PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2014

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Gnam
07-28-14, 07:19 PM
If you build it, they will come....to Santa Clara.

The 49ers' new stadium is open for bidness. Tours available for $25.
Now you can weep on the same field as your beloved teams. http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/7/9/5884475/levis-stadium-tours-prices-hours-49ers
http://s30.postimg.org/nbhtmfpw1/levis_stadium1458_1200xx4256_2394_0_219.jpg

Also, Frank Gore's backup, Kendall Hunter, tore up his knee and is out for the season.
That ain't good. :(

Tifosi24
07-28-14, 09:42 PM
That doesn't look like a very big stadium. What is the capacity?

Dvdb
07-28-14, 10:22 PM
hmm.....Forty-whiners have a new stadium

cameraman
07-29-14, 01:10 AM
$25 for a tour of a football stadium? Greedy pretentious asshats. :flaming:

cameraman
07-29-14, 01:11 AM
That doesn't look like a very big stadium. What is the capacity?

Gnam
07-29-14, 02:25 AM
They put it right in the middle of Silicon Valley. They're going after that nerd dollar, son.
From what I hear the old die-hard season ticket holders have been priced out.

Instead of the wine and cheese fans, now we have iFans.

TKGAngel
07-29-14, 08:00 AM

Is the $25 at least going to charity or to line the coffers of the team?

The first round of bids for the Bills is due today. Leading contenders include Tom Golisano, Donald Trump, Maple Laff Sports and Entertainment/Jon Bon Jovi (this group that wants to move the team to Toronto) and Terry Pegula. I really hope Pegula comes out on top with this one. Golisano was a trainwreck with the Sabres, so I'd hate to see what he'd do to the Bills.

dando
07-29-14, 10:47 AM
Is the $25 at least going to charity or to line the coffers of the team?

Team. They do the same @ many major league parks...Fenway, NYY Stadium, Dodgers Stadium, etc.

dando
07-30-14, 01:06 PM
The first round of bids for the Bills is due today. Leading contenders include Tom Golisano, Donald Trump, Maple Laff Sports and Entertainment/Jon Bon Jovi (this group that wants to move the team to Toronto) and Terry Pegula. I really hope Pegula comes out on top with this one. Golisano was a trainwreck with the Sabres, so I'd hate to see what he'd do to the Bills.

Pegula has top bid @ over $1B. Golisano did not bid.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11285661/bids-buffalo-bills-submitted-three-groups

Gnam
07-30-14, 04:54 PM
San Antonio Raiders?

Raiders' Mark Davis met with San Antonio city officials

Davis reportedly told city leadership that he prefers a "small, intimate" stadium over a "Jerry Jones-type facility," one that would allow him to place in front of the building "a statue of his father," late Raiders owner Al Davis.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000371203/article/raiders-mark-davis-met-with-san-antonio-city-officials

:laugh:

Gnam
08-07-14, 05:54 PM
Thanksgiving night the 49ers play Seattle at Levi Stadium.
The following week they play the Raiders in Oakland.
The week after that they play Seattle again in Seattle.

Seattle.
at Oakland.
at Seattle.

That is the definition of **** sandwich.

cameraman
08-11-14, 01:13 PM
When is the NFL going to stop this abuse?

Johnny Manziel Forced To Wear Cleveland Browns Jersey In Cruel Rookie Hazing Incident (http://www.theonion.com/articles/johnny-manziel-forced-to-wear-cleveland-browns-jer,36660/)

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/26/26996/original/700.hq.jpg?0090

CLEVELAND—In what many claim is further evidence pointing to the NFL’s growing problem with its locker-room culture, sources confirmed Monday that former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel was forced to wear a Cleveland Browns jersey as part of a particularly cruel form of rookie hazing. “The recent incident, in which a rookie was subjected to an extreme form of public humiliation, is unacceptable and goes against the values we stand for as an organization,” read an official team statement, responding to allegations that the first-year quarterback was made to wear the utterly demeaning outfit for several consecutive hours in full view of teammates, media members, and spectators....

Don Quixote
08-11-14, 01:34 PM
Now that is funny.

nrc
08-11-14, 03:34 PM
It's the old puke n score play.

https://vine.co/v/MVhpXPJtpE7

Gnam
08-18-14, 01:07 PM
The 49ers' backup QBs are horrible. Four turnovers, almost no yards, zero points. :yuck:

Don Quixote
08-18-14, 02:38 PM
The 49ers' backup QBs are horrible. Four turnovers, almost no yards, zero points. :yuck:Donkey fans are beating their chests today because they won that preseason game.

WickerBill
08-18-14, 03:13 PM
Donkey fans are beating their chests today because they won that preseason game.

No I'm not

Gnam
08-19-14, 02:20 AM
It was a rough outing, but the 49ers won't lose every game in the new stadium. During Sinday's game they mentioned that the new stadium will host an outdoor NHL game in February between the Sharks and the Kings. There's no way the Niners can lose that one.

;)

Gnam
08-20-14, 12:15 AM
New stadium too hot.

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_26360587/49ers-fans-complain-unbearable-heat-at-levis-stadium

Maybe they can import some fog from San Francisco. :shakehead:

Gnam
09-03-14, 06:42 PM
49ers DE Ray McDonald was arrested on Sunday for domestic violence.

At a press conference this afternoon, after being repeatedly asked if McDonald would play on Sunday or be suspended, head coach Jim Harbaugh responded:

-HARBAUGH: We can have an informal poll right now. Raise your hand if you are not in favor of due process.

