PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, you didn't.....

dando
05-09-14, 03:14 AM
Here's Johnny...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/johnny_manziel_on_joining_the.html

Sorry, I had to post a new thread on this.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10903195/2014-nfl-draft-johnny-manziel-drafted-cleveland-browns-no-22-overall-pick

The Browns believe the hype surrounding Manziel and the issues outside the team will not be a problem.

"The shot in the arm that I would rather give this organization is in the fall," Browns coach Mike Pettine said Thursday night. "We talked about that before. Talk is cheap. Hype is exactly that."

:laugh:

chop456
05-09-14, 03:42 AM
I'm having a hard time deciding whether he's the new Brady Quinn or the new Colt McCoy. :thumbup:

I wish only the best for Don Q. :D

dando
05-09-14, 09:02 AM
I'm having a hard time deciding whether he's the new Brady Quinn or the new Colt McCoy. :thumbup:

I wish only the best for Don Q. :D

I think he jumped off the roof. :gomer: Note that he shares the same uni # as Tim Couch (#2).

chop456
05-09-14, 09:12 AM
How could I forget Couch?

Oh, right. :laugh:

P.S. I'm writing this from my glass house.

Andrew Longman
05-09-14, 10:35 AM
As a Giants fan I was disappointed the 'Boys didn't take him. And the Iggles traded away their chance to get him.

Good luck Browns fans.

Napoleon
05-09-14, 12:50 PM
Dear Lord!

Don Quixote
05-09-14, 03:16 PM
Screw all of you, except fellow Browns sufferer Nappy.

BTW, I read where the Browns sold 1500 season tics so far today. See, its not about winning ....

Napoleon
05-09-14, 04:15 PM
Screw all of you, except fellow Browns sufferer Nappy.

BTW, I read where the Browns sold 1500 season tics so far today. See, its not about winning ....

On the morning news they said the Brown's sales staff stayed late last night because they were getting so many calls after that pick was made.

Napoleon
05-09-14, 05:31 PM
On the news they say he is the shortest QB taken in the first 2 rounds since 53.

devilmaster
05-09-14, 06:35 PM
and now they may lose WR Gordon for the year due to a drug test...

Gnam
05-09-14, 06:51 PM
In next week's episode, the Browns hire Tim Tebow while downplaying any QB controversy. :D

http://s30.postimg.org/8pzw8zu2p/Screen_Shot_2014_01_13_at_3_43_46_PM.png

dando
05-10-14, 03:57 AM
and now they may lose WR Gordon for the year due to a drug test...

Not to mention that Nate Burleson broke his arm in minicamp. And this gem...

Tom Reed ‏@treed1919 3h
Farmer: "I am not concerned w/ my depth at wide receiver."

:confused:

All can add is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2xauk4l_Hg

:laugh:

devilmaster
05-10-14, 01:07 PM
Not to mention that Nate Burleson broke his arm in minicamp..

Late Night Pizza Run AGAIN?!?!?!? :rofl:

nrc
05-10-14, 05:36 PM
Looks like Brent Musburger will be a Bengals fan now. :)

dando
05-11-14, 04:43 AM
Rams draft Sam.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10913755/2014-nfl-draft-michael-sam-drafted-st-louis-rams-seventh-

Not there's anything wrong with that. :gomer: ;)

stroker
05-11-14, 09:54 AM
There are two reasons I hope Sam will succeed in the NFL. One, he's a former Tiger and here in Columbia that's important. Two, I want him to come up with a little (little) dance or gesture he can do every time he gets a tackle which can be called "The Westboro Shuffle".

:D

Dvdb
05-11-14, 11:53 AM
He is going to have an uphill climb just making the Rams roster. We are stacked on the line. But he does have some skill and talents that he is bringing to the table that the Rams can utilize.

Heard the Rams had 35ish interview requests for Sam in the first two hours, including one from Australia.

It will be an interesting social experiment to watch.

And I have to think this puts the Rams on Hard Knocks this season, for better or worse. Coach Fisher has been adamantly against it.

Andrew Longman
05-11-14, 05:43 PM
And I have to think this puts the Rams on Hard Knocks this season, for better or worse. Coach Fisher has been adamantly against it. I think worse.

I'm with Fischer. This is in the nothing to see here category. His private life was an open secret in college and his teammate didn't show that it mattered to them at all.

I suspect it helped that he played so well and was important to the teams success, but it is a matter of team leadership to keep focused on what really matters... Something that apparently was lacking at the Dolphins last year and always a challenge with young men who are valued first for their physical capabilities and down the list for open minded ness.

WickerBill
05-11-14, 07:01 PM
I'm thinking the Browns have to be the #1 Hard Knocks choice. Gotta tap into Johnny Football mania before it flames out in week four.

Dvdb
05-11-14, 09:53 PM
Have the Browns been on Hard Knocks before?

Apparently there is a "formula" for selecting the team they follow. The Rams were mentioned in a few local reports and some bulletin boards I follow as a candidate even before the Sam selection.

