PDA

View Full Version : Has F1 gotten so bad...?

stroker
03-30-14, 06:28 PM
that nobody HERE cares about it any more? No comments on the race this weekend?

Insomniac
03-30-14, 06:36 PM
Just not much to talk about. One team dominated, not much action. Williams "controversy".

mapguy
03-30-14, 06:56 PM
Massa's an idiot.

Insomniac
03-30-14, 07:14 PM
I did forget Leigh Diffey nearly out of breath talking about the rookie Magnussen for a good 30s to only have a producer inform him it was actually Button the whole time. Fuel consumption stuff could be neat, but didn't show much today. Williams used the least, but they were also sitting in 7th/8th. A lot of good saving fuel did them. Why didn't they turn it up? Can't save it for the next race.

opinionated ow
03-30-14, 09:12 PM
Massa's an idiot.

Why would he get out of the way? He spent years being told to get out of Alonso and Schumacher's way. Bottas never got close enough to make a pass...

cameraman
03-31-14, 04:45 AM
Why would he get out of the way? He spent years being told to get out of Alonso and Schumacher's way. Bottas never got close enough to make a pass...

Early on in the race when Massa had a hissy fit when Bottas approached, Bottas was definitely quicker. His forward progress ended when he reached Massa. At the end when they finally told Massa to let him go he was also faster but spent so much time following Massa that again he wore out his tires. By the last lap or two it was too late.

Bottas is generally faster than Massa in race conditions and he passes better. If Massa expects that Bottas will never be allowed to pass him then it will be a very long season for Williams.

cameraman
03-31-14, 04:48 AM
that nobody HERE cares about it any more? No comments on the race this weekend?

Didn't miss a minute of the coverage as I watched it live in MSNBC then watched it again on a torrent of the Skye coverage Sunday night where I saw the 25% of the race I missed due to commercials the first time through:shakehead:

mapguy
03-31-14, 06:54 AM

When Bottas caught him the first time Massa moaned to the team to order Bottas not to pass. He can't pick and choose which team orders to obey.

WickerBill
03-31-14, 08:37 AM
Race was pretty dull, but I did enjoy parts of it. I hope the rumor is true that they may do away with the fuel economy requirements mid-season (Todt had an interesting "What? That isn't what the fans want? Well hmph" interview last week).

I'm annoyed the Bulls are so quick. Imagine if Renault wasn't so inferior!

opinionated ow
03-31-14, 10:05 AM
Race was pretty dull, but I did enjoy parts of it. I hope the rumor is true that they may do away with the fuel economy requirements mid-season (Todt had an interesting "What? That isn't what the fans want? Well hmph" interview last week).

I'm annoyed the Bulls are so quick. Imagine if Renault wasn't so inferior!

Just proves that Newey is an absolute chassis/aeros genius...

Insomniac
03-31-14, 10:32 AM

Because they're teammates? Personally, that's the type of order that just makes sense. If you can't pass Button, let your teammate have a shot. So many things can happen.

Bottas passes Button getting more team points
Bottas passes Button and gets you an opening to also pass
Bottas and Button bump or take each other out, you get 2 spots
Bottas can't get by and you get your spot back

Massa was a douche. If I was Williams, he'd be sitting out Bahrain this week.

Andrew Longman
03-31-14, 11:49 AM
Forget the F1 race. There was an Indy car race yesterday that people here care even less about. We used to at least make fun of it. Actually, it was a reasonably entertaining race and Trevor was down there with credentials and took some excellent shots.

cameraman
03-31-14, 03:29 PM
The only mention I have seen of it was a random tweet saying that Will Power is an idiot. No explanation or anything just "Will Power is an idiot"

My dvr missed it so I guess I'll never know.:rolleyes:

stroker
03-31-14, 05:05 PM
Jeez, I forgot all about the Triumphant Return of Juan Pablo whatizface... How COULD I have forgotten that...? :shakehead:

