PDA

View Full Version : Couthard in trouble at McClaren

oddlycalm
07-01-03, 12:05 PM
DC is having a very tough time adapting the new qualifying rules, and after his wreck at the Nurburgring, his season is looking rather dismal. Kimi is driving circles around him to put it politely. Anyone think that McClaren will replace him during or after the season? My best guess is that if he continues at the current pace, he stays for the season by is gone at the end.

oc

Chitowncartfreak
07-01-03, 12:15 PM
No, I think DC will be back. Ron Dennis has stated that he will have both drivers back next year. Although I realize that people go back on their word all the time in F1, McLaren has always seemed to be the team that is most loyal to their drivers.

JoeBob
07-01-03, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Chitowncartfreak
No, I think DC will be back. Ron Dennis has stated that he will have both drivers back next year. Although I realize that people go back on their word all the time in F1, McLaren has always seemed to be the team that is most loyal to their drivers.

Unless said driver's name rhymes with Andretti.

Chitowncartfreak
07-01-03, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Unless said driver's name rhymes with Andretti.

Won't argue with you there. Of course, Andretti's dismissal was Mika Hakkinen's gain. I think Ron Dennis had a closer relationship to Mika than to Michael.

Hink
07-01-03, 02:36 PM
Ron's big mistake was not getting rid of DC 5 years ago.

From the time he let Häkkinen by late in the race after having a big lead it was obvious he would never be WDC. (Australia 1998)

mapguy
07-01-03, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Chitowncartfreak
Ron Dennis has stated that he will have both drivers back next year

Actually Ron stated that they "Would not be looking outside their current contracted drivers." McLaren also have Alexander Wurz and Pedro Delarosa under contract also. Although I can't see Pedro taking DC's seat I can easily see Wurz take it. Jag tried hard to get Wurz to replace Pizzonia earlier this year and McLaren would have none of it. They rate Wurz highly.

Stick a fork in DC. He's done.

Wheel-Nut
07-01-03, 02:59 PM
Should we start the DC to CART rumors? :D

Barton
07-01-03, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Hink
Ron's big mistake was not getting rid of DC 5 years ago.

From the time he let Häkkinen by late in the race after having a big lead it was obvious he would never be WDC. (Australia 1998)

But that was also part of a deal DC and Mika had arranged between themselves that whoever made it to the first corner in front would win the race. DC actually honored that agreement...

Should he have done so is an entirely different discussion. ;)

Turn7
07-01-03, 03:31 PM
Plus, isn't Mika only on a sebatacle? Did he ever officially retire or could he still be under contract to McL/M as well?

Hink
07-01-03, 03:45 PM
Barton - That's true - I'll give you that.

I always thought Mika's third win was his first real one. I really wasn't sure if Mika would step up to being the clear number one, but DC made sure of that. :p

Barton
07-01-03, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Hink
Barton - That's true - I'll give you that.

I always thought Mika's third win was his first real one. I really wasn't sure if Mika would step up to being the clear number one, but DC made sure of that. :p

You could argue Mika's first win was real... he did pass Jacques and Michael... while they were off the track. ;)

Ed_Severson
07-01-03, 04:10 PM
My hunch ... Coulthard gets the heave-ho at McLaren to make room for either Heidfeld or Wurz, and Coulthard ends up pining the rest of his career away at BAR.

I could be wrong ... wouldn't that be weird? :p

RaceChic
07-01-03, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Ed_Severson
My hunch ... Coulthard gets the heave-ho at McLaren to make room for either Heidfeld or Wurz, and Coulthard ends up pining the rest of his career away at BAR.

And to top that off with even more weird (and a happy RaceChic) would be Jacques Villeneuve at McLaren. :D

DjDrOmusic
07-01-03, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Wheel-Nut
Should we start the DC to CART rumors? :D

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!! :D :laugh:

mapguy
07-01-03, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Plus, isn't Mika only on a sebatacle? Did he ever officially retire or could he still be under contract to McL/M as well?

Mika officially announced his retirement in Germany last year.

Dr. Corkski
07-01-03, 07:34 PM
Jacks Villeneuve annouced his retirement back in 98. :D

RaceChic
07-01-03, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Jacks Villeneuve annouced his retirement back in 98. :D

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Ankf00
07-01-03, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Ed_Severson

If ONLY it was Heidfeld... he deserves that seat 10x more than Kimi or mr. "hey green paper is SOOOOO soothing to bathe in!!!"

Cam
07-01-03, 10:28 PM
There is nothing more that I would love to see than Quick Nick in a Mac seat..... He is a signed driver with the Silver Arrow and deserves a shot.