But I think Sam makes a more compelling and broader plotline than Manziel.

nrc
05-12-14, 09:30 AM
Have the Browns been on Hard Knocks before?

Apparently there is a "formula" for selecting the team they follow. The Rams were mentioned in a few local reports and some bulletin boards I follow as a candidate even before the Sam selection.

But I think Sam makes a more compelling and broader plotline than Manziel.

I'm not sure if it's a formula or just a set of rules for who's allowed to say no. Supposedly if nobody agrees then the rules kick in and you can only say no if you've done it in the last ten years, you have a new coach, or you were in the playoffs. So St Louis would seem to be a prime choice.

Andrew Longman
05-12-14, 09:45 AM
He is going to have an uphill climb just making the Rams roster. We are stacked on the line. But he does have some skill and talents that he is bringing to the table that the Rams can utilize.the Giants formula for many years was to have a boat load of pass rushers they can rotate in to always have fresh legs to play havoc and bring jailbreak pressure. With prevalence of the spread having speed on the line every play has a premium.

Still seventh rounders rarely make the team but if he can show he can play for real at this level he may get picked up by someone before camps end.

indyfan31
05-12-14, 10:01 AM
At 260 lbs, isn't he a bit "small" for a DE?
Aside from that, this is a public relations nightmare for the Rams, especially if he doesn't make the cut.

Andrew Longman
05-12-14, 04:54 PM
At 260 lbs, isn't he a bit "small" for a DE?
Aside from that, this is a public relations nightmare for the Rams, especially if he doesn't make the cut.Umenyiora, Tuck and Pierre Paul are all about that. Speed and wingspan are more important at DE so long as you can hold ground against the rush.

I don't think this hurts the Rams. They may have a steal in a 7th round pick and will take no grief in cutting a 7th rounder who didn't do well at the combines. And most (younger people esp.) will give them credit for getting in step with the times.

indyfan31
05-13-14, 10:08 AM
Umenyiora, Tuck and Pierre Paul are all about that. Speed and wingspan are more important at DE so long as you can hold ground against the rush.

I don't think this hurts the Rams. They may have a steal in a 7th round pick and will take no grief in cutting a 7th rounder who didn't do well at the combines. And most (younger people esp.) will give them credit for getting in step with the times.

I'm just thinking about the scrum of reporters flooding into the locker room every Sunday to ask stupid questions that have nothing to do with the game that will be or has been played. Just sayin', how many 7th round draft picks had a camera crew waiting for a phone call?

Gnam
05-13-14, 11:41 AM
How many 7th round draft picks had a camera crew waiting for a phone call?
Danica Patrick effect.

stroker
05-13-14, 12:42 PM
Danica Patrick effect.

Must...

Not...

Say...

It.

Andrew Longman
05-13-14, 03:05 PM
. Just sayin', how many 7th round draft picks had a camera crew waiting for a phone call?I hear ya, but it is only today's news. Unlike Danica if the Rams don't win and he doesn't play well enough to get/keep a job then he won't be there to interview. And if he does play well enough then there will be his play to talk about.

Or so I hope. :)

Gnam
05-13-14, 03:58 PM
In other draft day news...

http://s27.postimg.org/l7l3zlgab/NFL_bound.jpg

The Aggies – all three first-team All-Americans – that heard their names called on Thursday were offensive tackle Jake Matthews (No. 6 to the Atlanta Falcons), wide receiver Mike Evans (No. 7 to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and quarterback Johnny Manziel (No. 22 to the Cleveland Browns).

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=209492384

Did anyone notice how many UT players were drafted?
Was it zero? :D

Don Quixote
05-14-14, 09:47 AM
In other draft day news...

http://s27.postimg.org/l7l3zlgab/NFL_bound.jpg

Did anyone notice how many UT players were drafted?
Was it zero? :DYikes, the pipeline to the NFL has a break. First their Longhorn Network with less viewers than the IRL and now this!

Andrew Longman
05-14-14, 10:41 AM
Do I have it correct that the Longhorn Network is not available on the dominant cable provider in Austin?

dando
05-14-14, 11:00 AM
Do I have it correct that the Longhorn Network is not available on the dominant cable provider in Austin?

That's probably TWC, and I wouldn't put it past them since they don't carry the Dodgers in LALA. :saywhat:

Insomniac
05-14-14, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure if it's a formula or just a set of rules for who's allowed to say no. Supposedly if nobody agrees then the rules kick in and you can only say no if you've done it in the last ten years, you have a new coach, or you were in the playoffs. So St Louis would seem to be a prime choice.

You have it right. If no one volunteers, they have a formula for who could be forced.

Insomniac
05-14-14, 04:07 PM
I'm just thinking about the scrum of reporters flooding into the locker room every Sunday to ask stupid questions that have nothing to do with the game that will be or has been played. Just sayin', how many 7th round draft picks had a camera crew waiting for a phone call?

It's Tebowmania. It can be managed to a degree by the team, then the rest is up to Michael Sam.

indyfan31
05-14-14, 05:18 PM
It's Tebowmania. It can be managed to a degree by the team, then the rest is up to Michael Sam.

