PDA

View Full Version : F1 2014 Race Weekend Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Insomniac
06-08-14, 04:53 PM
Traffic seems low enough that a consolidated race weekend thread makes sense. Canada: Awesome or More Awesome? Discuss. :D

cameraman
06-08-14, 05:23 PM
Hamilton has no luck at all. He manages to get the lead and the car fails.

I can't quite figure out the Massa-Perez thing, did Massa just miss his braking point? He was going so much faster than Perez when he hit him. And Vettel is all sorts of lucky that both those cars missed him.

Also whoever directed that broadcast needs to be taken behind the building and shot. The idea of pre-planned shots where you break away from the race to show the crowd in the stands is beyond idiotic. I'm not watching to see video of people in grandstands:flaming:

cameraman
06-08-14, 05:26 PM
Max Chilton has been given a 3-place grid penalty for Austria after his clash with Jules Bianchi. So that means he will be moved behind the two Caterhams. Soooo harsh:rolleyes:

cameraman
06-08-14, 05:29 PM
Thermal image of the Mercedes brake failure

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpoyCY_IQAAt4xA.jpg:large

cameraman
06-08-14, 06:03 PM
Actually Chilton got a 5-place penalty, not that the extra two matter. More interesting is that Perez got a 5-place penalty for "causing a collision".

cameraman
06-08-14, 06:07 PM
Sweet Jesus now that are backtracking and claim that Chilton got a 3 spot. It doesn't matter either way but make up yer minds:saywhat:

NismoZ
06-08-14, 08:25 PM
Maybe Perez moved over a little and hit the brakes earlier? THAT would certainly increase the closing rate. I thought it was ALL on Massa until I saw ONE particular replay...need to see a better overhead view. One or the other should get a penalty of some sort. Could have been REALLY bad news. Interesting to see Massa pass Alonso, though.:) I was actually hoping to see him on the podium...because I am a softie and need more proof before I can call him an idiot. Good for Williams, though!

opinionated ow
06-08-14, 09:42 PM
Sweet Jesus now that are backtracking and claim that Chilton got a 3 spot. It doesn't matter either way but make up yer minds:saywhat:

He will need to serve in parts until the whole penalty has been accounted for. If that means he qualified 21st for the next five races he will start 22nd.

WickerBill
06-09-14, 06:50 AM
That was a fun race. Good for Ricciardo; Hobbs kept calling him a terrier, but terriers conjure the image of all bark and no bite. He's just good, period.

Approximation of Vettel's escape:
http://29nowi3x6xa62rtb0q199oo913a2.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/man-almost-gets-hit-by-bus-while-crossing-street.gif

chop456
06-09-14, 07:27 AM
Pretty good. :laugh:

Reminded me of this one, too:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/video-stephane-ortelli-goes-flying-in-le-mans-car-639/55175480+w670+h447+cr1+ar0/9789438.jpeg.jpg

NismoZ
06-09-14, 10:16 AM
As I thought. Perez "brakes very early and jinks left"...from the overhead shot. Gets a 5 spot penalty. Poor judgment, Lucky result. (the "I have no brakes" excuse doesn't hold water as that problem had been corrected earlier.) Oh, yeah...and "Take the bus and leave the driving to us" Russia?

Insomniac
06-09-14, 10:23 AM
Hamilton has no luck at all. He manages to get the lead and the car fails.

I can't quite figure out the Massa-Perez thing, did Massa just miss his braking point? He was going so much faster than Perez when he hit him. And Vettel is all sorts of lucky that both those cars missed him.

Also whoever directed that broadcast needs to be taken behind the building and shot. The idea of pre-planned shots where you break away from the race to show the crowd in the stands is beyond idiotic. I'm not watching to see video of people in grandstands:flaming:

Rosberg was lined up to chop Hamilton (where's TrueBrit on this?) and failed miserably. So he just made sure to let Hamilton decide whether to take them both out in Turn 1.

