PDA

View Full Version : 5k training- running discussion

RaceGrrl
06-23-14, 09:51 AM
A few months ago I decided that I wanted to run a 5k in October. Yeah, I know- coming to it really late and not in the best shape- age 51, post-knee surgery and I hate sweating. :laugh: My company is the name sponsor for this 5K and at first I planned to walk it but if I can run even some of it it would be a first for me.

I bought good shoes from our local running store and on their advice I took the Good Form Running class which helped a lot. Prior to that I'd been trying to train using Active's Couch to 5K program and had about 6 weeks of various injuries- hamstring, MCL sprains before the class. Post class, no injuries and I can actually jog a little.

My main gripe with these programs is the inaccuracy of the GPS for distance. I tried Map My Run and it was ok, but I like the Zombie "trainer" in Active's app. I have not wanted to get a Fitbit but maybe I need to or maybe I need a GPS watch. Was hoping the smart people here have advice for a beginning runner.

SteveH
06-23-14, 10:10 AM
I have the Fitbit One. Can't say for certain how accurate it's distance measurements are since it is not GPS based. I entered what my stride was a year ago. Of course stride length varies based on the activity. But for my purposes its sufficient, it's all relative. I may or may not have already completed 5.75 miles this morning. Doesn't really matter, it's above my goal.

When I bike I use an iPhone app GPS Cycle which obviously uses GPS and seems to be very accurate. The app creator AppAnnex, LLC also sells GPS Running Watch Pro which appears to be nearly the same. Both creates a map of where you've biked/ran. Beware that GPS enabled apps suck batteries dry in no time at all. Be sure to be fully charged before you start your run.

opinionated ow
06-23-14, 10:36 AM
Grab Strava for your phone. Does it all including measuring distance, altitude and if you pay a premium you can hook it up with a heart rate monitor too. Works for bike or run.

Tifosi24
06-23-14, 11:43 AM
I will second Strava. I use it for walking and cycling and it is very accurate. I also have a VDO cyclometer and both are nearly identical. GPS watches can be rather expensive, so if you have a smartphone, Strava is the way to go in my opinion.

indyfan31
06-23-14, 12:10 PM
I tried Map My Run and it was ok, but I like the Zombie "trainer" in Active's app. I have not wanted to get a Fitbit but maybe I need to or maybe I need a GPS watch. Was hoping the smart people here have advice for a beginning runner.

"Smart" and "runner" don't always go together but here goes.
Don't sweat the small stuff. It's 3.1 miles, the accuracy of your GPS really is the least of your worries.

That said, I've owned Garmin wrist GPS devices for about 15 years and found them to be fairly accurate, if not a little generous.
I've also used Map my Run and it was very close to the Garmin. Just realize that you can cover the EXACT same distance every day and get a slightly different result from your device every day. Naturally, the more "open" the area you're running in the more accurate your results are going to be.

I've tried accelerometer based devices in the past and they weren't anywhere near as accurate as the GPS devices, they might have improved in the last few years.

If you're really into accurate results, a stopwatch and a track is your best bet. A rubberized track will also help prevent injuries . . . and you're a lot less likely to be hit by a car. :)

RaceGrrl
06-23-14, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info. The main reason I want to map it is so I don't end up undertraining. I know it's only 3 miles but you have to understand that until this point my primary exercise has been dance and not sustained aerobic. I'm not an outside kind of girl for the most part so if I'm walking/running I need to make sure I can make it to the end of the workout and be relatively accurate on distance. It probably hasn't helped that our neighborhood has a lot of mature trees so that might have an impact on the reading.

I went to Map My Run today and mapped out a couple of course variations that are 3 miles so I can just follow those and not have to really worry about what the app says. I have thought about getting a GPS watch. A coworker has one and loves it.

I completed my first 5k walk on Friday night with a group of fellow bellydancers. The Glo Run was just a fun run with friends but it was a good time for my first event. (Wouldn't have been able to run the whole thing anyway because it was dark, only 1.5miles of it was paved and the rest of the course was grass and sand horse track.)

Gnam
06-23-14, 02:02 PM
Hers and his window decals: ;)
http://s30.postimg.org/gix7tkbjx/5k_oval_running_decal_oval_stickers_re3c0b6efa68.j pg http://s9.postimg.org/vrcejv3q3/0_0.jpg
or
http://s3.postimg.org/ml53zii2b/tr1240sticker.jpg

nrc
06-23-14, 02:56 PM
I like to stick to distances that I can roll my desk chair. :)

indyfan31
06-23-14, 06:02 PM

Now THAT is how you dress for a "fun run/walk". :D

indyfan31
06-23-14, 06:10 PM
Are you planning on running the length of the race, and do you have some sort of training regimen/plan?

