TravelGal
09-19-14, 02:20 AM
So I guess Tampa Bay isn't as good as I thought they were. :shakehead: :laugh:

Gnam
09-19-14, 02:50 AM
56-0? That is not football.

dando
09-19-14, 10:47 AM
So I guess Tampa Bay isn't as good as I thought they were. :shakehead: :laugh:

It wasn't just you. I drank the talking heads Kool Aid as well, which I promptly spit out last night. The heads were all picking the Bucs for the playoffs...some as far as the NFC Championship game. Thankfully Auburn/K State was on E$PN last night.

nrc
09-22-14, 10:43 PM
Well, well, well. Looks who had top score this week. :thumbup:

I'm on board with the "Nuke Missouri" plan. :irked:

TravelGal
09-22-14, 11:54 PM
SCOREBOARD!

Thanks NRC.

The reason this is fun is that TravelGuy and I sat glued to the game (and two other baseball games but that's beside the point) to see if I'd pull it out. Without the pool, we might not even have known who was playing.

What makes me laugh is that this is already a repeat of last season when I won 3 weeks and ended up dead last. (I may not be there this week, but give me time. :D )

dando
09-24-14, 01:16 PM
Bump.

TravelGal
09-24-14, 03:38 PM
Geez, not much time to gloat, er recover, between Monday and Thursday, is there?

TravelGal
09-25-14, 02:03 PM
Uh, commish! Cameraman! Six hours.

Dvdb
09-25-14, 04:51 PM
Sent him a dm, TravelGal.

I am away for two weeks so I haven't had a chance to check in at Poolhost.

cameraman
09-25-14, 06:00 PM
Done.

TravelGal
09-25-14, 06:34 PM
Sent him a dm, TravelGal.

I am away for two weeks so I haven't had a chance to check in at Poolhost.

Well ya better! You're the only one out at the moment.

Hmm, that DOES give the rest of us a chance though.........

Dvdb
09-25-14, 08:00 PM
Good thing I thought to check this thread. Could have sworn I did my picks before I left.......

The Commish is in......Good luck, folks.

cameraman
09-26-14, 12:18 PM
45-14 home loss to the Giants. Seriously?

Andrew Longman
09-26-14, 12:51 PM
45-14 home loss to the Giants. Seriously?yeah, the Giants look pretty serious. Seriously smash mouth, that is. :gomer: The last few games have been the most physical I've seen the Giants in memory.

dando
09-26-14, 02:12 PM
45-14 home loss to the Giants. Seriously?

4 INTs. Cousins couldn't figger out which team was his. The skins are a dumpster fire.

cameraman
09-26-14, 04:12 PM
4 INTs. Cousins couldn't figger out which team was his. The skins are a dumpster fire.

As were the Giants a couple of weeks ago:saywhat:

dando
09-26-14, 04:43 PM

They still are. There's nothing good in the NFC East. Even the Iggles have had to comeback from double-digit deficits the first three weeks. And despite the claim of smash mouth football by AL, you don't pass 39 times and run 38 times to get a smash mouth designation. Woody Hayes would not approve. AL still thinks the Wolverines are destined for the college football playoff. :gomer: BTW, nice to see the Ute4s represent last Sat after the weather delay...unlike the TSUN unfaithful. :laugh: It will be interesting to see which underachieving team wins b/w the Niners and Iggles Sunday.

TravelGal
09-26-14, 06:43 PM

They still are. It will be interesting to see which underachieving team wins b/w the Niners and Iggles Sunday.

GManFan is happy for the time being. The rest remains to be seen. I was surprised at the unanimity for NO (except for the boss).

I'm beginning to wonder if the Chargers will have enough players to take the field, at the rate they are going down.

dando
09-26-14, 06:51 PM
GManFan is happy for the time being. The rest remains to be seen. I was surprised at the unanimity for NO (except for the boss).

I'm beginning to wonder if the Chargers will have enough players to take the field, at the rate they are going down.

More a reflection of the lack of love for Big D. The Who Deys are being bitten by the injury bug as well. Good time for a bye ahead of the Pats next Sunday night.