It was crazy both Silver Arrow failed at nearly the same time. At 2s a lap, either would've had the win locked up. This also highlighted the difficulty in passing that still exists. The Mercedes, while down on power would pull away from the Force India in the corners and give it all back on the straights. Worked for them since they couldn't get into the DRS limit. Sadly, Perez with that power could also hold up Ricciardo, Vettel and Massa.

:thumbup: to Ricciardo on getting the job done though. I think Vettel played it smart waiting to the end to pass Perez. He was able to use his DRS and once he didn't have that, Massa would've picked him off. So waiting to the end made it least likely Massa would pass Perez and him in one lap. Of course this didn't matter in the end.

They don't need to show live reaction shots. Show the reactions in the replays.

Crazy the Mercedes still almost won and I feel badly for Hamilton.

indyfan31
06-09-14, 10:58 AM
I didn't think Massa had a snowball's chance in hell of making the next turn at the speed he was going, but from the overhead view you could tell Perez did jog left a little at just the wrong time.

I always enjoy seeing a first time winner, and Vettel showed he can be a real pro in genuinely congratulating his teammate.

Did anyone else hear the transmission from the pits make reference to a "Hoagie"? :confused:

cameraman
06-09-14, 12:02 PM
Did anyone else hear the transmission from the pits make reference to a "Hoagie"? :confused:

I got the feeling that they don't want anyone to know what it was they were referring to. Aussie code-talking.

Andrew Longman
06-09-14, 03:22 PM
Best race this year. Helped by the fact it is a great track.

I have seen the Perez incident a few times and think he braked early because his brakes were going away. My guess is Massa was surprised but also needing to be aggressive because he was running out of laps. Perez's jerk to the left doesnt seem to synch with a turn of the wheel left which makes me wonder if the left side brakes went away less and pulled him that way.

Regardless I don't agree with sending drivers backwards at the next race for something the officials couldn't figure out at the last race. Settle penalties before the race is finished or after post race inspections.

WickerBill
06-20-14, 08:05 PM
Watching FP2. Is it just me, or is the McLaren livery about the most nondescript, hard to pick out, dare I say ugly livery for the last few seasons?

cameraman
06-21-14, 01:19 AM
Would you want people's attention focused on that sled? The car is just plain slow.

Insomniac
06-21-14, 11:53 AM
Watching FP2. Is it just me, or is the McLaren livery about the most nondescript, hard to pick out, dare I say ugly livery for the last few seasons?

I liked the Vodaphone look, but this new color is very dull.

Was there any explanation on the Mercedes failure in Canada?

:thumbup: Williams

TedN
06-21-14, 12:39 PM
Great Q3 result for Williams today. I think Frank almost smiled. And what a glorious backdrop for a race. Gorgeous setting.

Ted

SteveH
06-21-14, 02:04 PM
Didn't it look nice in 1971?

http://i.imgur.com/4fnkgql.jpg

cameraman
06-21-14, 02:29 PM
This has all the makings of a very good race.
As long as they don't screw it up at the first corner...

JohnHKart
06-22-14, 05:37 AM
Like team Prost in 2000 in Austria.

cameraman
06-22-14, 04:24 PM
A clean race and Karma continues its jihad against Sebastian Vettel.

gjc2
06-22-14, 04:45 PM

Poor Seb, only four championships in a row. Thankfully he's got his "Director of Performance" gig with Infiniti.

Gary
06-22-14, 04:49 PM

Karma, indeed. I'll bet he wishes he could take back the 'tough luck' comment.

Insomniac
06-22-14, 08:37 PM
Rosberg beat Hamilton straight up. It's hard to pit first when you're out front.

opinionated ow
06-22-14, 09:28 PM
I know it has been tilkified but that's still a properly good racetrack. The atmosphere was palpable in the footage because of how big the crowd was. Most races need to be held in Europe on the classic circuits rather than wasting time in developing countries where they don't care

SteveH
06-23-14, 07:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/FtoJWb7.jpg

NismoZ
06-27-14, 12:26 AM
RA with mountains...and no gravel pit.:)

WickerBill
07-04-14, 09:33 PM
While the Mercs are 1-2 again in FP2, the margin isn't very big at all. Hoping for an interesting Silverstone.

cameraman
07-04-14, 10:46 PM
Hamilton missed half of FP2 even though he was also fastest.

