PDA

View Full Version : No qualifying discussion?

dando
05-16-14, 09:16 PM
:tony:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/05/16/indycar-series-hopeful-rules-tweaks-inject-drama-into-indianapolis-500/

How did I miss these changes? Oh yeah, I'm still waiting on that tree to fall in the forest. :gomer:

cameraman
05-16-14, 09:37 PM
So that is this weekend? Huh. Need to pay more attention.

dando
05-16-14, 09:44 PM
So that is this weekend? Huh. Need to pay more attention.

And the race is next Sunday. Just a friendly reminder to set your DVR. :gomer:

So the Month of May has been reduced to 4 hours of May, plus the race. Nice job :tony:. :shakehead:

cameraman
05-16-14, 09:47 PM
So I vaguely remember something about one of the Busch ****sticks running a double header. Is that actually happening? I'd look but that would violate my wgaf.

Dvdb
05-16-14, 10:22 PM
Yea, one of the Busch brothers is running. He was at 224 when I looked a few days ago.................middle pack as I recall.

Andrew Longman
05-16-14, 11:02 PM
And the race is next Sunday. Just a friendly reminder to set your DVR. :gomer:

So the Month of May has been reduced to 4 hours of May, plus the race. Nice job :tony:. :shakehead:You are forgetting the road course race that kicked things off last weekend. :tony:

I was never able to fully process the new qualifying format but if iirc the pole winner tomorrow won't necessarily stay pole winner on Sunday. Or something like that... to make up for the fact that there will not be bumping because not too many people are clamoring to get into the race.

fWIW it looks as if pole will be a respectable 232+mph. Twenty plus years later they might actually get speeds back to where they were and again headed northwards. Too bad it is too late.

dando
05-17-14, 09:11 AM
Yea, one of the Busch brothers is running. He was at 224 when I looked a few days ago.................middle pack as I recall.

From a local hack covering the race:

Tim May ‏@TIM_MAYsports 4m
Here early in the delayed pre-qualifying practice at Indy, cross-over driver Kurt Busch just ran fastest lap of week, 230.922 mph.

Tim May ‏@TIM_MAYsports 10m
Busch, of course, will attempt the daily double next weekend, running Indy 500 for first time and Coca-Cola 600 on same day.

dando
05-17-14, 10:08 AM
fWIW it looks as if pole will be a respectable 232+mph. Twenty plus years later they might actually get speeds back to where they were and again headed northwards. Too bad it is too late.

Tim May ‏@TIM_MAYsports 33m
Marco Andretti fastest in first group of Indy practice this a.m. at 232.239 mph.

dando
05-17-14, 10:33 AM
Tim May ‏@TIM_MAYsports 13m
Last Indy pole winner with 230-plus run was Castroneves (231.725, 2002). Different engine rules make comparisons moot, but 230 might be back

Tim May ‏@TIM_MAYsports 16m
There were 12 cars 230-plus mph in pre-quals practice this a.m. topped by Marco Andretti's 232.239. Many got tows, but still fast.

Sorry, Tim just keeps popping up in my Twitter feed. :gomer:

Dvdb
05-17-14, 01:26 PM
Such drama..................

1:30 Eastern and 31 cars are locked in...........two more getting set for their runs...........Buddy Lazier warming up..................

"And he's on it"....................

Chief
05-17-14, 01:40 PM
You all have been duped...those speeds are artificial. IMS gives em more boost just fer qualies. Faux drama, i have no respect for them at all.

dando
05-17-14, 01:58 PM
Tim May ‏@TIM_MAYsports 21m
Kurt Busch (229.256) currently 12th, his Andretti Autosport team pondering whether to run again. He has to leave at 2:45 p.m. for Charlotte.

Now THAT'S drama for ya. :gomer:

Dvdb
05-17-14, 02:21 PM
Busch now in 3rd........so who runs the car if he qualifies for the.............wait for it..........wait for it.........the race for THE POLE!!!

and where the hell is BIF?

Chief
05-17-14, 02:52 PM
Busch now in 3rd........so who runs the car if he qualifies for the.............wait for it..........wait for it.........the race for THE POLE!!!

and where the hell is BIF?

I wish I knew...i aint got cable so no ESPN3. I thought today was bump/fill field day and tomorrow is pole day? They get endless pointless attempts right so's they can race in the fast nine or some such? A stupid joke its all become. :confused:

Dvdb
05-17-14, 03:33 PM
I am guessing they mentioned it but I had ESPN3 on mute as I was watching the Cards game, listening to Forrest Whitaker deliver the commencement speech at Miami, and paying bills.

Yes, I can multi-task like a mofo.

dando
05-17-14, 04:20 PM
Field filled. Check.

Tim May ‏@TIM_MAYsports 5m
For the record, 33 drivers have made qualifying runs at Indy today, which means there will be a full field on race day, regardless.

Duroc
05-17-14, 05:05 PM
Grandstands are empty.