(Pauses, looks around, nobody raises their hand.)

Not one hand.

-Q: Define due process.

-HARBAUGH: It's in the Constitution. I've taken as many questions on this as I'm going to take. It's in the Constitution. Fifth Amendment.

-Q: You're not putting him in jail. The Constitution is about putting somebody in jail, not whether he plays football or not.

-HARBAUGH: Man or a woman is not to be punished before due process occurs.

I've taken as many questions as I'm going to take on that subject.

http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami/ci_26460578/kawakami-heated-give-and-take-49ers-jim-harbaugh

:laugh: bunch of constitutional scholars up in that locker room.

Dvdb
09-03-14, 07:00 PM
May have a shiny new stadium, but there are a lot of cracks in the 49ers organization.

Gnam
09-04-14, 04:38 PM
Starting the NFL season on a Thursday is just wrong. :yuck:

Packers 28, Shehawks 23

TravelGal
09-05-14, 12:10 AM
Starting the NFL season on a Thursday is just wrong. :yuck:

Packers 28, Shehawks 23

I wish you'd been playing. I wouldn't be on the bottom of the pool :(

Gnam
09-05-14, 02:38 AM
:laugh:

Oh! How I look forward to Seattle's inevitable decline.

Gnam
09-07-14, 07:47 PM
The stands at the Cowboy/49er game were packed with 49er fans. :saywhat:
I had no idea there were so many 49er fans deep in the heart of Texas.

September 7, 2014

Dallas Cowboys
AT&T Stadium
Arlington, TX

RE: All Your Base

Is belong to us.

Sincerely,

The San Francisco 49ers

PS: those refs sucked. Good call by Harbaugh to stop passing the ball thereby taking the refs out of the game.

dando
09-08-14, 02:49 PM
Ray Rice done with Ravens. Justice served, but the police need to 'splain why he wasn't if they viewed the video from inside the elevator. :saywhat:

WickerBill
09-08-14, 04:32 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Pkl_ewH4--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/fkcl8g7uvlgacuftjhh8.gif

Gnam
09-08-14, 04:40 PM
I thought they were going to eject Antonio Brown for that kick. nope. :rolleyes:

Gnam
09-08-14, 05:15 PM
Ray Rice done with Ravens. Justice served, but the police need to 'splain why he wasn't if they viewed the video from inside the elevator. :saywhat:
The 49ers released third string running back LaMichael James today "at his request".

conspiracy theory: James will sign with the Ravens in a "trade" orchestrated by the brothers Harbaugh.

Andrew Longman
09-08-14, 05:41 PM
I thought they were going to eject Antonio Brown for that kick. nope. :rolleyes:
I thought it was totally legal. The punter needs to learn how to tackle.

And am a former punter/kicker. And not particularly a Browns hater/Steelers fan.

Andrew Longman
09-08-14, 06:11 PM

Meh. Assault domestic or otherwise can't be tolerated by the league. They are going to do what they need to do and shouldn't have needed this video to act this harshly (how'd they think she got knocked out? If anything this showed she moved on him... As she said she did).

But the cops arrested them both initially then charged Ray and agreed to his plea with her blessings. That is the right outcome as well with or without the video.

Sadly Rice has become the poster child for domestic assault and not the countless asshats who rape, throw girl friends down stairs, etc. and get away with it to earn millions of dollars.

I've known of Rice since his high school days and he has always been a hard working stand up guy admired by his teammates and coaches and devoted to the mom who raised him.http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8902984/super-bowl-xlvii-new-rochelle-janet-rice-mother-baltimore-ravens-star-ray-rice-inspiring-son-super-journey

Even through this whole thing he stood up, said he was wrong, and hasn't fought any of the charges or punishments. He didn't lawyer up or make non-apology apologies like "mistakes were made". If anything I think it is possible that the way he has conducted himself other than this may be why he only got two games originally.

I hope the best for him and his wife but he is going to have to live with this. But as a benchmark Warren Moon and his wife hit a similar sad bump and got passed it together without the hoopla this has stirred up - mostly because there was no video IMO.

Tifosi24
09-08-14, 09:33 PM
Maybe he will get his life back on track and they will live "happily ever after" but he got off light. No man should knock out an unarmed woman, drag her around like a caveman, and not go to prison, especially if it is all caught on tape. I don't care if it is your first offense and you love your mom. I love my mom too, but if I knock my wife out, and it's caught on camera, I will be convicted of felony battery and spending time in the State Pen. I wouldn't say he has been upfront the whole time, if that were the case he would have admitted what he truly did and not have eluded to what happened in a news conference and then get all tongue tied. At the end of the day, his behavior was abhorrent, but the response from the Ravens, the NFL, and local prosectors was worse in my opinion.

Meh. Assault domestic or otherwise can't be tolerated by the league. They are going to do what they need to do and shouldn't have needed this video to act this harshly (how'd they think she got knocked out? If anything this showed she moved on him... As she said she did).

But the cops arrested them both initially then charged Ray and agreed to his plea with her blessings. That is the right outcome as well with or without the video.

Sadly Rice has become the poster child for domestic assault and not the countless asshats who rape, throw girl friends down stairs, etc. and get away with it to earn millions of dollars.

I've known of Rice since his high school days and he has always been a hard working stand up guy admired by his teammates and coaches and devoted to the mom who raised him.http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8902984/super-bowl-xlvii-new-rochelle-janet-rice-mother-baltimore-ravens-star-ray-rice-inspiring-son-super-journey

Even through this whole thing he stood up, said he was wrong, and hasn't fought any of the charges or punishments. He didn't lawyer up or make non-apology apologies like "mistakes were made". If anything I think it is possible that the way he has conducted himself other than this may be why he only got two games originally.

