PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2014

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

nrc
01-27-15, 06:41 PM
The plot thickens. The Patriots locker room attendant took the balls from the Officials locker room to another room in Gillette stadium before taking them out to the field.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463640/article/fox-sports-nfl-zeroes-in-on-lockerroom-attendant

cameraman
01-27-15, 07:29 PM
So they are that stupid?

:shakehead:

RaceGrrl
01-28-15, 09:51 AM

Insomniac
01-28-15, 10:46 AM
So they are that stupid?

:shakehead:

They even gave the video to the NFL and decided to say 100% nothing happened. So we're up to the highest levels of arrogance/stupidity or maybe they did nothing wrong. I'm not going to pretend I know what happened in ~90 seconds, but here are my thoughts on how they could reasonably figure it out (besides asking the attendant).

1. They say they noticed the problem in Indy, how'd the Patriots do it when Colts employees are the ball attendants?
2. If New England does this all the time and it's a process, is there video of the ball attendant going to the bathroom for every game?

I'd just take Belichick's word on it. He said they artificially raised the PSI about 1 pound from their internal investigation.

WickerBill
02-01-15, 03:25 PM
I would love to tell you how excited I am for this game. But I'm not

cameraman
02-01-15, 04:12 PM
I don't think anyone outside of New England and Seattle cares about this game.

Of course the Katy Perry fans will tune in for the half...

Dvdb
02-01-15, 08:16 PM
and pray for a wardrobe malfunction

cameraman
02-01-15, 08:44 PM
Okay Fiat just won the super bowl.

KLang
02-01-15, 09:41 PM
Agree on Fiat, so far at least. The second Sprint ad was pretty good too.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

SteveH
02-01-15, 10:04 PM
The Dodge commercial :thumbup:

dando
02-01-15, 11:10 PM
Wow. What a colossal finish and implosion. Run Lynch up the middle, and the SeaHags have #2. :eek: :saywhat:

Side note, human Pac Man was pretty cool, too.

Gnam
02-01-15, 11:14 PM
Justice. :thumbup:

SteveH
02-01-15, 11:31 PM
Side note, human Pac Man was pretty cool, too.

Very cool, could see that becoming a thing.

chop456
02-02-15, 02:26 AM
The only bright spot here is that one of these teams was guaranteed to lose. :thumbup:

nrc
02-02-15, 02:53 AM
One of the worst play calls in the history of professional football.

TravelGal
02-02-15, 10:22 AM

Word. Twelve hours later and I'm still stunned.

cameraman
02-02-15, 12:27 PM
An NFL stat obviously coming from a Seattle apologist...

Plays from the 1-yard line in the NFL in 2014

Total 332 plays.

Pass Attempts - 109
Pass success rate - 61%

Run Attempts - 223
Run success rate - 58%

Interceptions - 1 (yesterday)
Fumbles - number annoyingly missing

Of course that doesn't factor in the availability of Marshawn Lynch:rolleyes:

chop456
02-02-15, 12:57 PM
http://mashup.weei.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Nationwide-SB-ad-meme.jpg

Don Quixote
02-02-15, 01:25 PM
:rofl:

Gnam
02-02-15, 01:43 PM
WTF? Clown car does not begin to describe the NFL front office. :shakehead:

New report says only one Patriots football was seriously deflated

Eleven of the 12 footballs used in the first half were judged by the officials to be under the minimum of 12.5 PSI, but just one was two pounds under. Many of them were just a few ticks under the minimum.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/new-report-says-only-one-patriots-football-was-seriously-deflated-165514858.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466783/article/more-details-on-the-investigation-of-patriots-deflated-footballs

indyfan31
02-02-15, 01:45 PM
Sheman's expression was worth every minute of it. :cry:

Gnam
02-02-15, 01:52 PM
Commercial discussion:

1. The Nissan ad with 'Cats in the Cradle' song was the best.
2. The Jeep ad where they suggested the Great Wall of China is "my land". Manifest destiny, bitches. :laugh:
3. NFL ad where the Colts are represented by My Little Pony. :D

http://s16.postimg.org/6psin042t/xhuvigu.jpg

Napoleon
02-02-15, 02:09 PM

To summarize a longer explanation I saw for why throwing could be considered logical is basically with 20 seconds and 1 time out it gave them a better chance to get 3 plays and be less predicable. But that doesn't explain the type of pass play they called.

WickerBill
02-02-15, 02:23 PM
Commercial discussion:

1. The Nissan ad with 'Cats in the Cradle' song was the best.

Whaaaaaaaat? :saywhat:

Have you ever *heard* the ending to that song?? :)

cameraman
02-02-15, 02:43 PM
Whaaaaaaaat? :saywhat:

Have you ever *heard* the ending to that song?? :)

Yeah, I was really confused by that as the song does not have a happy ending. The exact opposite of the commercial. Not to mention Harry Chapin died in a car wreck.

Plus a front wheel drive, front engined LMP1 with front tires twice a wide as the rears? How hot is it going to get inside that cockpit?

dando
02-02-15, 02:46 PM
Johnny Football to rehab.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12267487/johnny-manziel-cleveland-browns-entering-rehab-improve-himself

dando
02-02-15, 02:48 PM
USA Today ad meter.

http://admeter.usatoday.com/results/2015

1. Bud
2. Like a Girl
3. Fiat

:saywhat:

cameraman
02-02-15, 02:50 PM
I suppose having a sober QB couldn't hurt.

dando
02-02-15, 03:02 PM
I suppose having a QB couldn't hurt.

Fixed. With Hoyer likely on the way out, Johnny is the likely heir apparent, and the pickings are slim on the FA market.