SteveH
07-05-14, 09:07 AM
Q1 2 and 3 were all quite interesting. Wow!

WickerBill
07-05-14, 10:58 AM
That was a classic qualifying session. Tons of fun to watch the strategies.

cameraman
07-05-14, 02:40 PM
Major league error in judgement by Hamilton. At least he owns it now even if he was in shock right after Q3

I made a mistake today and pulled out of the lap when I should have kept going. It was a tough qualifying with the changing conditions and we got through most of it really well, until the most important part. It was my decision, a bad call, and that decided my qualifying. I'm so sorry to have disappointed the fans here today as their support has been fantastic and I'll do what I can to have a great race for them tomorrow. I need to have a start like I had in Austria two weeks ago and then do my best to get back to the front; you never know what might happen. It's difficult when you're just out of the car to express your emotions and see the positive but I'll go back to the team and my family now and we'll build up for tomorrow from there.

cameraman
07-06-14, 12:51 PM
Well that was a hell of a race. In case you're wondering, Bernie sold the rights to the British Grand Prix trophy to Santander. So this is the first year that the gold trophy has been replaced by the corporate logo of a Spanish bank. Not at all popular with the British. Seems they are still using the gold one and Hamilton got a hold of it after the race went offair and went back out. The place went nuts.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br34w7PIUAIuyPF.jpg

mapguy
07-06-14, 01:04 PM
F'ing Bernie. Is nothing sacred to that little troll? For someone who has been in the sport for so long he certainly doesn't give a spit about it's history and tradition.

Expect Hamilton to get fined for this. :shakehead:

cameraman
07-06-14, 01:15 PM
Mercedes will probably pick up any tab...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br33OcBIQAAaDfe.jpg

Insomniac
07-06-14, 02:24 PM
F'ing Bernie. Is nothing sacred to that little troll? For someone who has been in the sport for so long he certainly doesn't give a spit about it's history and tradition.

Expect Hamilton to get fined for this. :shakehead:

Plus he insulted the new one on the podium (which was deserved).

It was a good qualifying and race. Too bad about Kimi and Massa. I think the better drivers on each team got up to the front, but would've been good to see them in the mix. DNF for Rosberg was bound to happen. I wonder how the strategy would've played out still. Would Hamilton have one stopped or tried to pass Rosberg after getting the option tires?

Mary
07-06-14, 02:42 PM
Well that was a hell of a race. In case you're wondering, Bernie sold the rights to the British Grand Prix trophy to Santander. So this is the first year that the gold trophy has been replaced by the corporate logo of a Spanish bank. Not at all popular with the British. Seems they are still using the gold one and Hamilton got a hold of it after the race went offair and went back out. The place went nuts.

These things have value in large part because of their tradition. You'd think some over-paid suit at Santander would understand that, especially if they want to drive up business in the UK.

Mary

Lux Interior
07-06-14, 04:33 PM
Good for Lewis. Great Britain is all about tradition.

But of course, Bernie needs more money. That poor guy doesn't have two shillings to rub together.

TrueBrit
07-07-14, 11:51 AM
Bernie Ecclestone is the only man in history to make people look upon Jean-Marie Balestre wistfully...

I still hate the new layout at Salivastone...and remain utterly grateful that Tilke never got his hands on Brands Hatch...

Bummed that Rosberg didn't win...if only for the fact that he is the only Mercedes driver that knows how one is supposed to wear a baseball cap properly...

indyfan31
07-07-14, 12:00 PM
And now for more silliness. Does anyone have any idea what Alonso's last transmission was after he got passed?
My wife swears his last words were ". . . I have to poop."

Lux Interior
07-08-14, 03:03 AM
Bernie Ecclestone is the only man in history to make people look upon Jean-Marie Balestre wistfully...