RaceGrrl
06-23-14, 07:21 PM
The running store gave me a training regimen that I've been following. I would love to run the whole thing but realistically I think I'll end up walking some, running some. I'm not going to push just for the sake of running it if I'm causing injuries during my workouts. Warming up by stretching has helped and focusing on form rather than speed/distance for now is my goal. If my breathing or form is wrong it won't do me any good to worry about speed because I'm going to end up hurting myself again anyway.

indyfan31
06-24-14, 12:03 PM
The running store gave me a training regimen that I've been following. I would love to run the whole thing but realistically I think I'll end up walking some, running some. I'm not going to push just for the sake of running it if I'm causing injuries during my workouts. Warming up by stretching has helped and focusing on form rather than speed/distance for now is my goal. If my breathing or form is wrong it won't do me any good to worry about speed because I'm going to end up hurting myself again anyway.

You might consider a combination of running/walking both in training and during the race.
Start out by walking 5 minutes and running 1 minute (or whatever ratio works for you), then slowly, over weeks, swing the ratio in the other direction as you progress through your training.
To this day I still run a mile and walk a minute all through a race. It's not fast but I enjoy the race and finish in good shape.

chop456
06-24-14, 01:10 PM
I like to stick to distances that I can roll my desk chair. :)

This.

I did walk 6+ miles a couple weeks ago and I'm still recovering. :D

Nice work, Grrl. :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
06-25-14, 08:35 AM
You might consider a combination of running/walking both in training and during the race.
Start out by walking 5 minutes and running 1 minute (or whatever ratio works for you), then slowly, over weeks, swing the ratio in the other direction as you progress through your training.
To this day I still run a mile and walk a minute all through a race. It's not fast but I enjoy the race and finish in good shape.

I expect that I'll probably do a combination of walk/run in races also. I'm only competing against myself so I don't care how I place in races.

The 5k training recommendations made by the running store recommends the ten week program below for training 3 to 4 times per week.

Week 1- Walk 30 minutes
Week 2- Walk 5.5 minutes, run 1 minute X 5 times
Week 3- Walk 5 minutes , run 1 minute X 5
Week 4- Walk 4 minutes, run 2 minutes, X 5
Week 5- Walk 2 minutes, run 4 minutes X 5
Week 6- Walk 1.5 minutes, run 6 minutes X 4
Week 7- Walk 2 minutes, run 8 minutes X 3
Week 8- Walk 1 minutes, run 9 minutes X 3
Week 9- Walk 1 minutes, run 14 minutes X 2
Week 10-Run 30 minutes

indyfan31
06-25-14, 09:53 AM
Looks great. Good luck and let us know how it went. :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
06-25-14, 01:26 PM
Will do... thanks for the advice!

SteveH
06-28-14, 10:56 AM
Fitbit just added GPS tracking to their One app. Haven't tried it yet.

TRDfan
07-06-14, 09:19 PM
I've used the Couch to 5k program a few times now with pretty good success. I didn't worry about distance at all until the last few weeks before my first 5k. I've never used any apps, just use Map My Run to measure distances and give it my best effort.

Just did my second 5k of the year yesterday. It was probably 60% running and 40% walking. Next one is scheduled for late August, hoping to run most of that one.

Good job in getting out there and trying - remember "Finishing is the new Winning!

RaceGrrl
10-06-14, 02:38 PM
Race was this past Saturday. I had to walk it because I've continued to have one injury after another. My goal was to walk it in under an hour. Finished in 49:19 minutes, so I'm pretty happy with that. Even if I can't run I'll continue to do these races because the training is good for me, it's social time with my friends and there's some donation to charity in the races I enter.

Pic of the happy team afterwards and my race swag- tech shirt, medal and wine. (Oh look! I got a medal! Aren't I a special snowflake?) Truth, most of the women only cared about the wine.

Oh, and just as we finished, it started to hail... that was fun.

Napoleon
10-06-14, 03:05 PM
^^^

Where is your headgear and is that blond available?

Gnam
10-06-14, 03:07 PM
:thumbup:

RaceGrrl
10-06-14, 03:15 PM
^^^

Where is your headgear and is that blond available?

There weren't enough tiaras to go around.... and besides, I had the best boa. And yes, the blonde is available. And she's an attorney. :laugh:

dando
10-06-14, 03:53 PM
Congrats, Missy. :thumbup: :cool:

Napoleon
10-06-14, 04:35 PM
And yes, the blonde is available. And she's an attorney. :laugh:

Sorry to hear that ;)

Anteater
10-08-14, 02:52 PM
Congratulations, RaceGrrl! You may borrow my tiara for the next race, if you like. ;)

RaceGrrl
10-09-14, 12:47 PM
Congratulations, RaceGrrl! You may borrow my tiara for the next race, if you like. ;)

Thanks for the offer but you know I have a closet full of my own bling! Lots of women were wearing tutus but I wore a lightweight hip sash. Hey, what else is a bellydancer supposed to do?

dando
04-15-16, 02:22 AM
OK, so I'll revive this thread. DD2 (soon to be 10) is following in her old man's footsteps (T&F and xCountry). She asked for a Fittybit for her birthday. I got the Flex for the parental units for Xmas (simple for tech simpletons), but looking at the Fittybit HR for DD2. She has an iPad 3 and iPod Touch (circa 2013), but I'm not ponying up for a phone. I've done the Youtube review route, but if anyone has feedback, let me know. I have a Moto 360 and it kinda sucks ass. It will show 3K steps but 2% activity.