Andrew Longman
09-27-14, 12:28 AM
?..you don't pass 39 times and run 38 times to get a smash mouth designation.It does when it doesn't take long for the D line looks gassed, manhandled and visibly defeated to the point they look like they would really rather not get up off the ground. At that point you can run or pass as you please or need... Two weeks in a row.

But the season is long and every team is actually pretty excellent top to bottom. One injury to the wrong person changes everything. Parity is ours..

Mods move this to the other thread if you want to keep this thread just for the pool.

cameraman
09-27-14, 12:47 AM
Mods move this to the other thread if you want to keep this thread just for the pool.

Nope.

dando
09-27-14, 02:13 PM
It does when it doesn't take long for the D line looks gassed, manhandled and visibly defeated to the point they look like they would really rather not get up off the ground. At that point you can run or pass as you please or need... Two weeks in a row.

But the season is long and every team is actually pretty excellent top to bottom. One injury to the wrong person changes everything. Parity is ours..

More a reflection of the ToP disparity...13 minutes is huge. I'm not a buyer yet, but perhaps the GMen O is starting to gel. The skins did put 34 up on the Iggles the week before, but the Iggles have struggled against the likes of Jax. :confused: We'll have a better idea if the Iggles are worthy of the pre-season hype once they fly across country to play the 9ers (who are an enigma themselves). All I know is many of the pundits, like Peter King, have the Who Deys #2 overall behind the Hags (despite some key injuries). Kiss of Death? :\

WickerBill
09-27-14, 03:48 PM
Peter King truly is the kiss of death. Among his greatest hits, he was Pro-Jamarcus Russell, thought the Colts trade for Richardson was a steal (for the Colts!), and more than once in his Houston tenure, said that Matt Schaub was among the best QBs in the NFL. Oh, and he's insanely pro-Goodell.

I wish he would continually bash the Broncos.

dando
09-27-14, 05:13 PM
Peter King truly is the kiss of death. Among his greatest hits, he was Pro-Jamarcus Russell, thought the Colts trade for Richardson was a steal (for the Colts!), and more than once in his Houston tenure, said that Matt Schaub was among the best QBs in the NFL. Oh, and he's insanely pro-Goodell.

I wish he would continually bash the Broncos.

Russell was drafted by the Raiderz, TRich is, well, the next Ki Jana Carter, and Schaub is currently a Raider...easy to 'splain, yo. :gomer: And Goodell is perfect. Jerry sez so. :gomer: :gomer: ;)

Insomniac
09-27-14, 09:58 PM
More a reflection of the lack of love for Big D. The Who Deys are being bitten by the injury bug as well. Good time for a bye ahead of the Pats next Sunday night.

The Pats have no offense right now. And throw a dart at the board and there's an article about it being their fault.

Andrew Longman
09-28-14, 11:03 AM
More a reflection of the ToP disparity...13 minutes is huge.I am speaking to how that ToP happened. The O line has just beat people up. What was a real weakness last year is looking more classic Gman

But as I said, it is a long season.

dando
09-28-14, 04:36 PM
Well, I missed the Stealers/Bucs pick, but that was sure tasty to watch. :gomer: Bucs punked by the Dirty Birds, who were punked by the Who Deys. :laugh:

Dvdb
09-28-14, 05:49 PM
Tough day for Pittsburgh sports fans.

WickerBill
09-28-14, 10:22 PM
Changed my Dallas / NO pick on Thursday morning. Oops. Always trust your first instinct I suppose.

dando
09-29-14, 12:00 PM
Changed my Dallas / NO pick on Thursday morning. Oops. Always trust your first instinct I suppose.

Couldn't have paid me to pick Big D last night. Go figger. I know the Aints have fleas, but seriously?!? That punt fake was just laughable. Then factor in Minnie and the Bucs... :saywhat: Plus, the 9ers scored in the 2nd half while the Iggles were shutout. :confused:

TravelGal
09-29-14, 12:10 PM

Welllll, not really. I made my picks, looked at them, and thought "these three will probably go the other way." ALLLLLL three of them did. I should have made the changes. Sigh. The first shall be last and the last first. At least I know the first part of that is true. :irked:

cameraman
09-29-14, 12:48 PM
Well Saint Louis didn't play so I couldn't get that one wrong this week.:saywhat:

dando
10-01-14, 11:03 AM
Picks in. May the :confused: continue. :gomer: :saywhat:

Dvdb
10-01-14, 01:13 PM
B
U
M
p

Picks, please.