I still hate the new layout at Salivastone...and remain utterly grateful that Tilke never got his hands on Brands Hatch...

Bummed that Rosberg didn't win...if only for the fact that he is the only Mercedes driver that knows how one is supposed to wear a baseball cap properly...

Oh how I miss the old Hockenheim track. I really loathe the new layout.

Was glad to see the A1 ring back though. I was missing that euro vibe that F1 used to have - back in the days of Hock, Nurburgring, San Marino, A1, Magny Cours, Monza, Silverstone, and Spa. Circa 2001 maybe? Was that the last time we had a schedule like that?

chop456
07-09-14, 01:16 AM
And now for more silliness. Does anyone have any idea what Alonso's last transmission was after he got passed?
My wife swears his last words were ". . . I have to poop."

That's exactly what I said. :laugh:

mapguy
07-09-14, 05:48 AM

First point: I never thought about that, but yes. Very true.

Second: Absolutely. Brands and Caldwell Park.. I'd love to see F1 cars going through 'the mountain'.

Third: Coffee on the monitor..

opinionated ow
07-09-14, 09:17 AM
First point: I never thought about that, but yes. Very true.

Second: Absolutely. Brands and Caldwell Park.. I'd love to see F1 cars going through 'the mountain'.

Third: Coffee on the monitor..

1. Balestre was before my time...I hear he was a bastard though.
2. My list of circuits would include reverting to the last Silverstone version, Monza, Imola, Brands Hatch, Donnington, rebuilt old school Hockenheim (with some extra safety measures), Dijon-Prenois, Spa, Zandvoort, Anderstorp, Red Bull, Nurburgring, something Spanish and something Portuguese. One other thing I would do is have a continental GP that would rotate between good circuits on the continent that otherwise wouldn't have a GP. So I'd have a European GP, an Asian one (another chance to race in front of big Japanese crowds), a North American one (alternate between Mosport and somewhere in the USA), a south America (alternating between argentina and brazil), a middle eastern gp (rotating between dubai, abu dhabi, bahrain) and an oceania grand prix (alternating between aus and nz)
3. Poms can't be gangsters. It just doesn't work. I saw he has his race number tattooed behind his ear too...seriously?

Rogue Leader
07-09-14, 10:33 PM
Oh how I miss the old Hockenheim track. I really loathe the new layout.

Was glad to see the A1 ring back though. I was missing that euro vibe that F1 used to have - back in the days of Hock, Nurburgring, San Marino, A1, Magny Cours, Monza, Silverstone, and Spa. Circa 2001 maybe? Was that the last time we had a schedule like that?

You know I didn't realize it as much until watching Austria and seeing the ridiculous number of people there and how bezerk they were all going. It adds to the feeling even when watching on TV. When they race in front of nobody in places like China and Abu Dhabi it makes it less exciting

Lux Interior
07-10-14, 10:06 PM
Huge crowd at A1. Supposedly, the race sold out quickly.

I'd love to see San Marino back but it's doubtful that will ever happen.

Insomniac
07-26-14, 10:59 AM
Hamilton must be suspecting sabotage at this point. If Hamilton somehow wins the championship, it will definitely a memorable one in which he persevered.

gjc2
07-26-14, 12:03 PM
Hamilton must be suspecting sabotage at this point.

I can’t imagine that being the case (and I doubt Lewis thinks so). The team wants to see their cars on the front row of the grid and coming across the finish line in first and second.

Insomniac
07-26-14, 12:28 PM
I can’t imagine that being the case (and I doubt Lewis thinks so). The team wants to see their cars on the front row of the grid and coming across the finish line in first and second.

What about Nico? ;) Horrible luck has tuned into something worse at this point. He is +1 on DNF and +2 on Qualifying failures.