TKGAngel
02-02-15, 04:08 PM
Like a Girl, Bud Puppy and the Avocado ad were my three favorite ads. What was Nationwide thinking even airing thair ad? Same with Weight Watchers. Let's lecture you on food as you're shoveling fatty crap in your piehole.

Elmo T
02-02-15, 04:20 PM
As a safety professional (if that's a thing) - I liked the Nationwide dead kid commercial. It hit hard and many had their feelings tweaked. Exactly the point of the commercial.

The "Fire Kills" campaign from the UK had some horrifying yet effective videos. Very similar to this Nationwide ad.

cameraman
02-02-15, 04:35 PM
I work with organ transplant surgeons and it is stunning how many kids "contribute" to the program due to just plain carelessness on the part of parents. You don't have to wrap your kid in bubble wrap but there are over 40,000 ER visits every year due to unsecured furniture tipping over on climbing kids under 8. About 30 are fatal every year. It isn't hard or expensive to secure the furniture but the vast majority of people don't do it. Having personally handled the liver and lungs of a 3-year old killed by a bookcase you can be damn sure that everything in my house was bolted down before my son was born.

Gnam
02-02-15, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I was really confused by that as the song does not have a happy ending. The exact opposite of the commercial.
"And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me"

The kid wanted to be like his dad. How is that a sad ending?
Nissan kid way happier than Nationwide kid.

Insomniac
02-02-15, 05:55 PM
An NFL stat obviously coming from a Seattle apologist...

Plays from the 1-yard line in the NFL in 2014

Total 332 plays.

Pass Attempts - 109
Pass success rate - 61%

Run Attempts - 223
Run success rate - 58%

Interceptions - 1 (yesterday)
Fumbles - number annoyingly missing

Of course that doesn't factor in the availability of Marshawn Lynch:rolleyes:

Fumble number is 2. Full details:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-head-coach-botched-the-end-of-the-super-bowl-and-it-wasnt-pete-carroll/

Insomniac
02-02-15, 05:59 PM
To summarize a longer explanation I saw for why throwing could be considered logical is basically with 20 seconds and 1 time out it gave them a better chance to get 3 plays and be less predicable. But that doesn't explain the type of pass play they called.

I'd just add, they didn't have time to run 3 times. If NE stuffed them (they had their goal line package in) on 2nd down, that means on 3rd down they either throw it (to get a 4th down f they don't score) or they run it as the last play of the game. They tried to do the pass on the unexpected play. But that interception was a great play. That was nearly as improbably as the catch, a.k.a., "not again" for me.

Napoleon
02-02-15, 06:05 PM
Fumble number is 2. Full details:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-head-coach-botched-the-end-of-the-super-bowl-and-it-wasnt-pete-carroll/

That isn't just the long explanation that I mentioned above when I gave the short version, but the really long version with the part on Bill B's blown decision tossed in. Quite possibly what Carrol did works out to their advantage 99/100 times, but not last night.

WickerBill
02-02-15, 06:13 PM
My boy was just like me"

He wouldn't spend time with his dad because he was too busy, so his dad (basically) died a loner for ignoring his kid while he grew up. It is a terrible song and they didn't make it better by just leaving out the last verse and trying to make it happily ever after time.

Gnam
02-02-15, 06:15 PM
Good side by side reaction of Brady and Sherman to the interception.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/8A80F3A2D31174047753735704576_22888116b56.5.1.4827 352484704506928.mp4?versionId=W5oTGwzu0n8zff6TM8RC 0t8b0EcmXmhV

Gnam
02-02-15, 06:18 PM
http://s23.postimg.org/5h5qwf2pn/FRs2_I1_A.png

dando
02-02-15, 06:37 PM
Rob Oller retweeted
Breaking News ‏@BreakingNews 53m53 minutes ago
Super Bowl pulls in 114.4 million viewers, becomes most-watched show in US television history - @TVGuideMagazine http://bit.ly/1uRN2BJ

Report I heard this AM was the rating was 49.7.

:eek:

Don Quixote
02-02-15, 06:45 PM
Report I heard this AM was the rating was 49.7.

:eek:That is 497 IRL races.

cameraman
02-02-15, 06:52 PM
My boy was just like me"

Read all the lyrics...

Well, I've long since retired and my son's moved away
Called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, dad, if I could find the time"

"You see, my new job's a hassle and the kid's got the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, dad
It's been sure nice talking to you"

And as I hung up the phone, it occurred to me
My boy was just like me

That song is a brutal ****-you to workaholic fathers. It actually worked as an object lesson for me.

And to that end I need to head over to the science fair right now.

Gnam
02-02-15, 07:27 PM
Workaholic? I never took it that way.

People work.
The father was taking care of business, and so is the son.

After reading about how the song came to be, the author was definitely trying to lay a guilt trip on fathers.
http://harrychapin.com/circle/winter04/behind.htm

G.
02-02-15, 07:49 PM
Workaholic? I never took it that way.

This is not some new interpretation of the song by cameraman and, well, everybody else. :p

dando
02-02-15, 07:53 PM
Even as a yoot, I knew the meaning of the song, as was the point of the commercial yesterday. I always enjoyed it, tho.