True. Unfortunately the rest of the team will also have to endure the slew of moronic "What's it like to play with ... ?" questions.

Dvdb
05-14-14, 08:05 PM
It was only a matter of time............

http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/14/michael-sam-oprah-winfrey-network-documentary/?eref=sihp

Gnam
05-14-14, 08:57 PM
Lifetime Achievement award at the next ESPYs in 3...2...1...

The Cardinals better do something interesting quick, or they'll be the only team in the NFC West without a "dramatic" story line.

pfc_m_drake
05-14-14, 09:04 PM
At least the Browns draft legitimate 'name' guys to play quarterback. You could be a Bills fan.
Needs more Trent Edwards and J.P. LossMan...

Insomniac
05-15-14, 08:22 AM
True. Unfortunately the rest of the team will also have to endure the slew of moronic "What's it like to play with ... ?" questions.

They can manage that as well. The national media usually show up on the same day. It will be asked and answered for the most part pretty quick.

It was only a matter of time............

http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/14/michael-sam-oprah-winfrey-network-documentary/?eref=sihp

Almost on queue? Now we know football isn't the most important thing to him. I doubt this came together in a few days.

Dvdb
05-15-14, 01:00 PM
And it was announced the day after his presser in St. Louis where he repeatedly said he was here to be a football player and win Super Bowls.

A bit hypocritical.

I am anxious to see how much access the Rams allow.

I know he hasn't signed a Rams contract yet, so maybe money is a factor in the decision. Or he was seduced by the Oprah magnetism????

Gnam
05-15-14, 04:02 PM
I just realized I don't care if the media/NFL/Oprah focuses too much on Michael Sams' personal life.
At least he's not a homicidal maniac. :shakehead:

Aaron Hernandez charged in 2 more shooting deaths

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Aaron-Hernandez-charged-in-2-more-shooting-deaths-5480549.php

Insomniac
05-16-14, 08:53 AM
And it was announced the day after his presser in St. Louis where he repeatedly said he was here to be a football player and win Super Bowls.

A bit hypocritical.

I am anxious to see how much access the Rams allow.

I know he hasn't signed a Rams contract yet, so maybe money is a factor in the decision. Or he was seduced by the Oprah magnetism????

RealityTV isn't usually a big moneymaker unless the ratings are high and the cast can't be changed. I'd think he stands to make more in the NFL and with endorsements.

Excluding a bonus, the minimum salaries for the next 4 years is:

2014 $420k
2015 $495k
2016 $570k
2017 $645k

TKGAngel
05-16-14, 10:29 AM
RealityTV isn't usually a big moneymaker unless the ratings are high and the cast can't be changed. I'd think he stands to make more in the NFL and with endorsements.

Exhibit A: jersey shore. MTV made the money on the show, the cast made their cash on the club circuit and via "endorsement" deals.

Rumor has it that the NFL already has orders for over 20,000 Sam jerseys.

Dvdb
05-16-14, 10:50 AM
He has to make the team first in order to receive a paycheck.

I wouldn't be surprised if his "agents", who are the producers of the show, make more off it than he does.

And he gets nothing from the sales of jerseys.

nrc
05-16-14, 11:17 AM
He has to make the team first in order to receive a paycheck.

I wouldn't be surprised if his "agents", who are the producers of the show, make more off it than he does.

And he gets nothing from the sales of jerseys.

It's true that the rookie wage scale doesn't kick in until they make the team, but they do get paid something during training camp. About $1000 a week, as I recall.

Dvdb
05-16-14, 12:14 PM
Yep, they get a per diem, and room and board during camp.

But my point is still the same. Hypocritical to say in your introductory press conference that you are here to be a football player, and two days later announce that you are the subject of a documentary focused on your lifestyle. I really doubt Oprah is going to focus on his football skills.

Guess we will find out in a few months what Sam's true motivation is.

dando
05-16-14, 08:35 PM
Sam documentary off for now.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10944070/michael-sam-documentary-oprah-winfrey-network-postponed

cameraman
05-16-14, 09:12 PM
Sam documentary off for now.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10944070/michael-sam-documentary-oprah-winfrey-network-postponed

WHAT?!? Common sense? There is no place for common sense in professional sports & the entertainment industry:flaming:

dando
05-16-14, 09:21 PM
WHAT?!? Common sense? There is no place for common sense in professional sports & the entertainment industry:flaming:

They must be reading our thread. :gomer:

Dvdb
05-16-14, 10:20 PM
Yeaaaa!!

:d

Insomniac
05-17-14, 06:36 PM
Exhibit A: jersey shore. MTV made the money on the show, the cast made their cash on the club circuit and via "endorsement" deals.

Rumor has it that the NFL already has orders for over 20,000 Sam jerseys.

Not 100% sure if this is in support of what I said, but they were able to get a pretty big raise.

Insomniac
05-17-14, 06:39 PM
I refuse to call it a documentary.