PDA

View Full Version : Washer/dryer advice

Al Czervik
08-18-14, 07:44 PM
Looking at replacing my washer and dryer. Washer came with house bought in '95, gas dryer a little newer, but not much. Suggestions?

WickerBill
08-18-14, 08:46 PM
Unless they're damaging your clothes, I'd suggest fixing them. They are built better than today's models, at least typically.

G.
08-19-14, 12:10 AM
For what it's worth (not much, seriously), I hear nothing but badness for the new, stylish, front-loader magic machines.

What's wrong with what you've got?

chop456
08-19-14, 01:39 AM
We went with old school, all mechanical Amana stuff. Washer is 12(?) years old and not one problem. Dryer is a year old and needed a motor mount tightened. In that time, the SIL has replaced her stuff twice to the tune of $5k. We spent about $700 for both.

Al Czervik
08-19-14, 08:09 AM
For what it's worth (not much, seriously), I hear nothing but badness for the new, stylish, front-loader magic machines.

What's wrong with what you've got?

Nothing wrong with the current units, just worried about the age. I am looking at doing some remodel work in the basement, figured it would be a good time to look at replacements.

Andrew Longman
08-19-14, 08:48 AM
Washers are different than dryers because they are more complicated but I echo to stick with older and/or simpler for as long as you can.

The front loaders, by their very design put stress on seals and tend to leak. They also don't drain completely and need regular purging to keep them from smelling horrible.

But then my 12 year old Maytag started leaking at the main seal after about 7 years. the repair guy said he never used to replace them (and I never did on my 40+ year old Maytag I had prior) until Maytag got bought and the product was deliberately designed to fail in 7-10 years to prompt replacement sales.

KLang
08-19-14, 08:48 AM
I went with Samsung for the Colorado Springs house due to their reliability ratings in Consumer Reports. The washer is a front loader which is supposed to be more energy and water efficient. They are both WiFi enabled but I haven't found any thing useful with that feature. :rolleyes:

SteveH
08-19-14, 09:06 AM
They are both WiFi enabled but I haven't found any thing useful with that feature. :rolleyes:

Allows them to be hacked by the Chinese laundry mob.

chop456
08-19-14, 09:11 AM
Allows them to be hacked by the Chinese laundry mob.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-US-VUiqSKGE/UitOa0W9saI/AAAAAAAApoI/Is61iume5VE/s1600/Calgon-ad-1970s-AncientChineseSecret-YouTube-framegrab.JPG

SteveH
08-19-14, 10:21 AM
:laugh:

TravelGal
08-19-14, 06:19 PM
I went with Samsung for the Colorado Springs house due to their reliability ratings in Consumer Reports. The washer is a front loader which is supposed to be more energy and water efficient. They are both WiFi enabled but I haven't found any thing useful with that feature. :rolleyes:

Aside from the obvious useful entree into the Chinese mob, do you find the front loader is actually as good? Most of the people and repair folk I have spoken to don't like them all. Although it may be a factor of owners using too much of the wrong kind of detergent.

KLang
08-19-14, 06:48 PM
Aside from the obvious useful entree into the Chinese mob, do you find the front loader is actually as good? Most of the people and repair folk I have spoken to don't like them all. Although it may be a factor of owners using too much of the wrong kind of detergent.

I've had no problems so far. I use the same Tide he detergent I've been using for years in a top-loader. I don't usually get my clothes really dirty so I'm not taxing the machine much. I've read complaints of smells and suggestions of leaving the door open but I don't leave it open and have no mildew/mold etc. problems so far. It did prompt me to run a cleaning cycle a few weeks ago. The cleaning cycle only uses hot water. Only issue is remembering to look into the top of the drum as some things are stuck there after the spin cycle. For me I was interested in the water and energy savings.