Insomniac
02-02-15, 10:43 PM
I'm the only one here who enjoyed this victory. :D

I know many don't agree, but they earned it. This team wasn't as good as 2003-04 or 2007, but they still beat the best. They put up more points than the last 2 times and there was just a little bit left after the Ravens comeback (twice), calculated (and sometimes false) leaks to make the Patriots look as bad as possible, and a victory from what seemed like a destined loss again. It was a true Patriots victory, closed out by an undrafted rookie who despite not being a starter, prepared like he'd be playing. He was tossed in as a last resort after two others had failed and came up big in the biggest moments. There was a little bit of Brady Magic left. 4th Qtr: 13 for 15, 124 yards and 2 TDs. The greatest QB of all time.

dando
02-02-15, 10:54 PM
What we didn't see when NBC cut away from Baldwin's TD celebration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPQxfvYXZyQ

Of course, this was the same play when Sherman did the 2-4 on the sideline taunting Revis. NBC never mentioned that Revis was picked on the play by a ref, which is why Baldwin was so wide open. SheHawks are a totally classless team. :saywhat: :shakehead: :thumbdown:

dando
02-02-15, 11:06 PM

I know many don't agree, but they earned it. This team wasn't as good as 2003-04 or 2007, but they still beat the best. They put up more points than the last 2 times and there was just a little bit left after the Ravens comeback (twice), calculated (and sometimes false) leaks to make the Patriots look as bad as possible, and a victory from what seemed like a destined loss again. It was a true Patriots victory, closed out by an undrafted rookie who despite not being a starter, prepared like he'd be playing. He was tossed in as a last resort after two others had failed and came up big in the biggest moments. There was a little bit of Brady Magic left. 4th Qtr: 13 for 15, 124 yards and 2 TDs. The greatest QB of all time.

I had no dog in this fight. I just wanted a good game. Fact is, both teams reaching the Super Bowl was improbable. Green Bay had the game handed to them, but 5 FGs didn't cut it. The Ravens choked on two 14 point leads. Not saying either team didn't belong there, but how they got there required some luck in addition to good play. Not to mention the silly play call for the Pats to win the championship. Congrats to the Pats, but I still hate the Evil Emperor. :p

nrc
02-03-15, 01:11 AM
Of course, this was the same play when Sherman did the 2-4 on the sideline taunting Revis. NBC never mentioned that Revis was picked on the play by a ref, which is why Baldwin was so wide open. SheHawks are a totally classless team. :saywhat: :shakehead: :thumbdown:

I would have liked to have seen the game end in a 0-0 tie after the teams were unable to take the field for the 10th overtime. I had a slight preference for the Patriots because I didn't want to see the Seahawks repeat. The karmic justice of them losing after they had started to celebrate prematurely and then see their hopes of a comeback dashed in such ridiculous fashion was almost worth seeing the Patriots win. Both teams should have lost and that's about the best we could hope for.

Collinsworth mentioned several times that Revis was picked by the official. You must be tuning him out. :)

dando
02-03-15, 01:23 AM
I would have liked to have seen the game end in a 0-0 tie after the teams were unable to take the field for the 10th overtime. I had a slight preference for the Patriots because I didn't want to see the Seahawks repeat. The karmic justice of them losing after they had started to celebrate prematurely and then see their hopes of a comeback dashed in such ridiculous fashion was almost worth seeing the Patriots win. Both teams should have lost and that's about the best we could hope for.

Collinsworth mentioned several times that Revis was picked by the official. You must be tuning him out. :)

I tuned him out after the 1,000th mention of Deflategate...in the first quarter. :gomer: :saywhat:

WickerBill
02-03-15, 09:40 AM

If there's any team that really has a right to use "us against the world", it's your team. I can't think of another hugely-successful team with fewer bandwagoners nationally; the Patriots are just reviled.

I can't buy Brady as the best of all-time. We can argue that to eternity. But the guy I hate even more, Bill Belichick, I gotta say is probably the best ever. This league is not supposed to allow you to be at or near the top for over a decade. His mistake on 4th down in Indy in the 2006/2007 AFC championship is about the only colossal screw-up I can remember, and even then that team, with a middling defense and a bunch of nobodies at WR, almost beat the Colts, who were playing out of their skins on defense. And he won eleven games without Brady one year, so people cannot tell me he's only successful because of his QB. Hats off, you glorious grumpy -------, hats off.

Insomniac
02-03-15, 11:12 AM

Weird thing is, that "celebration" was targeted at a group not at the SB. Player above the team, 15-yd penalty. Sherman talks a lot of trash, but he was the first to congratulate Brady after losing. A lot more classy that Belichick walking off the field in SB XLII.

indyfan31
02-03-15, 11:17 AM

Nope, you're not. Like Dando I had no particular favorite this weekend, but seeing the Seahawks snatch defeat from the jaws of victory did make me snicker a little. Every team has an a-hole or two but Seattle bought them by the gross.

Insomniac
02-03-15, 11:19 AM
If there's any team that really has a right to use "us against the world", it's your team. I can't think of another hugely-successful team with fewer bandwagoners nationally; the Patriots are just reviled.

I can't buy Brady as the best of all-time. We can argue that to eternity. But the guy I hate even more, Bill Belichick, I gotta say is probably the best ever. This league is not supposed to allow you to be at or near the top for over a decade. His mistake on 4th down in Indy in the 2006/2007 AFC championship is about the only colossal screw-up I can remember, and even then that team, with a middling defense and a bunch of nobodies at WR, almost beat the Colts, who were playing out of their skins on defense. And he won eleven games without Brady one year, so people cannot tell me he's only successful because of his QB. Hats off, you glorious grumpy -------, hats off.

It's weird. I don't see Belichick as the greatest, and it's his own fault. He speaks so long and favorably about Paul Brown that I feel like he's the greatest. There just isn't much others have accomplished that Brady hasn't at this point. How many hall of famers on offense will he have played with? Randy Moss (no SB win) and Rob Gronkowski (too early for most, but I think he is one)? Peter King mentioned Matt Light in his MMQB column and that took me by surprise. I think Welker should be one too (again, no SB).