Dvdb
10-08-14, 10:03 AM
Weekly bump.

Consider your choices...

dando
10-09-14, 11:11 AM
Boss and Commish are AWOL. Bump.

Dvdb
10-09-14, 12:26 PM
Commish is ready to atone for last weekends failure.

Dvdb
10-15-14, 04:04 PM
reminder

nrc
10-17-14, 03:43 AM
Rats. I was going to put my picks in this evening but I forgot that we were bowling tonight. :/

Weren't we going to do enable picks after Thursday? It doesn't seem to be an option - pick deadline past it says. :/

For the record, there are the rest of my picks:

BAL
WAS
SEA
CLE
CIN
BUF
CHI
DET
GB
SAN
AZ
DAL
DEN
PIT

Dvdb
10-17-14, 12:03 PM
Need your points, Boss.

And Cameraman, let me know your picks for Sunday/Monday and I will commish for you.

nrc
10-17-14, 06:41 PM
Need your points, Boss.

And Cameraman, let me know your picks for Sunday/Monday and I will commish for you.

42 sounds good.

Dvdb
10-17-14, 08:26 PM
Damn, I put you down for 1 as a placeholder.....................

cameraman
10-18-14, 12:37 AM
Bloody hell. The last couple days have been chaos.

colts
skins
bears
browns
mariners
Green Bay
Ravens
Bills
Saints
Chargers
Dallas
Cardinals
Denver
Steelers

Dvdb
10-18-14, 11:18 AM
and your points, c-man?

cameraman
10-18-14, 12:57 PM
:rolleyes:

Dvdb
10-18-14, 03:06 PM
and, done.

WickerBill
10-22-14, 09:06 AM
Wednesday already. Don't forget.

dando
10-23-14, 12:29 PM
Bump. nrc is slacking again. :gomer:

Dvdb
10-23-14, 12:36 PM
Yep, just noticed that.......He has a few hours. Hell, TravelGal got her picks in from South Africa. ;)

dando
10-23-14, 01:02 PM
Yep, just noticed that.......He has a few hours. Hell, TravelGal got her picks in from South Africa. ;)

Me thinks he's been curled up in a fetal position after watching the Bengals/Colts debacle Sunday. :gomer: I still can't believe I wasted three hours watching that train wreck. :shakehead:

nrc
10-23-14, 01:51 PM
Me thinks he's been curled up in a fetal position after watching the Bengals/Colts debacle Sunday. :gomer: I still can't believe I wasted three hours watching that train wreck. :shakehead:

I hate it when I carefully consider all my picks and then fail on the submission part. Really not sure what happened there. :/

Dvdb
10-29-14, 12:22 PM
P - I - C - K -S

Please.

cameraman
10-30-14, 11:23 AM
Everyone is in but the commissioner...

Dvdb
10-30-14, 01:09 PM
working on it..............

WickerBill
10-30-14, 02:17 PM
working on it..............

You should take the week off! You deserve it. :D

Dvdb
10-30-14, 08:03 PM
Now what kind of message would that send, the commish taking a week off?

And you wouldn't want to win that way.

dando
11-05-14, 12:06 PM
Get your picks in before the epic showdown known as The Battle of oHIo. It will only set back pro football as we know it a decade. :gomer:

WickerBill
11-06-14, 08:38 AM
There are some TOUGH picks this week.

Dvdb
11-06-14, 02:41 PM
Probably why NRC is last one into the pool this week.

dando
11-06-14, 03:10 PM
Probably why NRC is last one into the pool this week.

More than likely busy face/body painting for tonight's game in PBS. Greg Little says it's on. :saywhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2e7VkHwYbI

:gomer: :D

nrc
11-06-14, 04:44 PM
I found out how I keep almost missing the deadline. You can't leave the picks window open for a day contemplating your picks and then press submit. It goes back to the main screen and you think you have selected but really your session timed out. :irked: