PDA

View Full Version : Toto Wolff lays down the law

cameraman
05-26-14, 06:15 PM
However, Wolff revealed that the tension dates back to the epic battle between the two in Bahrain where Rosberg was using engine modes that Hamilton was not and then Hamilton did the same when the pair were racing in Spain in two weeks ago. Wolff played down the significance of the two incidents, but said it had added to the tension in Monaco and would not be allowed in the future.

In the last couple of races we had some little fouls left and right, and in the team we made sure this is not happening again. The most obvious bit is you can play around with the engine modes, so this is not happening ever again. Each driver has his own reality and I guess Lewis thought that Nico did it [ran wide at Mirabeau] on purpose yesterday, and Nico said he didn't. He said he was 0.1s down after Turn 3 and the only way of making it up was to push extremely hard, which he did under braking and he ran wide and he apologised to Lewis. Each thinks he's right, but sometimes you have to remind them there is not only black and white but there could be grey as well. We tell the drivers they can do whatever they want, as long as it's not underhand.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/160127.html

Insomniac
05-27-14, 10:40 AM
That opening race DNF could be costly to Hamilton. Ultimately, I think he's the faster driver and will win in the end (excluding DNFs out of his control), but that's what's keeping them close right now.

opinionated ow
05-27-14, 12:12 PM
That opening race DNF could be costly to Hamilton. Ultimately, I think he's the faster driver and will win in the end (excluding DNFs out of his control), but that's what's keeping them close right now.

he won't win it because he's too much of a hot head. He won that 2008 World Championship by luck more than anything and his attitude has only gotten worse since. I also don't think he's as dedicated as Rosberg either. He's too busy trying to be a gangster what with his silly earrings and the flat brim hat...

Insomniac
05-27-14, 12:31 PM
he won't win it because he's too much of a hot head. He won that 2008 World Championship by luck more than anything and his attitude has only gotten worse since. I also don't think he's as dedicated as Rosberg either. He's too busy trying to be a gangster what with his silly earrings and the flat brim hat...

:eek: You lived up to your screen name with that one! But what do you really think? :D

He did win with luck, but luck didn't put him in that position to begin with.

Tifosi24
05-27-14, 01:17 PM
I'm with opinionated on this one. Hamilton has more raw speed than Rosberg, but Hamilton's commitment, in my opinion, and the material between his ears is below average. He has been running his mouth a lot lately, so the easiest thing to do is just be quiet and beat Rosberg. The various articles I read this weekend further eroded my feeling toward Hamilton. In a season where there is no threat from other manufacturers, and you likely have more raw talent than your teammate, just go out and race and the wheat will more than likely separate from the chaff, but, I have a feeling that Lewis likes more drama in his life for some reason.

cameraman
05-27-14, 02:18 PM
It seems Hamilton habitually second-guesses everything during a race and gets very snippy over the radio. It is a race pressure thing and he doesn't react in a particularly polite/professional fashion but it doesn't seem to slow him down. I think it all goes away after the race and I think the team is smart enough to know how to deal with it. Hamilton himself is forever smoothing over statements made during a race with the media after the red mist has cleared. If his worst trait is being a jack ass over the radio during a race then the team is probably considering itself lucky. Both drivers are drama queens, just like Vettel & Alsonso, and neither possesses the innate ability to stfu about controversy when talking to the press. This is hardly a rare trait among race car drivers.

I can't see where anyone sees a lack of commitment on Hamilton's part. Both of them will do just about anything to win.

Insomniac
05-27-14, 03:29 PM
I'm with opinionated on this one. Hamilton has more raw speed than Rosberg, but Hamilton's commitment, in my opinion, and the material between his ears is below average. He has been running his mouth a lot lately, so the easiest thing to do is just be quiet and beat Rosberg. The various articles I read this weekend further eroded my feeling toward Hamilton. In a season where there is no threat from other manufacturers, and you likely have more raw talent than your teammate, just go out and race and the wheat will more than likely separate from the chaff, but, I have a feeling that Lewis likes more drama in his life for some reason.

I guess winning 4 in a row isn't commitment enough? TV/media/press aren't going to talk about anything positive drivers say. They aren't going to share every radio discussion either. He does get upset when things aren't going his way relative to his teammate, but isn't that what happens when there isn't a #1 and #2?

Tifosi24
05-27-14, 04:27 PM
Perhaps my views on his commitment are out of date, but in the past he has seemed more interested in off the track activities at times (season impacted by personal issues a few years back), and this is not a season where that can happen. Unfortunately, the inertia of my mind can be great at times. It is no different than my feelings toward Alonso, I love professional cycling, but I am more interested in your racing exploits than the vaporware cycling team you are working on.

There is one thing I hope we can all agree on though, Hamilton, and other drivers including Alonso, need to be bend their hat bills. Opinionated is correct, the flatbill looks absolutely ridiculous.

Andrew Longman
05-27-14, 05:00 PM
He's too busy trying to be a gangster what with his silly earrings and the flat brim hat...I noticed this week he has a sleeve of ink too.

It is I guess sad and/or I'm just an old fart, but this crap is apparently mainstream fashion now.

Insomniac
05-27-14, 06:14 PM
I noticed this week he has a sleeve of ink too.

It is I guess sad and/or I'm just an old fart, but this crap is apparently mainstream fashion now.

I wouldn't call that mainstream by any means. More acceptable, yes, but I don't think it's anywhere near that popular.

datachicane
05-27-14, 06:22 PM
I noticed this week he has a sleeve of ink too.