I hope the best for him and his wife but he is going to have to live with this. But as a benchmark Warren Moon and his wife hit a similar sad bump and got passed it together without the hoopla this has stirred up - mostly because there was no video IMO.

Andrew Longman
09-08-14, 11:37 PM
The fact that the act was on tape has nothing to do with the crime or it's severity. He knocked her out. That was never in question. The first tape showed that. Rice never denied it. The cops arrested and later charged him. They didn't lie to the cops about what happened. The cops investigated and a judge allowed him to apply and was accepted into a first time offender program with counseling and monitoring. Similar programs are used by countless people in every state all the time for whom prison doesn't seem appropriate and for those who are not likely to be repeat offenders. Sorry, but punching your partner doesn't automatically land you in prison any more than punching someone at an Eagles game. It is up to a judge.

Domestic violence is a horrible thing and it happens too much. And it leads too often to death. I won't make apologies for Rice any more than he has made excuses. The violence is ugly, as shown by how the country has recoiled at the latest video. But that's how it looks even if it happens all the time and don't often witness it. Except for kids who too often witness in their home and are damaged. And there is much violence and psychological abuse directed at men. Some reports have women instigating violence more than men, but with less injuries and deaths. Some put it "only" at 40% of domestic violence. http://www.batteredmen.com/NISVS.htm.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence.

It is bad stuff and a lot is going around. It is not crazy that his fiancé said she had a role too or that she married him anyway or that they both say they want to work together to be better people.

My point is that because this was on tape people are horrified like never before (which might be a good thing) even if they don't understand it any better. And that while wrong, people of all types get caught in it. It is just sad that Rice became the poster child when there are so many more deserving scumbags who weren't caught on tape. Again the parallels to Moon and his wife are similar except his went to trial over his wife's objects and a jury only needed a few minutes to acquit him.

nrc
09-09-14, 02:58 AM
I thought it was totally legal. The punter needs to learn how to tackle.

And am a former punter/kicker. And not particularly a Browns hater/Steelers fan.

Kickers and punters are considered "defenseless" at all times in the NFL. That means no hits to the head or neck.

Andrew Longman
09-09-14, 08:26 AM
Kickers and punters are considered "defenseless" at all times in the NFL. That means no hits to the head or neck.

When you block them, especially when they are away from the play. QBs too after a turnover. I see that.

But also when they are supposed to be the "hittee" and are trying to tackle you? Please. The punter got into a "breakdown" position as if to make the tackle but instead of driving through the ball carrier he collapsed backwards in retreat and took a foot to the face that would have otherwise cleared him.

Might as well make it two hand touch for punters and kickers to call it a tackle.

Punters and kickers can be smaller than other players but anybody can learn to tackle properly or learn to get out of the way and not try.

TKGAngel
09-09-14, 08:41 AM
Mrs. Rice speaks (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-janay-rice-breaks-her-silence-describes-situation-as-horrible-nightmare-20140909,0,5216376.story).

I hate to break it to her, but what the NFL did is not a "ratings grab." What TMZ did is, but not the NFL.

Tifosi24
09-09-14, 09:12 AM
The first video gives the impression that Ray knocked her out, it proves nothing beyond a reasonable doubt. Assuming that his is the only evidence brought to court , a good defense attorney, especially considering that the wife is supporting the defendant, would say there is no way to know what happened. Was there a scuffle and she accidentally fell and hit her head? I would argue that the tape has everything to do with the crime because it is the "smoking gun" and it removes any "he said, she said" from the equation. I can't speak to how things are in other jurisdictions, but if this was my wife and I, in the county I live in, my county attorney would throw the book at me. If the prosecutor in this case saw all of the evidence in this case, and didn't take Ray Rice to court, he or she should lose his job because I can't see how you don't convict him.

I would assume that Warren Moon was acquitted because there wasn't video evidence, and the same reason that Chris Cook wasn't thrown in jail. When it's he said, she said, that by definition makes it very difficult to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt.

The fact that the act was on tape has nothing to do with the crime or it's severity. He knocked her out. That was never in question. The first tape showed that. Rice never denied it. The cops arrested and later charged him. They didn't lie to the cops about what happened. The cops investigated and a judge allowed him to apply and was accepted into a first time offender program with counseling and monitoring. Similar programs are used by countless people in every state all the time for whom prison doesn't seem appropriate and for those who are not likely to be repeat offenders. Sorry, but punching your partner doesn't automatically land you in prison any more than punching someone at an Eagles game. It is up to a judge.

My point is that because this was on tape people are horrified like never before (which might be a good thing) even if they don't understand it any better. And that while wrong, people of all types get caught in it. It is just sad that Rice became the poster child when there are so many more deserving scumbags who weren't caught on tape. Again the parallels to Moon and his wife are similar except his went to trial over his wife's objects and a jury only needed a few minutes to acquit him.

Andrew Longman
09-09-14, 09:18 AM
The NFL is worried about ratings too. Losing them that is. This is PR damage control for them. It is the only reason they give a crap about anything anyone does off the field.

Again, the Rice's aren't the ones who didn't release the tape (even if it only showed what we all knew happened). They have cooperated with the authorities, the Ravens and the league. They haven't denied or fought anything. They immediately sought counseling for their problem and until now haven't played this out in the media.

It seems to me that they have turned the whole thing over, surrendered and have tried to "do the next right thing" but it just keeps getting worse for them. That was Janay's point and reason for speaking out.