TKGAngel
05-17-14, 06:11 PM
My head hurts.

So you can pull your time and go to the front of the qualifying line, or you can *not* pull your time and still re-qualify but have to wait if someone comes into the priority line? :confused:

Dvdb
05-17-14, 11:06 PM
I was so confused that I went out and got my drank on.

where were we?

gerhard911
05-18-14, 01:39 AM
A :gomer: alternate reality where everything is just fine at 16th and Jonestown.

Except broken pavement, rusting steel, disintegrating concrete, empty stands, pathetic TV ratings and any excitement over the Month-o-May whatsoever.

dando
05-18-14, 12:53 PM
My head hurts.

So you can pull your time and go to the front of the qualifying line, or you can *not* pull your time and still re-qualify but have to wait if someone comes into the priority line? :confused:

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/indycar/making-sense-of-this-weekends-qualifying-format-for-the-indy-500/

Qualifying Lines:

There will be two qualifying lines at the end of pit lane:

Line 1: Cars that are unqualified or have withdrawn their previous qualifying times. Priority will be given to this lane.

Line 2: Cars that have already qualified but want another attempt and have not withdrawn their previous qualifying times.

Multiple attempts are permitted without withdrawing a time by entering Line 2.

Teams can withdraw their time and enter Line 1, which will have priority over cars already in the field.

Teams that make multiple attempts can only improve their times if they have not withdrawn their time to enter Line 2, meaning, even if a driver records a slower four-lap average, that driver’s previous (faster) time will stand.

NismoZ
05-18-14, 01:05 PM
Kurt just put in 4 at +230 for 12th. The "FAST 9" for the pole starts now on ABC. Hey, they sound as good as F-1!;)... and look at US! IndyCar qualifying beats the Spanish Grand Prix 24-0! I KNEW you guys liked Indy!

RTKar
05-18-14, 03:02 PM
33 cars entered, 33 cars make the field. Tricked up qualifying procedure. Nothing to see here except butt ugly cars.

G.
05-18-14, 03:44 PM
the camera operators need to figure out how to make these pigs look fast.

Maybe it's the HD video feed (on a 420 TV), maybe it's the fact* that ugly looks slower, but this did not look like 230.

Ed Carpenti-yay takes the pole! My kid told me he got pole last year. I did not know that. I grounded him. :gomer:

The bits I heard from Dario were actually interesting, but I only caught parts of the end.

Wheel-Nut
05-18-14, 04:18 PM
33 cars entered, 33 cars make the field. Tricked up qualifying procedure. Nothing to see here except butt ugly cars.

I started watching the Fast 9. I fell asleep and only woke when I heard the basketball coverage start.

That was so boring. :thumbdown: :shakehead:

dando
05-18-14, 05:43 PM
The fast 9 was undewhelming to say the least. I only caught a few bits, but there was an hour lead up to to the cars running. Srsly? :saywhat: :shakehead: :thumbdown: I did catch the piece on Sam Schmidt and the modified 'vette they made for him. :thumbup:

Duroc
05-18-14, 06:35 PM
http://cdn-7.motorsport.com/static/img/mgl/1700000/1700000/1701000/1701400/1701417/s1_1.jpg

There is no sound of life, but the stillness of a catacomb,
only as our footsteps fall dull on the deserted sidewalk,
and a funeral troop of echoes bump their elfin heads
against the dead walls and closed shutters in reply,
and this is Mindy. Says a melancholy voice:
"And this is Mindy."

Mary
05-18-14, 07:58 PM
I saw that Stan Van Gundy & Mark Jackson took a ride with Mario Andretti in their two-seater during half time of the Heat's basketball game. Does this count?

Mary

OOPS, I maybe it was Jeff Van Gundy, LOL!

mueber
05-19-14, 10:31 AM
Jacques Villeneuve? Really? Geez.

Wheel-Nut
05-19-14, 10:58 AM
Buddy Lazier is . . . . still there . . . . .still there . . . . still there . . . . WTF!!?

TrueBrit
05-19-14, 02:53 PM
I tuned in just for s****s and giggles and heard "Fast 9" and thought Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

It was fun listening to Dario talk about how glad he was to be watching rather than driving those crapwagons...

Andrew Longman
05-19-14, 03:23 PM
I was also shocked and sad to hear Dario still has some concussion symptoms and no longer can run.

But also happy to be able to listen to his "expert" color over Cheever and Goodyear.

cameraman
05-19-14, 04:50 PM
Seems there was a practices session today and Kurt Busch smacked the wall.
He wasn't injured but the car is pretty well trashed.

pG-NdMS1Imw

Sounds like the public address announcer talking to an empty speedway.

Andrew Longman
05-19-14, 04:53 PM
Turning right at Indy. Channelling Piquet and Smiley and looks like he might have even missed the end of the safer barrier. Car might be a right off.

Glad he walked away though. Very glad.

gerhard911
05-19-14, 05:38 PM
Car might be a right off.