Tifosi24
03-31-14, 07:27 PM
The only mention I have seen of it was a random tweet saying that Will Power is an idiot. No explanation or anything just "Will Power is an idiot"

My dvr missed it so I guess I'll never know.:rolleyes:

I only watched about 5-10 minutes of the race, and the Will Power incident was the part that I saw. Side note, Tif Jr. loves racing so it is beyond hilarious to see him pointing and making loud car noises when he sees race cars on tv. Back to the main comment, they were coming back to green on a restart and Power decided that he wanted to accordion the field when he got control of the field (similar to something Vettel got in trouble for a couple years back). Power was barely moving forward when folks started crashing into each other behind him, but from the replay he hadn't made it to the first acceleration cone. So, I don't believe he did anything wrong per the rules, but it was a bush league, D-move in my opinion. Goodyear and Cheever were ready to start throwing stones at his car from the announce booth. At that point, it was time to run errands, so I don't know what happened after that.

cameraman
03-31-14, 09:04 PM
Cheever is in the booth? :yuck: Yet one more reason to ignore it all.

Hard Driver
03-31-14, 10:43 PM
Cheever is in the booth? :yuck: Yet one more reason to ignore it all.

That was the worst part. Race wasn't so bad... but Cheever was annoying the crap out of me....

TrueBrit
04-01-14, 03:33 PM
That was the worst part. Race wasn't so bad... but Cheever was annoying the crap out of me....

Cheever and Goodyear...a commentating dream-team....for Dodgeball on The Ocho...

TravelGal
04-01-14, 06:03 PM
Cheever and Goodyear...a commentating dream-team....for Dodgeball on The Ocho...

I wouldn't even wish them on Dodgeball. I mean really. Ugh. Looking forward to PT. At least it will be honestly funny.

TedN
04-02-14, 06:12 AM
Toronto’s Paul Tracy will join NBC Sports as an analyst for six Verizon IndyCar races this season. He will start at the April 13 race at Long Beach and include the doubleheaders in Houston and Toronto plus the season finale in California

Link (http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/01/volatile-kurt-busch-has-already-repayed-haas-for-his-faith-in-him)

Ted

stroker
04-02-14, 10:55 AM
Link (http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/01/volatile-kurt-busch-has-already-repayed-haas-for-his-faith-in-him)

Ted

Why stop there? Why not put Tagliani in the booth too for some real fireworks! :)

chop456
04-03-14, 01:57 AM
Goodyear and Cheever were ready to start throwing stones at his car from the announce booth.

Goodyear feels justified in criticizing someone's restart skills? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mapguy
04-03-14, 05:30 AM
You know F1 is in a bad way when a thread gets hijacked about the earl race... :tony:

NismoZ
04-14-14, 09:17 AM
Oh, it's bad alright...especially at Ferrari. Domenicali just resigned as F1 Team Boss... Under pressure, I am sure. Just remember , "What is good for Ferrari IS good for Formula 1.":D

NismoZ
05-14-14, 02:14 PM
And getting WORSE!? Looks to me like 16 times as many "here" are MORE interested in IndyCar than F-1!:eek: Of course that interest isn't very POSITIVE.:D Can't recall a time when NO comments showed up reviewing a Pinochle event. I wonder what the root cause of that is? Turbo, V-6s? Exhaust note? Seriously? No red car up front all the time? Boredom? Putin!? Nobody did anything to warrant a little internet character assassination?

Insomniac
05-14-14, 03:45 PM
And getting WORSE!? Looks to me like 16 times as many "here" are MORE interested in IndyCar than F-1!:eek: Of course that interest isn't very POSITIVE.:D Can't recall a time when NO comments showed up reviewing a Pinochle event. I wonder what the root cause of that is? Turbo, V-6s? Exhaust note? Seriously? No red car up front all the time? Boredom? Putin!? Nobody did anything to warrant a little internet character assassination?