WickerBill
02-03-15, 03:27 PM
I think Brady is a very highly competent and competitive pilot of a tremendously coached team, one that can plug and play guys like no team I've ever seen before in any team sport. Brady is more physically gifted than Manning now, but it wasn't always the case -- but what he has that Manning doesn't is passion and fire. Closest comparison has to be Montana (who skewered him last week, btw, kind of unfairly), who was an underwhelming physical specimen on a good team with great coaches, and just worked and worked at the fundamentals.

My criteria for comparing quarterbacks is trying to imagine how many titles they would have won with other QBs' teams. As a homer example (even though Denver isn't my home..hmm..) I don't believe Montana can get those 80s Broncos teams to the Super Bowl throwing to Vance Johnson and Mark Jackson and having Sammy Winder as his RB. But I think Elway, Marino, and Fouts can all win titles with those 80s SF teams. So for today's QBs, could Brady have won if QB of the 2006 Colts? Yes (and probably the 2004 Colts and 2013 Broncos, too). Manning's numbers are a result of a great QB mind, yes, but also a passing offense that more often than not wilted in the postseason due to lack of a running game. So Brady is definitely the best of this generation.

I cannot believe I'm writing this. My current job forces me to be unbiased and it's bleeding in to my sports zealotry. Crud.

dando
02-03-15, 04:30 PM
It's weird. I don't see Belichick as the greatest, and it's his own fault. He speaks so long and favorably about Paul Brown that I feel like he's the greatest. There just isn't much others have accomplished that Brady hasn't at this point. How many hall of famers on offense will he have played with? Randy Moss (no SB win) and Rob Gronkowski (too early for most, but I think he is one)? Peter King mentioned Matt Light in his MMQB column and that took me by surprise. I think Welker should be one too (again, no SB).

Brown was an innovator before his time. Some of his innovations:

Brown is credited with a number of American football innovations. He was the first coach to use game film to scout opponents, hire a full-time staff of assistants, and test players on their knowledge of a playbook.[1] He invented the modern face mask, the taxi squad and the draw play. He also played a role in breaking professional football's color barrier, bringing some of the first African-Americans to play pro football in the modern era onto his teams.[2] Despite these accomplishments, however, Brown was not universally liked.[3] He was strict and controlling, which often brought him into conflict with players who wanted a greater say in play-calling. These disputes, combined with Brown's failure to consult Modell on major personnel decisions, led to his firing as the Browns' coach in 1963

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brown

The article fails to note that he was also the first HC to utilize players to shuttle plays from the sideline to the huddle.

Brown was also the first HC to win a college national championship and NFL championship. As noted in the article, a feat not matched until Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer (putz). His success with the Browns was obviously helped by a fella named Jim Brown, who is widely viewed as the greatest player ever. His impact was felt long after he retired from coaching the Bengals in 1975. The Bengals were a better than average team with Brown as owner, but ran into the Steelers buzz saw in the 70s. He did manage two SBs as owner, tho. The Bengals swooned for well over a decade when PB passed in 1991 and the keys were turned over to Mike Brown. :saywhat: :irked: Arguably the laughing stock of the NFL much like the Browns are today (irony?).

Side note that may only interest me: Brown coached the Great Lakes Bluejackets after his stint at tOSU. A fact I did not know, and explains the naming of the Columbus Blue Jackets of the NHL. I do not recall this ever being mentioned when the CBJs were formed and named in 98/99. The name was always explained as a tribute to the Union Army uniforms, many of which were produced in Ohio during the Civil War. Interesting.

Anyway, I have a difficult time placing the greatest ever title on athletes/coaches. The game changes between eras, much like MLB, NHL, NBA. It's just impossible to compare between eras equally.

</sermon> :)

dando
02-03-15, 04:33 PM
My criteria for comparing quarterbacks is trying to imagine how many titles they would have won with other QBs' teams. As a homer example (even though Denver isn't my home..hmm..) I don't believe Montana can get those 80s Broncos teams to the Super Bowl throwing to Vance Johnson and Mark Jackson and having Sammy Winder as his RB. But I think Elway, Marino, and Fouts can all win titles with those 80s SF teams. So for today's QBs, could Brady have won if QB of the 2006 Colts? Yes (and probably the 2004 Colts and 2013 Broncos, too). Manning's numbers are a result of a great QB mind, yes, but also a passing offense that more often than not wilted in the postseason due to lack of a running game. So Brady is definitely the best of this generation.

And what would Bradshaw have been w/o the Steel Curtain, Harris, Swan, Stallworth, etc.? Apples to oranges comparing Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, etc. IMO. I will, however, give Montana cred for winning his first SB with a less than stellar supporting cast, but it was also against the Bungles. :gomer:

Gnam
02-03-15, 09:27 PM
On the radio yesterday, John Madden called it the best game he's ever seen.

For me watching the Seahawks lose in such a crushing manner was almost as satisfying as watching the 49ers win a Super Bowl.
I don't root for the Patriots, but I love this win.

Napoleon
02-04-15, 07:09 AM
Side note that may only interest me: Brown coached the Great Lakes Bluejackets in the AAFC after his stint at tOSU. A fact I did not know, and explains the naming of the Columbus Blue Jackets of the NHL. I do not recall this ever being mentioned when the CBJs were formed and named in 98/99. The name was always explained as a tribute to the Union Army uniforms, many of which were produced in Ohio during the Civil War. Interesting.

Huh? He coached the Browns in the AAFC for 4 years before then, the Colts and 49ers moved to the NFL.

nrc
02-04-15, 09:31 AM
Huh? He coached the Browns in the AAFC for 4 years before then, the Colts and 49ers moved to the NFL.

Brown coached the Great Lakes Naval Academy during a stint in the Navy during the war.

Insomniac
02-04-15, 10:25 AM
Brown was an innovator before his time.