Simply compare their behavior to oh, say Randy Moss' various domestic and legal problems going back to college.

Or for grins here is a list of NFL arrests going back to 2000 http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

And an interesting analysis from a credible source http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

Andrew Longman
09-09-14, 09:31 AM
The first video gives the impression that Ray knocked her out, it proves nothing beyond a reasonable doubt.You are leaving out the part where they both told the police what happened. That night. And the cops, the prosecutor and judge applied about the same justice as people with similar crimes, criminal histories, similar cooperation, similar remorse get. He was, in your words, "taken to court". He wasn't let go. He was charged and arraigned in court. He was allowed a pretrial intervention program which many people get but it is also a program he has to complete or he is headed back to court and likely to jail.

And when prosecutors did bring a similar case to trial in the Moon's case, once the jury heard all the testimony including what the fight was about, the role both participants had, and how they responded to incident, the jury acquitted him. If there had been video it could well have made no difference since (as with the Rice case) there was no disputing that an altercation took place.

I do not however suggest you try to prove me right or wrong by striking your partner. :)

Gnam
09-09-14, 01:04 PM
The NFL is worried about ratings too. Losing them that is. This is PR damage control for them. It is the only reason they give a crap about anything anyone does off the field.
Maybe the league could swap out the pink Breast Cancer Awareness shoes/towels for purple Stop Domestic Violence shoes/towels.
Both awareness months are in October.

How long before Ray Rice sues the NFL for brain damage?

dando
09-09-14, 01:40 PM
Mike & Mike this AM railed against the Rice penalty, as well as the NFL for not getting the video. Interesting since they were among the starters of the media backlash against the 2-game suspension. :rolleyes:

nrc
09-10-14, 02:36 AM
Trial by media in the court of public opinion seems to be the norm these days.

Ray Rice deserves to be tried and it's pretty indisputable that he deserves to be punished according to the law. The NFL blew it on the initial suspension. Their subsequent mea culpa seemed appropriate but now they're just reacting to the media. What Rice did was horrible, but this media drumbeat that the NFL is full of irredeemable wife beaters is just over the top.

I don't think that turning someone into a pariah and destroying their career on their first mistake serves anyone. Send him somewhere to get his anger under control and then make him spend the rest of his career talking to high school, college, and rookie players about it.

Andrew Longman
09-10-14, 12:16 PM
Ray Rice deserves to be tried and it's pretty indisputable that he deserves to be punished according to the law.Well, it seems the second video WAS seen by a grand jury who DID indicted him. The fact that is was grand jury evidence is why legally the prosecutors could not turn it over. But they DID turn over the other less graphic video that apparently wasn't shown to the grand jury but nevertheless really tells everything anyone needs to know, especially once Rice and his fiance immediately admitted he punched her unconscious.

Teammates also say Rice told his teammate in graphic detail what happened and apologized. So the Ravens knew exactly what happened before the second video. Even without the second video the NFL knew exactly what happened. And the prosecutors and grand jury did see the video and gave him punishment that is in line with what anyone else would get for a first offense and clean record. Given how the courts treated Rice the Ravens and NFL treated him similarly, especially given that he has never been a problem player -- quite the opposite.

The problem now is that all of America woke up to the reality of what domestic violence actually looks like they somehow have changed their opinion of it without any of the facts actually changing. Now the AC prosecutors, the NFL and the victim herself are running for cover though they haven't done anything wrong. And Rice's career is toast out of proportion to other offenses and offenders.

Gnam
09-10-14, 01:23 PM
The problem now is that all of America woke up to the reality of what domestic violence actually looks like they somehow have changed their opinion of it without any of the facts actually changing.
Who has changed their opinion?

Reading a news blurb about Ray Rice beating up his wife is a little different than watching it happen.

The elevator video makes the facts easier to understand and easier to share with a larger audience by making us all witnesses. As more people saw it, it was inevitable that the outrage was going to grow. To say people had their chance to voice disapproval in January but not afterwards ignores the impact of watching someone get assaulted.

That said the Oakland Raiders would hire him today, no questions asked.

Andrew Longman
09-10-14, 04:19 PM
Who has changed their opinion?

Reading a news blurb about Ray Rice beating up his wife is a little different than watching it happen.True. And that is why even juries are not always allowed to see some crime scene photos or hear testimony that would be too prejudicial.

But the public did see more than a news blurb. They saw the first video of him pulling her out of the elevator. expressed disgust and regret for Rice. Some burned his jersey.

Then the second video came out. I'm sorry but if someone doesn't imagine the violence required to knock someone out, then when they actually see it decides that only prison and a lifetime employment ban, and ostracizing his wife for not dumping him, and firing the league commissioner for not banning him earlier, and firing the AG for not requiring jail time will equal justice, then I'm say that person is a day late and a dollar short.

Tomorrow is Thursday. Isn't there a game tomorrow night we could talk about instead? Steelers against someone? Baltimore? Crap! :D

Insomniac
09-10-14, 08:00 PM

Late to the party, but isn't this the attitude that basically got everyone to this point?

I wouldn't call this standing up:

"I want to first off apologize to [owner] Steve Bisciotti, [general manager and executive vice president] Ozzie Newsome and [head] coach [John] Harbaugh, and I also want to apologize to my fans, to the kids, to everyone who was affected by this situation that me and my wife were in.

He couldn't bother to maybe first off apologize to his wife?

The NFL has really messed this up. And if the "punishment" he received is typical for first time offenders, that is also sad IMO.