Guess there just wasn't much discussion worthy. I'd venture a bunch of people on here watched, but didn't think about it much after they turned the TV off.

stroker
05-14-14, 03:59 PM
Let's hope the problem is world-wide

cameraman
05-14-14, 04:47 PM
I watched all of the sessions. I haven't missed an F1 race for over a decade now.

datachicane
05-14-14, 07:04 PM
Exhaust note aside, I enjoyed Spain. Nice seeing Hamilton sweat a bit, he's gonna have to earn this one. Several good drives throughout the field.

WickerBill
05-15-14, 09:01 PM
Even when Vettel was dominating, he was never consistently lapping drivers who were in the top 10 like Hamilton is doing this year. I wish there were at least two teams up front.

I still love to watch the races though. Haven't missed one and won't...

TedN
05-17-14, 11:54 AM
Mercedes AMG Petronas tested an exhaust trumpet in Barcelona. The mechanics had their own ideas on the subject.

Link (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/no-comment-on-trumpets/)

:D

TrueBrit
05-23-14, 11:20 PM
The only thing more boring than watching a non-pointy chinned, dirty, cheating, chopping bastard win all the time, is watching a chocolate jeebus, bling-wearing, corporate spokesperson cardboard cut-out win all the time....I'll still watch Monaco just in case the NBC guys can got a shot of some naked silicon in the harbor before quickly cutting back to the action...but i'm more interested allbeit marginally, n the inevitable crash-fest in Indiana later in the day...

NismoZ
05-24-14, 12:04 AM
And THERE it is! It's over...TB is "more interested" in Indy. What's next, Kurt Busch wins the 500? Probably has a better chance to win or be competitive than anyone being able to defeat his F-1 fav! Gosh, remember how shocked some were when Hamilton left McLaren, thinking he had just made a huge mistake and was just chasing the money? Seems he got a better ride AND more money. Oh well, enjoy the technology and don't worry about who applies it best or how much it costs. Wait 'til NEXT year when EVerybody has double diffuser turbo-whatevers and THEN they go to n a flat-12s for '018!:thumbup:

datachicane
05-24-14, 03:23 PM
That 'chocolate jeebus, bling-wearing, corporate spokesperson cardboard cut-out' is one helluva driver.

cameraman
05-24-14, 05:19 PM
The only question is will there be blood at turn 1 tomorrow:eek:

Insomniac
05-24-14, 05:22 PM
I feel like they should've taken away Rosberg's fastest lap in qualifying. It just doesn't feel right him screwing up and guaranteeing he keeps pole.

gjc2
05-25-14, 07:11 AM
Was Rosberg’s off course excursion intentional?

trish
05-25-14, 07:52 AM
FYI Race is on NBC this morning and will re-air on NBCSN later today.

Insomniac
05-25-14, 03:42 PM
Was Rosberg’s off course excursion intentional?

No, they reviewed the data, said it was legit. Watching the onboard, I think he could've made the turn instead of going into the escape area. But regardless, just seems wrong that he was able to ruin the closing lap of qualifying because of a mistake. IMO, a fair penalty for anyone who does that is losing their fastest lap of the session. The error cost him his current lap and his competitor's their's. The latter deserved a penalty.

On a personal note, I thought his celebration was over the top given how he won it. But then again, I'm not the type of competitor they are. I'd have a problem "winning that way", the most competitive people don't care how they win, just that they do it seems.

cameraman
05-25-14, 04:35 PM
Hamilton was screwed out of his only real shot at Rosberg when his best ex-friend Sutil managed to crash all by himself. On a normal track Hamilton is the faster of the two drivers and when the circus hits Montreal I expect that Hamilton will return to the top step of the podium. Unless Red Bull pulls off an engineering miracle in the next two weeks they don't have a hope at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Who knows what is wrong with the McLaren, it should be much closer to the Mercs than it is.