PDA

View Full Version : Well, that started well

Dvdb
05-10-14, 04:00 PM
Standing start..........sure, let's give it a try. :D

TKGAngel
05-10-14, 04:07 PM
Standing start..........sure, let's give it a try. :D

I'm glad everyone is out of their cars and reasonably ok, but those safety team guys standing on the dividing wall between pits and track are going to need some new drawers after being that close to the wreck. I also can't imagine that a carbon fiber shower feels that good.

And Munoz, SMH. Stay in yer lane.

ETA: why are there giant chunks of grandstand on the outside of the track that are tarped off?

Dvdb
05-10-14, 10:38 PM
Didn't notice the tarps.

I did see that the Indy Mayor, "honorary" starter, got hit by debris and needed attention.

Elmo T
05-11-14, 06:27 AM
but those safety team guys standing on the dividing wall between pits and track are going to need some new drawers after being that close to the wreck.

Speaking of, what is the deal with the workers out at the top/outside the box of the pit stalls on a hot track? Are the rules that important?

cameraman
05-11-14, 02:33 PM
Ever tasteful, look what the Hulman George clan came up with for their new race.

http://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/10305073_302627163226135_6503632517373483216_n.jpg

:saywhat:

TKGAngel
05-11-14, 03:33 PM
^^ I don't mean to alarm those drivers, but it appears some punch bowls have gotten stuck to the tops of their trophies. :saywhat:

NismoZ
05-11-14, 05:19 PM
I went...I saw...I left.

TravelGal
05-11-14, 11:58 PM
What an abomination. Just cranked up the DVR. The only good part was the the whole race took a small amount of time due to fast-forwarding. The trifecta of nothing happening combined with booooooooring announcers and poor camera work. So great to be back on ABC. Then we got a 15 minute infomercial on skin care while I wondered why Castroneves couldn't pass RHR and what happened to Hinch. :rolleyes:

Gnam
05-12-14, 04:12 AM
Did any driver do a double header with the Nascar race? :p

Andrew Longman
05-12-14, 09:34 AM
I do have to that this track layout is miles better than the F1 track. It flows better and it is fast. But it didn't seem too challenging, had a wide margin for error and didn't seem to be too taxing.

Anyone know the gate? Didn't Robin Miller promise someone a dinner if it drew more than IIRC more than 45K?

indyfan31
05-12-14, 10:03 AM
I went...I saw...I left.

Well, at least you had no trouble getting out of the parking lot quickly. ;)

cameraman
05-12-14, 11:38 AM
I do have to that this track layout is miles better than the F1 track. It flows better and it is fast. But it didn't seem too challenging, had a wide margin for error and didn't seem to be too taxing.

Anyone know the gate? Didn't Robin Miller promise someone a dinner if it drew more than IIRC more than 45K?

If you look at the round 1 qualifying times (both sessions) 24/25 cars were within 1 second. This at a track that none had ever driven prior to the weekend. That tells me that the track was far too easy and the cars are built to an IROC-like spec. The series really is a joke.

Rus'L
05-12-14, 12:48 PM

I heard around 21,000.

Pathetic. This event was put in because they felt it would draw more than an extra weekend of qualifying. Carb day used to draw more than this.

dando
05-12-14, 04:16 PM
Was there a race recently? In other news, a tree fell in a forest and didn't make a sound.

:tony:

Duroc
05-12-14, 09:04 PM
I heard around 21,000.

Pathetic. This event was put in because they felt it would draw more than an extra weekend of qualifying. Carb day used to draw more than this.

watch me pull a number out of my backside....over 20k won't sound like a complete disaster... I'm sure with team members, comps, unused promotional tickets and ghosts of Indy it's kind of close.

The rot is now destroying the host. Once they burn through the tax give-away, that will be all she wrote.

Chief
05-13-14, 02:29 PM
I heard around 21,000.

Sunday attendance was about 2500, Monday 400, Tuesday 50...21k folks musta beat it outta dodge real quick. No carry over.

One point no one seems to make is how much of the 21,000 will hurt the actual 500. I say alot.

Elmo T
05-13-14, 03:38 PM
Grand Prix of Indianapolis wins local TV ratings race, less impressive nationally (http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2014-05-12-grand-prix-of-indianapolis-wins-local-tv-ratings-race-less-impressive-nationally/PARAMS/post/47621)

While attendance Saturday didn’t beat the 40,000 bodies Miles wanted by much, if at all, attendance was certainly higher than any opening day at the track in well over a decade. Long-time motorsports journalist Robin Miller estimated Saturday’s crowd at 25,000 to 30,000. I would guess it to be a little higher than that, but probably not near 50,000.

Some of those I interviewed went as far as to say the revamped road course was the nicest road course in North America.

While the race’s highlights didn’t exactly lead ESPN’s SportsCenter on Saturday night and Sunday morning, it did warrant a mention,

And you can continue into the comments for more :rofl::laugh:

In Philly, the race on ABC was prempted by the Dad Vail Regatta on the river. The race was shown on the ABC Live Well network.