Tifosi24
09-10-14, 08:33 PM
The problem now is that all of America woke up to the reality of what domestic violence actually looks like they somehow have changed their opinion of it without any of the facts actually changing. Now the AC prosecutors, the NFL and the victim herself are running for cover though they haven't done anything wrong. And Rice's career is toast out of proportion to other offenses and offenders.

I don't think it is a wake up call to domestic violence. I think most people know that in some cases both individuals are getting physical, and everyone knows that cowards, trash, dirtbags (whatever you want to call them) beat women. I don't dispute that others in the league (and members of the Baltimore Ravens, it runs in the family apparently) have done worse things (drag a woman outside his car, Terrell Suggs; probably killed a man, Ray Lewis), but Ray Rice shouldn't have knocked his wife unconscious, so I don't feel any sympathy for him.

I agree with Insomniac, the only thing we get out of this is that the penalties for first offense domestic violence are whoa-fully inadequate. Philip Nelson, who was suppose to be Rutgers' starting QB this year and former Minnesota starting QB, allegedly punched a guy unconscious, who then hit the ground and suffered a TBI. Nelson is facing stiff felony charges. As far as I know, Mr. Nelson had nothing on this record beyond traffic tickets. How is the Ray Rice situation different, other than he assaulted his fiancee, not a random person, and she didn't suffer a seriously brain injury when slamming into the elevator hand rail?

Clearly I am exaggerating, but these diversion programs say, "Hey, if you beat your significant other, just make sure you do it once and that the violence you inflict isn't that bad."

Gnam
09-10-14, 09:04 PM
:D

http://s8.postimg.org/70v9ab0ed/IFWT_Ray_meme_8.jpg

Andrew Longman
09-10-14, 09:58 PM
Clearly I am exaggerating, but these diversion programs say, "Hey, if you beat your significant other, just make sure you do it once and that the violence you inflict isn't that bad."No, you have it about right. If you have a record or your crime created serious enough harm, you won't get PTI.

This is why we have it http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/criminal/crpti.htm

In states were candidates are carefully selected and monitored there is plenty of evidence it is a good idea. There are plenty of studies that say so.

His public apology may not have been directed at his wife, but they entered counseling immediately after the incident and if they (and especially she) think its is helping them then I say it is good enough for me and moreover it is a private matter once the state and the court are satisfied. This was a settled matter until the second video showed up and media social and otherwise started spinning up facts that always had been there to see as well as manufactured facts and outrage.

We're all friends here. I want to keep it that way. Very much. Let's talk football and motorsports and smoking and bacon. :D

chop456
09-11-14, 01:22 AM
especially given that he has never been a problem player -- quite the opposite.

Agreed. He deserves some credit for all those years he didn't knock out any women at all.

stroker
09-11-14, 11:44 AM
So is this an NFL thing only or is any employer expected to automatically fire a guy when having video of him punching his wife?

Gnam
09-13-14, 04:15 PM
Know your NFL Team crime statistics
(2000-present)

click for interactive
http://s2.postimg.org/v7jeh3k09/rdve3rg9xl0wnu3jxjb7.png (http://highrankwebsites.com/nfl-crimes-interactive/)

TKGAngel
09-14-14, 07:53 PM
Those AFC East standings are looking very nice tonight. :)

dando
09-14-14, 09:27 PM
Those AFC East standings are looking very nice tonight. :)

Now, now...the Toronto Bills has a nice ring to it. :gomer:

In other news, so much for the Shehags beat down. :saywhat:

Gnam
09-15-14, 12:57 AM
How did the 49ers lose that game? They made Jay Cutler look like Joe Montana. :shakehead:

chop456
09-15-14, 01:54 AM
No idea. I don't think anyone saw that one coming.

I'll take it, though. :D

SteveH
09-15-14, 08:08 AM
Only Mike saw it coming. As you knew he would. Ditka!

http://i.imgur.com/cgLTYn8.png

indyfan31
09-15-14, 09:59 AM
Is it just Kaepernick or do other QBs let the play clock wind down to the last possible second before starting the play? :irked:

Andrew Longman
09-15-14, 11:49 AM
Is it just Kaepernick or do other QBs let the play clock wind down to the last possible second before starting the play? :irked:

A lot do. I think it is to allow them to change the play, and make the defense change what it is showing, as much as possible.

Drives me nuts, especially since most of what the QB is shouting most of the time is nonsense and is only done to make it look as if he is changing the play and keep the defense from digging in too much. But defenses know that too. Cripes. all the hullabaloo about
Omaha" was about Manning (Payton and Eli's) way to tell the offense he is done jabbering nonsense and that the next "hutt" really means sanp the ball. Takes about three plays for the defense to figure that out.

dando
09-19-14, 06:34 PM
Too little, too late, time to go, Roger.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11551518/how-ray-rice-scandal-unfolded-baltimore-ravens-roger-goodell-nfl

dando
09-19-14, 11:37 PM
Olbermann rails on Goodell's...well, whatever that was. :shakehead:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/olbermann-rips-goodells-pathetic-presser-nothing-but-shallow-spin/

And, AL, feel free to retract your 'meh' response. This is one smoking pile of turds.