Mary
07-26-14, 02:31 PM
From Mercedes AMG F1's Twitter account:

Toto: "I'm devastated for Lewis. We are working flat out to give both drivers the best possible car..." (cont) (cont)... "and a Mercedes in flames is not what we want to show the world. I'm sorry to Lewis and all his fans." Devastating misfortune for Lewis. But he did it in Hockenheim, he can do it again here: bring on the #HungarianGP #F1

Might be an interesting race tomorrow, but the Hungaroring isn't exactly known for passing.

Mary

Andrew Longman
07-26-14, 05:24 PM
Hamilton must be suspecting sabotage at this point.Maybe. F1 soap drama is not to be underestimated but deliberately exploding brake rotors and flaming fuel leaks amount to attempted murder if you think like a prosecutor.

But this does fuel the Vettel to MB rumors doesn't it?

Insomniac
07-26-14, 07:05 PM
Maybe. F1 soap drama is not to be underestimated but deliberately exploding brake rotors and flaming fuel leaks amount to attempted murder if you think like a prosecutor.

But this does fuel the Vettel to MB rumors doesn't it?

I didn't hear those. I thought he re-signed with Red Bull for a few years?

Mary
07-26-14, 08:21 PM
I didn't hear those. I thought he re-signed with Red Bull for a few years?

This was the hot story mid-week on Autosport.com. This is from another source.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-rubbishes-vettel-to-mercedes-rumour/

Mary

cameraman
07-27-14, 06:25 AM
This is one of the hardest circuits to overtake on and honestly I don't know what I can do - it may be a struggle to get into the top 10 or the top five. I'm always up for the fight. I'll do what I can from there.

He is starting from the pit lane.

NismoZ
07-27-14, 10:31 AM
...but didn't stay back there very long! GREAT recovery. Expected but exciting.:thumbup: Loved how the "World Feed" focused on the fight for 4-7 as the guys raved about what was going on up front!:D They recovered, though and we got to experience all the drama there, too. I REALLY appreciated the result for Ricciardo after that DQ in the opener and Alonso in 2nd was just a great example of (nearly/finally) overcoming adversity. After some uninteresting events this year, this one was a LOT of fun to watch!:thumbup:F-1

Mary
07-27-14, 10:45 AM
Fun race to watch; nice result. More Nico vs. Lewis drama over Lewis not letting him pass.

Mary

cameraman
07-27-14, 12:27 PM
What I find very strange is Rosberg was never anywhere near Hamilton when he was asking to pass. What does Rosberg expect Hamilton to do, slow down substantially to let catch up and then let him past? That's a load of crap. It would be one thing him Rosberg was on Hamilton's tail and Hamilton was battling him but that never happened.

WickerBill
07-27-14, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I'm a Rosberg guy, but that was a little too Fernando Alonso for me -- he could see Hamilton so he thought Hamilton should capitulate. Lewis was absolutely right to say "if he gets close..."

WickerBill
07-27-14, 01:19 PM
A little clarity, perhaps... Nico says the team told him Lewis would move over, which is why he asked.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115176

Mary
07-27-14, 01:54 PM
I get the team orders thing in F1 (although I personally don't like them) but there are too many races left and Rosberg & Hamilton are too close in points to ask one to cede to the other in a situation like this.

Mary

cameraman
07-27-14, 02:31 PM
Interesting comments from Niki Lauda,
Mercedes has been used to being in the lead and racing against each other, but this race, with the safety car at the beginning and the wet conditions, was a completely different race. So every minute you had to decide something different and in this stress the team told Lewis he should let Nico by because he was on softer tyres and has to come in anyway. But in Lewis's position he was clear that if he had been in the DRS position - Nico one second behind - for sure he would have let him by. But Nico never got that close. Therefore I do understand that Lewis said 'Why should I stop now in the middle of the circuit to let my team colleague by?' He is fighting for the championship anyway. So from my point of view Lewis was right. And why the call came, this happened out of the panic and we had to make up for what we were losing.

Insomniac
07-27-14, 04:51 PM
I thought Ferrari messed up when they didn't pit Alonso for new softs after Bottas stopped. He had the gap to come back out in 3rd, but that guy managed to hold up Hamilton so long he got 2nd on 30 laps! Hamilton lost good points by not getting by him.