:laugh: If that was an intended pun.

:rolleyes: If not.

He musta been following some of the "tips" I heard on NBCSN that Danica had given him :shakehead:

Duroc
05-19-14, 08:11 PM
Now wait a minute..... How the hell did Ed Carpenter end up on pole? Did the top teams wave off for Happy Hour and get rained out?...:laugh: I hope that spinner was only for qualifying, because Ed for sure is capable of putting too hot a ride into the grater.

Dvdb
05-19-14, 10:27 PM
Early prediction.........Special Ed leads most laps, narrative is Big Teams vs. small teams......Hitch is there in the final 25 laps.......and a damn foreigner wins.........Juan Pablo Montoya

Dvdb
05-19-14, 10:28 PM
and again..........where the hell is BIF?

Chief
05-20-14, 10:32 AM
Kurt Busch totaled his primary car yesterday in practice...he has no backup either. Kurt's out of the race!!! :(

Or is he? Apparently some new rule allows the driver to retain his starting position regardless of what car he uses. In this case, it's Marco's backup. Oh, and he keeps his 12th starting position too. :confused:

Over 100 years of a time honored tradition of "the car qualifies, not the driver"...GONE pooof. :shakehead:

Now, I know someone will chide me about evolution and change is good...but, WTF? Nothing is sacred there anymore. If these jackasses haven't learned to NOT screw with success yet, when will they learn....when there's no success left to squander? :flaming:

Andrew Longman
05-20-14, 11:08 AM
I think any possible remaining success left the building somewhere around when Rachel's Potato Chips carried underacheever to victory lane and espn color commentary immortality, and certainly before Simmons-brokered Carmelo-backed Mindy500-tattooed PJ Chesson took out himself and his teammate on lap 2 after a month of telling us on myspace how much boozed he charged to room service.

Wheel-Nut
05-20-14, 11:38 AM
Kurt Busch totaled his primary car yesterday in practice...he has no backup either. Kurt's out of the race!!! :(

Or is he? Apparently some new rule allows the driver to retain his starting position regardless of what car he uses. In this case, it's Marco's backup. Oh, and he keeps his 12th starting position too. :confused:

Over 100 years of a time honored tradition of "the car qualifies, not the driver"...GONE pooof. :shakehead:

Now, I know someone will chide me about evolution and change is good...but, WTF? Nothing is sacred there anymore. If these jackasses haven't learned to NOT screw with success yet, when will they learn....when there's no success left to squander? :flaming:

Sammich has nothing to say about this?

TKGAngel
05-20-14, 01:43 PM
I was also shocked and sad to hear Dario still has some concussion symptoms and no longer can run.

But also happy to be able to listen to his "expert" color over Cheever and Goodyear.

More about Dario's recovery here - http://racing.ap.org/article/franchitti-peace-he-roams-indy-spectator

Was it always a thing that cars got more HP for qualifying than they did for racing? Or is that just to up the drama?

I have a wedding to be at during the latter half of the race (no, it's not mine). So that's one less TV to be watching the race on Sunday.

SteveH
05-20-14, 02:00 PM

This is ********

mapguy
05-20-14, 07:13 PM
Wasn't one of the reasons why that coke addled, ***** lottery winning idiot pulled his tantrum was to protect Indy's traditions from those evil CART owners?

Andrew Longman
05-20-14, 08:14 PM
Was it always a thing that cars got more HP for qualifying than they did for racing? Or is that just to up the drama? .

That's just to up the drama. And they did it last year too. Maybe longer but I forget.

As for the driver now qualifying not the driver, that sort of makes sense. The cars are essentially spec, including whatever he puts on the line as a replacement.

Long gone are the days of innovation by manufacturers and ambitious lone players who needing the entire month on track to develop the car. Now pretty much the driver and team are the only differences that matter. Sad, stupid but true.

chop456
05-21-14, 01:07 AM
Wasn't one of the reasons why that coke addled, ***** lottery winning idiot pulled his tantrum was to protect Indy's traditions from those evil CART owners?

No.

Wait - yes.

I don't know. :tony:

Disgusting? Yes. Surprising? Hardly.

BigIrlFan
05-25-14, 12:11 AM
HAy you CArt strret race loosers you gonna wach the big race tamarrow? Or you wachin teh Us 5 hunnert? hahahahahahahaha. HOwd that work out anyways? hahahahahahahaha WHo needs milk? WHy turn right? And IM drunkerd up. Im gonna fire up the twitter for teh race tamorrow so check me out you NAncy boys.

https://twitter.com/BigIrlFan

OH yeah, BUck herd that maybe PUtins flyin in to see that commie run at INdy. HOpe teh damed RUssins don't take over teh track. Coud happen. #REdthreat

HOpe MAri dont sell it to RUssins.

Im gonna go molest ADrian. WEll thats waht she calls it. I say its wifely duty time hahahahahahahaha