PDA

View Full Version : Please raise a glass for Guinness

nrc
07-06-14, 04:45 AM
Today we said goodbye to another member of our pack. Guinness was the last of our original pack of three Manchester Terriers. He was 17 years old and we were blessed to share that past twelve of those years with him.

This was one of the hardest choices that we've had to make for one of our four legged family members. Guinness was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease several years ago. Fortunately we were able to get it diagnosed early and we've been able to manage it much more effectively than with his former pack-mates. (All three of them had it so it seems that their line was predisposed. While this was sad, we don't fault the kennel since until recently the condition was rarely diagnosed in dogs. Usually the symptoms where just considered part of the aging process).

Guinness responded well to treatment and we made it through multiple battles with some of the side affects. Sadly, his condition worsened last year as he started to lose strength and coordination. Eventually he became unable to walk for more than a few steps. We had to steady him for his bathroom trips and while he ate. The choice was hard because aside from his disabilities he did not seem to be in any serious pain. It was his quality of life that was the problem.

He had been sleeping more and more - to the point where he was really only awake and alert for a few hours a day. I think we held out hope that he might die peacefully at home if we supported him a bit longer. Finally we accepted that holding out that hope might cause him to reach the point of real suffering or that he might just as likely die alone and not at all peacefully. So we gave him the last gift that we could, which was letting him go peacefully with us there to comfort him.

Guinness was a rescue of sorts. He was originally adopted by a local family from the same kennel from which we had adopted our other two Manchesters. The family's father was allergic to dogs and they had heard that the breed's lack of an undercoat might cause him less of a problem. Initially that was true, but eventually his sensitivity grew and an encounter with a dog blanket sent him to the emergency room. They called the breeder and asked to return Guinness (as required by the breeder's contract) since they could no longer have him around with the father's condition. The breeder called us since we were local and asked if we could pick him up from the family and take care of him until she could come to town and get him.

I still have vivid memories of the sorrow of that family in giving up their beloved pet with no real idea what would happen to him. Of course it didn't take long after we got him home to start considering adopting him ourselves. We had been considering adding another member to our pack anyway. So after discussion with the breeder, Guinness joined our family and we were able to offer some small comfort to the family that he would have a good life with a loving family.

Guinness was a wonderful dog. Mostly. He was friendly, handsome, smart, fastidious, and well behaved. Mostly. In fact, we soon discovered that he had a pretty severe problem with possessiveness both with toys and food. Guinness never really played with toys that much, but when he found a toy that he liked, he would carry it everywhere. Trying to get close to either his food or his favorite toys when he was obsessing over them would bring a snap or even a bite.

Breaking him of this became a project for me. We couldn't tolerate bites or attacks on other dogs the way he would do when he was protecting an object of obsession. So I worked with him and after a few months he was over the worst of his obsessiveness. Mostly - for a few years afterward he would still have occasional flare-ups but we kept working on it.

Guinness was so fastidious that we were able to keep the blanket that his original owners sent with him in his crate most of the time for the entire twelve years we had him. Of course it had regular washings, but it was rare for it to get all that dirty. In fact, one of Guinness's nicknames was Mr. Smellsgood because he seemed to always smell fresh and clean - the only exception being his feet which earned him another nickname - Mr. Fritos.

I know that many of you have your own beloved pets and have suffered similar losses. So it helps me to share this with you. Pouring out my thoughts like this is largely a cathartic exercise for my benefit. But it's also because Guinness was a good boy and we loved him dearly and he deserves for people to know that.

Godspeed, pal.

gjc2
07-06-14, 07:03 AM
I’ve been there a couple of times. All you can do is remember the joy and happiness Guinness brought into your home and take satisfaction in the fact that you gave him a good life.

The best tribute you can pay to him is to go to a dog shelter and save another life.

I will have a glass of Guinness, as a toast to Guinness, and I’ll give my little guy, Jack, a treat in his honor.

dando
07-06-14, 07:57 AM
:(

Thoughts and prayers to you and Missy, Boss.

SteveH
07-06-14, 08:05 AM
Sad news. Regardless of the reasons, that's a tough decision to make. Peace.

KLang
07-06-14, 09:37 AM
:( Sorry for your loss.

A glass will be raised this evening.

RaceGrrl
07-06-14, 12:17 PM
Guinness was definitely more Richard's buddy than mine. (Manchesters tend to become attached to one person in the household more than others in the home.) He liked to follow Richard when he mowed. He would balance a treat on his nose until we told him "ok" and then he'd toss it up and grab it. He was a cuddler. He was bossy but eventually trusted us enough to let us be the boss. It was that trust that burdened us at the end. So we did the right, but painful, thing.

This is one of my favorite pictures of Guinness:

trish
07-06-14, 12:22 PM
My condolences to you both. A beautiful dog and a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing.

Insomniac
07-06-14, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure it's hard for both of you. :(

TravelGal
07-06-14, 03:27 PM
I read every word with the care and respect your beautiful boy deserved. He was a beauty and so lucky to be adopted by a loving family and then rescued by the two of you. Heartaches are for real when there is so much love.

WickerBill
07-06-14, 03:32 PM
I've only been a dog owner for 8 years, so I've never gone through this and I dread the day I do. Thinking about you guys...

Andrew Longman
07-06-14, 03:57 PM
Been there. It sucks, except for all the joy and difference the little guy/gal brought up to the end. Even then I was glad to have had something so cherished to lose.

And I am more than happy to be here for your cathartic need. :)

You are in our thoughts. :(

Anteater
07-06-14, 08:36 PM
What a wonderful tribute to your special dog! So sorry for the loss of your beautiful Guinness. :(

nrc
07-07-14, 12:26 AM
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words. Now at least we're able to look back with fondness and enjoy the memories along with our old pictures and videos of Guinness. It is comforting to be reminded that he was not that frail shell that we left at the Vet's office.

Gnam
07-07-14, 01:24 AM
:( Sorry about your friend boss.

G.
07-14-14, 11:25 AM
He was loved.

pfc_m_drake
07-14-14, 07:56 PM