PDA

View Full Version : Now THAT'S More Like It!

NismoZ
07-13-14, 09:12 PM
Yacaman/Pla go flag-to-flag to win at Mosport for Oak Racing, Magnussen/Garcia finish P-6 overall to win for Corvette in GTLM and Viper finally wins in GTD. I was unable to see any of it but nice to have the "good":D sports cars squash the enemy on a true, natural terrain circuit. :thumbup: Looking forward to Indy and RA. Hittin' the road for those two.

TedN
07-16-14, 06:34 AM
That event was great viewing. Unfortunately, it may be the last time we in Canada see this series on TV. My cable company Cogeco dropped SPEED yesterday; Bell and Rogers had dropped it several months ago.

As Ron Fellows was being interviewed near the Corvette pitbox, I had to wonder how ironic it is that two of Canada's top race weekends (this one and the NASCAR truck race) won't be available to home fans. It's not right.

Ted

:(

Andrew Longman
07-16-14, 08:12 AM
We enjoyed the race weekend in person. My first time to Mosport and the viewing lines and the track itself easily are about the best around. Only Road Atlanta and maybe Road America might be better.

Tv coverage in the USA apparently sucked on Fox Sports. More than 1 of 3 hours was in commercials the no more than 6 minutes between ads. Unwatchable. Canada isn't going to be missing much if that's the available coverage.

mapguy
07-16-14, 06:12 PM
That event was great viewing. Unfortunately, it may be the last time we in Canada see this series on TV. My cable company Cogeco dropped SPEED yesterday; Bell and Rogers had dropped it several months ago.

As Ron Fellows was being interviewed near the Corvette pitbox, I had to wonder how ironic it is that two of Canada's top race weekends (this one and the NASCAR truck race) won't be available to home fans. It's not right.

Ted

I was surprised that it was broadcast live on FS one here. Especially since I only live 25 minutes away from the track. Went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't go this year as my personal jury is still out on the series 'merger'. I'll see how it goes for next year.

Rogue Leader
07-16-14, 08:26 PM
We enjoyed the race weekend in person. My first time to Mosport and the viewing lines and the track itself easily are about the best around. Only Road Atlanta and maybe Road America might be better.

Tv coverage in the USA apparently sucked on Fox Sports. More than 1 of 3 hours was in commercials the no more than 6 minutes between ads. Unwatchable. Canada isn't going to be missing much if that's the available coverage.

It was not that bad and nowhere nearly as bad as ALMS used to be. The commercials were somewhat frequent but they were only 30 seconds each.

gerhard911
07-16-14, 09:59 PM
Huh? I don't know what Fox feed you watched, but the commercial breaks were horrible! 30 seconds??? More like 2:30 per break and as previously stated, pretty much every 6-7 minutes. Fox regularly has 4 breaks per half hour plus they pimp their own shows for 15-20 seconds coming out of most commercial breaks. Motor mouth Diffey is the worst but Varsha is apparently trying to catch up.

And last year as ALMS with time buys there were WAY less commercials (although there were not that many broadcasts).

Rogue Leader
07-17-14, 06:50 PM
Huh? I don't know what Fox feed you watched, but the commercial breaks were horrible! 30 seconds??? More like 2:30 per break and as previously stated, pretty much every 6-7 minutes. Fox regularly has 4 breaks per half hour plus they pimp their own shows for 15-20 seconds coming out of most commercial breaks. Motor mouth Diffey is the worst but Varsha is apparently trying to catch up.

And last year as ALMS with time buys there were WAY less commercials (although there were not that many broadcasts).

I watched it on DVR and did ff the commercials but each break was for 1 commercial 30 seconds long. I kept accidentally fastforwarding the race because I didn't expect the break to end so quickly.

I don't know what you were watching but the breaks were not 2:30, but during the time buys they absolutely were.

gerhard911
07-17-14, 11:36 PM
Well, I recorded to my PC and edited out the commercials so I KNOW how many and long they were. Audi and Chevy both had a couple of the 30 second exclusive breaks but the others were ALL 2-3 minutes long. 17 in total.

After hacking all the commercials out, the 3 hour broadcast was reduced to 2:01:03. How many 30 second breaks would that be? :saywhat:

Rus'L
07-21-14, 09:52 AM
I watched it on DVR and did ff the commercials but each break was for 1 commercial 30 seconds long. I kept accidentally fastforwarding the race because I didn't expect the break to end so quickly.

I don't know what you were watching but the breaks were not 2:30, but during the time buys they absolutely were.

I have no clue what you were watching!

I taped the race (yes, the old fashion VCR) when it was aired live, and there were a TON of commericals. They alternated from the 30 seconds briefs to the 2:30-3:00 (depending on break) times. I know because my VCR has a quick fast forward button that skips 30 seconds. Everytime, I hit it four times and then had to hit it one or two more times. And they were done this way over and over and over...

There was no viewing momentum whatsoever even when I was able to fast forward through all these commericials. It was pathetic. Way, way, way worse than anything we had to experience with ALMS.

Rogue Leader
07-22-14, 12:22 AM
I really must not have been paying attention

TedN
08-24-14, 07:18 PM

Ted

Well I found a suitable solution to my predicament. I recently purchased a Samsung Smart PC Pro 700T 2-in-1 Laptop. It is running Windows 8 and has an on-board micro HDMI port. So I stream the races from imsa.com to the laptop and connect the laptop to my widescreen TV via 12' HDMI cable (one end micro, other end regular HDMI).

Tried it today watching the race from VIR. Works fine. And a bonus ... no commercials. Using the "source" button on the TV remote I can easily switch back and forth between the streamed race from the laptop and other TV channels playing thru the cable box.

Ted