Tifosi24
09-20-14, 10:08 AM
The Adrian Peterson saga has been wall-to-wall up here, and it is further proof that the Vikings organization is beyond inept, which is about par for the course with the NFL. To think that your fans and sponsors would be okay with him sitting one game is beyond arrogant, then again the Wilf brothers have been found liable for serious fraud in New Jersey, so I don't think they care much about public perception. I can say though that the discussions about child discipline and child abuse have been interesting and certainly opened my eyes up to the significant cultural and regional differences that still exist on that topic. It would seem like the easiest way, which I doubt the league or teams will want to do because it is all about money and winning, to deal with these sort of serious allegations is to put the player on immediate paid administrative leave. Granted, the Commissioner's exempt list which all these guys are on is essentially that, it is up to the team whether or not they want to do it, but one would think the league should have the option of placing someone on this list if the team refuses.

stroker
09-20-14, 10:11 AM
The coincidence of the AP situation coming up just weeks after rumors of his having told Jerry Jones he'd like to play for Dallas is interesting...

Gnam
09-20-14, 01:04 PM
It would seem like the easiest way... to deal with these sort of serious allegations is to put the player on immediate paid administrative leave. Granted, the Commissioner's exempt list which all these guys are on is essentially that, it is up to the team whether or not they want to do it, but one would think the league should have the option of placing someone on this list if the team refuses.
It's interesting watching the various levels of authority fail to deliver a punishment that is acceptable to the public. It's a cascade failure.
* Families and friends can't/won't correct the misbehavior.
* The law won't prosecute.
* The employer won't terminate.
* The owners' association won't ban.

It appears the new limit on behavior will be dictated by what the sponsors can tolerate, and it appears they can tolerate quite a bit. The only conditions being that the story isn't in the news for very long and there is no videotape. :gomer:

Gnam
09-23-14, 04:18 PM
This is a pretty good summary of the 49ers season so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-QW2YhKq-A

stroker
09-23-14, 10:54 PM
Was it me, or did the officiating on Monday night's game SUCK?

nrc
09-30-14, 09:37 AM
Ouch. I'm not sure whether the beating the Chiefs put on the Pats should give me confidence for the Bengals game against them next week or whether I should fear the wrath of Belichick. The Bengals' defense won't have the benefit of crowd noise but they should still be able to create havoc for Brady unless the Pats offensive line plays a lot better next week.

WickerBill
09-30-14, 09:43 AM
It isn't smart to say "The Patriots are done", but they sure look like a mid-pack team. So do the Saints. If the Pats played the Saints 10 times in a row, I think the home team would win every game.

Insomniac
09-30-14, 01:28 PM
Ouch. I'm not sure whether the beating the Chiefs put on the Pats should give me confidence for the Bengals game against them next week or whether I should fear the wrath of Belichick. The Bengals' defense won't have the benefit of crowd noise but they should still be able to create havoc for Brady unless the Pats offensive line plays a lot better next week.

You'll hear a lot about how little the Patriots lose back-to-back, but right now, they're looking like one of the worst teams in the Belichick/Brady era.

Personally, I think they think too much and it has finally screwed them over. They could be very complex with defense in the early 2000s, but not now. They can be diverse and multiple on offense before, but not now. Brady is at a much higher level than almost everyone on the team and they expect everyone to get there instead of him coming down. I think that is partly why Garoppolo came in and got a quick TD. He is at a similar level as the others in his ability. I also think KC had let up a bit at that point.

It works when you have the players, but they don't. They think they will either get there or are too stubborn to change. Belichick the GM has severely let Belichick the coach down. In 2013, they drafted 2 WRs and had an UDFA WR make the team. Yesterday, 2 of them (2nd Rd, UDFA) were healthy scratches and the other (4th Rd) is now on the practice squad (when they cut him before the season, no one even wanted him!).

dando
10-06-14, 01:28 PM
FYI, DirecTV and NFL extended the NFLST deal 8 years, $1.5B per. An astounding 50% increase. No word if this will include AT&T platforms once the deal closes, but one would think it would due to the size of the fee increase.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2217598-nfl-and-directv-extend-nfl-sunday-ticket-with-new-multi-year-agreement

dando
10-06-14, 01:36 PM

Welcome back to reality. :irked: The Bungles couldn't anything right, but were still only down 14-0 late in the second quarter. Two fumbles equaled 10 points, and they simply couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Not sure if that was the wrath of Bellyache rather than Brady. Not sure anyone would have beaten the Pats last night.

Insomniac
10-06-14, 02:14 PM
FYI, DirecTV and NFL extended the NFLST deal 8 years, $1.5B per. An astounding 50% increase. No word if this will include AT&T platforms once the deal closes, but one would think it would due to the size of the fee increase.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2217598-nfl-and-directv-extend-nfl-sunday-ticket-with-new-multi-year-agreement

I'm thinking it doesn't. I think that's the tax/leverage imposed by the NFL because the AT&T merger was dependent on that agreement. I hope this does not affect my ability to get it for free annually. :)

Insomniac
10-06-14, 02:16 PM
Welcome back to reality. :irked: The Bungles couldn't anything right, but were still only down 14-0 late in the second quarter. Two fumbles equaled 10 points, and they simply couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Not sure if that was the wrath of Bellyache rather than Brady. Not sure anyone would have beaten the Pats last night.

Pats were on a mission and Brady wasn't messing around. It's just 1 game though. They also had 5 FGs, so there's still a lot of work to do. The crowd was amped, which is not typical.

dando
10-06-14, 02:27 PM
Meanwhile, keeping it klassy in Jax.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11652544/jacksonville-jaguars-apologize-mascot-ebola-sign

Jaxson de Ville held up a handwritten sign during the fourth quarter of the game that read "TOWELS CARRY EBOLA" while carrying a yellow Terrible Towel in his right hand. Jaguars president Mark Lamping said the team had no prior knowledge of the sign and is handling the matter internally.

