PDA

View Full Version : storm damage question

G.
08-13-14, 02:53 PM
Back in April, we got hit with a HARD hailstorm. I couldn't see any roof damage, and we've not gotten any leaks that I can see. A few dings in the siding is all (I just caulked them).

Just about everyone in the neighborhood seems to be cycling through contractors, getting new roof shingles. We finally decided, why not us?

Roof is 12 years old.

We've been told that everyone's ins. rates are going to go up, regardless if they make a claim or not, since the area got hit hard, and it is considered a "local catastrophe area".
Sounds suspicious to me...

We ignored all of the storm-chasers that came by, but yesterday we let a guy go up to check. Of course he found damage.

Important side-note: in the last year or so we've gotten a leak that I've been chasing with repair tar. This has been there since before the storm, but the storm may have worsened it. (wink-wink) This is going to take new sheeting to repair, IMO. Not much, just a sheet or two.

Anyway, the guys that came by to look wanted me to sign something and call the 800 claims number on the spot. Of course I said "No. I need to ask the smart peeps on offcamber first." ;)

The document basically says that there is "no obligation" but if you read further, it says "No obligation unless the ins. co. approves the new roof". Not completely underhanded, but he's asking me to sign over to him the insurance-claim work. I feel pretty good about the company, but I have no idea what restrictions my ins company may have, e.g., do you HAVE to use their specified contractors?

Company is local, in business for 15 years under this name, A+ from BBB, Rated by Owens-Corning as Platinum Preferred. They will ONLY do complete tear-off and re-shingle, so if the ins. co. says that they'll pay $xx for repair, this company won't do it (they won't warrantee repairs, only re-shingle. I'm ok with this.).

They want me to make a claim, then they will meet with the ins. co. inspector when he looks at it. They want to convince the inspector that a roof is needed. The roofer is stating that I need a new roof and gutters, which is probably a bargaining chip with the inspector. E.G. "OK, we'll skip the gutters if you write-off the roof".

Roofer is suggesting that I call the claims number, and not my agent, since the agent is more likely to steer me away from a claim. He very well might, in my experience. I've never made a claim, auto or home, in 20-some years with the ins. company. (AmericanFamily)

Any experience with storm claims?
What should I watch out for?
Should I proceed? (I think we should, but if there's a reason for a wave-off, I'm all ears.)
Call agent, or claims number?
Let roofer drive the process?

Thanks.

Don Quixote
08-13-14, 03:25 PM
My neighbor had what I would consider very minor damage from hail and filed a claim. I could find nothing on my roof from the same storm. He reported with glee that he would be getting a new roof for free. Then another hail storm came through and this time his roof was visibly damaged. Again, not a scratch on my roof. I think his new roof was made with substandard materials. He put in another claim, they approved it, then dropped him like a rock. He couldn't get new insurance from anybody that wasn't in some category relating to high risk, at a very high premium. I think it is insurance for troublemakers. He told me later that he has bought both roofs several times over by paying the higher premiums, and he wishes he had done both replacements out of his own pocket. This all happened about 8 years ago. I think maybe homeowners insurance should be considered as catastrophe insurance, and be careful making claims on minor damage.

Insomniac
08-13-14, 05:57 PM
Doesn't sound all that reputable if they want to replace your roof and need to convince the insurance adjuster. I know the insurance company's goal is to not pay money, but a disreputable contractor only cares about maximizing money.

I may've been lucky, but a few years ago, our neighbor's trampoline hit the top of our roof during a storm. It sheared off a couple vents, put a hole in the roof, damaged some shingles. The neighbor's insurance company sent someone out. Looked it all over, decided the roof could be repaired and also said to have our entire living room/kitchen ceiling redone. Water had leaked in and a line ran from the top of the vaulted ceiling to the bottom. Now mind you, it was a single, 1" thick line, but he felt since the ceiling is popcorned, just replacing that area would look obvious, so replace the whole ceiling if it is adjacent so it all looked good. As far as fixing the roof, when the contractor started working, they found some other damage. It was pretty painless to get that covered as well.

So maybe have the insurance company take a look first and assess it, or have the contractor convince you that you really need a new roof. You may have a great one now with some minor problems and the new one may not be as good.

That's my $0.02.

chop456
08-14-14, 02:41 AM
So maybe have the insurance company take a look first and assess it

This.