Agree on Rosberg. Did he really think Lewis would slow down on top of moving over? The team did a horrible job conveying him information. Hamilton was in the right, there's nothing to discuss behind closed doors. (Well, assuming this isn't a Schumacher-Barichello team situation).

datachicane
07-28-14, 04:37 PM
Not to take anything away from Rosberg, but if Hamilton had ordinary luck he'd be sitting on a couple more championships by now.

Gopeddle
07-28-14, 05:14 PM
The same could be said about Massa, Kimi, Mansell and many others. Hamilton is a fine driver, not doubt, but I don't think we've seen the best from Rosberg and I'm a bit baffled that he doesn't seem to get the respect I think he deserves. He consistently beat Michael, sure he was past his prime, but still the consistency with which Nico beat him was pretty impressive, and now he's giving Louis a run for his money in the same car. And still, I get the impression from the announcers that every time he wins he's somehow taking the victory from it's rightful holder. Maybe I'm just prejudiced because I like Nico and think he's a very good, very smart driver.

WickerBill
07-28-14, 07:48 PM
He doesn't pass well. Lewis does. That, and undoubtedly most of the announcers you listen to are British.

JohnHKart
07-29-14, 01:16 AM
Great race. Hungary has turned out to be one of my favorite tracks, for years it was knocked, but the racing has been good lately. Also detest Hockeneim , because they destroyed it, but at least the racing is ok there.

Rus'L
07-29-14, 12:27 PM
The same could be said about Massa, Kimi, Mansell and many others. Hamilton is a fine driver, not doubt, but I don't think we've seen the best from Rosberg and I'm a bit baffled that he doesn't seem to get the respect I think he deserves. He consistently beat Michael, sure he was past his prime, but still the consistency with which Nico beat him was pretty impressive, and now he's giving Louis a run for his money in the same car. And still, I get the impression from the announcers that every time he wins he's somehow taking the victory from it's rightful holder. Maybe I'm just prejudiced because I like Nico and think he's a very good, very smart driver.

Pretty much, my feelings as well.

But, I think WickerBill nailed it. Lewis is a great passer (remember his outstanding GP2 exploits?) and for sheer speed, I also give Lewis the advantage. (And of course, most of the commentators are British, and Hobbs himself has a hard on for Hamilton.)

But, that does not take away from Nico being a deserved world champion, if he should win it. There have certainly been lesser talents who have claimed the top prize.

WickerBill
07-29-14, 01:17 PM
Full disclosure: with the departure of Webber, my rooting interests are Button and Rosberg. So I tend to have a propensity for guys who appear to be nice and are generally second-best on their team (not so Button the last two years I suppose).

I can't help but think in Bahrain, if Lewis is behind with fresh tires, he passes Nico like he's standing still. That single event caused me to doubt Nico's passing skill a lot more than it made me believe Hamilton was some master on worn tires.

Insomniac
07-29-14, 01:18 PM

But, I think WickerBill nailed it. Lewis is a great passer (remember his outstanding GP2 exploits?) and for sheer speed, I also give Lewis the advantage. (And of course, most of the commentators are British, and Hobbs himself has a hard on for Hamilton.)

But, that does not take away from Nico being a deserved world champion, if he should win it. There have certainly been lesser talents who have claimed the top prize.

*cough*Button*cough* Rosberg is very deserving of it. Mercedes employs two very good drivers, but I think Hamilton is the better driver. It's also so easy to compare the two since they have the same car. Also, don't forget Hamilton gets a lot of flack for his radio comments during a race.

WickerBill
07-29-14, 02:30 PM
I think it's better to give someone flack for being a whiny, paranoid freakshow on the radio than it is to give him nearly unlimited adoration because of the specific island he was born on.

:)

gerhard911
07-30-14, 07:43 AM
^^^ Absolutely.