You don't have to convince me. Innovations do slow over time typically, so it's hard to blame current coaches for not making step changes to the way the game is played. In this era, Belichick has shown how to sustain success. Now, they had the most important position squared away and that is needed, but the rest of the pieces were all assembled through discipline. When Brady retires, I don't think NE will suddenly suck until they get another HoF QB.

Insomniac
02-04-15, 01:16 PM
My theory on how the Patriots played the end of the game.

I think Belichick/Ernie Adams figured their best chance to win was stopping them so they wanted to use the clock to their advantage. Say they let them just score, that leaves them 1 minute and 2 TOs best case scenario (they let Lynch score on 1st down). The game had been all touchbacks outside of the kickoff following Baldwin's penalty. So they start on the 20 yd line. They need to get 48 yds to try a 50 yd FG to tie the game for OT. So, a short pass is between 6-8s of game time. Best case, that's 9-10 plays to get 48 yds. Seattle is not going to get beat deep and will be trying to keep players in bounds. NE averaged 5.2 yds per play. That's 47-52 yds (46-51-yd FG). That's my thinking at the time. Well, not with any of the numbers, just that they were hoping to stop them and run out the clock any way they can. I'd expect DPI, holding, whatever to run out time (what they should've done on the end of first half TD).

I also don't think there was any chance they were going to take an intentional safety after that. I remember a clip of Belichick quite a few years ago where he was quizzing Marquise Hill about goal line situations. Asked him what happens if the offense is backed up on the goal line and get a penalty? "The penalty is like 1 inch". If they get you to jump, they get an easy 5 yards. Brady wasn't snapping that ball on the first play. Then they would've tried to sneak. They would've made Seattle get the safety, not give it to them.

dando
02-04-15, 02:20 PM
The Browns need to change their name to the Charlie Browns. Manziel, Gordon, and now GM Farmer is being investigated for texting to the field during the 6-Jan game (our new gate is Textgate). Use of electronic devices (other than the Surfaces) is strictly verboten. Fine, suspension, and/or loss of draft pick(s) possible.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_browns_ray_farmer_su.html

EDIT: And don't forget the Haslam Flying J shenanigans that exploded just when he was taking over ownership. What a fuster cluck.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_browns_ray_farmer_su.html

Napoleon
02-04-15, 05:51 PM
The Browns need to change their name to the Charlie Browns. Manziel, Gordon, and now GM Farmer is being investigated for texting to the field during the 6-Jan game (our new gate is Textgate). Use of electronic devices (other than the Surfaces) is strictly verboten. Fine, suspension, and/or loss of draft pick(s) possible.

EDIT: And don't forget the Haslam Flying J shenanigans that exploded just when he was taking over ownership. What a fuster cluck.

Now it looks like the Indians are jealous and trying to get into the act with an alleged sexual assault by one of their players.

dando
02-04-15, 10:10 PM
Now it looks like the Indians are jealous and trying to get into the act with an alleged sexual assault by one of their players.

Cleared.

Tom Reed retweeted
Zack Meisel ‏@ZackMeisel 5h5 hours ago
No charges will be filed against Cleveland Indians' Danny Salazar in Jan. 22 Hustler Club incident: http://s.cleveland.com/S5OO1XO via @hoynsie

nrc
02-05-15, 12:57 PM
Just a little more schadenfreude. Pete Carrol wired during the Super Bowl...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000468183/Carroll-wired-during-Super-Bowl-XLIX

Gnam
02-05-15, 01:41 PM
http://s23.postimg.org/lu8wysvqz/i0_Drlje.jpg

Don Quixote
02-05-15, 05:38 PM
Just a little more schadenfreude. Pete Carrol wired during the Super Bowl...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap3000000468183/Carroll-wired-during-Super-Bowl-XLIXThat is awesome.

chop456
02-06-15, 02:40 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10922770_10153056855826100_6468412183778896483_n.j pg?oh=e76cd220d8cd095faf9f7ff42dce641a&oe=554D6671&__gda__=1431697806_afd42572c364dcc5a0d8b6f357524dc 4

Napoleon
05-06-15, 02:01 PM
Patriots probably deflated footballs on purpose, report says. (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/sports/patriots-probably-deflated-footballs-on-purpose-report-says.html)

nrc
05-06-15, 04:54 PM
Equipment Manager Jastremski and locker room attendant McNally (no relation to Cincy's Jim McNally) need to be fired and probably banned from the NFL. It's pretty clear if you read the report that they had a system and conspired to do this.

It's also pretty clear that they did it in response to ongoing pressure from Brady to give him softer balls. It appears that he may have paid them off with autographed items. I haven't read all the way through the report but it sounds as though Brady may deserve a suspension as well.

dando
05-06-15, 10:03 PM
Equipment Manager Jastremski and locker room attendant McNally (no relation to Cincy's Jim McNally) need to be fired and probably banned from the NFL. It's pretty clear if you read the report that they had a system and conspired to do this.

It's also pretty clear that they did it in response to ongoing pressure from Brady to give him softer balls. It appears that he may have paid them off with autographed items. I haven't read all the way through the report but it sounds as though Brady may deserve a suspension as well.

One of the idiots on E$PN Radio (Sedano is solo since Stink left the show, and I assume will be leaving E$PN with his contract up this summer)...anyway, he sided with a listener that suggested the NFL should just let teams have balls as they want. :saywhat: :shakehead:

Insomniac
05-07-15, 09:41 AM

First, it's clear that something happened. Second, it's not clear from the report that there was a system and they conspired to do this. That's why the report so painstakenly says "more likely than not" and "more probable than not".

