PDA

View Full Version : Paul George injury

WickerBill
08-02-14, 11:07 AM
1. it's gruesome
2. it's really bad for my Pacers
3. it's likely really bad for the future of NBA players in the Olympics -- why take that risk?

Insomniac
08-02-14, 12:39 PM
1. it's gruesome
2. it's really bad for my Pacers
3. it's likely really bad for the future of NBA players in the Olympics -- why take that risk?

On #3, to represent your Country and win. They are competitors and you can get injured at nearly any time.

WickerBill
08-02-14, 01:18 PM
Well, I agree with that, but I'm a 43 year old white dude with one good knee and zero good feet. I'm imagining a 25 year old making millions will struggle with the idea of putting that on the line for the sake of patriotism. Hope I'm wrong; the Olympics have moved on and going back to college players isn't much of an option.

Insomniac
08-02-14, 05:30 PM
I think the risk is so low it won't be a deterrent. Contracts are guaranteed. How many injuries are really career ending at this point? Guys play in the summer, their contracts don't even forbid it, so even the owner's don't fear it.

opinionated ow
08-03-14, 02:12 AM
Well, I agree with that, but I'm a 43 year old white dude with one good knee and zero good feet. I'm imagining a 25 year old making millions will struggle with the idea of putting that on the line for the sake of patriotism. Hope I'm wrong; the Olympics have moved on and going back to college players isn't much of an option.

Athletes are a pretty sentimental bunch thankfully. The allure of a gold medal and a world championship also stretch across sports. The level of interest from the world's best in golf for their Rio tournament took me by surprise. It seems that every one of them wants it and badly.

In reality representing your country, the hopes and dreams of millions, is a true honour and it means that your governing body believes you to be one of the top athletes in your nation. That's a special feeling.