PDA

View Full Version : Flying with an accoustic guitar

cameraman
08-15-14, 04:07 PM
So it looks to me that if you are flying on Southwest it you should probably just check your guitar and be done. My question is the guitar case. It is a 30 year old Guild hard case so it is pretty robust. Do you just trust in the latches or do you use some additional duct tape? Are they still opening everything up looking for nuclear warheads which would be an issue with using tape?

Andrew Longman
08-15-14, 05:03 PM
Yes they are still opening stuff. I flew maybe 60-80 flights last year and about 6-8 times there was a friendly note from the TSA in my bag saying they had been there.

As for counting on enough overhead bin space to stow a guitar? I wouldn't count on it but I also have images in my head of the gorilla baggage handler in the American Tourister commercial. Checking a valuable guitar makes me nervous.

KLang
08-15-14, 09:25 PM
Couldn't you check it at the gate? That would minimize handling.

I've been flying small United Express jets between Houston and Colorado Springs a lot. They have little overhead space so damn near everyone checks the bag as we board. Saves the baggage fee as well.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

TravelGal
08-16-14, 11:41 AM
Couldn't you check it at the gate? That would minimize handling.

I've been flying small United Express jets between Houston and Colorado Springs a lot. They have little overhead space so damn near everyone checks the bag as we board. Saves the baggage fee as well.

Agreed. If you pay the extra $12.50 for the precheck-in, you'll arrive early enough to give a big, sad dog look at the attendant and ask if you can stow your VALUABLE guitar overhead or if you *have* to gate check it. Edit: at that point there is still plenty of space so he/she is more likely to agree.

Don't give it to the gorillas at the counter that ram it through the TSA facilities. Well, you take it to the TSA yourself and watch THEM ram it through but the effect is that same.

For what it's worth, one of my best friends is a professional classical guitarist. He faces this problem all the time. He says that, as an airline, Delta is the most sympathetic. Not that it's necessarily a choice for you right now but it might be good to know this for future reference.

Insomniac
08-16-14, 11:49 AM
I agree with KLang, if you have to check it, try and gate check it so you hand it to them on the jet bridge before you board and get it back when you deplane. Laws and SWA guidelines contradict on what you can/can't do.

FAA: http://flyingwithguitars.com/2013/08/faa-music-instruments/
SWA: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_ 10_scroll
TSA: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/musical-instruments

cameraman
08-17-14, 03:07 PM
So a 10-year old carrying a guitar case nearly as tall as himself gets early boarding on the SWA flight so there is room in the overhead bin for the guitar. I haven't flown in a while, I didn't realize SWA had internet access during the flight. Texting with my son via Clash of Clans...

TravelGal
08-18-14, 11:23 AM
Not all WN flights have wifi but many do. You didn't say it would be a minor with the guitar. That definitely helped. As several said, early boarding is the key when there is still room in the overhead bins.