Tifosi24
08-14-14, 08:06 AM
I use to ride the bus with insurance adjusters (St Paul/Travelers HQ on the bus route), if you have an adjuster come out you generally have to file a claim. That puts you at some risk, no pun intended, if you have to make another, obvious, claim within a year. As Don said, you could get yourself in trouble if another claim happens, although this is state dependent because the adjusters said in MN a person can make unlimited storm claims and not be dropped.

Storms are hit and miss, my neighbor got a new roof last year and we had someone look at ours, after a later hailstorm, and the contractor said it looked great. This contractor told me to look at the metal vents, if you can't see dents, don't bother trying a claim.

Elmo T
08-14-14, 09:23 AM
From my experience - 99% fire damage claims - the insurance companies do right by their customers in most cases. There are sometimes small issues that arise over code update issues or specific items, but it is either smoke damaged, burned, water logged, or OK.

I pretty much despise public adjusters. They are ambulance chasers who arrive before I leave the scene. I suppose they have some purpose in life - just like roaches, rats, and lawyers.

I think a call to your insurance company is the place to start. Even if you use an adjustor or contractor, your insurance company will still have to come look. And I guarantee they will look really really hard if they think the claim is being padded.

TravelGal
08-14-14, 11:26 AM
You may have a great one now with some minor problems and the new one may not be as good.

That's my $0.02.

Agreed. Caveat emptor.

cameraman
08-14-14, 12:07 PM
I would call your agent. If the roof really is damaged then the insurance company will take care of it. I don't trust contractors as far as I can throw one.

nrc
08-14-14, 02:00 PM
We knew that our roof was due to be replaced just from age so last summer I started getting some estimates from top rated contractors on Angie's list. One of the places seemed to be storm chasers because most of their top reviews were people who just seemed happy to get a new roof for "free".

As soon as they showed up for the estimate the guy asked who my insurance company was. When I told him Allstate he seemed to lose interest. Evidently Allstate has higher standards for when they'll agree to a full roof replacement versus a repair. He did a cursory inspection and claimed some storm damage but didn't feel like it would be enough to get a replacement. He didn't identify any of the problem areas that I was concerned about (problems with flashing and drainage). I asked him for a written estimate since I planned to get the roof replaced anyway. He said that he would send one but I never heard from him again.

The second place had good reviews mainly around their quality and service. This guy identified all my problem areas and then some. He even found an actual hole in the roof that the other estimator didn't find or didn't mention. It looked like a tree branch must have poked a hold in the decking at a seam. No idea when it happened or where the water was going but we were fortunate to find it before there was any interior damage. The guy left me a written estimate and told me that while I could get an insurance adjuster to look at it, a roof that age wasn't going to get a substantial settlement.

It started to rain and 15 minutes later the guy called back and said, "Our roofing crews can't work since it's raining. If you want I'll send someone over to put a temporary patch on that hole free of charge." I asked if I had to agree to the job and he said, "No I just want to earn your business." Done and done.

Long story short (too late now, I guess) I agree with the others. Unless you hate your insurance company with an red hot passion, have them come look at he roof themselves. Then find a roofing company based on reviews of their work, not whether they're willing to lift a few shingles and call it wind damage.

Andrew Longman
08-14-14, 03:02 PM
At risk of derailing the thread, why does this discussion remind me all too well of when I go to the dentist or doctor and there is a round about conversation about who my insurer is and what they will allow and what a procedure needs to be called to be covered?

The economics never seem to be honestly about what I actually need whether it is a teeth cleaning or a roof repair.

Jus' sayin' :gomer:

Insomniac
08-14-14, 05:14 PM
At risk of derailing the thread, why does this discussion remind me all too well of when I go to the dentist or doctor and there is a round about conversation about who my insurer is and what they will allow and what a procedure needs to be called to be covered?

The economics never seem to be honestly about what I actually need whether it is a teeth cleaning or a roof repair.

Jus' sayin' :gomer:

I've had to deal with insurance a lot and some of it is legit, them trying to help you. An example for a dentist is getting a filling. Some insurance plans will completely deny a porcelain filling leaving you responsible for all of it. Some dentists will want to check this and either warn you or they will submit a claim code for a metal filling that is covered and may or may not charge you the difference. (As an aside, other insurances will recognize it's the same procedure as a metal filling and just pay out at that level leaving you, this is called an "alternate benefit".) On the other side, a doctor's office may be looking at it to decide if you should get a CT or MRI. Could debate whether this is good or bad. Are they deciding which one to get because either will give them the information they need so they're looking out for your cost, or are they trying to extract the most from your insurance?