Gnam
10-06-14, 03:23 PM
#84 Brandon Lloyd can jump good! :D
...which is nice since all of Kaepernick's passes are too high. :shakehead:

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/40979602/holylloyd.0.0.0_standard_730.0.gif

Insomniac
10-06-14, 03:52 PM
#84 Brandon Lloyd can jump good! :D
...which is nice since all of Kaepernick's passes are too high. :shakehead:

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/40979602/holylloyd.0.0.0_standard_730.0.gif

When he was in NE, I quickly learned every catch he ,makes is a production. You'll see that stuff a lot and when it seems completely unnecessary.

dando
10-06-14, 03:58 PM
When he was in NE, I quickly learned every catch he ,makes is a production. You'll see that stuff a lot and when it seems completely unnecessary.

That's called the Jerome Simpson effect...able to leap defenders in a single bound. Perhaps that's what getting high does for you, and why Simpson is looking for work after being released by Minnie after yet another arrest. :saywhat:

dando
10-06-14, 04:03 PM
On the good news side of the NFL, class displayed by the Pats to have their cheerleaders wear Devon Still jerseys. :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.eonline.com/news/585781/cincinnati-bengals-devon-still-moved-to-tears-after-the-new-england-patriots-tribute-to-his-daughter

WickerBill
10-06-14, 04:43 PM
Lloyd has always been an astonishing athlete, capable of mind-boggling catches. He's also on his sixth team, I believe. So there's something there that must really stink.

cameraman
10-06-14, 04:58 PM
Seventh team sort of as he has gone 49ers, skins, bears, broncos, rams, pats and now 49ers again.

Seems he is a rather toxic individual.

TKGAngel
10-06-14, 07:06 PM
Dan Carpenter was having quite a nutty after his field goal miss late in the 4th. Now we know why:

Dude shines laser pointer onto field during Lions game, brags about it on Twitter (http://deadspin.com/bills-say-someone-shined-laser-pointer-on-them-guy-twe-1642875329).

dando
10-06-14, 08:00 PM
Dan Carpenter was having quite a nutty after his field goal miss late in the 4th. Now we know why:

Dude shines laser pointer onto field during Lions game, brags about it on Twitter (http://deadspin.com/bills-say-someone-shined-laser-pointer-on-them-guy-twe-1642875329).

Nice. A couple of times a year there are reports of this happening to the local police choppers. Idiots. :saywhat:

nrc
10-07-14, 04:38 PM

Yeah, exactly what I was afraid of from the Patriots. I really think the Bengals should have burned as many time-outs as they needed to get the defense settled during that first drive. Maybe pull a few Marv Levy faked injuries just for old times sake.

dando
10-07-14, 07:20 PM
Yeah, exactly what I was afraid of from the Patriots. I really think the Bengals should have burned as many time-outs as they needed to get the defense settled during that first drive. Maybe pull a few Marv Levy faked injuries just for old times sake.

Hindsight being 20/20, perhaps they should have taken the ball first rather than defer. One of the local hacks mentioned that on Twitter. YMMV. The other point I forgot to mention was the Ofer 7 on 3rd down for the Bungles O. Couldn't get off the field on 3rd down on D, or stay on the field on 3rd down on O. The good news is we won the penalty battle. :gomer:

nrc
10-12-14, 06:35 PM
Ugh. Nuge, you're breaking my heart. I guess it's time to see what kickers are available off the street. :(

WickerBill
10-12-14, 07:06 PM
Brutal. Sister-kissers are the worst.

On the bright side -- those are the best uniforms they wear. Make them permanent.

Broncos weren't exactly dominant against the minor-league NY franchise today.

dando
10-12-14, 08:09 PM
Ugh. Nuge, you're breaking my heart. I guess it's time to see what kickers are available off the street. :(

Time for Nuge to go kick for the Lions (Prater 1/3 today). :flaming: :mad: :saywhat: :irked: x11 The D still can't off the field on 3rd down, Dalton being playoff Dalton, Nuge....and now I have to hear it from Clowns fans after beating a BAD Blitzburgh team. :sigh: :shakehead:

Meanwhile, the how 'bout them Cowboys?!?, SD skating past the Raiderz, and the Pack a fake clock it past the Fish?!? Jeebus.

dando
10-12-14, 08:15 PM
Oh, and Harvin and the Chargers D netted me -3 points in FFL. Gostkowski netted 17 points. :saywhat: Maddening. :irked:

Gnam
10-12-14, 10:31 PM
Victor Cruz must owe the mob a lot of money. Only explanation for his point shaving. :shakehead:

nrc
10-13-14, 01:04 AM
Time for Nuge to go kick for the Lions (Prater 1/3 today). :flaming: :mad: :saywhat: :irked: x11 The D still can't off the field on 3rd down, Dalton being playoff Dalton, Nuge....and now I have to hear it from Clowns fans after beating a BAD Blitzburgh team. :sigh: :shakehead:

Meanwhile, the how 'bout them Cowboys?!?, SD skating past the Raiderz, and the Pack a fake clock it past the Fish?!? Jeebus.

This would have been a dream game for Dalton in the playoffs. 2TD/2INT and a 93 passer rating is way beyond anything he's done in the postseason. The first INT was a floater caused by pressure, *it happens. Second was just a bad decision and shouldn't have been thrown.