However after Mac plucked Kimi from the team Peter Sauber told them they would never give up Nick.....

Will be interesting to see....I for one would love to see the Sauber team-mates as tesam-mates again....

JT265
07-01-03, 11:30 PM
So if Alex or Nick get the ride, does this mean that Ronnie has given up the dream of Sarah DNFisher as the 1st woman WDC?

THE HORROR!!!!

Oh, and for the record, the overpaid son of a Canadian legend, who, although I like the little bastard, has completely destroyed his intergrity and his ability to drive by carrying his wallet in his firesuit, has roughly 1/2 a season to show the punters that he still has it.

Otherwise, his next ride will be the blue and white of, no, not Williams, but

Dominos Pizza

(30 minutes or free) :p

cartmanoz
07-02-03, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
Actually Ron stated that they "Would not be looking outside their current contracted drivers." McLaren also have Alexander Wurz and Pedro Delarosa under contract also. Although I can't see Pedro taking DC's seat I can easily see Wurz take it.

Add to that list 1999 F3000 Champion Nick Heidfeld.

A massive rumour going around, mostly because of Mercedes, is that Fisichella may end up driving at McLaren and that Wurz and Heidfeld will end up at Jordan, powered by Mercedes engines.

DC has had long enough to win a WDC and his time has certainly passed. He is taking up a top seat that should be given to the next generation of young drivers.

IMO Nick should be given the seat. Really, the ONLY reason he missed out in 2002 was because Ron didn't want Kimi to fall into Ferrari's hands so he signed him up very quickly while he knew he would have Nick under a long-term contract.

oddlycalm
07-03-03, 02:47 PM
I'm in agreement that DC goes after this season and either Heidfeld or Wurz steps in. Somebody better phone up Ron Dennis and let him know what we've decided...;)

oc

pchall
07-03-03, 04:25 PM
This is DC's championship year: 200x

Insert a digit you think appropriate. ;)

cart7
07-03-03, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by JT265
So if Alex or Nick get the ride, does this mean that Ronnie has given up the dream of Sarah DNFisher as the 1st woman WDC?

THE HORROR!!!!

Oh, and for the record, the overpaid son of a Canadian legend, who, although I like the little bastard, has completely destroyed his intergrity and his ability to drive by carrying his wallet in his firesuit, has roughly 1/2 a season to show the punters that he still has it.

Otherwise, his next ride will be the blue and white of, no, not Williams, but

Dominos Pizza

(30 minutes or free) :p
Why do I have a feeling the pizza might be a second late and completely destroyed after at least one off course. :laugh:

oddlycalm
07-06-03, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by JT265

Agreed, I seriously doubt he'll be back. F1 has outgrown JV. His juvenile remarks are old, and he's been a divisive rather than uniting influence at BAR. Drivers like Raikonnen, Montoya and Button have the driving chops without all the childish dialogue. I've always like to watch JV drive, but I don't think it will be in F1 after this season.

oc

Chitowncartfreak
07-07-03, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
Actually Ron stated that they "Would not be looking outside their current contracted drivers." McLaren also have Alexander Wurz and Pedro Delarosa under contract also. Although I can't see Pedro taking DC's seat I can easily see Wurz take it. Jag tried hard to get Wurz to replace Pizzonia earlier this year and McLaren would have none of it. They rate Wurz highly.

Stick a fork in DC. He's done.

You are correct - that is what he said. I keep forgetting that when you are discussing F1, you have to read much deeper into things than normal. I didn't even think about his contracted test drivers. In light of this new evidence, I would like to change my original answer from "he will be back" to "it's questionable whether or not he will be back." I agree that Wurz would be a contender for DC's seat.

tomahawk
07-08-03, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Cam
There is nothing more that I would love to see than Quick Nick in a Mac seat..... He is a signed driver with the Silver Arrow and deserves a shot.

However after Mac plucked Kimi from the team Peter Sauber told them they would never give up Nick.....

Will be interesting to see....I for one would love to see the Sauber team-mates as tesam-mates again....
I don't think it will be Nick - he's having a tough time with HHF this year so his value has declined. I understand that 2004 is the last year of his retainer by Mercedes.

The rumor that I heard was Nick to Jaguar replacing Jungle Boy or to Jordan as part of a Mercedes engine deal.

Of course, though I think DC returns to McLaren next year, a DC to Jaguar move would make sense as well given his experience, pace and ethnicity.

So DC to Jag replacing Pizzonia
Fischella to McLaren replacing DC
Heidfeld to Jordan replacing Fischella
Barricello to Sauber replacing Heidfeld
Massa into Barricello's Ferrari seat.

Leaves Wurz without a race ride.

:tomahawk