PDA

View Full Version : These people need to be beaten with sticks

cameraman
06-19-14, 02:44 PM
Ferrari and Mercedes will both fit titanium blocks to the bottom of their cars in the hope of creating sparks in a move to make the cars more spectacular.

It's one of a few changes they hope to introduce for 2015, with glowing brake discs and vapour trails also on the agenda.

The FIA has given permission for Ferrari to fit two blocks to Kimi Raikkonen's plank during free practice in Austria this weekend, whilst Nico Rosberg will run them in a different position to see which produces the best effect.

No other changes, such as lowering the ride-height or suspension, will be made, with the teams confident placing them in certain positions will create sparks when the cars run over a bumpy surface or during high-speed sections when the downforce pushes the car into the track surface.

Their introduction still needs to be ratified by the FIA's World Motor Sport Council, which is meeting in Munich next week.

Faked sparks, yep that will save the sport:flaming:

Insomniac
06-19-14, 03:09 PM
With every thousandth of a second mattering, why would they add that to their cars?

Elmo T
06-19-14, 03:50 PM
That link from the The Onion? :saywhat:

Here is an artist's rendering of next year's field:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ilojmx.gif

Andrew Longman
06-19-14, 09:27 PM
These the same people who wanted to add sprinklers for random wet weather racing?

NismoZ
06-19-14, 11:58 PM
Yep, the sprinklers idea was my 1st thought, too.:D We had this discussion a long time ago. What were some of the other exciting things we came up with?...figure 8s included in track design? Loop de loops? Pretty sure mention was made of our old Hot Wheels setups. HAVE to consider jumps...that is always exciting! AND...quit TALKING about how all that downforce could hold a car upside down in a tunnel...DO IT! Hard for spectators to actually SEE that, though...maybe a transparent tunnel!? That'd be cool.:thumbup: Time for those F-16-like canopies? Newey is all over THAT one...with his X designs! Jets? (got used to those in the unlimited hydros, didn't like 'em though. The Allisons sounded WAAY better!) diesel hybrids...but, ya know...sparky-blocks is a real CHEAP idea, 'specially at the night races! Hmmm...4-wheel drive, 6-wheelers, movable aerodynamic devices, sucker-cars... there is so much they could do...oh, kinda "been there, done that, I guess? If it was up to ME, they'd just move all the engines up front! Why do we have to keep moving forward, I say "F-1, the way it USED to be!" Go BACK!:gomer:...The Ferraris have to shoot RED sparks if they DO adopt this wonderful idea, though!

Andrew Longman
06-20-14, 09:13 AM
Standing REstarts next year.

And no Friday practice... You know, to improve the fan experience on the weekend.

Rus'L
06-20-14, 09:56 AM
Standing REstarts next year.

That's the way it used to be whenever there was a red flag.

And no Friday practice... You know, to improve the fan experience on the weekend.

That was, thankfully, voted down this week.