Gopeddle
07-30-14, 08:30 AM

Lewis may be a better passer, but one could look at it from a purely pragmatic POV as well. That being that Nico has his eye on the championship and is a bit more wary of low percentage passing maneuvers. He's a thinking man's racer and that may win him the championship, or it may not. I remember back in the day when I disliked Bobby Rahal because he was less likely to pass every car he could were as Michael Andretti was a passing, race winning machine but ended up winning only 1 championship and no Indy 500. But I liked watching him much more. Either way, if Lewis or Nico end up losing the championship because of the ridiculous double points last race I'll be very upset.

WickerBill
07-30-14, 08:50 AM
Either way, if Lewis or Nico end up losing the championship because of the ridiculous double points last race I'll be very upset.

Yes, yes, yes. Points gimmicks are ridiculous regardless of racing types. Taxicab example: five times in the 10 years of "The Chase", the driver who won the title would not have won with a straight, normal scoring system. It's ludicrous.

Rus'L
07-30-14, 09:29 AM
*cough*Button*cough* Rosberg is very deserving of it. Mercedes employs two very good drivers, but I think Hamilton is the better driver. It's also so easy to compare the two since they have the same car. Also, don't forget Hamilton gets a lot of flack for his radio comments during a race.

I had Damon Hill in the back of my head when I wrote that...

Insomniac
09-06-14, 02:54 PM
Why does Mercedes bother to go out a second time in Q2? Do they need to burn fuel? Wouldn't a new set (or at least less wear on the first set) of options be better?

That was an awkward press conference.

cameraman
09-06-14, 03:23 PM
Because enough people have been burned sitting in the garage that they do not dare chance it.

cameraman
09-06-14, 03:33 PM
Without a doubt, this Lotus at Monza is the worst car I've ever seen in my life.

cameraman
09-07-14, 03:32 PM
And Rosberg chokes...

Insomniac
09-07-14, 05:48 PM
And Rosberg chokes...

Well, now I feel his decision at Monaco was justified. He's consistent in just giving up on turning. :D

It is a shame though. They had told Hamilton to stay back 2 seconds and he decided to instead turn up the pressure and pass when he felt he had the best chance (which was a good decision). I would've liked to see if Rosberg could keep him behind. I also don't know why he was braking so deep/late into turn 1 to begin with considering he was out front in clean air. Ricciardo just has it, I'm still surprised by it. Do people realize when they make excuses for Vettel (the car was designed for him, losing the rear diffuser hurts him the most), they are also saying he only won because he had a better car, not because he was a better driver?

Insomniac
09-07-14, 05:50 PM
Because enough people have been burned sitting in the garage that they do not dare chance it.

No one was going to hit those times though. In fact, no one did better than their times in Q3. Of course, they only needed 1 set of soft tires, so...

Hard Driver
09-07-14, 10:20 PM
And Rosberg chokes...

The guy has skills no doubt, but better he take himself out than Hamilton.... 2nd race in a row with a mistake.

WickerBill
09-20-14, 06:23 PM
.007 between pole and second.

Which begs the question - what happens if they post an identical time to the thousandth?

Tifosi24
09-20-14, 06:49 PM
.007 between pole and second.

Which begs the question - what happens if they post an identical time to the thousandth?

I believe a 3-way tie happened in 1997 at a race. First driver to set the time got pole.

opinionated ow
09-21-14, 12:08 AM
I believe a 3-way tie happened in 1997 at a race. First driver to set the time got pole.

I don't remember that event but you're correct. If they can't be split down to four decimal places (iirc) then it's the first to set the time who gets it.

Mary
09-21-14, 09:14 AM
I don't remember that event but you're correct. If they can't be split down to four decimal places (iirc) then it's the first to set the time who gets it.

