PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tony Gwynn

TravelGal
06-16-14, 01:04 PM
The Travel household is very sad today at the loss of Tony Gwynn, Mr. Padre. We lived in San Diego during many of his best years and continued to follow his career through the fight with cheek cancer, the recurrence of the cancer just before his first ballot induction into the Hall of Fame, coaching his beloved baseball at SDSU. We would go to Padres games and see him always eager to accommodate the fans and sign autographs. He fought the good fight. "Rest in peace" never seemed more appropriate.

Don Quixote
06-16-14, 01:28 PM
He was one of the good ones. :(

Andrew Longman
06-16-14, 03:28 PM
He was one of the good ones. :(indeed

SteveH
06-16-14, 03:42 PM
Wasn't aware he was fighting cancer so this was a shock.

Will Chewing Tobacco Be Banned In Major League Baseball After Tony Gwynn's Cancer Death? (http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/06/16/will-chewing-tobacco-be-banned-in-major-league-baseball-after-tony-gwynns-cancer-death/)

interesting and sobering article

f#*& cancer

Don Quixote
06-16-14, 04:42 PM
I don't remember when the connection between chew and cancer became common knowledge. I sort of think that it wasn't during at least the early part of his career. I remember way back in the dark ages when I was in high school it was known that cigarettes would give you cancer but chew was thought to be safe.