Brady obstructed. The Patriots blocked a follow-up with McNally. I certainly get your conclusion (mine is the same), but the report does not expose a system. They don't talk about any other game beyond texts referencing two other games. They don't indicate any investigation into any other games. They solely focused on the one game, and used the texts to help form their conclusion.

So if we believe the report and the texts, what about the Jets game where the Patriots tested those game balls and found them to be inflated to 16? Were those texts false? How come their system failed that game? Also, how did the Patriots deflate the balls in Indianapolis?

My takeaway is the balls were tampered with based on the scientific evidence. The obvious culprit is McNally in the rest room. Brady blocked investigation into his texts, but we do have the other side of the conversation from the other person. Brady probably has plausible deniability at most. At best, he pressured them into it. At worst, he worked with them to figure out how they could get air out after the balls are inspected.

The one thing that I found interesting is Dean Pees was interviewed, but nothing is in the report about it. He was the defensive coordinator in NE until 2009. He has been in Baltimore since then. Did they interview him based on the Ravens warning the Colts or because he was thought to know something when he was with the organization.

Also, Bill Belichick deserves an apology.

Will they suspend Brady? NE opens the Thursday night kick off. Not a good look to have Brady suspended. We speculate a fine for sure, and if there is a suspension, maybe they wait until September to announce it so he can play during the appeal.

chop456
05-07-15, 09:43 AM
Also, Bill Belichick deserves an apology.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh:

Insomniac
05-07-15, 09:45 AM
One of the idiots on E$PN Radio (Sedano is solo since Stink left the show, and I assume will be leaving E$PN with his contract up this summer)...anyway, he sided with a listener that suggested the NFL should just let teams have balls as they want. :saywhat: :shakehead:

What's wrong with that? Rodgers wants them overinflated. The other team doesn't have to use them. There are pros/cons on having them too low, too high. I mean seriously, what affect does it really have to the game when 2 of the best want it on opposite ends of the spectrum? They both want to win and they both think it's better their way.

Insomniac
05-07-15, 09:47 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh:

In particular, we do not believe there was any wrongdoing or knowledge of wrongdoing by Patriots ownership, Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick or any other Patriots coach in the matters investigated.

No one thought he was clean in this. He was the mastermind.

chop456
05-07-15, 09:51 AM
Right. Everyone's way off base for thinking he may have been involved in a cheating scandal. :laugh:

I wouldn't apologize to him if I ran over his dog. :thumbup:

Insomniac
05-07-15, 10:42 AM
Right. Everyone's way off base for thinking he may have been involved in a cheating scandal. :laugh:

I wouldn't apologize to him if I ran over his dog. :thumbup:

I'm not talking about you. More the people who went on TV, radio and wrote articles that declared him guilty. They were so wrong and their agenda was front and center. They don't like him. No one will, but much like the completely false report that the Patriots taped the Rams walkthrough, it's just a footnote.

Also, I came back to add this. That is really a horrible thing to say and be proud. You don't even know Belichick. I get you don't like him, but geez.

WickerBill
05-07-15, 11:40 AM
Solution:

- Game balls are brought by the league, rubbed / oiled / scuffed to one standard, performed by machine, that everyone has to deal with. The only time a team touches the ball is on the field. Teams get balls from Wilson for practice that have been through the identical break-in process.
- K balls will also be broken in to a standard, which is altered for both teams based on air temp. Again, nobody touches the K balls except on the field.

This does a few things:

- avoids cheating and the opportunity to cheat
- allows the league to ensure the offense cannot know for sure which ball they will receive (similar to a racing series having all motors in crates and randomly assigning them to teams), so a reduction in possibility of any outside interference or favoritism
- gives QBs something to cry about, but in reality all fans will know that every QB has to use the exact same ball PSI and scuff
- gets rid of NY Post "balls" headlines

The current way of ball handling is preposterous. It is only because of the insanely slow pace of play of football that it's even possible. Basketball, hockey, soccer, etc. have every single player using the same ball/puck.

Baseball had this problem. Spitballs, scuffed balls, etc., made to the specification of one person (the pitcher). Solution? Any alteration to the ball is forbidden. DONE.

nrc
05-07-15, 12:09 PM
WB's idea is pretty much what I was going to suggest. Tumble the balls in some big hopper with a standard mix of abrasives and conditioners to prepare them and have the officials keep control of them at all times. Everyone plays from the same set. I wouldn't even make allowance for kicking balls. The kicking game has gotten too good anyway.

Gnam
05-07-15, 01:36 PM
Tom Brady and the New England Patriots beat the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl in the most soul crushing manner possible.

I give them a free pass on this one. After all, it's just air. ;)

nrc
05-07-15, 03:36 PM
First, it's clear that something happened. Second, it's not clear from the report that there was a system and they conspired to do this. That's why the report so painstakenly says "more likely than not" and "more probable than not".

Brady obstructed. The Patriots blocked a follow-up with McNally. I certainly get your conclusion (mine is the same), but the report does not expose a system. They don't talk about any other game beyond texts referencing two other games. They don't indicate any investigation into any other games. They solely focused on the one game, and used the texts to help form their conclusion.

While the report focused on one game, the evidence they gathered showed that McNally was referring to himself as "the deflator" before the 14-15 season. In that context suggested that he had some information that would be of interest to ESPN even then. When discussing ball inflation in October Jastremski mentions the stress that McNally must have had "getting them done." This all suggests that it was an ongoing effort.

Based on that information, I think that McNally had a process for deflating balls with a needle and he would do it whenever the opportunity presented itself. I think that was normally after the balls where delivered to the sideline while officials were distracted with other duties. I think he took the balls from the officials locker room in this case (which Walt Anderson says was unprecedented) because of concerns over being caught doing it on the sidelines in such big game. Yes, this is all conjecture on my part but it's the simplest explanation for the conversations that have been revealed.

