PDA

View Full Version : RA Memo Crash

Turn7
07-01-03, 04:02 PM
I was cleaning up the computer and ran across this pic and it still amazes me that he wasn't injured severly in that crash.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/5b5f9e3d/bc/Misc/__hr_MemoCrash.jpg?bcWyeA_AFacsVwYK

Ankf00
07-01-03, 04:09 PM
geez...:eek:
lucky lucky lucky man.

JoeBob
07-01-03, 04:12 PM
Things were very quiet up on the hill overlooking turn 5 after that crash. My scanner picked up race control, and they didn't even know which car it was that had crashed. The first radio transmission from the scene was, "The car is car 12, the driver is code 5." I also heard them notify the safety team that the helicopter was being dispatched, and would be landing at the scene. (I also heard the ABC director tell Paul Page and Parker Johnstone that it was Memo, and that he was "Code 5.") (And the discussion on what to say when they cut into programming, as the race started late, and ABC had switched to golf.

I was amazed when somebody said the TV folks saw him moving. It was great to hear Dr. Olvey tell everyone that he was pretty much okay.

eiregosod
07-01-03, 04:12 PM
I remember ABC cut away from the race,anyone who saw the race live, knew that sometihing was up :(

Turn7
07-01-03, 04:15 PM
I never saw the car until I got home and saw this photo on the web.

I was in Canada Corner and saw his tire slip off the pavement and then over correct and in a blur, slam into the Billy Mitchell bridge and basically leave nothing behind but a cloud of vapor and raining fragements of carbon fiber.

I heard the code 5 call and decided not to go google and just stay where I was.

RaceChic
07-01-03, 04:24 PM
Freaky shot of his whole body visible in the tub shattering around him as well as his arms hanging down over his head. :eek:

TRDfan
07-01-03, 04:24 PM
Things turned quiet everywhere. I was in the Road America suite when the crash happened and "Code 5" came on the radio. A very scary moment for everyone.

Truly a horrific crash, and a miracle that Memo only had bruised knees.

Hink
07-01-03, 04:48 PM
I was up in the turn 4/5 area. One of many people with the chapo RA radios actually had one that worked. He asked around wanting to know what a code 5 was. With the straightest possible face I say, "I don't know."

Sean O'Gorman
07-01-03, 04:55 PM
I remember after the race went off ABC, I went and did something else around the house for about 10 minutes before going into 7G chat. First thing I saw was Code 5, its Memo. There was complete silence in the chat for about 10 minutes, and it was probably the only time I ever contemplated quitting watching racing. Memo is the only driver I really cheer for, and I was afraid we lost him. Fortunately it didn't end up that way, but I was spooked enough to the point where I don't think racing went through my mind for the rest of the day.

sundaydriver
07-01-03, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
I never saw the car until I got home and saw this photo on the web.

I was in Canada Corner and saw his tire slip off the pavement and then over correct and in a blur, slam into the Billy Mitchell bridge and basically leave nothing behind but a cloud of vapor and raining fragements of carbon fiber.

I heard the code 5 call and decided not to go google and just stay where I was.

I was there too. All I remember seeing is parts flying everywhere and thought Holy ****!

Lizzerd
07-01-03, 06:25 PM
I was in the woods at the time, making my way to the inside of turn 5. The little group I was with turned very somber when we heard Code 5 on my scanner. Eerie...

Wheel-Nut
07-01-03, 06:39 PM
I'm a non-scanner person so I'll ask, what is code 5?

JoeBob
07-01-03, 08:15 PM
The Safety Team has codes that they use to let the crew at the medical center/race control know the driver's condition. (The various codes require different levels of response.)

Code 1: No injury
Code 3: Injury requiring medical care and transport
Code 5: Life Threatening Injuries

SteveH
07-01-03, 08:28 PM
Sitting up on the hill but couldn't see his car as the new construction blocked the view. Heard Code 5, then heard the announce crew (Parker and Page maybe) on my scanner say off air how it reminded them of Greg Moore's crash. Seriously considered leaving at that moment. The only time I've heard it quieter on the hill was when Barron mounted Herta.

cartmanoz
07-02-03, 01:23 AM
I can't access the picture!

Sounds bad though...

RaceChic
07-02-03, 06:36 AM
Actually Code 4 is life threatening injuries and Code 5 is dead on scene. :(
At least it is here in Canada.

Turn7
07-02-03, 09:07 AM
Sorry cartmanoz,

It appears that Yahoo photos changes the url to prevent linking. I'll try ofoto.

http://images.ofoto.com/photos419/4/81/96/49/14/0/14499681405_0_ALB.jpg

Wheel-Nut
07-02-03, 09:08 AM
Thanks JoeBob

JoeBob
07-02-03, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Actually Code 4 is life threatening injuries and Code 5 is dead on scene. :(
At least it is here in Canada.

The CART Safety Team has their own set of codes, seperate from what regional medical teams, or other sanctioning bodies use. I've actually seen two sets of codes. Most of the sites that post CART Scanner Frequencies have this list:
Code 1 - Conscious & coherant. Uninjured.
Code 2 - Slightly disoriented, Mildly bruised.
Code 3 - Requires ambulance.
Code 4 - Requires helicopter. Serious injuries.
Code 5 - Life threatening injuries

7G had an "Ask the Safety team" thing going on (they still might, but it hasn't been updated in ages, you can find it here: http://www.seventhgear.com/html/features/QADetail.php?qa_cat=The%20Safety%20Team ) and Lon Bromley answered a question about the codes, and only gave 1, 3 and 5 in his answer.

RaceChic
07-02-03, 11:59 AM
That's good to know, JoeBob! If I had ever heard Code5 on a scanner in real time at a race, I think I would have freaked and felt very similar to how I felt when Greg Moore died. Thanks for saving me that awful shock. What is the code for deceased then? Or do they refrain from using it until it is made official at a medical centre and annonced to the public? Could get confusing and frightening to a medical person that overheard Code5 at a race and didn't know the slightly different meanings! :D

JoeBob
07-02-03, 12:29 PM
I don't think the SGST would pronounce a driver at the track, if at all possible. There's an unwritten rule that no driver dies at the track. Thats there way of saying that they'll do everything possible, and then some.

Fortunately, they haven't had to deal with that sort of thing often. Jeff Krosnoff and Greg Moore were both essentially killed instantly. They had no heartbeat, and were not breathing when the crew arrived on the scene. The safety team inserted breathing tubes, and attempted to save them at the track before being "transported to the hospital for further reccussative efforts" (I'll never forget the interview with Dr. Olvey when he said that about Greg Moore.)

Even Gonzalo Rodriguez was pronounced dead at the local hospital, and not at the track. (However, they didn't bother with the helicopter for him. It was clear that he was killed instantly, and nothing could be done to save him.)