Neither did I, but when I looked it up I was reminded that other events in this race were ultimately more important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_European_Grand_Prix

Mary

Mary
09-21-14, 10:27 AM
I don't know why, but Eddie Jordan has the same effect on me as nails on a chalkboard. :eek:

Mary

cameraman
09-21-14, 01:45 PM
I don't know why, but Eddie Jordan has the same effect on me as nails on a chalkboard. :eek:

Mary

Because you are human?

cameraman
09-21-14, 02:01 PM
Kyvat did the entire race without anything to drink.
Bottas didn't have a flat but a rear lockup that destroyed the tires. (may as well have been flat)

Mary
09-21-14, 05:44 PM
Kyvat did the entire race without anything to drink.
Bottas didn't have a flat but a rear lockup that destroyed the tires. (may as well have been flat)

Magnussen had to be treated for burns. Really. Apparently the seat was too hot. I know this is Formula 1 but that is potentially a big price for a point.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/108914-magnussen-treated-for-burns-after-race

Mary

cameraman
09-22-14, 09:26 AM
Or not it seems

BTW some newspapers say I had burns and had medical treatment for it. That's a bit exaggerated, I was just hot and sweaty! ;) #notdead

cameraman
09-22-14, 09:32 AM
Oh my…

Perhaps McLaren PR head @TheBishF1 could speak to @KevinMagnussen and when they've decided what his condition is they could tell us. #f1

Insomniac
09-22-14, 01:59 PM
I thought for sure that Red Bull had nailed the strategy and Alonso's only hope was to put the super softs he took off during the safety car back on at the end. I thought Hamilton was done with Red Bulls putting on super softs for the last stint.

:thumbup: to Hamilton for putting down the laps necessary to make that gap. I don't think the life was necessarily impressive because he used them well past their usefulness, but since everyone behind him was going to do the same with the softs, his dropoff was acceptable and he remained faster.

Crazy that a steering wheel wreaked so much havoc. Although, I'd think it was something in the car, not the wheel itself since they tried a couple.

And yes, Eddie Jordan is annoying as hell. I think he made the podium situation worse for Rosberg the last couple of races.

TedN
09-22-14, 06:50 PM
Crazy that a steering wheel wreaked so much havoc. Although, I'd think it was something in the car, not the wheel itself since they tried a couple.

I think I read somewhere that the issue was the wiring loom in the steering column, not the steering wheel itself.

Ted

gerhard911
09-22-14, 07:41 PM
^^^ That was Machette's blathering during the race.

I have just about had it with the US announce crew. Motor mouth Diffey is annoying as he||, any insight Machette may have had from his experience is well past its sell by date and while I generally like Hobbo, he needs to suppress his man love for Louise or risk an accident in his pants... :irked:

Mary
09-22-14, 07:46 PM

I have just about had it with the US announce crew. Motor mouth Diffey is annoying as he||, any insight Machette may have had from his experience is well past its sell by date and while I generally like Hobbo, he needs to suppress his man love for Louise or risk an accident in his pants... :irked:

Too bad the crew isn't as entertaining as this post!

Mary

cameraman
09-22-14, 09:46 PM

No Merc confirmed it.

It looks like a broken loom in the steering column, which was within the duty cycle and not towards the end of its life cycle, it just shut the whole thing down. The only thing that worked was the gear change and then the radio came back. There was no hybrid energy any more, so when we called him in we changed the steering wheel, and tried to get it going but it wouldn't. The only way to get it going was to get first gear in at high revs, and this is when I said stop, we don't want to have a jack flying out of the rear of the car and hurting somebody. He was a minute down by then, so that was it.

Wolff said that the team was flying the failed parts back to its Brackley headquarters overnight so that a full analysis could begin on Monday.

JohnHKart
09-23-14, 01:05 AM

True. These guys are so irrelevant it's pathetic. The problem is that this is the USA, so you are not going to get any recent F1 guys to fly out to Charlotte or wherever to do the broadcasts.

opinionated ow
09-23-14, 05:51 AM
True. These guys are so irrelevant it's pathetic. The problem is that this is the USA, so you are not going to get any recent F1 guys to fly out to Charlotte or wherever to do the broadcasts.

I had the misfortune of picking the same crew up whilst we were over there. I've never hankered for Greg Rust and Daryl Beattie before...