PDA

View Full Version : IMSA: The future

opinionated ow
08-16-14, 05:19 AM
IMSA released this (http://www.dailysportscar.com/2014/08/08/imsa-announce-future-class-structure-gtd-moves-to-full-gt3-from-2016.html) detailing their future plans. Essentially:

-Prototype stays the same. New regs for 2017 globally.
-GTLM stays exactly the same
-GTD will become exclusively GT3 from 2016 which makes a lot of sense when you think about how many of those cars are kicking around the world.
-Prototype Challenge will stay the same through 2016 but might be opened up to the brand new LMP3 regulations. There are currently 6 LMP3 chassis under development to go with the spec drivetrain (either a chev or nissan v8).

Sounds sensible.

mapguy
08-16-14, 07:02 AM
If they are following the global 2017 regs does that mean that the Daytona "Prototypes" are gonzo?

opinionated ow
08-16-14, 10:45 AM
If they are following the global 2017 regs does that mean that the Daytona "Prototypes" are gonzo?

hopefully! i get the impression from that article that more flexibility will exist so that things similar to prototurtles might be possible.

RTKar
08-20-14, 07:33 AM

Hope so. I need something to satisfy my racing fix.

Andrew Longman
08-20-14, 08:32 AM
Hope so. I need something to satisfy my racing fix.Continental series is a good weekend. And I did the Tudor thing at MoSport and it was a great weekend of racing at a great track. I highly recommend it.

From what I understand though (from a good article in the most recent Racer) getting the regs harmonized, especially for GT, is far from settled.