PDA

View Full Version : Windows has taken a dump

TravelGal
07-08-14, 01:14 PM
Soooo, I'm typing an email and poof! Blue screen. Complete surprise. I rebooted "normally" and got the message below. I clicked on "look online for solutions" and it searched for a bit and then just went away.

Where am I on a scale of "who cares?" to "run and buy a new one before it self destructs"? TIA.

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 100000b8
BCP1: 85E1CD48
BCP2: 82B35380
BCP3: 85D72FD0
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\070814-23056-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Temp\WER-35786-0.sysdata.xml

Lux Interior
07-08-14, 01:43 PM
Switched to MAC and never looked back. The blue screen of death is bad. I think if you do a hard shutdown, then repeatedly hit the F8 key while booting up, it will take you to a screen that allows you to start in safe mode. If you computer works in safe mode, do a normal restart and sometimes that will fix it.

I think it's the F8 key - anyone?

TravelGal
07-08-14, 02:18 PM
It just restarted on its own. I chose regular, not safe, mode. It's working okay now. I THINK. :eek:

Kiwifan
07-08-14, 02:27 PM
Bugger Gal, not too good eh? I have had similar BSODs over the years and as Lux said try starting in Safe Mode, always worked for me. I tend to find it happens after I have installed one of those free programs from a PC magazine DVD.

I guess you have a robust Backup system in place? I use two Seagate removable drives as too many travel photos to lose. ;-)

Good luck, Rusty.

cameraman
07-08-14, 02:29 PM
Well you might check to see if there are some unfamiliar programs by looking at the Programs and Features control panel. Often at the machines at work new programs will suddenly appear due to folks surfing when they should be working.

Some tend to cause random weirdness, so it's worth a quick look.

KLang
07-08-14, 02:44 PM
Unless it starts happening over and over I wouldn't worry about. Windows does this stuff occasionally.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

WickerBill
07-08-14, 05:07 PM
Could be overheating.

SteveH
07-08-14, 05:19 PM
Could be overheating.

That happened to my son's PC at college. Opened the case and it was full of dust, etc. Easy fix.

TravelGal
07-09-14, 11:12 AM
Given the temperatures around here, I gave some thought to the overheating suggestion. I'll turn on an axillary fan in the area. We do pay attention to the dust in the case, as it happened to me once years ago. Thing stopped dead. Took it to the Geek Squad. When they opened the case, the dust was so hard packed, they picked it out in chunks.

Otherwise, you've all basically calmed my immediate fears but I think I'll start looking in earnest for a new unit. Five years in computer years is 100 in human years, especially when you spend all day on it the way I do. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

KLang
07-09-14, 12:02 PM
You left out the age of the machine in your earlier post. Probably good time to replace. Hope you're ready for Windows 8. :eek:

TravelGal
07-09-14, 01:08 PM
You left out the age of the machine in your earlier post. Probably good time to replace. Hope you're ready for Windows 8. :eek:

I forgot how old it was. It's just THERE. Like Mt. Rushmore. Window 8. Ugh. I'm still struggling with Word 2010!

WickerBill
07-09-14, 01:33 PM
If it does what you need it to do, and you can give it a good clean and avoid the blue screens -- why replace it with a faster, more difficult to use computer? I'm in IT, so yay when people buy new computers, but really, consider your goals to having a computer... if this computer meets them, just make sure you back it up 3x a week or so and don't worry about it until it's dead.

TravelGal
07-09-14, 07:21 PM
If it does what you need it to do, and you can give it a good clean and avoid the blue screens -- why replace it with a faster, more difficult to use computer? I'm in IT, so yay when people buy new computers, but really, consider your goals to having a computer... if this computer meets them, just make sure you back it up 3x a week or so and don't worry about it until it's dead.

I agree with you in both theory and practice but I do have to be ready when D U M P turns into D E A D so I'll start having a look now at what's out there.

I'm hoping to hold out until the Holiday sales. I'll have missed the back to school sales for sure by the time the dust clears in my office this summer. :\

Kiwifan
07-09-14, 09:09 PM
I thought it was always summer in California. :runs like Spicoli: :-)

gjc2
07-10-14, 06:37 AM
I forgot how old it was. It's just THERE. Like Mt. Rushmore. Window 8. Ugh. I'm still struggling with Word 2010!

You can still buy Windows 7 machines. 7 will continue to be supported for a few more years.

pfc_m_drake
07-10-14, 07:28 AM
I agree with you in both theory and practice but I do have to be ready when D U M P turns into D E A D so I'll start having a look now at what's out there.

I'm hoping to hold out until the Holiday sales. I'll have missed the back to school sales for sure by the time the dust clears in my office this summer. :\I think that WB is right in that you probably just overheated. My other thought would be possibly a memory (RAM) error.

I don't know how much diagnosis you're interested in doing, but there's three freeware programs that could help you isolate the issue:
1) Prime95
2) Memtest86
3) Furmark

Prime95 will stress the CPU (heating it up in the process). If you get a reboot while Prime95 is executing then it's probably an overheat.
Memtest86 will test the memory
Furmark will test the video card

That's probably more testing than you want to undertake, in which case I concur with WB's suggestion - just back up often and don't worry about it. If you're generally happy, then use it until it dies!

Tifosi24
07-10-14, 09:00 AM
You can still buy Windows 7 machines. 7 will continue to be supported for a few more years.

I haven't been in the market for about 12 months, but I can also confirm that Windows 7 was an option, albeit for an extra $100. I was in the market for a value computer, so I was stuck with Windows 8. Our son must really hate it, because he dumped water on the rig last week. Still hoping that I don't have to buy a new laptop (any suggestions on how to disable the physical laptop keyboard).

I just checked the MicroCenter website and there are a plethora of Windows 7 laptops available and at all use levels. I don't know how far Tustin, CA (Orange County) is from your location, but that is the only location in CA.

pfc_m_drake
07-10-14, 09:49 AM
I haven't been in the market for about 12 months, but I can also confirm that Windows 7 was an option, albeit for an extra $100. I was in the market for a value computer, so I was stuck with Windows 8. Our son must really hate it, because he dumped water on the rig last week. Still hoping that I don't have to buy a new laptop (any suggestions on how to disable the physical laptop keyboard).

I just checked the MicroCenter website and there are a plethora of Windows 7 laptops available and at all use levels. I don't know how far Tustin, CA (Orange County) is from your location, but that is the only location in CA.Alternatively you can purchase a PC with Windows 8.1 Pro and downgrade to Windows 7. Depending on the etailer/retailer that route may be more financially appealing.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=8-ZFNKjBGh7

TravelGal
07-10-14, 11:50 AM
Great info guys!

pfc, I actually enjoy testing because it's a good way to learn something. It could very well be the RAM because I have a very bad habit of opening and closing the same website (like this one) multiple times a day. I hate having a lot of open windows. :rolleyes: Also, I've had a sneaking suspicion the video card is going so that will be my first try.

Tifo, Tustin is drivable from here. Without looking, I'm guessing 50-60 miles. In California, that's nothing.

Kiwi, :p