So if we believe the report and the texts, what about the Jets game where the Patriots tested those game balls and found them to be inflated to 16? Were those texts false? How come their system failed that game? Also, how did the Patriots deflate the balls in Indianapolis?

Unfortunately they didn't pursue a broad examination of how diligent NFL officials are about checking and setting pressures and controlling the balls through the rest of the year. It would be interesting to know whether the crew in the Jets game was as diligent as Walt Anderson seemed to be. I don't rule out the possibility that Jastremski was exaggerating to convince McNally of the need to deflate the balls.

cameraman
05-07-15, 04:05 PM
Solution:

- Game balls are brought by the league, rubbed / oiled / scuffed to one standard, performed by machine, that everyone has to deal with. The only time a team touches the ball is on the field. Teams get balls from Wilson for practice that have been through the identical break-in process.
- K balls will also be broken in to a standard, which is altered for both teams based on air temp. Again, nobody touches the K balls except on the field.

This does a few things:

- allows the league to ensure the offense cannot know for sure which ball they will receive (similar to a racing series having all motors in crates and randomly assigning them to teams), so a reduction in possibility of any outside interference or favoritism
- gives QBs something to cry about, but in reality all fans will know that every QB has to use the exact same ball PSI and scuff

The current way of ball handling is preposterous. It is only because of the insanely slow pace of play of football that it's even possible. Basketball, hockey, soccer, etc. have every single player using the same ball/puck.

Baseball had this problem. Spitballs, scuffed balls, etc., made to the specification of one person (the pitcher). Solution? Any alteration to the ball is forbidden. DONE.

This. That it isn't already the case is idiotic.

Insomniac
05-08-15, 10:27 AM
While the report focused on one game, the evidence they gathered showed that McNally was referring to himself as "the deflator" before the 14-15 season. In that context suggested that he had some information that would be of interest to ESPN even then. When discussing ball inflation in October Jastremski mentions the stress that McNally must have had "getting them done." This all suggests that it was an ongoing effort.

Based on that information, I think that McNally had a process for deflating balls with a needle and he would do it whenever the opportunity presented itself. I think that was normally after the balls where delivered to the sideline while officials were distracted with other duties. I think he took the balls from the officials locker room in this case (which Walt Anderson says was unprecedented) because of concerns over being caught doing it on the sidelines in such big game. Yes, this is all conjecture on my part but it's the simplest explanation for the conversations that have been revealed.

Unfortunately they didn't pursue a broad examination of how diligent NFL officials are about checking and setting pressures and controlling the balls through the rest of the year. It would be interesting to know whether the crew in the Jets game was as diligent as Walt Anderson seemed to be. I don't rule out the possibility that Jastremski was exaggerating to convince McNally of the need to deflate the balls.

The problem is, the Wells investigation didn't even go down that route, but included just enough information (some texts) to make that leap with no facts. I can't believe it took them 3 months to come to this only. I figured the scope had expanded to other games, the league office, procedures in general, etc.

I don't think McNally did it on the sidelines. He's been characterized as a "ball boy" by the media, but that's not really true. He's on the sidelines, but not handling the footballs during the game. He'd have to get them from someone on the sideline. But that still does not explain 1. How it was done in Indianapolis (McNally does not travel) and 2. Why they didn't do it for the Jets game. If you leave room for the possibility that he was exaggerating, then there's also the possibility that all the texts were a joke as they claimed. I'm taking them all at face value.

I think that the rule for 12.5-13.5 is 70 years old. No one has thought about it in 70 years. The NFL wasn't stringent in enforcing it and they now have a mess. I also think the Patriots, specifically McNally, likely with assistance from Jastremski, and possibly at the request of Brady broke the rules the moment they started to tamper with the balls after the officials reviewed them. If they wanted it at 12.5, McNally was there to tell them and could ask them to recheck they are.

Insomniac
05-08-15, 10:40 AM
Solution:

This does a few things:

This makes sense to simplify it.

Manning and Brady lobbied the league to modify the previous procedure that let them work the balls right before the game. The NFL did it because it's all about scoring. They should just drop the pressure rule and be done with it or have preapproved/validated gauges provided to the crews to verify the pressure is correct/set the game balls. Then the refs should carry them on/off the field. I'm sure they can handle that.

They also need to go back to the way they did things. If a problem is reported before a game, send a memo to all teams. If they still do it (Spygate) then nail them. This was very bad for the league.

nrc
05-08-15, 01:58 PM
The problem is, the Wells investigation didn't even go down that route, but included just enough information (some texts) to make that leap with no facts. I can't believe it took them 3 months to come to this only. I figured the scope had expanded to other games, the league office, procedures in general, etc.

I don't think McNally did it on the sidelines. He's been characterized as a "ball boy" by the media, but that's not really true. He's on the sidelines, but not handling the footballs during the game. He'd have to get them from someone on the sideline. But that still does not explain 1. How it was done in Indianapolis (McNally does not travel) and 2. Why they didn't do it for the Jets game. If you leave room for the possibility that he was exaggerating, then there's also the possibility that all the texts were a joke as they claimed. I'm taking them all at face value.

I misread a note in the report. The common opportunity for tampering is actually still in the locker room while the balls are still there but officials are dealing with pre-game duties. McNally may have altered this routine because of how busy the locker room was prior to the playoff game. From the report:

Whether McNally frequently, infrequently or never leaves the Officials Locker Room before the game officials
depart for the field is not determinative of whether there has been an opportunity to tamper with game balls
during the regular season. The game officials we interviewed—when considering the potential for tampering
with the game balls—almost uniformly expressed greater concern that a locker room attendant generally has up
to fifteen or twenty minutes alone with the game balls when the game officials are on the field for the pre-game
walk-through approximately fifty minutes before kickoff (and after the balls have been inspected).

