PDA

View Full Version : Max Papis on Twitter

Mary
07-27-14, 02:21 PM
Max Papis posted this on Twitter yesterday with a photo taken from the pits at mindy:

How in the word CART thought they could do without @IMS still puzzle me .... #arrogance

Prompted a few negative replies, including a couple from yours truly, and a few positive :flaming: ones, but he didn't get drawn into a Twitter war.

I never knew he was such an Indy guy; has he raced there in the IRL? I follow him on Twitter (which is why I saw this) but in recent years only have seen him in an occasional NASCAR race. I know he married one of Emmo's daughters, but that's about all I know of him these days.

Speaking of OT Twitter, Lewis Hamilton seemed so dejected after qualifying yesterday (fire in Hungary) that Alex Zanardi sent him a 'still believe' tweet!

Mary

gjc2
07-27-14, 03:48 PM
He must have a short memory. The split was started by TG. Was CART expected give in and close up shop? Also, dose he remember the original “vision” was for the series to be all ovals with all (mostly) American drivers. The Champ Car community knew it would be tough going without Mindy they weren’t arrogant.

mapguy
07-27-14, 03:54 PM
Papis is self absorbed plick. His mouth wrote checks his talent couldn't cash.

gjc2
07-27-14, 04:09 PM

Lucky for him that his father in-law could cash any check he writes.

TravelGal
07-27-14, 08:15 PM

Word.

SteveH
07-27-14, 08:27 PM

Exactly.

Didn't he say at the end of his time with CART or ChampCar that the series needed him more than he needed the series? Something like that....

Dvdb
07-27-14, 10:23 PM
Never really had a problem with Max when he drove Sports cars..........."Mad Max" and all.

He is spotting for someone (Ty Dillon?) which is probably an indication of how far he has fallen and where his priorities are. I think he gets a ride for some NASCAR road courses still.

NismoZ
07-27-14, 11:44 PM
AND, if he bumps into somebody in a NASTRUK road race, that guy's girlfriend gets to smack him in the head.;)

pfc_m_drake
07-28-14, 07:18 AM
He must have a short memory. The split was started by TG. Was CART expected give in and close up shop? Also, dose he remember the original “vision” was for the series to be all ovals with all (mostly) American drivers. The Champ Car community knew it would be tough going without Mindy they weren’t arrogant.Don't forget about the 25/8 thing either.

dirtyboy
07-29-14, 03:35 AM
The most surprising thing is he has 87.3k followers. I would've bet big money on 5000 or less.

opinionated ow
07-29-14, 05:56 AM
The most surprising thing is he has 87.3k followers. I would've bet big money on 5000 or less.

you can buy followers...a certain former australian PM did that to convince the nation of his popularity.

Chief
07-29-14, 10:14 AM
His entire Youtube playlist (compiled by hisownself) consists of him getting slapped....and crashing. :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tW0BxgwpdU

But this will forever define him.... :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UvfHUGExW8

datachicane
07-29-14, 11:59 AM
I recall at one of the town hall meetings way back when a Max fan asked Pook why he'd just lost his ride, and Pruett outright dared Pook to tell the real reason... :eek::laugh:

stroker
07-29-14, 05:00 PM
I recall at one of the town hall meetings way back when a Max fan asked Pook why he'd just lost his ride, and Pruett outright dared Pook to tell the real reason... :eek::laugh:

I wonder what that might have been...?

datachicane
07-29-14, 05:45 PM
IIRC it was the Fernandez seat he'd lost, I'd always assumed it was some personal, umm, indiscretion.

pfc_m_drake
07-29-14, 09:53 PM
But this will forever define him.... :p

I was at that race and to be honest, that one was all on Cindric. They actually had telemetry problems all race long (I had them on the scanner periodically and as I recall they lost everything at the 'Gentlemen' command - though they might have gotten it back at some point). Being questionable on fuel after your last stop there was no need to go out gapping the field over the last 10 laps. Go full lean and use overtake as necessary if Kanaan gets close enough. Out and out flat blown strategy by Cindric.

On the other hand, my *favorite* Max Papis moment comes at Fontana in 2000. It was during the morning warm-up on race day (sadly I doubt any video exists). It was *very* cold and the track was damp because it was early in the morning. So they throw the green flag on the morning warm-up and pretty much everybody is running 80-100 mph on the apron...wearing in new wheel bearings, spreading grease, etc.

Everybody except Max, that is. He comes rolling around turn 4 and drops the hammer - thunders down the front stretch about as high as you can go on the racetrack, and proceeds to bury it into the turn 1 wall. Truly one of the most idiotic moves I've seen on a racetrack...and that's any racetrack, anywhere.

TRDfan
07-30-14, 09:31 AM
It's Max's world, we all just live in it.

But nice to relive some memories, no matter how odd they are.

G.
07-30-14, 10:26 PM
His entire Youtube playlist (compiled by hisownself) consists of him getting slapped....and crashing. :laugh:

Max knows that the path to making auto racing more popular is to promote the drivers. The drama and personalities are most important.
He's a smart feller...

/S

Mary
08-03-14, 01:57 PM
Never really had a problem with Max when he drove Sports cars..........."Mad Max" and all.

He is spotting for someone (Ty Dillon?) which is probably an indication of how far he has fallen and where his priorities are. I think he gets a ride for some NASCAR road courses still.

I remembered his name from F1, but didn't really pay attention to him until a spectacular drive one year in the Daytona 24 hour race. He drove the hell out of a IIRC, Momo Ferrari. At the time I remember thinking that someone should offer him a Champ Car ride. Maybe it was still Indy car then, I no longer remember. His team didn't win Daytona, but he killed it in the last stint making up a lot of distance. Was jacked-up during his post-race interview, in a good way. I've been a fan ever since. I've got too many people on the X list now because they drank the koolaid. In any case, Max must have a little age on him now, so I suspect his truly competitive days are in the past. Maybe he should try a Twitter war. :laugh:

Mary