Yep. I'm an old fart too, and can remember when ink was just for carnies and elderly sailors who drank too much. I've got a bunch of 20-something friends, though, great kids, and for them it's completely expected and conventional (here in the Pacific NW, anyway).

Not my bag, but then I remember old farts complaining about my long hair umpteen years ago and it all comes into perspective.

cameraman
05-27-14, 06:38 PM
Far more than just his arm...

http://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10390317_655237277890937_4312302429204318886_n.jpg

Seems that his is also very religious judging by what he posts on facebook.

Andrew Longman
05-27-14, 06:47 PM
Yes well. I was at a neighbor picnic yesterday and the nice little girl (who was only unusual in that she went big game hunting with her dad in Alaska as a 9 year old) with normal boring parents now is a nice 20 something woman with a bolt in her eye brow and ink spreading across her back. Otherwise she wants to be a social worker and I see her in church most weeks.

FWIW my kids think it is ridiculous. ;)

Then again one of my kids hangs out with degenerate race fans and none of them will go to church unless their mother threatens to withhold Xmas gifts and Easter candy. :D

cameraman
05-27-14, 06:58 PM
Judging by this hospital I'd say somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the people under 40 have tats. I'm firmly in the tats are idiotic camp. You should see the stuff that comes through this place. Much looks like the "artist" was a drunken 4 year-old. Occasionally I'll see something that was done by a serious artist that looks just mind-boggling but that is far too rare. The majority are just terrible. Also they do not age well:eek:
I just find myself shaking my head going what on earth made you think that was a good idea?

Laser removal is a huge business over in plastic surgery:rolleyes:

gerhard911
05-28-14, 08:48 AM
Yep. I'm an old fart too, and can remember when ink was just for carnies and elderly sailors who drank too much. I've got a bunch of 20-something friends, though, great kids, and for them it's completely expected and conventional (here in the Pacific NW, anyway).

Not my bag, but then I remember old farts complaining about my long hair umpteen years ago and it all comes into perspective.

Yeah, but (most of us) long since cut our hair. Gonna be real difficult for these kids to move on from their fashion statement.

opinionated ow
05-28-14, 11:42 AM
There is nothing more gross than the 'sleeve' tattoo. It's a mark of boganism really. He who finds a way to quickly remove tattoos will be the one who makes the next fortune. I would never employ anybody with visible tattoos, piercings or other similar obvious methods of bodily desecration.

datachicane
05-28-14, 11:51 AM
Yeah, but (most of us) long since cut our hair. Gonna be real difficult for these kids to move on from their fashion statement.

Well, some of us :cool:

In any case, my point is that, within certain limits, hair length stopped being a shocking impediment to most employment long ago. No one bats an eye at collar-length hair that would have made you a pariah in 1965.

Thirty years from now that sleeve tattoo will have exactly the same cultural impact, that is, none. Old guys like us may not like it, but we won't be in charge anymore, just like the old farts that complained about our hair back in the day.

Tifosi24
05-28-14, 12:51 PM
As someone in their early 30s, I will sound like an old codger by saying that I have no idea why people like tattoos, especially sleeve and chest tats. To each their own I suppose, but I am already dreading all the complaining I will hear about 30 years from now when these "works of art" start to looked warn in the tooth. Luckily, I work in an office, so if anyone has sleeve tattoos, I would have no idea.

Gnam
05-28-14, 01:26 PM
There is nothing more gross than the 'sleeve' tattoo. It's a mark of boganism really. He who finds a way to quickly remove tattoos will be the one who makes the next fortune. I would never employ anybody with visible tattoos, piercings or other similar obvious methods of bodily desecration.
The police around here felt the same way until they couldn't find any cadets without tattoos.

Instead of tattoo removal, maybe they'll figure out way to regrow skin without grafting tissue.
If they could grow different colors, you could get a tattoo or a tan to match the season. :gomer:

Rogue Leader
05-28-14, 02:56 PM
Wow such hate and ignorance regarding tattoos here. I have a couple of tattoos on my arms, each one means something to me, my mother even drew one, and good dammit they are my arms I can do what I want with them. While Lewis has a bit more done than what I would ever do, he likes it, it means something to him and so thats what he did. Who cares how they look when you get older, you're old. And if you maintain them (many people don't) then they can look good even as they age.

I can agree some people go to the shop and pick some image out of a book and go with it (and then later regret it), but there are MANY MANY of us out there who have tattoos because we wanted to show something important to us, or change our look, or whatever the reason. You have an opinion thats fine, but just because we have done something you don't like doesn't make us idiots, it makes you one for judging us an idiot for making an aesthetic choice in life.

racermike
05-31-14, 07:01 PM
Adam Carolla said it best last week about tattoo's

So many people have them now, and its only getting more and more the "norm" to have tattoo's, that those of us without any are now the "rebels".

TrueBrit
06-03-14, 07:51 PM
Far more than just his arm...

http://scontent-a-ord.:Dxx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10390317_655237277890937_4312302429204318886_n.jpg

Seems that his is also very religious judging by what he posts on facebook.

God-botherers with tattoos crack me up...have you read the book, or just the bits you like? :D

devilmaster
06-03-14, 09:47 PM
God-botherers with tattoos crack me up...have you read the book, or just the bits you like? :D

Not to upset the bosses, but that sentence could be said for -alot- of wackos who quote scripture for their own gain.... :shakehead:

Andrew Longman
06-03-14, 10:00 PM
Rouge: I was raised to respect all art and words. I may not like all of it or appreciate it, but I respect it.

No offense meant.

But all artists and writers need to endure their critics too. ;)