PDA

View Full Version : TRDjr off to serve our country

TRDfan
07-06-14, 09:06 PM
Not sure how many of you remember my son Geoffrey (aka TRDjr) - years ago he colored a picture for Scott Dixon that was given to him by Derek Daly on CART Friday Night (filmed on a Thursday) from Siebkins. I actually got him to a couple races, he never really took to it, but he would watch sometimes with me to humor his old man.

This morning, he headed out to Marine Corps boot camp. Wow time flies. Becoming a military Dad/family is going to be a whole new thing. But the hardest thing is knowing I can't talk or text with him for 13 weeks. He is going into avionics, and is going to be an awesome Marine. The next time you are at a race and there is a fly over, think about all the young men and women who are taking the path to serve our country. Somehow, some way, I think we did something right raising him.

stroker
07-06-14, 09:28 PM
You most certainly did do something right raising him and I hope he's one of the Few that find the Marines to be their ladder to life's success. Good on him and OORAH!

:cool:

Elmo T
07-07-14, 08:32 AM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lux Interior
07-07-14, 09:30 AM
Good for him, and congratulations to you for raising a fine young man.

We need more folks like you.

nrc
07-07-14, 11:35 AM
Deep respect and well wishes for your young man. It gives me hope that while many in this country are stuck in a spiral of self-absorbed navel gazing there are still some willing to serve. :thumbup:

SteveH
07-07-14, 11:45 AM

indeed

TravelGal
07-07-14, 03:21 PM

indeed

Word. God bless you all. I'm so proud to know you.

RaceGrrl
07-07-14, 07:06 PM
I remember the story about the pic for Scott Dixon. Wow... hard to believe he's old enough to enlist! You must be very proud of raising a boy who understands what it means to serve. :thumbup:

Insomniac
07-08-14, 08:42 AM
You definitely raised him right, and should take pride in it. :thumbup:

TRDfan
07-08-14, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your kind comments everyone.

Got the call late last night that he had arrived safely. He snuck an "I love you" in to the scripted call.

Hope to see some folks at RA in August (The Hawk is a long shot too)

WickerBill
07-27-14, 05:26 PM
It's been 20 days... what's the status? How is he?

TravelGal
07-27-14, 08:09 PM
It's been 20 days... what's the status? How is he?

I was wondering the same thing although know it's hard to get news.

TRDfan
07-30-14, 09:34 AM
The info was slow to start, but now letters are arriving.

He is doing well, Squad Leader and Scribe for the Platoon. It's tough, but he keeps pushing.
We try to write lots of letters of encouragement.

I have a chart of the training schedule that I can mark off the days and see what is happening each day. Helps me feel a little more connected to him.

The grocery budget at home has shrank quite a bit, I bought a 1/2 gallon of milk. Not sure I ever did that before.

Anteater
08-01-14, 03:36 PM
Congratulations on raising such a fine young man, and please give TRDjr my thanks for serving our country!

devilmaster
08-04-14, 07:27 PM
:thumbup:

RTKar
08-12-14, 07:39 AM
Late to the party, good luck to him, stay safe and Thank You for his service :thumbup:

TRDfan
09-05-14, 10:20 PM
Tough day today.

My son called to let us know he is being dropped to the medical platoon for at least two weeks.
Pinched nerve in his shoulder refuses to get better. Such disappointment in his voice. I had just
sent him all the travel details for his 10 day leave home.

If anyone would like to send a short note of encouragement to a young recruit. Let me know.

TRDfan
10-15-14, 10:41 PM
Sorry there haven't been more frequent updates.

As I write this (Wednesday evening) he is in the middle of the Crucible. A 54 hour test of physical, mental, and emotional strength.
In the morning, he will earn the Eagle Globe and Anchor - and the title of Marine.

Next week, we will travel to San Diego for the Graduation ceremony. Then he comes home for 10 days.

This has been hard on us, but it has shown me how incredibly difficult it must be for families when their loved ones deploy to war zones for a year or longer. This is less than four months, and we always knew he was safe.

My appreciation for those that serve, and the families and friends that support those that serve grows stronger every day.

Thanks to those of you that have sent me words of encouragement, and to those that took time to send him a letter.

Gnam
10-16-14, 02:22 AM
I look forward to more updates. :thumbup:

The Marines are the deadliest fighting force on the planet, but they're still just kids.
Scary and silly at the same time.

http://youtu.be/R8qx5iyKn8Q

TRDfan
10-28-14, 09:29 PM

Home on 10 Day leave - eating everything in sight.

SteveH
10-28-14, 09:41 PM
Salute

TravelGal
10-31-14, 02:25 PM
I'm all choked up. So proud. Of him and you for supporting him. :thumbup:

nrc
10-31-14, 04:18 PM
Born again hard. :)