PDA

View Full Version : Canadian GP Contract

TedN
06-04-14, 06:18 AM
The contract to hold the race in Montreal is up next season and all signs point to a protracted negotiation to keep it in Canada.

The current deal with F-1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone was signed under duress — according to Ecclestone — because it was, then, the only North American outlet for the series.

With the U.S. Grand Prix now established at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Tex., the pressure is somewhat less to run in Canada.

What promoters in Montreal have, however, are numbers that show the Canadian Grand Prix gets the highest TV ratings in Europe of any Grand Prix and that has to count for something.

Link (http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/03/raikkonen-hoping-to-turn-season-around-starting-at-canadian-gp)

Why thie highest TV ratings in Europe ..... primetime there?

Ted

Andrew Longman
06-04-14, 08:53 AM
Also the track is great, scenic and interesting... With no desert sand blowing across the track. Usually it is a good race weekend.

stroker
06-04-14, 09:56 AM
They're French, eh?

:p

Rus'L
06-04-14, 11:32 AM
Link (http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/03/raikkonen-hoping-to-turn-season-around-starting-at-canadian-gp)

Why thie highest TV ratings in Europe ..... primetime there?

Ted

Yeah, it would be primetime there, so that must be the reason. But, the USGP would also be in primetime, and COTA has shown to be a entertertaining track.

However, aren't some of the Asian night races done in order to be primetime back in Europe?

Tifosi24
06-04-14, 12:22 PM
Yeah, it would be primetime there, so that must be the reason. But, the USGP would also be in primetime, and COTA has shown to be a entertertaining track.

However, aren't some of the Asian night races done in order to be primetime back in Europe?

I would guess it is many factors. I was in Germany, granted 15 years ago now, when the Canadian GP was held and I believe it started around dinner time or a little after. It was a big event and most everyone was talking about it over the course of the day. It probably outdraws the other primetime races for three reasons off hand: 1) it typically puts on an exciting race because the track is unusual; 2) the other events, including the USGP, are held during the soccer season; 3) if primetime European television is similar to US television in that re-runs and other filler is on during the summer that could push ratings up.

I don't know how many evening soccer games are held across Europe, but that could impact the ratings, and if you have been watching soccer earlier in the day, perhaps "your boss" is making you get some things done around the house instead of watching a race.

Gnam
06-04-14, 12:53 PM
What about venue? Besides Singapore, Spain, and Monaco, the Canadian GP is the only other race in the heart of a city. All the third world dumps are in the middle of nowhere, and the European tracks are in the countryside.

Doesn't F1 want to be associated with modern, urban surroundings?

Does the Canadian government pay F1 for the race? Could just be a shakedown by BE for more tax dollars.

cameraman
06-04-14, 01:45 PM
More like it could just be a shakedown by BE for more dollars period.

Andrew Longman
06-04-14, 03:52 PM
NJGP is still in play http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/08/ecclestone-new-jersey-still-viable-french-gp-set-to-return/

BE most certainly will be playing NJ and MTL against each other. Stupid though because NA can easily support three races, COTA and MTL are established and successful events and NJ would be huge forever.

Just quit dicking around and stop trying to suck every nickel out of the organizers and instead partner to make the events and series bigger than either BE or promoters could do on their own.

gjc2
06-05-14, 08:11 AM
Just quit dicking around and stop trying to suck every nickel out of the organizers and instead partner to make the events and series bigger than either BE or promoters could do on their own.

I agree, but I think Eccelstone wants control more than he wants money. He doesn't want to live in a world of equals.

TedN
06-06-14, 05:53 AM
Good news .....

Montreal race promoter Francois Dumontier has sounded alarmed in recent weeks and months, as the backing of the event by the varying levels of Canadian government was holding up the signing of a new ten-year contract beyond 2014.

But La Presse, the French-language Quebec newspaper, said Formula One will continue at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve until 2024, "barring a catastrophe".

"An announcement should be made tomorrow (Friday) at noon at the scene of the race," said correspondent Sebastian Templar, "ending negotiations that started almost two and half years ago."

Source (http://www.motorsport.com/#!/f1/news/new-canada-gp-contract-to-be-announced-report/)

Ted

Insomniac
06-08-14, 04:59 PM
10 More Years (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114327)

NismoZ
06-10-14, 09:56 AM
New pits, paddock, garages, moving the start line...at LEAST $20 mil. in improvements promised...probably 30 mil. by the time it all shakes out. Wonder what the fans get out of the deal? So the 10 yr. extension comes at a cost of 2+ mil per year? Not TOO bad...I guess. BE got what HE wanted, we can be certain of THAT!

Andrew Longman
06-10-14, 08:59 PM
"barring a catastrophe".

Yeah well BE has been around a few of those.

Hope the improvements don't screw up too much. And hope the fans and taxpayers get more than higher ticket prices.