PDA

View Full Version : Epic race control fail at Silverstone

cameraman
05-26-14, 05:47 PM
This was at the Formula Renault 2.0 NEC race yesterday.

-I6AJzyuBAw

:shakehead:

SteveH
05-26-14, 05:53 PM
a situation that is not exactly ideal for the start of a race

:rofl:

NismoZ
05-26-14, 06:16 PM
At least it wasn't an ambulance, or was it a fire truck (?) heading down the track as the field accelerated to a rolling start. That one actually looked worse than this one. Was it Graham Rahal who nearly had IndyCar's first head-on wreck...before the green even waved!? Now THAT was epic. :shakehead:

Mary
05-26-14, 10:05 PM
That is seriously screwed up! They were very lucky; could have been a big, old, mess.

On another note, I thought the announcer was calling a horse race with that rapid-fire call.

Mary

devilmaster
05-26-14, 10:08 PM
I sorta recall Danny Sullivan talking about a mosport death where the driver drove his car underneath the rear of an ambulance on the track. In the skip barber handbook I think....

Gnam
05-27-14, 01:15 PM
from smackedforum:

eyewitness accounts of several near misses at this year's Indy 500 involving safety crews. :shakehead:

http://www.smackedforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1655&start=200#p38813

Rus'L
05-28-14, 03:41 PM
At least it wasn't an ambulance, or was it a fire truck (?) heading down the track as the field accelerated to a rolling start. That one actually looked worse than this one. Was it Graham Rahal who nearly had IndyCar's first head-on wreck...before the green even waved!? Now THAT was epic. :shakehead:

It was a Safety Truck which decided to go to the next station against traffic when they gave the green to the field at Baltimore.

Rus'L
05-28-14, 03:43 PM
I sorta recall Danny Sullivan talking about a mosport death where the driver drove his car underneath the rear of an ambulance on the track. In the skip barber handbook I think....

Yes, that's a lesson anyone who attended the Skip Barber Racing School is taught.

It was a very long time ago during a Formula Ford race (I think during the F1 weekend) and a trailing car either didn't see the flags or there weren't any, and popped out to make a pass. Unfortunately, the ambulance was on that side of the track, and he went under it, killing him instantly.

TedN
05-28-14, 06:53 PM
Driver's name was Wayne Kelly (http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=1934). I remember that day at Mosport. Dreadful weather (rain and fog) delayed everythng. Then this horrid incident and the investigation afterwards which further delayed the F1 race. Couldn't wait to get home.

Ted