After looking like world beaters the first couple of weeks the defense has been a puzzle. Hopefully Burfict can stay healthy and they'll get it back together.

dando
10-14-14, 07:09 AM
This would have been a dream game for Dalton in the playoffs. 2TD/2INT and a 93 passer rating is way beyond anything he's done in the postseason. The first INT was a floater caused by pressure, *it happens. Second was just a bad decision and shouldn't have been thrown.

After looking like world beaters the first couple of weeks the defense has been a puzzle. Hopefully Burfict can stay healthy and they'll get it back together.

When Dalton threw the second INT, I was actually saying to myself they better not make a mistake on that drive. :(Colts.

According to Mort last night, Tez is being looked into for twisting the legs of Olsen and Newton. I didn't think either of the plays he received flags for PFs were worthy of being flagged. :saywhat:

Green said he didn't think he would play against the Colts. :irked:

Amazingly we actually get the Colts game locally over the Clowns/Jax Sunday.

dando
10-14-14, 04:00 PM
nrc has been busy channeling his inner Ickeyness to Jeremy Hill. Got cold cuts? :gomer: :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Clt9mZOZA

WickerBill
10-15-14, 10:55 AM
Burfict got a $25k fine. No suspension. I do not understand the NFL.

nrc
10-15-14, 01:14 PM
nrc has been busy channeling his inner Ickeyness to Jeremy Hill. Got cold cuts? :gomer: :D

He didn't even have to go back to the bench to do it. :)

Andrew Longman
10-15-14, 03:09 PM
Burfict got a $25k fine. No suspension. I do not understand the NFL.

I love this:

Cornerback Adam Jones was a little more talkative.

"Yeah, I was" surprised, Jones said. "Because there was no flag. And Vontaze plays with great emotions and I don't think he should have been fined $25,000 for it.

"It is what it is. Vontaze will take that one on the chin. He can't change the way he plays."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11705286/nfl-fines-cincinnati-bengals-linebacker-vontaze-burfict-25000

Frankly I don't understand Lewis or the Bengals not suspending him. It shows his head is NOT on his play and job. He is playing out of control and risking needless penalties and injury to his teammates in retaliation. And it is embarrassing for Bengals fans. I know plenty of coaches who simply would not allow that crap on the team.

And where was the flag?:irked:

But I am old school and I too haven't "got" the NFL since Rozelle retired.

nrc
10-15-14, 06:13 PM
I love this:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11705286/nfl-fines-cincinnati-bengals-linebacker-vontaze-burfict-25000

Frankly I don't understand Lewis or the Bengals not suspending him. It shows his head is NOT on his play and job. He is playing out of control and risking needless penalties and injury to his teammates in retaliation. And it is embarrassing for Bengals fans. I know plenty of coaches who simply would not allow that crap on the team.

And where was the flag?:irked:

Bengals suspend him? When has that ever happened for something like this? Suh? Haynesworth? Harrison?

Yeah, Burfict appears to have been "giving him the business" but if I had a nickel for every time I've seen someone hold on to an ankle or arm and gave it an unnecessary pull at the end of a tackle then I could buy the franchise myself (yes, that's approximately 20 billion times). No, Burfict shouldn't do it, but Jones is right - it happens all the time.

Why wasn't there a penalty? Because there was no way to tell without three replays and slow motion that anything untoward happened.

Andrew Longman
10-16-14, 08:19 AM
Bengals suspend him?Sure. I don't watch the Bengals every week so maybe I don't know.

I do watch the Giants every week and have since about 1967 and I don't see that crap. Wellington and John Mara would not have that on his team. Parcells and Coughlin wouldn't. My local HS coach wouldn't. A big part of their draft and free agent selection criteria is personality assessment to see if a guy can control himself on and off the field. Pacman would never be a Giant. Ever. Every Giants fans I know were not in love with Shockey and Buress joining the team because they didn't meet the team "spec" and sure enough they embarrassed themselves and got shipped off.

It seems the Bengals put up with this crap and so they keep getting it.

nrc
10-17-14, 04:58 PM
Sure. I don't watch the Bengals every week so maybe I don't know.

I do watch the Giants every week and have since about 1967 and I don't see that crap. Wellington and John Mara would not have that on his team. Parcells and Coughlin wouldn't. My local HS coach wouldn't. A big part of their draft and free agent selection criteria is personality assessment to see if a guy can control himself on and off the field. Pacman would never be a Giant. Ever. Every Giants fans I know were not in love with Shockey and Buress joining the team because they didn't meet the team "spec" and sure enough they embarrassed themselves and got shipped off.

It seems the Bengals put up with this crap and so they keep getting it.

I guess Weston Richburg didn't get the memo.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/10/12/6967565/weston-richburg-dirty-hit-on-fletcher-cox-video-eagles-vs-giants

Yeah, Mike Brown believes in second chances and it hasn't always turned out well. He also made sure that Devon Still had health insurance for his daughter's cancer treatment and absorbed the cost of over 10,000 Devon Still jerseys in a drive that raised more than a million dollars for pediatric cancer research.

On the field the Bengals have no more history of that sort of stuff than most other NFL teams. They're in a division where they play the Steelers and Ravens twice a year so they're usually the ones getting their jaws broken and knees destroyed.

dando
10-18-14, 11:46 AM
AL obviously has a selective memory/agenda. Saint LT would never be a Giant, right? :shakehead:

Insomniac
10-18-14, 06:16 PM
AL obviously has a selective memory/agenda. Saint LT would never be a Giant, right? :shakehead:

No one should proclaim their team to be of high moral character. Every team is out to win and they draw and re-draw the lines of acceptance continually. There's no team in the league that wouldn't have had Ray Rice or A.D. on their roster in 2013.