It's not really known whether the balls at Indy were under pressure. The Colts reported that they felt like they were but that may have just been confirmation bias based on the rumors that they had heard around the league.

It will be really interesting to see how the league handles this.

dando
05-08-15, 02:17 PM
PFT reporting penalties could be announced this afternoon.

According thto http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/myers-roger-goodell-suspend-tom-brady-deflategate-article-1.2215881, suspension coming next but no details on how long.

Insomniac
05-08-15, 09:11 PM
I misread a note in the report. The common opportunity for tampering is actually still in the locker room while the balls are still there but officials are dealing with pre-game duties. McNally may have altered this routine because of how busy the locker room was prior to the playoff game. From the report:

It's not really known whether the balls at Indy were under pressure. The Colts reported that they felt like they were but that may have just been confirmation bias based on the rumors that they had heard around the league.

It will be really interesting to see how the league handles this.

I feel like the more I talk about this, I am getting more and more confused about what the point was. For a guy who has his daily schedule mapped out for the next 2-3 years, why did he want the balls below pressure, but only be able to get that before home games? I'm now left with "for bad weather games" if it was an ongoing thing. But seems like too much is left to chance. Get used to 12.5 PSI and be done with it.

I don't see what the league can really do. There's no admission of guilt from anyone. The report leans toward guilt and general idea of what was happening. Brady didn't tamper with the balls himself, can't say he ordered it from the report. They have him for not fully cooperating. I can't see more than 2 games for that. This idea of a full year is absurd in my view. No one in the league has even contended that there is a competitive advantage. My final guess is they suspend him 1 game and 1 game check which would be $1M. Then it gets messy with appeals, arbitration and a lawsuit if the suspension is not overturned. I think no matter what, he's going to have to deal with the consequences of not fully cooperating and everyone else will just assume he's a cheater.

Insomniac
05-10-15, 05:34 PM
Well, this is interesting:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/10/pressure-gauge-discrepancies-undermine-wells-report/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/10/wells-report-disregards-andersons-best-recollection-on-a-key-piece-of-evidence/

I maybe shouldn't have assumed the scientific stuff was all correct and skipped that section. :)

Everyone is innocent! ;)

Napoleon
05-11-15, 10:06 AM

Insomniac
05-11-15, 12:22 PM
Or Ray Lewis.

Don Quixote
05-11-15, 12:26 PM
:rofl:

Napoleon
05-11-15, 04:21 PM
Or Ray Lewis.

Funny thing is when I first saw this I thought "wait, Ray Lewis isn't in the picture". That tells you something that they had multiple players to pick from when they were looking for a picture for this.

dando
05-11-15, 05:37 PM
4 games for Brady, lost picks for Pats, fines. Hammer down.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Filed to ESPN: Tom Brady suspended four games, Pats lose 1st round pick in 2016 and a 4th in 2017, and team fined $1 million, per source:

EDIT: linky

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12867594/punishments-handed-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-deflategate

Gnam
05-11-15, 06:04 PM
Sept 10: Pittsburgh
Sept 20: Buffalo
Sept 27: Jacksonville
Oct 11: Dallas

So, the Patriots go 2-2 to open the season, with no effect on their Divisional record. Not so bad.
Brady comes back against Indianapolis in October, and is fresh for the rest of the season.

If they really wanted to punish Brady, they would make the Patriots trade him to Oakland.

TKGAngel
05-11-15, 06:57 PM
Sept 10: Pittsburgh
Sept 20: Buffalo
Sept 27: Jacksonville
Oct 11: Dallas

So, the Patriots go 2-2 to open the season, with no effect on their Divisional record. Not so bad.
Brady comes back against Indianapolis in October, and is fresh for the rest of the season.

If they really wanted to punish Brady, they would make the Patriots trade him to Oakland.

The Bills Mafia :rolleyes: are already calling that 9.20 game a must-win. On a beautiful fall day with a well-lit, loud, rumbly crowd, you gotta Bill-eve. Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills and all that jazz.

I cannot wait to see what the tabs use as their headlines tomorrow.

Gnam
05-11-15, 08:01 PM
Know your New England Patriots' backup QB:

http://s21.postimg.org/yxq3aqpif/b0kxxnaigaa8ysj.jpg

#10 Jimmy Garoppolo

1. The last named is pronounced Ga-ROPP-uh-low.
2. He is 23-years-old, stands 6-foot-2, and weighs 225 pounds.
3. Patriots drafted him in 2nd round in 2014.
4. Played college ball at Eastern Illinois. Tony Romo's alma mater.
5. Won Walter Payton award (Heisman Trophy for small schools).
6. NFL career numbers: 6 games last year (with no starts) and completed 19 of 27 passes for 182 yards, one TD and zero picks.
7. Lost to Buffalo 17-9.
8. Looks like Aladdin.

http://s30.postimg.org/6w5wh5lxt/nike_patriots_965.jpg

Insomniac
05-12-15, 09:43 AM
This is far from over. I think the team punishment was way too far. Brady put himself in position to get nailed. It's going to be an interesting summer.

indyfan31
05-12-15, 09:56 AM
Wait a minute. Brady comes back from suspension just in time to play the Colts? Is it just me or does this reek of ratings bonanza?
I just wouldn't put it past Goodell to try and engineer this. :saywhat:

dando
05-12-15, 11:25 AM
This is far from over. I think the team punishment was way too far. Brady put himself in position to get nailed. It's going to be an interesting summer.

Brady will appeal, but Kraft is already on the record stating they the Pats will accept any penalties. Is he a man of his word or Brady?